Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Level Slide posted:

I hope the boss squad members still get thirty minutes to monologue about death. I hope Raiden is still cutting them up during those thirty minutes.

I hope there's unlockable parts to stick on Raiden such as gun shoes, laser glasses and long flowing hair :gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The Goldeneye remake is worth a try if you haven't tried it yet. I own the Wii version and rented the PS3 version, and it seems like they actually put some effort into bringing the graphics up to snuff.

That being said, I have no idea why they wanted to turn it into a Call of Duty clone

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

The Goldeneye remake is worth a try if you haven't tried it yet. I own the Wii version and rented the PS3 version, and it seems like they actually put some effort into bringing the graphics up to snuff.

That being said, I have no idea why they wanted to turn it into a Call of Duty clone

CoD is basically the most popular entertainment product ever and you're asking why other developers want their game to be like it?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
That MGR trailer looks insane. However, the gameplay seemed pretty boring/uninspiring. And yes, I actually like Bayonetta and that looked nothing like it. :colbert:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Something stuck out to me in that trailer...

:smug:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

As someone who rarely gives a crap about the story in videogames, I'm actually genuinely excited to see what kind of craziness we'll get when Kojima and Platinum Games join forces. I know they're a developer famed for cranking absurdity up to 11, but I'm really hoping that this time round they crank it up so high that the knob breaks and falls off :3:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MGR spoiler: you transform into Jehuty and Old Snake pilots you into the White House to kill a computer that controls the world's food supply.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Krad posted:

That MGR trailer looks insane. However, the gameplay seemed pretty boring/uninspiring. And yes, I actually like Bayonetta and that looked nothing like it. :colbert:
It's early footage - going to bet that they're still working on the combat system and animations. Looks a bit stilted. But Raiden also just thousand cuttededed a soldier and then smashed him into a cloud of dynamically severed bits, so I'm not going to quibble over small will-be-cleaned-up-by-release quibbles :3:

Metal Gear Solid 2 is still my favorite, but this one might just edge it out. Platinum Games + MGS is a potent mix.

EDIT: REVENGEANCE! EDIT2: This trailer is quackers awesome.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 11, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tony Hawk HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yRk5B3pRh4g

meh

Edit:

Here, have a Kotaku link.
http://kotaku.com/5866952/tony-hawks-new-game-is-tony-hawk-hd

quote:

Having teased such an announcement earlier in the week, at tonight's Spike VGAs skate legend Tony Hawk made it official: after a short hiatus in 2011, his series will be back in 2012 with Tony Hawk HD.

And it sounds pretty great. Rather than risk screwing everything up with a new game like the last 117 entries in the series managed, it's going back to the franchise's roots and will be taking select levels from Tony Hawk's 1 & 2, recreating them in "HD" and releasing it digitally in the first half of 2012.

Hawk told Joystiq that classic levels School and Downhill be in the game. If the original soundtracks make it as well, that would be awesome.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 11, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know enough about this series to know, do you suppose this is a complete remake (changing the control scheme to whatever it is now) or just a graphics update?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know enough about this series to know, do you suppose this is a complete remake (changing the control scheme to whatever it is now) or just a graphics update?

I edited in the Kotaku link above, it looks like its a built from scratch remake that uses levels from the first and second game. My guess is the controls are probably the same, but who knows.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holy gently caress, here's Hitman Absolution. :stare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bge-OrFK7vA

:gizz:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The first two Tony Hawk games were the best in the entire series. The controls don't really need that much work and I thought were pretty perfect for the time.

I hope it's just a graphics update and keeps the same original rockin soundtracks :ohdear:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The VGA X-CLUSIVE REVEAL TRAILER just confirmed that Last of Us is a Naughty Dog joint, featuring fungus zombies, Ellen Page, and a dude who looks like Nathan Drake with a beard.

I'm in!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

The first two Tony Hawk games were the best in the entire series. The controls don't really need that much work and I thought were pretty perfect for the time.

I hope it's just a graphics update and keeps the same original rockin soundtracks :ohdear:
So it was the controls changing that made the franchise go south? What changed exactly?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Crowbear posted:

The VGA X-CLUSIVE REVEAL TRAILER just confirmed that Last of Us is a Naughty Dog joint, featuring fungus zombies, Ellen Page, and a dude who looks like Nathan Drake with a beard.

I'm in!

Naughty Dog are awesome, nice to see a new IP from them. If this is more of a survivor type of game with platforming it is going to rock.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Crowbear posted:

I'm in!

Full prerendered trailer of course but I'm interested too. I do hope that Uncharted and or another Indiana Jones like game (Tomb Raider reboot?) keep getting made.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Harlock posted:

The later Tony Hawk games did some really interesting (and, I think, genuinely progressive) things with the controls that could turn just about anywhere into a skill challenge. Unfortunately what they slowly lost was the ability to craft really good lines and levels.

You bet your rear end I'm going to be bombing down Downhill while Superman is blasting at me in at least 5.1 or I'm out.

[edit] Just to elaborate:

Samurai Sanders posted:

So it was the controls changing that made the franchise go south? What changed exactly?

