Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Alpine Mustache posted:

How was nobody killed when one guy had a heart attack at Mach 2?

Its referring to being in the hospital casualty bay. Still alive but injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

kastein posted:

My tanks don't have caps... I should probably see if I can find some to buy that will fit. Any idea if they take the same size cap as the big-boy tanks?

When I transport my torch tanks (oxy/ace) in an enclosed vehicle, I roll with all the windows open, and check the valve before I put it in, which is right before I turn the car on. And it only stays in the car as long as it takes to drive where I am going. I really don't like the chance of explosions.

Normally I try to use the pickup to transport those tanks. I am a bit less worried about the 75/25 tank simply because it won't explode. Still the risk of asphyxiation though.
I cart around oxy acet, but that's the main reason why I have a falcon ute for work, I don't want any refrigerant or oxy acet cylinders inside the passenger compartment.
Heap of A/C companies use vans though, and have oxy acet and refrigerant cylinders in them, stuff that though.
Actually I don't use the oxy acet much anymore, so leave at at home unless doing really big brazing jobs. I bought a small portable turboset 200 that uses disposable oxy and MAPP cylinders. Expensive to run, (AU$60 oxy cylinder only gives 30min of braze time), but leaves a lot more room in the ute, and easier to carry up onto rooftops for small leak repairs and compressor changes.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 9, 2011

Wild Bill
Oct 4, 2001

Alpine Mustache posted:

How was nobody killed when one guy had a heart attack at Mach 2?

The guy wasn't actually at Mach 2, the author was saying the technician started hauling balls as soon as a ton of highly poisonous, highly corrosive liquid spilled out and set the concrete floor on fire. In the course of getting away from hell on earth, the guy had a heart attack from the terror of what was going on behind him and the strain of sprinting as fast as possible but didn't die.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Wild Bill posted:

The guy wasn't actually at Mach 2, the author was saying the technician started hauling balls as soon as a ton of highly poisonous, highly corrosive liquid spilled out and set the concrete floor on fire. In the course of getting away from hell on earth, the guy had a heart attack from the terror of what was going on behind him and the strain of sprinting as fast as possible but didn't die.

I'm pretty sure that at 28 years old and in ok shape, I'd have a loving heart attack or two running from that stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EightBit posted:

I'm pretty sure that at 28 years old and in ok shape, I'd have a loving heart attack or two running from that stuff.

To be fair, it's actually pretty hard sprinting all-out while screaming profanities.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

At supersonic speeds, you can't hear the profanities until the runner has passed. Then you hear the swearwave with a doppler tail. SHIThellgently caressrear endballs

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Peace! I'm out.
:: bounces ::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4KkMJVfRRw

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Bang Me Please posted:

Only if you've got a drier in the line after the compressor. Water will still collect on hot & humid or rainy days even in new compressors.
Yeah but any person who doesn't want their equipment utterly destroyed should have one.
Anyway, I wish I had my camera today. I saw my first horrible mechanical failure that probably pissed off everyone on Massachusetts avenue in Boston. There was a bus spurting off so much smoke in its exhaust that it literally through the entire street into a fog. Anyone care to guess what it was? I'm guessing oil but holy crap.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 10, 2011

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yeah but any person who doesn't want their equipment utterly destroyed should have one.
Anyway, I wish I had my camera today. I saw my first horrible mechanical failure that probably pissed off everyone on Massachusetts avenue in Boston. There was a bus spurting off so much smoke in its exhaust that it literally through the entire street into a fog. Anyone care to guess what it was? I'm guessing oil but holy crap.

Probably a boost leak or turbo failure (one that didn't cause a ton of oil to go down the intake). Usually when diesels start drinking their own oil they go into a runaway state.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

quote:

I wish I could find it, but I believe in this very thread (IIRC) is a long conversation detailing how a surprising percentage of the people who deliver/store liquid nitrogen are oftentimes extreme yobbos who seem to have no problem replacing removing pressure relief valves, or transporting dewars inside elevators or other dangerous closed spaces.
I missed this but transporting dewars in elevators isn't all that dangerous. A liquid nitrogen dewar that I typically use is triple redundant. You have the 30 PSI safety valve, a 120 PSI safety valve, and a burst cap somewhere.

quote:

