Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I think they're proximity based, exactly how, I'm not sure. You can put anything in front of it. It's definitely not touch or heat. Same buttons on my U2410. They're super awesome, I just wish they had added two more, so when you went into Input Sources, you could select directly, instead of scrolling. Missed opportunity there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

HalloKitty posted:

I think they're proximity based, exactly how, I'm not sure. You can put anything in front of it. It's definitely not touch or heat. Same buttons on my U2410. They're super awesome, I just wish they had added two more, so when you went into Input Sources, you could select directly, instead of scrolling. Missed opportunity there!

I just tested with my pen. A press is capacitative touch, I think, since the pen didn't set it off but the lightest brush with my thumb does. Proximity... only thing I can think of is something like the Wacom pen tablet inductive field technology, which sense disturbances in a magnetic field generated around the control area in distances of 4 to ~15mm

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Oh yeah, sorry, I think the touch is just capacitive, but it senses any object and lights up the menu button, when something is passed near it, which is what I meant.. hmm

wither
Jun 23, 2004

I have a turn both for observation and for deduction.

fuseshock posted:

So, I bought a refurbished U2711 a couple of days ago, and I am having second thoughts about it since the shipment got delayed (oddly enough refurbs get delayed too). Is it worth the $600 gamble for the refurbished?

Is this deal still going on? Where was this

Also I bought 2 ultrasharp 23"'s new from Dell almost a year ago. Do I have to register them to get the 3 year warranty? Did I already miss the time-venue for this?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

wither posted:

Also I bought 2 ultrasharp 23"'s new from Dell almost a year ago. Do I have to register them to get the 3 year warranty? Did I already miss the time-venue for this?
While registering will always get you the best service, if you don't, you're not screwed: there's a service tag number on you monitors that they can use to determine if it's still under warranty. I would imagine that you short yourself a little that way, since I believe the tag number probably just gives them a production date, and then they base the warranty off that, whereas in reality it probably sat on a shelf for a few months before you bought it, but it's a whole lot better than nothing.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Where exactly is the service tag on a U2412M? I tried looking in the back and nothing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

There isn't one. Service tags don't exist on Dell monitors. They have a crazy long serial code that can't be entered on the Dell warranty checker. For reference, my U2410 has the serial number on a piece of plastic which pulls out from the left hand side of the monitor.

One important piece of information they love you to give them is the original Dell order number.
On the original Dell box, it will have an original Dell sticker from when it was shipped from Dell to whatever reseller you bought it from.

That number interests them, and will get them to help you quicker.

I'm not sure there's a way to check Dell monitor warranties online though.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Bob Morales posted:

It's not focused but you can just see how washed out the colors are compared to my Macbook Air (which isn't the best screen out there in the first place)

NOTICE THE APPLE IS RED ON MY LAPTOP AND SOME GRAYISH BROWN ON THE ACER MONITOR

One of our sets of eyes is broken, because both of those tomatoes look nicely red to me. I don't see any brown on the tomato like you state. Washed out look seems to be coming from a significant brightness difference between the monitors in the photo, though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, it's prox-based, I hold my finger like 2-3" in front of the monitor and it knows. :stare:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

HalloKitty posted:

There isn't one. Service tags don't exist on Dell monitors. They have a crazy long serial code that can't be entered on the Dell warranty checker. For reference, my U2410 has the serial number on a piece of plastic which pulls out from the left hand side of the monitor.

How do I contact Dell Support about my monitor then? They won't talk to me without a service tag.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

How do I contact Dell Support about my monitor then? They won't talk to me without a service tag.

The serial number and the dell order number got me my cross-shipped replacement straight away.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Right I have those two numbers. But in order to actually speak to someone to give them the two numbers, I need to have a service tag.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Service tags don't exist on the screens, and I was never asked for it. I guess you just have to call until you speak to a person, and insist that you need help with a monitor, which doesn't have a service tag as it was bought separately to a system. I did this in the UK so I can't help with US numbers :(

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

HalloKitty posted:

Service tags don't exist on the screens, and I was never asked for it. I guess you just have to call until you speak to a person, and insist that you need help with a monitor, which doesn't have a service tag as it was bought separately to a system. I did this in the UK so I can't help with US numbers :(

I quit buying from Dell when I had troubles dealing with support. I had bought 2 monitors on one order. When I needed support they were either closed for the weekend, or told me I was giving them the wrong serial number.

