Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Gaggins posted:

What kind of sadistic gently caress puts two dogs along with the caprademon. Every time I think I have a handle on things, some loving dog bumps me and I get chopped. How the gently caress do you beat this guy?

Walk into the room with your shield up, try to dodge Capra Demon's first attack, run to the stairs on the left so you can murder the stupid dogs, continue fighting. Don't worry about anyone who says "Oh Capra Demon? Piece of cake :smug:" because everyone has paid their dues and died to Capra Demon a million times and called him a cheap rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

AlternateNu posted:

But they have the same poise and Elite nets you something like +5 to +10 def in every category while weighing only a pound and a half more.

They don't have the same poise. At least not if you're playing the non-japanese version. The poise got nerfed, and then un-nerfed in japan but we didn't get the un-nerfed EKA for whatever reason.

In other words, the non-japanese versions have 34 poise. Knight Armor has 40.

So if you're playing a japanese copy then your statement is true. If you're not then it's false.

Either way I tend to be too tight on weight with my builds to squeeze EKA in when KA gives just as much poise (more on my copy). If I had extra room and the poise values where the same, yeah I'd squeeze it in. Or I'd just go stay puff marshmellow since it weighs the same as EKA and has even more poise. Well at least the legs and chest weigh the same, the gloves are much heavier. Then again Catarina has stamina penalties on the legs.

Anyway, I'm diverging. If you're not playing a japanese copy your EKA is still nerfed. We didn't get that patch, at least not in it's entirety.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I think my first ever playthrough I died more times to Capra Demon than any other boss. Not sure what your gear is like but you may want to try using the Claymore. I think even a Claymore +5 will one shot the dogs.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Kongming posted:

I think my first ever playthrough I died more times to Capra Demon than any other boss. Not sure what your gear is like but you may want to try using the Claymore. I think even a Claymore +5 will one shot the dogs.

Fire Resin helps a lot here too if you're using a weapon that can take it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Having a spear for the fight makes things easier. Hold up your shield and stab those motherfucker dogs right in their goddamn mouths.

I've gone through the game way too many times and I still screw up the opening to that fight sometimes.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

Anyway, I'm diverging. If you're not playing a japanese copy your EKA is still nerfed. We didn't get that patch, at least not in it's entirety.

Yes we did. Every single patched copy irrespective of region is running 1.05. My EK has 46 poise.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

If you can wear anything to give you some Poise it helps a lot because then the dogs don't interrupt you instantly. High stability shields are also a good choice so that you can block properly. If you go out of your way to get the Eagle Shield, Capra Demon's lighter attacks will actually get deflected.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kongming posted:

For all the bridge dancing you need to go through to get the Claymore, you're really better off just buying a Bastard Sword from the blacksmith. It's better, too!

BigLeafyTree posted:

If you can wear anything to give you some Poise it helps a lot because then the dogs don't interrupt you instantly. High stability shields are also a good choice so that you can block properly. If you go out of your way to get the Eagle Shield, Capra Demon's lighter attacks will actually get deflected.

You mean the Eagle Shield in Blighttown? :geno:

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

gravyflood posted:

For all the bridge dancing you need to go through to get the Claymore, you're really better off just buying a Bastard Sword from the blacksmith. It's better, too!

You mean the Eagle Shield in Blighttown? :geno:

Yeah the one in Blight-....oh. Well if you have the Master Key you can go get it by passing through the Valley of Drakes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Any help on the corrupt save issue?

I can't believe how anyone in the 21st century would willingly program a game that permanently corrupts your saves in the event of a power failure. It's just too dumb.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I summoned a dude and he tanked things long enough for me to pelt capra with heavy soul arrows. I really wish there was a way to say thank you to people in this game (he died right before capra did, so I couldn't jump for joy at him). I didn't know you had to be alive to summon people though. It makes sense, the incentive for helping other people out is getting humanity so that someone else can help you out. Pretty cool. Is that what sunbroing means?

