Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Trying to get into Sons of Anarchy. I'm on season 1, episode 6. I very much feel like giving up on this. I think that particular south park episode is ruining this for me, combined with the fact that I don't find any of the characters interesting or likable so far.

How much more should I watch before I can say I 'gave it an honest chance'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

suction posted:

Did you see Skyler & Saul on Seinfeld as well?
Yeah... I didn't know Anna Gunn was on Seinfeld until I read her IMDB when I started watching the show, and I've been a fan of Bob Odenkirk after watching (and rewatching) Mr. Show a few years ago and I recognized him in the Seinfeld episode he guest starred in long before I knew he was even on Breaking Bad.

It's funny that I've never seen anyone mention Cranston guest starring on Seinfeld. Everyone seems to remember him as the dad on Malcom in the Middle, which I never watched back when it was on, but I hear it was actually a pretty funny show. :shobon:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Obeast posted:

It's funny that I've never seen anyone mention Cranston guest starring on Seinfeld. Everyone seems to remember him as the dad on Malcom in the Middle, which I never watched back when it was on, but I hear it was actually a pretty funny show. :shobon:

It's really really really really funny and Cranston is the funniest thing in it. Watch it now. It's surprisingly edgy too and hides in a lot of innuendo that I couldn't get as a kid - especially when the show progresses. I'd easily put it on my top ten favorite shows of all time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DarkCrawler posted:

It's really really really really funny and Cranston is the funniest thing in it. Watch it now. It's surprisingly edgy too and hides in a lot of innuendo that I couldn't get as a kid - especially when the show progresses. I'd easily put it on my top ten favorite shows of all time.

Yeah, it's a great show and Cranston was the highlight of the whole thing especially once Frankie Muniz became overexposed and unbearable at the time.

Anyways, to contribute. With the Oz megathread from last summer pretty much dead and buried I guess I'll mention I finished the second season just yesterday. You know how with most shows as old as Oz most people say they are pretty tame compared to today's standards? This is not the case with Oz. This show is one of the most brutal, grim and bleak shows I've ever seen and I can only imagine what people thought in 1997. The scene where the pedophiliac priest literally gets crucified to the gym floor by the Aryans from the Season 2 finale gave me a nightmare that night. Spoilered that one because this is a thread for people who are looking to get into shows and experiencing them for the first time.

It's a fantastic show so far and as someone who loves moral ambiguity in fiction seeing good people do horrible things and horrible people have a kind moment sells the performances to me. I'm told later seasons start to get a little iffy but I plan on watching this one all the way through.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Anyways, to contribute. With the Oz megathread from last summer pretty much dead and buried I guess I'll mention I finished the second season just yesterday. You know how with most shows as old as Oz most people say they are pretty tame compared to today's standards? This is not the case with Oz. This show is one of the most brutal, grim and bleak shows I've ever seen and I can only imagine what people thought in 1997. The scene where the pedophiliac priest literally gets crucified to the gym floor by the Aryans from the Season 2 finale gave me a nightmare that night. Spoilered that one because this is a thread for people who are looking to get into shows and experiencing them for the first time.

It's a fantastic show so far and as someone who loves moral ambiguity in fiction seeing good people do horrible things and horrible people have a kind moment sells the performances to me. I'm told later seasons start to get a little iffy but I plan on watching this one all the way through.

Here's a link to the thread anyway, just out of my hope to snare another viewer into the show.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413519&highlight=

If you guys haven't seen or heard of OZ, read my OP, I think I make a pretty convincing case for it. Easily available on HBO GO.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Here's a link to the thread anyway, just out of my hope to snare another viewer into the show.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413519&highlight=

If you guys haven't seen or heard of OZ, read my OP, I think I make a pretty convincing case for it. Easily available on HBO GO.

Also after watching it watch Spider-man and Law and Order SVU and you will have a completely different viewing experience.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Jingleheimer posted:

I'm going through Psych right now and I'm loving every second of it. I'm almost done with the second season and I'm super excited that I'm not even half way through it yet.

The even better part is that it gets better and better. The current season has had some of the best episodes so far.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I recently rewatched Breaking Bad seasons 1-3 to refresh myself for season 4, which i then also watched. Goddamn amazing and one of the best things on television ever.

I got into Peep Show via David Mitchell on QI and Would I Lie To You, and while it's pretty corny, sometimes its amazing. Watched season 1-6 in four days and highly recommend it.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Pron on VHS posted:

The Shield's a show that hums along at a good pace for 4 seasons and then suddenly it explodes like a loving grenade for the rest of the series.

You were exactly right. Finished the series tonight. Holy poo poo.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Secks posted:

You were exactly right. Finished the series tonight. Holy poo poo.

And nice use of words from Pron on VHS :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Since you finished Shield watch Justified. It has Shane and it is awesome.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Piano posted:

Trying to get into Sons of Anarchy. I'm on season 1, episode 6. I very much feel like giving up on this. I think that particular south park episode is ruining this for me, combined with the fact that I don't find any of the characters interesting or likable so far.