The serial numbers I gave them matched LCDs that were shipped separately, one to Ohio, one to Michigan, per their system. Per my loving desk they were shipped to me in neither Michigan nor Ohio.

Their monitors may be nice but once you need support holy gently caress are you screwed.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Holy gently caress is right. I just had to do some major detective work to get the order number from my monitor.

1. Dig up monitor box
2. Find that shipping sticker had another sticker over it.
3. Take a photo and use photoshop to enhance! to find the tracking number.
4. Put tracking number in FedEx to find order number.

Because apparently giving them the serial number of my monitor is not enough.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Holy gently caress is right. I just had to do some major detective work to get the order number from my monitor.

1. Dig up monitor box

Gmail has saved my life so many times for things like this. You just search through old emails and find what you're looking for in 2 minutes. Sometimes I even email poo poo to myself just so I will be able to find it later if I need it.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Update: It's been 1 hour, and I've been transferred between 5 different departments. Still no resolution. Never buying a loving Dell again.

Update 2: 6 transfers later, the department I need to get to is closed for the weekend. Welp.

1. 1-800-624-9897
2. 1-800-822-8965
3. 1-800-624-9896
4. 1-800-822-8965 (same as #2)
5. 1-800-624-9897 (same as #1)
6. 1-800-456-3355 (closed!)

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 11, 2011

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Try calling 1-800-624-9897, they can probably help you.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Magic Underwear posted:

Try calling 1-800-624-9897, they can probably help you.

So... the first number he said he called?

I have had a U2711 for a few weeks now and the giant box is taking up a ton of space in my closet. How long to people typically keep their packaging around for in case they need to send it back? If I throw out the box, and the monitor needs to go back to Dell for some reason, how would I ship it?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

mik posted:

I have had a U2711 for a few weeks now and the giant box is taking up a ton of space in my closet. How long to people typically keep their packaging around for in case they need to send it back? If I throw out the box, and the monitor needs to go back to Dell for some reason, how would I ship it?
I discard it immediately. If you need to ship it back, Dell will cross-ship you a monitor, and you simply put your old one in the box that the new one came in. Easy as that.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

mik posted:

How do you like that U2711? I've read some reports that the anti-glare coating on the panel makes text more difficult to read. I'm trying to decide between 3 U2412s, 2 U2711s or 2U3011s and it's really difficult to appreciate the higher resolutions without having used them.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Update: It's been 1 hour, and I've been transferred between 5 different departments. Still no resolution. Never buying a loving Dell again.

Update 2: 6 transfers later, the department I need to get to is closed for the weekend. Welp.

1. 1-800-624-9897
2. 1-800-822-8965
3. 1-800-624-9896
4. 1-800-822-8965 (same as #2)
5. 1-800-624-9897 (same as #1)
6. 1-800-456-3355 (closed!)

Sorry to hear that much trouble. For a 2209WA RMA, I only had to call one number on a weekday during lunch, and I got it taken care of immediately. Just pulled up the order e-mail and threw every number listed on that at the customer service drone, and then he's like "alright, will 2-day ship you a new one!"

I did initially purchase that display from Dell Small Business though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Protokoll posted:

How do you like that U2711? I've read some reports that the anti-glare coating on the panel makes text more difficult to read. I'm trying to decide between 3 U2412s, 2 U2711s or 2U3011s and it's really difficult to appreciate the higher resolutions without having used them.
The anti-glare coating on all three monitors is pretty similar.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Just saw this for any Canagoons. Dell is selling the U3011 for $999. It's only for the next 10 hours or so though.

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

movax posted:

Sorry to hear that much trouble. For a 2209WA RMA, I only had to call one number on a weekday during lunch, and I got it taken care of immediately. Just pulled up the order e-mail and threw every number listed on that at the customer service drone, and then he's like "alright, will 2-day ship you a new one!"

I did initially purchase that display from Dell Small Business though.

I bought my 2412 directly from Dell Canada, that's probably what made the RMA so painless.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

INTJ Mastermind posted:

1. Dig up monitor box

Oh, sweet. The service tag is on the box. My U2711 is Rev A08, is that a good revision?