^^^^ As far as my gear I'm poiseless for now, still wearing my pyromancer clothes and hiding behind my shield poking at bitches with a spear. I haven't really tried anything else because I don't want to be slowed down, and I'm not planning on increasing my strength (although I don't know what I'll come across, maybe it's a good idea). I'm using a +5 heater shield, with a stability of 60. I was able to block some of Capra's attacks. Does the +5 add to stability? If so, I might find a shield with a better base and upgrade that instead.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

neetz posted:

Yes we did. Every single patched copy irrespective of region is running 1.05. My EK has 46 poise.

I don't know what to say. My EKA has 34 poise. My KA has 46. I'm staring at the numbers in game right now.

e: Not saying you're wrong but my copy is showing something different and my google-fu along with Mud-Chan's spreadsheet confirm my findings.

Double edit: This is on the U.S. ps3 copy. Maybe the XBOX version is right, maybe EU got the good patch. I don't know. But for me anyway it has the nerfed poise still.

VV : Grats! I still have yet to get one of those. Not that I use lloyd's on them so I haven't exactly tried to hard.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 10, 2011

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I was playing through a new character this week and got pretty lucky with drops - Boar's helm, Sack, Gargoyle helm, Stone sword, then the Gargoyle halberd and shield from the Anor Londo one.

Guess what the Mimic next to Havel's armor dropped? :smug:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Any help on the corrupt save issue?

I can't believe how anyone in the 21st century would willingly program a game that permanently corrupts your saves in the event of a power failure. It's just too dumb.

Yeah man, that's a feature.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gravyflood posted:

Yeah man, that's a feature.

Well then, gently caress From Software and gently caress Namco Bandai very much.

I am done with this poo poo.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Gaggins posted:

I summoned a dude and he tanked things long enough for me to pelt capra with heavy soul arrows. I really wish there was a way to say thank you to people in this game (he died right before capra did, so I couldn't jump for joy at him). I didn't know you had to be alive to summon people though. It makes sense, the incentive for helping other people out is getting humanity so that someone else can help you out. Pretty cool. Is that what sunbroing means?

^^^^ As far as my gear I'm poiseless for now, still wearing my pyromancer clothes and hiding behind my shield poking at bitches with a spear. I haven't really tried anything else because I don't want to be slowed down, and I'm not planning on increasing my strength (although I don't know what I'll come across, maybe it's a good idea). I'm using a +5 heater shield, with a stability of 60. I was able to block some of Capra's attacks. Does the +5 add to stability? If so, I might find a shield with a better base and upgrade that instead.

Upgrading a shield increases its stability (and it's damage but nobody cares about that). When you get summoned to help someone you earn a humanity when you beat the boss and you also get half the souls the host earns (this doesn't take away from the souls the host gets). Sunbros get to level up in their convenant when they coop so they have even more incentive to do it. You should try going heavy armor just to try it, Dark Souls isn't very forgiving if you get locked into "this is what my dude wears and how he fights and I will NEVER CHANGE IT NO MATTER WHAT".

KozmoNaut posted:

Well then, gently caress From Software and gently caress Namco Bandai very much.

You unplugged when it was saving stuff to the harddrive so it got corrupted. That's not unique to Dark Souls and there's nothing (to my knowledge) From could do to get around that. It sucks, and I sympathize, but flipping out on From is silly.

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 10, 2011

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

I don't know what to say. My EKA has 34 poise. My KA has 46. I'm staring at the numbers in game right now.

e: Not saying you're wrong but my copy is showing something different and my google-fu along with Mud-Chan's spreadsheet confirm my findings.

Double edit: This is on the U.S. ps3 copy. Maybe the XBOX version is right, maybe EU got the good patch. I don't know. But for me anyway it has the nerfed poise still.

That is very strange. I'm on an EU PS3 copy. I'll try grabbing it on a different character.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There was a guy with about 1.3k health in full havel's armor camping the phantom spawn in parish. I was doing some "gift exchange" with low levels, their humanity for some item.

After dieing to him twice as he was using a finger, I tossed on full havel's, blue dragon ring, wolf ring and chaos fire pillars.

