Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

letsgoflyers81 posted:

They're pretty much the same, but it's $.10, come on man!

I like orange, sticking with Soundhound!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

C-Euro posted:

If I already grabbed SoundHound when it was on sale Monday, is it really worth it to grab Shazam Encore? Or is it a "it's $.10, come on man" situation?

They do the same thing but one annoying thing I found with Shazam was that I could never get it to not freak out if you change phone orientation while it's listening to something. I switched to SoundHound when it was featured on Amazon as a free app of the day.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Skeezy posted:

Been messing around with this for a while and I gotta say it's a heck of a lot better than the 2.0 updates were. The app finally tells you who re-tweets or favorites your tweets without the need of something like Favstar. Also the redesign is good and works well. Can't say the same for the changes to the web interface right now but whatever.

As of now in my opinion the official twitter app and Plume are the best twitter applications right now.

Does anybody else really wish the official Twitter app would do the "RT" style of quote retweets instead of using quotation marks? Probably the only reason I'm sticking with Plume at this point.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Thanks on the WidgetLocker advice. I'll probably purchase it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've been able to make purchases again on android market. I was having issues all morning trying to get the 10c apps.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

deong posted:

I've been able to make purchases again on android market. I was having issues all morning trying to get the 10c apps.

Are email receipts working as well? I got everything about an hour ago by just trying a bunch of times despite the error messages, and figured the emails would show up whenever Wallet was back to normal. But so far nothing.

Not that there's any harm done since the Market says they're purchased and the transactions show up on the Google Wallet website. But still, it doesn't feel right without "Order receipt from [developer]" emails flooding my Inbox.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 9, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

C-Euro posted:

If I already grabbed SoundHound when it was on sale Monday, is it really worth it to grab Shazam Encore? Or is it a "it's $.10, come on man" situation?

Speaking as a Shazam guy who got Soundhound on the 10 cent sale, I like Shazam a lot more. It's 10 cents, get both and decide later. That way, down the road when one app or the other gets lovely or great you don't have any heartache over switching.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Vagrancy posted:

Are email receipts working as well? I got everything about an hour ago by just trying a bunch of times despite the error meessages, and figured the emails would show up whenever Wallet was back to normal. But so far nothing.

Not that there's any harm done since the Market says they're purchased and the transactions show up on the Google Wallet website. But still, it doesn't feel right without the "Order receipt from [developer]" emails reassuringly flooding my Inbox.

Maybe it's related to the credit card provider. I'm using a VISA-branded debit card issued by my bank (which as far as I know works like any other VISA card) and I haven't had any problems at all, buying or getting the emails.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Maybe it's related to the credit card provider. I'm using a VISA-branded debit card issued by my bank (which as far as I know works like any other VISA card) and I haven't had any problems at all, buying or getting the emails.

That's the same card I have, and the Market has been dickish to me all day.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Really liking these 10 cent days, there's just a couple more I need to cover the ones I actually use from Amazon. I want to drop the Amazon market because it's a piece of poo poo, but I would miss my daily entertainment from the reviews.

superman75 posted:

1.0 out of 5 stars Am Jewish ..., December 9, 2011
This review is from: Snow Go Kiddo (App)
Christmas is a Christian holiday. My family is Jewish. This app is designed for Christian families with no regard to people of other faiths. Not very considerate.
which causes this:

R. Wilson posted:

1.0 out of 5 stars stop deleting my review Amazon, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Snow Go Kiddo (App)
i have kids they love this app but Amazo keeps deleting my review. why? Because I don't make up stuff like Superman75? I know he works for Amazon or something because everyday he writes a stupid review and everyday it stays up while all the legitimate reviews are deleted by Amazon. I address him specifically as he has trolled the crap out of me since the beginning and has gotten my reviews deleted everyday and had me banned from commenting yet Amazon keeps his review and deletes everyone who dares question him (look at the comments under his "review"). Why Amazon props this guy up is anyones guess.

I gave this app 5 stars but now 1 because I'm sick of it and Amazon deletes all my five star reviews but will allow one star. Sorry dev welcome to the free app of the day review system you just screwed your app because this is the Superman75 AppStore not Amazon.

This app is great for kids and is a 5 star app I wish I could rate it 5 stars without Amazon accusing me of being the developer and deleting it. There wer 27 5 star reviews for this app, why did Amazon delete 17 of them?

Screw it this will be deleted too, congrats Superman, you own Amazons review system, the most effective troll ever.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Also, the new Twitter app is terrible. The UI is ugly, runs slow, and lists the users by their profile name instead of Twitter handle. As a person who doesn't follow people I know in real life, I find it frustrating. Does anyone know where I can get the previous version?