Probably a boost leak or turbo failure (one that didn't cause a ton of oil to go down the intake). Usually when diesels start drinking their own oil they go into a runaway state.
Thanks. It sure was spectacular though. Like one of those old fashion villain fog weapons.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 10, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Found it, starting post

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=82&perpage=40#post392091874

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Oooo yeah. The most disturbing thing as I pointed out is that those dewars typically have three safety features. Someone idiotically circumvented three safety valves on the device. :psyduck:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Please do not take your helmet off or get out of your car after an incident on track :(

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

MadScientistWorking posted:

I missed this but transporting dewars in elevators isn't all that dangerous. A liquid nitrogen dewar that I typically use is triple redundant. You have the 30 PSI safety valve, a 120 PSI safety valve, and a burst cap somewhere.

I think the risk is if something goes wrong and you get stuck in the elevator with it for any length of time.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've been wondering about the elevator thing, too. I work with both liquid nitrogen and liquid helium (physics lab) and we regularly travel with dewars in the elevator because the helium liquifier is in the basement and the lab is on the 3rd floor. How else am I supposed to get it up there, send it up unattended in the elevator while I run up the stairs?

This is a serious question, everyone here rides with the dewar. But sometimes I'm riding up and I'm like "huh, what would happen if this ruptured?"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ideally send it up alone, with someone waiting to pick it up. Good practice to put a big fuckoff sign on the dewar so your buddy doesn't open the door to find some douche fiddling with the dewar cause they got in the lift with a strange bit of equipment :downs:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Actually, I should ask this. By dewar what do you mean? That can refer to five differently shaped pieces of equipment I have sitting in my lab.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 10, 2011

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

When I hear dewar I think about the giant fuckoff 350lb bottles of liquid CO2 or whatever. The ones that are a bitch to move with a cart, and suicidal to move if you're asked to move it more than three feet or so without one.

E:

corgski fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 10, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Really, you can call any kind of vacuum flask/canister a Dewar.

One of the things that wound me up about Stephen Baxter's Anti-Ice was that they had Dewar flasks, even though the story is set before he invented them. Yes, I know it's hardly relevant considering the other alternative history stuff involved in the book, but still. :scotland:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
all this talk of liquid nitrogen, and no photos of destruction wrought by it?

We used to transport liquid nitrogen from the spigot to the equipment in open styrofoam containers, you'd definately not want to do that in an enclosed space.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I used to blow poo poo up with it in my back yard. Putting it in a 2L soda bottle and tossing it in the pond always resulted in a hell of a bang. I liked it because there was no chance of causing a fire.

Had some friends in the low temp / superconductors / wacky resonance crap (not NMR, low freq resonance research of some kind) lab at a nearby college, so every christmas or summer break he'd let us take as much as we wanted before they returned their half-used dewars to the cryo company. Figured it was going to go to waste or back to them anyways, so why not have some fun with it?

We froze a lot of stuff, blew a lot of stuff up, and even discovered that it cleans linoleum pretty nicely. Flash freezes all the grime off of it, and picks up the fragments on the surface of the fluid and washes it into one spot. You can freeze alcoholic drinks with it too but you want to let it warm up a bit before eating it, or you'll get frostbite.

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

grover posted:

We used to transport liquid nitrogen from the spigot to the equipment in open styrofoam containers, you'd definately not want to do that in an enclosed space.

I work In a gas production facility and I see all sorts of poo poo. Ruptured acetylene cylinders, cylinders that have been in fires etc. The most disturbing thing that I see on a regular basis are oxygen cylinders returned covered in grease or oils.

I'm on vacation for the next week but I'll see if I can get access to pictures of some of the accident photos.

I've never seen anything like that posted photo though. I can't imagine what would posses someone to put plugs in a dewar.

There is also the completely boring story of how I almost killed everyone in my plant with chlorine gas if anyone is interested.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Farside posted:

There is also the completely boring story of how I almost killed everyone in my plant with chlorine gas if anyone is interested.
Boring? Well, I dunno... I suppose you can tell it if you want to. I mean, how interesting could a story be about nearly killing everyone anyway? (TELL IT!)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Farside posted:

Don't tease us like that man.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

I don't know what a metal flouride fire looks like, but I sure don't want to find out.

