Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There has to be some vital step we all missed, but there is precious little that a player can gently caress around with when it comes to mastering flight.

This is the first I've heard of poo poo breaking on that kind of scale, I don't think I've ever seen more than a few plane crashes in an entire game, plenty of breakdowns and thus slow-moving planes, but very few crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

lohli posted:

This is the first I've heard of poo poo breaking on that kind of scale, I don't think I've ever seen more than a few plane crashes in an entire game, plenty of breakdowns and thus slow-moving planes, but very few crashes.

They were basically cruise missiles.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

What is the deal with airports and airplanes?

Just played a game with a couple of pals and we all tried setting up airplane routes, using City airports. And ended up with something like a 95% crash rate on the suckers.

This was mentioned a few posts up about the custom version we are using. Were you using the same?

quote:

2. Airplanes aren't normally really crashy, but the version we use (and posted in the OP) has a bug where planes crash like 75% of the time unless crashes are disabled.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Aero737 posted:

This was mentioned a few posts up about the custom version we are using. Were you using the same?

Yes.

Its higher than 75%.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

What is the deal with airports and airplanes?

Just played a game with a couple of pals and we all tried setting up airplane routes, using City airports. And ended up with something like a 95% crash rate on the suckers. I tried different methods of routing the planes, leveling all the terrain around the airport, all the different planes, and despite all my efforts and research, nothing could stem the inevitable tide of tangled metal and death into each one of our airports. Even tried cracking out Small airports, and still every single plane would crash and burn.

There has to be some vital step we all missed, but there is precious little that a player can gently caress around with when it comes to mastering flight.

Something tells me that a point you might have missed in the thread was about how the train and bus networks are the main factors of the game and airports = free money, so various 'handicaps' have been put in place to help level the game out in some sort of regard.
Trains are rad : D

auzdark fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 10, 2011

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Dotcom656 posted:

So I've made a 32000x32000 world with high towns and industries. It's generating 50,000 towns and It's been at it for 5 minutes so far. I don't even know how many industries it's going to make.

No wonder the numbers turn red when you select those sizes. It's warning you not to loving do it!

EDIT: It finished generating towns after 25 minutes. Now its generating another 83,000 industries and its chugging like hell.

So I left it running and went to bed. It's been about 9 hours and it's still generating industries at about 1 industry per 5 seconds. It still has 20,000 more to go, which if my math is right, means it wont be done for another 27 hours.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dotcom656 posted:

So I left it running and went to bed. It's been about 9 hours and it's still generating industries at about 1 industry per 5 seconds. It still has 20,000 more to go, which if my math is right, means it wont be done for another 27 hours.

Hey here's a fun fact, each tile is I believe still 9 bytes in size, you have 32768*32768 of them which works out to about 9 gigabytes just to hold the map alone, have fun swapping memory for the next year.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Aero737 posted:

Does the SA multiplayer server turn crashes off? That sounds like a pretty lovely bug.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PalmTreeFun posted:

Does the SA multiplayer server turn crashes off? That sounds like a pretty lovely bug.

Yeah, it does.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Hey here's a fun fact, each tile is I believe still 9 bytes in size, you have 32768*32768 of them which works out to about 9 gigabytes just to hold the map alone, have fun swapping memory for the next year.

Well I have 8GB of RAM so I could hold at least half the map in active memory. Oh well I stopped the map generation anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

less than three posted:

Yeah, it does.

But, planes have historically been limited to such a small quantity as to be effectively useless.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Dotcom656 posted:

Well I have 8GB of RAM so I could hold at least half the map in active memory. Oh well I stopped the map generation anyway.

It needs to load the map each time step though so that's not really useful! You're probably looking at 10 frames per hour of gameplay, good luck with that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had a little stint on the server earlier.
It's kind of odd, going from my current offline game - where new trains cost £2m-£3m and running costs are astronomical - to go back to something where Monorail trains cost £80k and making money is dead easy.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I spent such a stupid amount of time on the server last night. I was up until 3 AM. I ended up building tracks across half the map. I even built train stations next to oil refineries because TRAINS.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

It needs to load the map each time step though so that's not really useful! You're probably looking at 10 frames per hour of gameplay, good luck with that.