You should go ahead and just get Plume. That's what I went back to after the initial shine of the new Twitter went away. They just released version 2.80 and here's the changelog for that again:

• Add support for Twitter Streaming for instantaneous updates when Plume is launched.
  • In the background, Plume is still polling every X minutes for now.
  • Add an outbox to queue message sending, retweet, favorite, etc even with no connection
  • Add support for using your tweet as a comment to an uploaded picture on the hosting server
  • Add TweetMarker support to save/restore your reading position across multiple devices (off by default)
  • Add support for position restoration on saved search
  • Add support for position restoration on lists
  • Add xhdpi support
  • Revamped a few user interface graphics to be more modern
  • Fix support for Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Fix some missing tweets that contain the same link multiple times
  • Fix the switch view (for multiple accounts)
  • Fix the saved search reloading
  • Many more fixes

They are also working on adding Facebook into Plume so there's that.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Go to Android Settings, Display, Notification Flash, and see if anything is unchecked. I have everything checked and I've never had a problem with the LED for any version of Gmail.

Everything is checked, of course there is no Gmail category. I presume Gmail falls under the Email one. I get the light for SMS, so I know the led at least works. I guess I'll try toggling the email setting off and back on and see what happens.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Skeezy posted:

You should go ahead and just get Plume. That's what I went back to after the initial shine of the new Twitter went away. They just released version 2.80 and here's the changelog for that again:

Add an outbox to queue message sending, retweet, favorite, etc even with no connection

This has been SO awesome, holy poo poo. I also like the streaming updates, too.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Skeezy posted:

• Add support for Twitter Streaming for instantaneous updates when Plume is launched.
  • In the background, Plume is still polling every X minutes for now.
  • Add an outbox to queue message sending, retweet, favorite, etc even with no connection
  • Add support for using your tweet as a comment to an uploaded picture on the hosting server
  • Add TweetMarker support to save/restore your reading position across multiple devices (off by default)
  • Add support for position restoration on saved search
  • Add support for position restoration on lists
  • Add xhdpi support
  • Revamped a few user interface graphics to be more modern
  • Fix support for Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Fix some missing tweets that contain the same link multiple times
  • Fix the switch view (for multiple accounts)
  • Fix the saved search reloading
  • Many more fixes

They are also working on adding Facebook into Plume so there's that.

Is there any easy way to get in contact with them? I'm still encountering a bug involving the widget where "View in Plume..." doesn't work as it used to.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Strand posted:

Seems to be like the last couple of days. A couple of decent productivity or fun apps (Shazam, Camera), 1 or 2 good games (Game Dev Story)

Spirit HD, Sentinel 3 (goon made,) Space Physics (been around since the 1.6 days,) and Jelly Defense are all awesome games. In fact I think I've bought 4 or so apps every day if not more.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AlexMoron posted:

Is there any easy way to get in contact with them? I'm still encountering a bug involving the widget where "View in Plume..." doesn't work as it used to.

Email from the Market. That dev replies within fifteen minutes most times.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

AlexMoron posted:

You could use the forum they have for the Beta to ask a question: http://levelupstudio.com/betatest/

There's also their actually twitter: https://twitter.com/levelupstudio or you could email them with whatever email they have in the Market. They are located in France so it takes them a while to actually reply to anything but they have been fairly quick when I've needed help.

LastInLine posted:

If anything yeah email is the best for them. Don't ask on Twitter cause it'll take a while which is strange but whatever.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 10, 2011

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Skeezy posted:

If anything yeah email is the best for them. Don't ask on Twitter cause it'll take a while which is strange but whatever.

Great. Forgot about the email only showing in the Market app. Thanks, guys. :)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Just got an email from Google about the market problems:

quote:

Hello,

We're writing to apologize for any accidental cancellation of your Android Market orders during our 10 Billion Downloads promotion. We'd like to inform you that as a one-time courtesy, we're giving you free access to all the apps you attempted to purchase. To download these apps, please follow these steps:

1) Open Android Market on your device
2) Press "Menu," and then touch "My Apps"
3) Scroll down and select the apps in question. They should be labeled as "Purchased" or "Not installed."
4) Touch "Install" to download and install the app

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Just got an email from Google about the market problems:

I got this too. I had Paper Camera canceled on me and I was just able to purchase it again for $.10.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Google Currents is really wicked if you hook it up to your Twitter feed with SiftLinks.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

az jan jananam posted:

Google Currents is really wicked if you hook it up to your Twitter feed with SiftLinks.

... basically re-creating Google Reader, before they balkanized it into what appears to be Currents and Plus -- neither of which really does the same job as well :(

With Currents, is there any way to group feeds together into a single stream, like folders in Reader? I've got a ton of low-post feeds, but the way Currents is laid out, it's really inconvenient to brows them. I'd like to clump them into subject-matter bundles. Right now it seems like Feedly is a bit better in this regard.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 10, 2011

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I skimmed the last few pages, but maybe I'm blind and missed an answer to this question:

Beautiful Widgets updated, and now I can't figure out how to change the clock skin. I can change the weather skin fine, but when I apply the clock skin, it stays with the default one even though it says the one I picked is applied.

Anyone else experience this?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I skimmed the last few pages, but maybe I'm blind and missed an answer to this question:

Beautiful Widgets updated, and now I can't figure out how to change the clock skin. I can change the weather skin fine, but when I apply the clock skin, it stays with the default one even though it says the one I picked is applied.

Anyone else experience this?