Kind of on topic, my dad was the superintendent of maintenance at a chemical plant for like 20 years. That means I'm terrified of weird things, like railway cars filled with benzene. If those trains went off, it would have leveled everything for a mile.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

I don't know what a metal flouride fire looks like, but I sure don't want to find out.

Kind of on topic, my dad was the superintendent of maintenance at a chemical plant for like 20 years. That means I'm terrified of weird things, like railway cars filled with benzene. If those trains went off, it would have leveled everything for a mile.

:cry:

I don't like thinking what those 'corrosive/explosive' placards on tankers/train cars really, actually means. I prefer to live in absolute ignorance of my upcoming fiery, quick death. (You know, if I'm lucky)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

VikingSkull posted:

Here's some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtWp45Eewtw

(the fun starts at 2:35)

Note the way the cold fluorine gas burns a hole straight through a ball of cold steel wool with no source of ignition... :stare:

really not anything you want to gently caress around with, especially if your metals are the light and fluffy sort from the left end of the periodic table.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 10, 2011

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They give THAT guy fluorine?

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

VikingSkull posted:

They give THAT guy fluorine?

I think its more of a matter of only "THAT guy" will work with it.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Wibbleman posted:

I think its more of a matter of only "THAT guy" will work with it.

I stared at the lack of safety gear and just cringed. One part failure in the transportation or regulation of the gas and suddenly your neat "lets burn steel wool" experiment becomes a "lets test how everything in this loving lab reacts with fluorine!" experiment.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

grover posted:

I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of the operation, but a friend of mine works for his father who owns an interior trim/door/window wholesaling business. A couple of years ago they bought a former plastic injection molding plant that had about five times more floor space than they needed (guess he got it for a song and by renting out the excess space he actually turns a profit on the building), subdivided the warehouse and rented about 70% of the excess space out to a guy who does rubber/plastic recycling with a liquid nitrogen hammermill...they basically take old tires or plastic injection molding waste, freeze it with the liquid nitrogen and then the hammermill turns it into fine powder.

Yesterday all of the smoke detectors in their unit went off and the fire suppression sprinklers activated because they didn't have a bag tied correctly to the output side of the mill and the rubber particles tripped the smoke detectors.

The :psyduck: part of this? Apparently the fire marshal was interviewing the employees and it came out that they know to open the doors and turn on the ventilation system when their propane-powered fork lift won't start because the nitrogen rolling out of the hammermill has displaced too much oxygen for the engine to turn over.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

Yesterday all of the smoke detectors in their unit went off and the fire suppression sprinklers activated

This doesn't make any sense at all.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Motronic posted:

This doesn't make any sense at all.

v0v that's the story I was told, I wasn't there. IIRC they had to put some highly expensive fire suppression system in because of the inherent fire hazard of storing several hundred tons of pulverized rubber waiting to be shipped back to their customer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

v0v that's the story I was told, I wasn't there. IIRC they had to put some highly expensive fire suppression system in because of the inherent fire hazard of storing several hundred tons of pulverized rubber waiting to be shipped back to their customer.

It's possible they have to have a deluge system (which has heads that don't need to be heated to open), but deluge systems require double activation (a photoelectric smoke plus.......a heat detector, an ionization detector.......). I believe that's the story you heard....just cautioning you that it doesn't add up (to someone who is a nationally certified commercial fire investigator and former fire marshal).

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64
This is how I nearly killed all my coworkwers with gaseous chlorine 12 years ago.

Back story:

To make a long story short. The previous plant foreman was trying to make himself look good by saving the company a gently caress ton of money. How did he do this? By not scrapping any cylinders for years. A cylinder can be scrapped for any number of reasons and there are specific things we look for even before we can refill them. There were thousands of scrap cylinders rusting away in our back lot. Not sure what prompted corporate to finally take action but he gets fired and a new foreman is brought in.

This is where I come in. The new foreman hires 3 people to work in cylinder maintenance to clean up this gigantic mess. We were taught only on how to process these cylinders. How to check the cylinders for pressure and de-valving them (de-valving a pressurized cylinder is very bad), and what to do with the resultant scrap afterwards. Cylinder valves which are brass, cylinders are steel and aluminum were to be sent to be recycled and acetylene was to be sent to the landfill. Acetylene cylinders are filled with a filler (usually calcium silicate, but older ones have asbestos in them) and it isn't cost effective to recycle them. We were also taught on how to use the various equipment to get this all done. Nothing more.