I made another 32768x32768 map but I chose very low for number of towns and funding only for industries. It still took maybe 2-3 minutes to generate the map but now I have a plane going from one end to the other just to see what kind of cash it can make. This is going to take a while (Fast forward wont work either)

EDIT: It took a 295MPH aircraft 35 minutes(About 2.5 in game years) to fly across the map with 26 passengers and it gave me $42,000 In case anyone was wondering how much the "paper from Africa" factor was worth on this scale.

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 10, 2011

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Dotcom656 posted:

EDIT: It took a 295MPH aircraft 35 minutes(About 2.5 in game years) to fly across the map with 26 passengers and it gave me $42,000 In case anyone was wondering how much the "paper from Africa" factor was worth on this scale.

That's a $1,615 plane ticket per person for a one way trip. Hope it was first class!

EDIT: Also when is server usually reset?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Are my trains supposed to load this slow? The stuff is there, it just takes an in-game month to get into my train.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Are you talking about the loading goods into train part? If you have multiple trains at a station, it'll load them all up simultaneously and in parallel unless you have an option turned on in your configuration to let them load sequentially.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

One train, one station. Looping path from the oil well to the refinery. I can see the stockpile sitting in the station, as my little pixel-men move it onto the train via teaspoon.

Related note: How much capacity do I need to build for a given thing? I can see a 'x per month' indicator of how fast the commodity is coming out, do I try to meet some fraction of that figure?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Are your trains longer than your station? There is a penalty for loading/unloading when they are.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Apocadall posted:

That's a $1,615 plane ticket per person for a one way trip. Hope it was first class!

EDIT: Also when is server usually reset?

The prices get even better. I made a concord Jet full of 100 people, and it can make the trip in less than 10 minutes, When it does arrive it earns $1.4 Million which comes out to about $14,000 per plane ticket.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm not sure what happened with the earlier problem, but now I have one where my train full of oil tanks is sitting around next to 300,000 liters of oil, refusing to pick any up.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

I'm not sure what happened with the earlier problem, but now I have one where my train full of oil tanks is sitting around next to 300,000 liters of oil, refusing to pick any up.

Did you refit the cars for oil?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

This has always been an oil train. I bought oil tank cars. They've never been anything else. I don't understand the question :psyduck:

EDIT: I tried getting on IRC but there's nobody in the channel specified in the OP as far as I can tell.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 10, 2011

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

This has always been an oil train. I bought oil tank cars. They've never been anything else. I don't understand the question :psyduck:

Could it be something to do with the destination of oil? Maybe they don't want to send oil to where you're sending it. I can't remember which mod does that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm running the version from the OP.

Do conditional orders suck? I just wanted my train to have the option of loading up at a less-productive well if the more-productive well hadn't filled it up entirely, but removing the conditional jump is the only way to make him finish loading at the more-productive well before taking off.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

LordSaturn posted:

Do conditional orders suck? I just wanted my train to have the option of loading up at a less-productive well if the more-productive well hadn't filled it up entirely, but removing the conditional jump is the only way to make him finish loading at the more-productive well before taking off.

I'm not really familiar with conditional orders, but are you sure you haven't accidentally made leaving conditional on being 100% full? Screenshot and post your original and modified order lists if you're still stuck.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

LordSaturn posted:

Freight trains should always be set to full load, from one station. That's the most efficient way because it decreases the amount of time it's moving empty, increases the station rating, and decreases congestion at the destination stations.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I'm getting that hall of mirrors effect on the edges of the map that another person posted earlier in the thread with the version from the OP. Any idea what's causing it? It seems like the game is having trouble displaying the black space around the map so just fills it with whatever it can that's on the edge.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I think it may be time for a server reset. It keeps saying "too many vehicles in game" whenever I try to make another vehicle, even though I just went and deleted over a hundred vehicles to try and free up space for new vehicles (there are only 426 vehicles left in the game, which is way lower than what the ceiling should be I'm pretty sure). Also, it's nearly 2100 anyway.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just had a passenger train make a cool £740,000 on a single drop-off.
1300 passengers travelling 2/3 of a 2048x2048 map... yeah, that'll be a nice money-maker.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

So is there a way to disable industries just randomly disappearing? I know about Manual Industries, but it's not compatible with Town Growth Challenge and I like a lot of the new industries that adds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Willie Trombone posted:

I think it may be time for a server reset. It keeps saying "too many vehicles in game" whenever I try to make another vehicle, even though I just went and deleted over a hundred vehicles to try and free up space for new vehicles (there are only 426 vehicles left in the game, which is way lower than what the ceiling should be I'm pretty sure). Also, it's nearly 2100 anyway.