I got something like this, and it appears that if you delete a skin it reverts you to Standard skin, even if you didn't have the skin you deleted applied. Just re-apply the skin you want and that should be it.

If that isn't what you actually did, then no, I'm not getting what you are getting.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Essobie posted:

I got something like this, and it appears that if you delete a skin it reverts you to Standard skin, even if you didn't have the skin you deleted applied. Just re-apply the skin you want and that should be it.

If that isn't what you actually did, then no, I'm not getting what you are getting.

I had a skin for my clock widget. Beautiful Widgets updated, and it reverted the clock/weather widget back tot he default skin. All my existing skins were still installed, but no matter which skin I hit apply on, it would never show up on the widget. It would say the skin was applied, but nothing would change. I tried different skins, tried dowloading a new one and applied that, tried not applying a weather skin, nothing works. The weather skin changes fine, but I can't get any clock skin but the standard.

edit: figured it out, when you pick weather/clock widget, it will say it's obsolete, but you can still use it, and all changes apply to that one. The issue seems to be with the superclock widget.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Wow Game Devon Story is incredibly addictive.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I had a skin for my clock widget. Beautiful Widgets updated, and it reverted the clock/weather widget back tot he default skin. All my existing skins were still installed, but no matter which skin I hit apply on, it would never show up on the widget. It would say the skin was applied, but nothing would change. I tried different skins, tried dowloading a new one and applied that, tried not applying a weather skin, nothing works. The weather skin changes fine, but I can't get any clock skin but the standard.

edit: figured it out, when you pick weather/clock widget, it will say it's obsolete, but you can still use it, and all changes apply to that one. The issue seems to be with the superclock widget.

All of the sizes of the superclocks on mine work fine (outside of defaulting to standard if I delete any clock skins, that is). I don't even have anything called a "weather/clock" in my list of Beautiful Widgets.

Maybe you should uninstall and reinstall from scratch?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is Twitter for Android still the only one with push notifications?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Essobie posted:

All of the sizes of the superclocks on mine work fine (outside of defaulting to standard if I delete any clock skins, that is). I don't even have anything called a "weather/clock" in my list of Beautiful Widgets.

Maybe you should uninstall and reinstall from scratch?
I'm not having trouble either. Email the dev? It's same one as Plume above, actually.

There are comments in the Market that say they're having similar problems so I'm sure there will be an update soon.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

Is Twitter for Android still the only one with push notifications?

Yup.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
Today's $0.10 Apps (Day 5):

I can't find the last one. Will edit this list if/when I do. Given the current trend, I'm sure it's some kids thing.

Edit: Yup.

AlexMoron fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 10, 2011

dynodash
Jul 14, 2010
It's not possible to ignore app updates, is it? I don't give a poo poo about Twitter but it came installed on my phone and now I keep getting notifications to install the latest version of the official app.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Asphalt 6 and Sims 3 both not compatible with my Transformer :(

dynodash posted:

It's not possible to ignore app updates, is it? I don't give a poo poo about Twitter but it came installed on my phone and now I keep getting notifications to install the latest version of the official app.

If you don't give a poo poo about it, why don't you just update it then not use it? It's not going to kill your phone. If it really bothers you, root your phone and remove it.

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

dynodash posted:

If it's in the Android Market, go to Settings and choose "do not notify me" under notifications.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

AlexMoron posted:

Today's $0.10 Apps (Day 5):

I can't find the last one. Will edit this list if/when I do. Given the current trend, I'm sure it's some kids thing.

Edit: Yup.

Goddammit I had just bought Snowfall a few days before the 10-day sale was announced! :argh:

It's a pretty cool and season-appropriate live wallpaper, if anyone is wondering.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Anyone got any experience with the SlideIT Keyboard? I mean, I got it anyway but still, I'm fond of FlexT9 I got from an Amazon free daily but I'd like to move as much of my stuff to the Android Market as possible without paying a bunch of money.

Also, is there any app that will let me map the inside of a building (ie, no GPS)? I just started a new job that involves delivering laptops to cubicles in four different large office buildings and I can never find anything. Something that can just track where I've been walking would do.

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
So I bought AWDLauncher during this sale and I'm really liking it, and have it set up nicely.

The only problem is that when I click the home button on my SII it drops me to the home screen with the default launcher.

I downloaded an app called Home switcher but although I can launch it alright if I click "set as default" it force closes on me.

Any suggestions or maybe a setting I've missed somewhere?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications. Find your default launcher, tap it, should be a button to clear it as the default.

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse

Manky posted:

Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications. Find your default launcher, tap it, should be a button to clear it as the default.

That did it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gilok posted:

Anyone got any experience with the SlideIT Keyboard? I mean, I got it anyway but still, I'm fond of FlexT9 I got from an Amazon free daily but I'd like to move as much of my stuff to the Android Market as possible without paying a bunch of money.

I got it just now and I'm really liking it, but I'm weird and always type in portrait mode with one finger so it sped me up a lot. I can't figure out how to do some words with repeating letters easily though (eg "good" comes out as "god"), others that aren't ambiguous it doubles the letter automatically (eg "stuf" becomes "stuff").

• Locked thread