About 2 months after I was hired, on a Friday towards quitting time in the middle of August, I was setting up the next batch of cylinders to be processed. This involved lining up 50 or so cylinders and and draining them. This was done outside in our back lot for obvious reasons. So I'm going down the rows opening these cylinders a crack to let their contents drain. I finish up with the last one and turn around to see the fire strobes in the plant going off. I couldn't hear the alarm over 50 cylinders draining. That gets kind of loud. Plus I had earplugs and ear muffs on. So I haul rear end to the established meeting place so the managers can count heads to make sure everyone is accounted for. At the meet up I found out there was no fire but that the plant had been filled with chlorine gas. We speculated that it was an employee that had left just before the chlorine filled the plant (he was disgruntled but that's another story). We were all told to go home.

Monday morning when I clock in I'm paged to the foreman's office. This wasn't out of the ordinary we usually gave him updates on how the scrapping was going. I get there and there are two other people in suits in the office. They tell me to close the door. One of them turned out to be the safety director and the other was a VP of the company. The safety director starts grilling me about chlorine and why I opened it and how he wants my head on a platter. I'm baffled and basically say what the gently caress are you talking about. I didn't even know the plant had chlorine cylinders at this point in time.

The long and short of it was that the safety director wanted me fired immediately and the VP saved my rear end. I walked through what my procedures were and what I did that day and how it came to be that I flooded the plant with chlorine.

Turns out that the chlorine cylinders were not labeled in anyway. not surprising since they were rotting for years outside and were rusty as hell. I had actually opened 2 of them. They were in the first row of cylinders I opened. There was a breeze that day that blew the chlorine away from me and towards the plant, which is the reason I never smelled it. We were never trained on how to spot a poison gas cylinder (they have a certain valve type). There should have never been poison gas in the scrap pile in the first place. Through the course of our endeavors we found a total of 4 more poison gas cylinders (all chlorine), now that we knew what to look for.

I always wondered why the VP went to bat for me. A person that was a new hire and that he had never met. I found out years later that the safety director was partially responsible for the mess in the first place. He was supposed to be doing safety inspections on all plants and their grounds. Well he got the plant part but not the grounds part. The VP called him on his bullshit and basically said if he had been doing his job properly the cylinders wouldn't have been there in the first place. I still see the safety directer for safety training a few times a year. He still doesn't like me. Probably because I'm a reminder of his gently caress up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Farside posted:

I always wondered why the VP went to bat for me. A person that was a new hire and that he had never met. I found out years later that the safety director was partially responsible for the mess in the first place. He was supposed to be doing safety inspections on all plants and their grounds. Well he got the plant part but not the grounds part. The VP called him on his bullshit and basically said if he had been doing his job properly the cylinders wouldn't have been there in the first place. I still see the safety directer for safety training a few times a year. He still doesn't like me. Probably because I'm a reminder of his gently caress up.
Yeah, I try to be like this at work with things that are nonconformances/safety breaches or whatever - I appreciate that things are meant to be done a certain way, and that a situation shouldn't have arisen, but I won't see someone thrown under a bus because they didn't know what they were never told about how to do their job properly.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I just told my dad about that story and he was laughing about it. I guess they had a boiler explosion that was kind of similar, fuckup at a higher level and a newer hire let the pressure build too much. It landed a quarter mile away.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ladies and gentlemen, check your parking brakes...

(from Bring A Trailer, my hosting)

Was in there for the better part of an hour :(

abbreviated story here http://bringatrailer.com/2011/12/07/wheel-chock-delete-1968-porsche-912/

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 11, 2011

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

PainterofCrap posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, check your parking brakes...

(from Bring A Trailer, my hosting)

Was in there for the better part of an hour :(

abbreviated story here http://bringatrailer.com/2011/12/07/wheel-chock-delete-1968-porsche-912/

Kinda reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtQkHYyfEg

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
On the gas explosion note:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hissing-sound-before-fatal-mulgrave-van-blast-20111212-1oq3q.html

No mention as to what gas was involved yet