The error doesn't differentiate between vehicle types, even though the server does. Let me guess, trying to make more planes?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
There's a limit on each vehicle type per company.

Also server has been restarted.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Apparently the add-on installer in the game is a terrible beast and googling isn't helping much, so can anyone tell me if there's any way to add more industries that fit with the ones already there graphically? I tried out some packages called Vector something something and stuff like that but 1) they just took old industries and made their production lines way more complicated and 2) They seemed to remove the majority of old industries. What I really just want is a pack that adds, say, 20-100 new industries with their own production lines which may or may not intertwine with the old ones, but they co-exist with the old ones and fit in graphically.

I find it very hard to believe I'm the only one who wants this, and that it hasn't been made. I'm not really interested in making production of goods etc. take time or anything like that; just the added challenge/entertainment of new industries and possibly industries that evolve over time so you're not hauling 30s goods exclusively for 100 years.

Joda fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 14, 2011

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

The error doesn't differentiate between vehicle types, even though the server does. Let me guess, trying to make more planes?

No, I actually deleted all boats, planes, and road vehicles to try to make more trains (I myself never make anything other than trains and road vehicles going into cities because I find boats to actually be even worse than building up land for trains and I can never figure out how to get airports to work efficiently). Every train in my company had exactly 8 cars, and I guess the game counts each train car as its own vehicle, so I failed to pick up on 248 being a company-specific limit because in reality it's the rounder 250 train car limit preventing a new eight-car train being created after 31 trains had already been created. 31 trains seems like a low ceiling to me, but at least I know what I'm working with now haha.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Willie Trombone posted:

No, I actually deleted all boats, planes, and road vehicles to try to make more trains (I myself never make anything other than trains and road vehicles going into cities because I find boats to actually be even worse than building up land for trains and I can never figure out how to get airports to work efficiently). Every train in my company had exactly 8 cars, and I guess the game counts each train car as its own vehicle, so I failed to pick up on 248 being a company-specific limit because in reality it's the rounder 250 train car limit preventing a new eight-car train being created after 31 trains had already been created. 31 trains seems like a low ceiling to me, but at least I know what I'm working with now haha.

No, a train is a train, not a train car.

If the limit is say 256, you can have that many complete trains. Deleting other vehicle types won't help you get over that limit.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Joda posted:

Apparently the add-on installer in the game is a terrible beast and googling isn't helping much, so can anyone tell me if there's any way to add more industries that fit with the ones already there graphically? I tried out some packages called Vector something something and stuff like that but 1) they just took old industries and made their production lines way more complicated and 2) They seemed to remove the majority of old industries. What I really just want is a pack that adds, say, 20-100 new industries with their own production lines which may or may not intertwine with the old ones, but they co-exist with the old ones and fit in graphically.

I find it very hard to believe I'm the only one who wants this, and that it hasn't been made. I'm not really interested in making production of goods etc. take time or anything like that; just the added challenge/entertainment of new industries and possibly industries that evolve over time so you're not hauling 30s goods exclusively for 100 years.

You want FIRS. It fits perfectly.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Copy/paste is awesome.

Also, does anyone else find signals to be hard to see on the OpenGFX graphics set? I like everything else about it, but standard block signals are almost invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Wedesdo posted:

Copy/paste is awesome.

Also, does anyone else find signals to be hard to see on the OpenGFX graphics set? I like everything else about it, but standard block signals are almost invisible.

I think the buildings are really dumb looking, in the original set they're all nice and sharp and consistent but in OGFX they always seemed blobby and a mess.

It's a shame since the GUI is so much better in OpenGFX.

• Locked thread