Spawned, rolled down the stairs and let the pyro fly. He was able to kill me and lived with around 100 health.
:negative:
I need to get the dusk crown for those situations. Bloody hell.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

BigLeafyTree posted:

You unplugged when it was saving stuff to the harddrive so it got corrupted. That's not unique to Dark Souls and there's nothing (to my knowledge) From could do to get around that. It sucks, and I sympathize, but flipping out on From is silly.
Best thing they could probably do is to have it, behind the scenes, flip between two saves for each character. Every time it saves, it overwrites the oldest of the two saves. If for some reason you lose power and you corrupt a save, you can load off of the other save. It shouldn't make you lose much progress that way.

Of course, that sort of system could be abused too. Drop a bunch of equipment for somebody else. Then as you save next, pull the plug so the save corrupts, and you revert to the previous save where you had the gear.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Maybe I have a fear of sequence-breaking that borders on religious, ok

I didn't even realize I was sequence-breaking at the time, I just lured the enemies out one-by-one until they were all gone, then ran out and got the shiny thing in the lava. The fact that they didn't respawn tipped me off to the fact that maybe some event is supposed to wipe them all out and make the ember accessible (I don't know that yet, the next fog door in Demon's Ruins is still gold for me).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigLeafyTree posted:

I did not.

The little "I'm saving now" flame was not visible and there was no reason for it to be, as it was in the middle of a cinematic and it had saved right before it started.

I have had power outages while playing other games, on both consoles and PC. Dark Souls is the only one where I have gotten a corrupted, unrecoverable save file. I just rechecked, and now my character has been replaced with a copy of another character (which I had started and never really played).

If I select that character, I just get a completely grey screen with the HUD on top and I can't do anything.

Brilliant piece of coding right there.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

This is why Enterprise level environments have very expensive battery backups, so power failure doesn't corrupt millions of dollars worth of equipment and data. Don't blame the game developers, this is way out of their control.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The game saves whenever something worthy of flagging occurs. It even tells you to quit the game properly before turning off your console or else you might risk save corruption but I guess a big warning sign isn't big enough.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Okay... I'm sure this has been answered, so I apologize for that, but help a darkbrother out here:

Does anyone have a strategy for a pyro/melee user to beat four kings post-patch? The wikis are full of "Use Crystal light shield! (oh wait... guess it sucks now)" tips.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Eej posted:

The game saves whenever something worthy of flagging occurs. It even tells you to quit the game properly before turning off your console or else you might risk save corruption but I guess a big warning sign isn't big enough.

I accidentally kicked the power switch while getting out of my chair because I figured the credits were coming up, and I needed a piss. Every single time I have quit the game on purpose I have used the approved menu->quit.

Perhaps you should try some reading comprehension?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Zero Karizma posted:

Okay... I'm sure this has been answered, so I apologize for that, but help a darkbrother out here:

Does anyone have a strategy for a pyro/melee user to beat four kings post-patch? The wikis are full of "Use Crystal light shield! (oh wait... guess it sucks now)" tips.

Iron Flesh and Great Combustion.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sunblood posted:

Iron Flesh and Great Combustion.

Or just wail on them with whatever twohander you like. They look scary but they ain't poo poo as long as you have some poise.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In regards to Four Kings: Two hand the biggest weapon you have. Use stamina grass. Equip as much magic protection gear as you can. Havel's is a good choice because it also has very high poise but it is heavy, speed is very important too so find some alternatives if you can't equip that much weight. Use stamina grass. Get as close to the kings as possible, it should keep them from using their big magic AoE attacks and their stronger sword slashes. Also, use stamina grass.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Capra Demon Protip: throw an alluring skull (You pick these up on the bridge at the Parish front entrance)at the left wall as soon as you enter. The dogs go attack the wall and you're free to head up the stairs.

Zero Karizma posted:

Take your strongest weapon and 2 hand it and buy some stamina grass. Eat grass and go nuts. Heal when necessary.

You can summon Witch Beatrice but she doesn't do much.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Goddamnit, I just got merked in the depths. This guy wanted it bad, too, I had him running around for at least 20 minutes trying to find me (didn't help that I was also lost). I was really hoping to find a bonfire down there somewhere, but I'd pretty much given up on that and was just trying to get to a white-light door hoping there'd be a boss behind it. It was very exciting though, playing hide-and-seek in the Depths. And I put up a decent fight. I shouldn't have let the guy back off and change his gear, though. I was hoping against hope that he was just going to leave, but definitely should have guessed what he was doing considering how much time he'd invested in my humanity.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Drox posted:

Or just wail on them with whatever twohander you like. They look scary but they ain't poo poo as long as you have some poise.