GTA-itis struck. Neversoft felt they needed to have a completely open world to explore with no loading (or masked loading) rather than bite-sized levels that were really unique. Activision had them cranking out a new game every. single. year. like clockwork and they simply burned out. Like the Hero franchise, Activision was interesting only in milking it until it was dead, and when no more blood could be squeezed out of the stone, they tried to do poo poo like RIDE.

The originals just had genuinely amazing level design, lines that were a joy to explore and get better at, and very distinct environments that really lent themselves to the levels/lines themselves rather than the other way around. As the games went on, they piled on a whole bunch of new moves (flips, the revert, spline changes, etc.) and that sort of informed the level design until essentially everything could be tricked off -- which sounds awesome but in truth it sort of bled the world of its interesting bits.

But some stuff like being able to control the board and feet at any time, and the basic stuff like manuals and reverts, fundamentally changed the way the game played, and without that stuff, things will feel really stunted, I think.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 11, 2011

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Last of Us Trailer aka Gerard Butler and Ellen Page fight fungus zombies/Rage infected from 28 Days Later in green, post apocalyptic metropolitan city.

By loving Naughty Dog.

I'm in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Last of Us looks sweet as hell.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I appreciate the color palette, but I'm kind of burned out on zombie games :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why is Gametrailers both not able to stream video to me in realtime, and also won't let me pause it and wait for it all to load?

edit: or maybe it is loading, I can't tell, there's no progress bar like on every other video site.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh lame, all of the Metal Gear Rising VGA trailers are being removed from Youtube. :/ I don't suppose anyone has a alternative link?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

I said come in! posted:

Ooh lame, all of the Metal Gear Rising VGA trailers are being removed from Youtube. :/ I don't suppose anyone has a alternative link?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmwd5f_videogames

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh good, I could finally watch all of the Last of Us trailer. The question is, if Naughty Dog makes the ultimate zombie action game that no one else has a hope of topping, does that mean other devs will stop trying and make something else instead?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
As someone who loves watching trailers this is so great. Last of Us and Hitman all looking very solid too :swoon:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tamagod Sushi posted:

As someone who loves watching trailers this is so great. Last of Us and Hitman all looking very solid too :swoon:
The Hitman trailer looks great, but early reports of the gameplay have not been so kind. Less stealth and Hitman you know and love, more actiony.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Naughty Dog breaking new ground by giving us a zombie game with actual colour :allears:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Goddamn I wish there was a stream available for EU folks. :(

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Has the Hitman Absolution thread hit the rage-apex yet with the newest trailer?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh good, I could finally watch all of the Last of Us trailer. The question is, if Naughty Dog makes the ultimate zombie action game that no one else has a hope of topping, does that mean other devs will stop trying and make something else instead?

No, if it's wildly successful it'll spur other devs to jump on the lovely zombie game bandwagon again (though I guess they never jumped off) and try to ride in the wake of its success.

They'll also probably miss what made the game good (assuming it does turn out well) and it'll just be another surge of lovely zombie games.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
^^ I hear you! Give Europe so love! ^^

MUFFlNS posted:

Naughty Dog breaking new ground by giving us a zombie game with actual colour :allears:

And the zombie things look down right gross in a good way! :) Almost like killer moss with teeth. Wonder if if's going to be an action platformer in the form of Uncharted, or an online multiplayer. The graphics engine looks good already, and knowing Naughty Dog it's going to much better in time.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
drat, Last of Us trailer kicks rear end.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm only interested if it's nonlinear though. I've had enough of corridor (or corridor + arena) shooters.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah, I want to be able to climb up that bus and jump over the barbed wire to go explore the city's ruins. That would be rad.

And even though zombies are pretty played out at this point, I think the setting is really interesting and has a ton of potential.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 11, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Having played Tony Hawk 1 and 2 fairly recently and being the thread's whipping boy for Tony Hawk games, they really have not aged well. The arcade-style gameplay is too simplistic and most of the levels are small and/or boring.

A bite-sized digital release of levels from those two games? That's OK-ish at best, but you'll only get an hour of nostalgic fun out of the game. Maybe more if they buff up the challenges and give you some annoying trophies to earn.

What I feel made the games get worse was when they added in storylines, and when they kept trying to make things harder and more complex and filled with bullshit challenges, and kept building off all those things and forgetting about making a fun game to skate around in.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Can not wait to play Last of Us. Naughty Dog has a lot of good will with me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rainbow Six: Patriots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMz8PKe5RFU&feature=player_embedded

AKA, Bernie Madoff revenge simulator.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

When developers do HD re-releases of games, they usually pick games from the last console generation. Evidently Activision are so lazy that they go for games from the console generation before that instead. Christ, how sloppy can you get.

If they had actually gone for some of the PS2 games instead I'd be really excited.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Last of us trailer.
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/719046/the-last-of-us-new-playstation-3-exclusive-from-naughty-dog-watch-the-first-cinematic-trailer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

Rainbow Six: Patriots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMz8PKe5RFU&feature=player_embedded

AKA, Bernie Madoff revenge simulator.
So they're selling it on the shock angle then?

• Locked thread