How much more should I watch before I can say I 'gave it an honest chance'?

I hate to do this, but start watching it like a Shakespeare play. Sutter, the creator of the show, used Hamlet as the inspiration for the show and it really shows up in certain parts of it.

Also, the first couple episodes of the first season are a little slow, if I remember correctly. The last seven episode it starts to pick up and the second season is really good, it's probably my favorite season so far.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Got around to watching all of season 4 of Damages, kinda forgot about it after it moved to DirectTV. The storyline for the season was decent, a lot more random killing of people though.

ColonelSplendid
Jan 4, 2011
I'm finally powering through ST: Voyager, on season 4 right now. I'm a little sad because Kes was way hotter than seven of nine.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

ColonelSplendid posted:

I'm finally powering through ST: Voyager, on season 4 right now. I'm a little sad because Kes was way hotter than seven of nine.

Kes wasn't banging Brannon Braga

ColonelSplendid
Jan 4, 2011

Simstim posted:

Kes wasn't banging Brannon Braga

I can see both sides of it, i really thought that the show needed a data of some kind, that maybe the doctor could fill that role after some tweaking, but instead they decided to remove one of the better characters and bring in seven.

Also i really really hope they kill off neelix, he is loving annoying.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ColonelSplendid posted:

I can see both sides of it, i really thought that the show needed a data of some kind, that maybe the doctor could fill that role after some tweaking, but instead they decided to remove one of the better characters and bring in seven.

Also i really really hope they kill off neelix, he is loving annoying.

Originally it was going to be Kim but he was on peoples most beautiful people list

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
I'm just about to watch the final episode of season one of Luther.

This show is absolutely blowing me away. The acting is top notch, especially by Idris Elba. I also like how the show doesn't pull any punches. I really hope season two is put on Netflix soon.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I'm almost caught up on The Office (U.S.), just started into the 7th season yesterday. Most of season 4 and portions of 6 were painful, other than that it's been an enjoyable romp. I was almost turned off when they started to make every character a caricature instead of presenting something realistic, but then I stopped taking things seriously and it got fun again.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

The Slap, a drama from the ABC (the Australian network, not the American network of the same name). It's been getting a lot of media coverage over the key issue - a guy slapping a kid who was being a brat. It's pretty good stuff, given Australian drama is usually pretty turgid stuff.

Happyfacecrazy
Jul 30, 2010

Soft Kitty...
Warm Kitty...
Little Ball of Fur.
Happy Kitty...
Sleepy Kitty...
Purr, Purr, Purrr.
Just got through a season of Bones and going on to another one. I just love Brennan's blunt intelligence towards people, new season is great.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
How To Make It in America. Watched the entire two seasons (which admittedly are short and the episodes are only half-hours) almost back to back because I became addicted, which hasn't happened to me in a while, not since Breaking Bad I think. What surprised me is how much heart it has, it's thoughtful and even kind of adorable. The secret ingredient is Lake Bell, she does for this show what Jeremy Piven did for Entourage. Without her it would still be enjoyable, but she elevates it to the next level with a beguiling mix of quirk and grace. For what would seem to be a show intended for a male-skewing audience, it's impressive how the writers give her storylines and character development the same amount and level of consideration as the other main two (one being the boys and the other being the uncle). Three main plotlines with characters that are in their own way all trying to figure out not just how to make it, but also why.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I'm now three episodes into Band of Brothers, and it is indeed fantastic! I'll no doubt be through the entire mini-series before long. (and I've got Misfits on standby, for when that happens :D)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

First three seasons of Breaking Bad, which are awesome. Then a break for season 4, so going through season one of The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

All haters must watch the episode where Hal (Cranston) gets in to speed walking.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
Terriers was just added to Netflix instant, and everyone I've spoken about the show to loves it, so I guess that's my next binge. I hope it's as good as I've heard.

foastwab fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 6, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was hooked by episode 4. When I first heard of it I honestly though it was a sitcom about dogs.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I was hooked by episode 4. When I first heard of it I honestly though it was a sitcom about dogs.

There is no doubt in my mind that I would have watched that show as well.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Before last week I had never seen an episode of any incarnation of Doctor Who or any of its spin-offs. I saw a YouTube video a few weeks ago of a Minecraft mod inspired by the "Weeping Angels" from a particular Doctor Who episode. This piqued my interest in the series.

I'm plowing through the 2005-era episodes of the show on Netflix right now. So far I'm impressed by the inventiveness (and outright weirdness) of the story. Reminds me quite a bit of the Hitchhiker's Guide books, which I loved when I was in high school.

Really enjoying the show so far. Also, Billie Piper is really drat cute.