This worked! Heh, after all that, all I needed to do was go full Conan on em. Thanks guys.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Does anyone do straight dex for pvp anymore? Everything I see is people running dex+magic enchantments. Buffing weapons is annoying and I'd rather just go straight dex with Uchigatanas or Balder Side Swords and use the crystal upgrade to make up some of the damage deficit, but I don't want to go to the trouble of running through the game twice if I'm just going to get my poo poo pushed in with this build in pvp.

Also, the prospect of farming Balder Swords and Titanite Slabs is a bit daunting, maybe I'd just stick to Uchis and only going Crystal +4...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

KozmoNaut posted:

I accidentally kicked the power switch while getting out of my chair because I figured the credits were coming up, and I needed a piss. Every single time I have quit the game on purpose I have used the approved menu->quit.

Perhaps you should try some reading comprehension?

I can't help your situation but I'd like to point out that I've had several power failures while playing DS and my saves have not become corrupted. It sucks that it happened to you but its not like a power failure means an automatic, guaranteed corrupt save. Its not something that any game company can account for 100%.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

It's unfortunate, yes, but you're bitching as if it's designed to fail when the power is turned off while saving. This is just a general electronics rule. When power is cut off, data being written can and will be hosed up. You may have gotten lucky before, but quit acting like From is using some janky experimental method of saving. I can understand your frustration, but your foot was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Chill out, take a few weeks to play Skyrim or whatever else is on your plate, and see if you have the heart to make a new character after that. :sympathy:

KozmoNaut posted:

The little "I'm saving now" flame was not visible and there was no reason for it to be, as it was in the middle of a cinematic and it had saved right before it started.

Okay, that's an oversight.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Protip: Use flash sweat to get the chaos ember so you don't have to get that annoying orange ring.

Now the big question, should I get a few soul levels and leave SL1 to look all grim reaper like for low level invasions?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gravyflood posted:

It's unfortunate, yes, but you're bitching as if it's designed to fail when the power is turned off while saving. This is just a general electronics rule. When power is cut off, data being written can and will be hosed up. You may have gotten lucky before, but quit acting like From is using some janky experimental method of saving. I can understand your frustration, but your foot was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Chill out, take a few weeks to play Skyrim or whatever else is on your plate, and see if you have the heart to make a new character after that. :sympathy:

My point is that any halfway-decent programmer should know to not just keep a single autosave file, but rather two or three that are then overwritten in a loop, changing files when you save. That way you can always fall back to a save game that is a couple of minutes older, but at least you don't have to start over completely from scratch again.

I've only had a couple of years of basic programming, but I know that you shouldn't trust a single file and that you should always have a backup. Neither are possible with Dark Souls, you can't even move your save file to the fancy new cloud save game storage they offer, it's locked to the disk you originally started your character on.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

KozmoNaut posted:

I've only had a couple of years of basic programming, but I know that you shouldn't trust a single file and that you should always have a backup. Neither are possible with Dark Souls, you can't even move your save file to the fancy new cloud save game storage they offer, it's locked to the disk you originally started your character on.

Sudden power loss = risk of corrupt savegames.
It was true, it is true, it will be true.

Sorry for your loss, but you are embarrassing yourself.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

KozmoNaut posted:

My point is that any halfway-decent programmer should know to not just keep a single autosave file, but rather two or three that are then overwritten in a loop, changing files when you save. That way you can always fall back to a save game that is a couple of minutes older, but at least you don't have to start over completely from scratch again.

No offense dude, but you can get back to where you were in literally a few hours. It sucks, but maybe take a break and start a new character. It'll be more enjoyable anyway, knowing what you're doing the whole time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Take a break, try again. And do not be mad at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't worry bro, your foot will get it's just deserts when it falls off from diabetes.

I am now up to 90 victims with my level 15 ninja claw run. Only 20 indictments though, time to haunt the capra area and climb that guilty ladder.

• Locked thread