Feb 8, 2008

Radiapathy posted:

Before last week I had never seen an episode of any incarnation of Doctor Who or any of its spin-offs. I saw a YouTube video a few weeks ago of a Minecraft mod inspired by the "Weeping Angels" from a particular Doctor Who episode. This piqued my interest in the series.

I'm plowing through the 2005-era episodes of the show on Netflix right now. So far I'm impressed by the inventiveness (and outright weirdness) of the story. Reminds me quite a bit of the Hitchhiker's Guide books, which I loved when I was in high school.

Really enjoying the show so far. Also, Billie Piper is really drat cute.

A few words of advice on Doctor Who... Don't go into the Doctor Who thread here, don't listen to anyone's opinion on anything Who related ever, and don't over think anything that happens in the show.

While Billie Piper is cute and all... wait till you get to Karen Gillan

7734 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 6, 2011

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Breaking Bad had been really awesome up until season 3 and now, half way through the season, IT IS EVEN BETTER!

Holy poo poo! It keeps getting better. I didn't think that was even possible.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Scrapez posted:

Breaking Bad had been really awesome up until season 3 and now, half way through the season, IT IS EVEN BETTER!

Holy poo poo! It keeps getting better. I didn't think that was even possible.
You will not believe the last few episodes of Season 4. I ordered the season on iTunes so I could watch it at the gym. I'm sure I startled and annoyed many nearby gym patrons by repeatedly yelling, "Holy poo poo!" at my iPod.

So loving worth it.

7734 posted:

A few words of advice on Doctor Who... Don't go into the Doctor Who thread here, don't listen to anyone's opinion on anything Who related ever, and don't over think anything that happens in the show.
Of course now I've got to check out that thread, heh. But I'll heed your advice. I tend to just enjoy what I enjoy without analyzing it too much.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 6, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just poopsocked through Homeland. It's decent although I probably won't watch it again.

I'm up to episode 4 of Bored to Death. I'm bored to death and haven't laughed once. Is there a point to this show?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bored to Death really gets going in about episode 6, when Danson and Galifianakis start to become part of the main plots. Seasons 2 and 3 are pretty much 100% excellent.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just started binging through Community a few days ago. It was pretty funny until the chicken fingers/Goodfellas episode, then suddenly it hit another level and now I'm pretty hooked.

Festis
Feb 15, 2010

The Birthday Hobo

Remember Kids:
Vinegar'll get ya drunk!
I have become obsessed with The Larry Sanders Show. Rip Torn and Jeffrey Tambor are national treasures and if you doubt that watch any episode. Plus the litany of awesome guests/recurring characters is amazing. (Bob Odenkirk as a sort-of sleazy agent!) The only trouble is none of my friends have watched it so I end up talking about it or referencing jokes and then having to explain episodes until I realize they've glazed over. :(

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
I watched the entire first season of In Treatment in like five days and I have no idea if the show is good or not. I really enjoyed it but I apparently have a massive blind spot for therapy dramas so I don't trust my own opinion.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

McNutty posted:

I watched the entire first season of In Treatment in like five days and I have no idea if the show is good or not. I really enjoyed it but I apparently have a massive blind spot for therapy dramas so I don't trust my own opinion.

I thought it was mostly great, and I went in pretty skeptical. Gabriel Byrne was masterful and the rest of the cast was almost uniformly excellent. The structure was every bit as bold as Lost or 24. It had room to tell stories that wouldn't fit in anywhere else on television, even if they didn't all work to the same degree.

Pace yourself on the rest, though, a binge can be a little too draining.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

McNutty posted:

Y'know, this is a really good point to make in a general way. There are shows that I subjectively enjoy the hell out of, but on an objective level have no clue about the actual quality because I'm too blinded by how much I like it. For instance I can always watch ridiculous sci-fi mystery shows like Flashforward or The Event, but I know they're actually pretty lovely and kinda suck. This is totally different from watching a show like The Wire or Deadwood, which I know are really great in a purely objective sense in addition to enjoying them. Like, I can watch a high-quality show about any subject and within pretty much any genre or form, but when it comes to the average middle-of-the-road stuff I stick to certain things.

But I think it's important to at least recognize this. The people who are able to understand that about themselves can make good recommendations to others, and the people who don't always make poor or inconsistent ones. This is also why I never discuss anime on my SA account, actually - I'm totally aware that the anime I like is incredibly horrible and awful and I would be beyond embarrassed to discuss them amongst people that don't, erm, already share my tastes.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
A bout of insomnia led to me shotgunning all six episodes of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. Not a huge run but apparently the second (and what should logically be the last?) series starts early next year.

I enjoy the artificial deadline the series set for itself from the beginning. Todd Margaret is not a very likeable character but Cross manages to make him sympathetic (My Fanny!) occasionally.

Will Arnett is basically playing Gob from "Afternoon Delight" and I like it. Much better than Running Wilde, which is the only other thing I've seen of him recently.

It's very accessible even if you aren't familiar with British television.