Edit: Just entered the serivce tag online at Dell. It says:

System Type: Display U2711
Ship Date: 7/14/2011

Description Provider Start Date End Date Days Left
Next Business Day Parts Delivery DELL 7/15/2012 7/14/2014 729
Next Business Day Parts Delivery DELL 7/14/2011 7/14/2012 216

Do I get to inherit this warranty if I bought this refurbished?

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 12, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ah, yes. Apparently there's an exception. The 27 and 30 inch Dells have bone fide service tags that work on their site.

They need to sort their poo poo out and put service tags on the others, but that's how it is, I guess.

INTJ Mastermind, shame you had such a clusterfuck of a time and trouble getting anywhere. Maybe because it's the weekend.. Still, that's not great service to say the least.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Apocalypse Please posted:

How did you manage this?? I've been trying to do this for a week but the best they'll do is refund me $25. And keep telling me "sir it will take 6-8 business days to process this transaction" or some dumb crap. I placed this order on Nov. 19, this is nuts.

Use key words like 'I'm extremely unhappy' and maybe use the Chat? Not sure.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Protokoll posted:

How do you like that U2711? I've read some reports that the anti-glare coating on the panel makes text more difficult to read.

So, I have a somewhat related question to that. I'm looking for a good 24 inch display and at work we got U2412s ... and the anti-glare coating is really getting to me. So much that I configured my IDE and my terminals to have light text on dark background because I can't stand that glittering mess. I know that this is a very subjective thing, and most people have no problem at all with the U2412 AG coating. (But I hear the U2711's AG coating is even rougher).

Reading around the Eizo EV2335W seems to be my best bet for a IPS display with smooth coating. Any other displays (preferably Cheeto-class/IPS) to check out?

Pod
Jun 15, 2003

It looks like it has been a while since it was last discussed, but is the Asus VG236H still considered solid for gaming purposes?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

From the OP:

OP posted:

+ absolutely awesome at games, VSync at 120FPS

I can't see why anything would have changed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3842/asus-vg236h-review-our-first-look-at-120hz

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Protokoll posted:

Sorry I missed this. The only reason the text would be difficult to read on the U2711 would be the small dot pitch (which is smaller than the 24/30" monitors). Otherwise the coating has no effect, in my opinion, on the readability of text. The glare is noticeable when I have something with a white background maximized, but other than that it's effectively invisible to me when doing normal things. That being said, when I first got it I was slightly concerned that it was going to bug me, but three weeks later I'm completely used to it.

And thanks to the others for the info on the box, I need a kick in the pants to just throw poo poo out sometimes.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
What do people think of the ASUS VH232H http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079 for graphics work and gaming?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Does anyone here have any experience with the Sony FW900? What LCD did you upgrade to for gaming & black blacks?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Dell U2412m, I'd say. LED backlighting=better blacks, it's decently fast for an IPS panel. Also, it's an IPS panel.

I used Sony CRTs back in the day.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Is there any way to get multiple monitor support out of a laptop? Maybe a box that emulates a single large display and then splits it into two outputs?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

dud root posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with the Sony FW900? What LCD did you upgrade to for gaming & black blacks?
There have been several people in this thread who used the FW900. Some upgraded to 120Hz monitors, while others went the IPS route with something like a U2410M or U2311H. Either way, you're not going to get quite the same black levels as a CRT, but there are many monitors that keep up very well in terms of gaming, and text and fine detail is much crisper on a modern LCD than on an aging FW900.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Is there any way to get multiple monitor support out of a laptop? Maybe a box that emulates a single large display and then splits it into two outputs?
There's no particularly cheap way that I know of, but you can get USB devices like this: http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-DVI-External-Video-Card-High-Resolution.asp which claim for $80 to be able to give you a 1600x1200 max desktop, or 1920x1080 for $100 (though it talks about video compression, so I won't vouch for how good the image will be). There are also crazy thing like this: http://www.magma.com/expressbox1.asp which add a PCIe slot, but cost more than a new laptop to begin with.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 14, 2011

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Pod posted:

It looks like it has been a while since it was last discussed, but is the Asus VG236H still considered solid for gaming purposes?

If you don't care about 3D I recommend the VG236HE, which is the same monitor but without the 3D Vision Kit (glasses/IR emitter) and at least $100 less. If you decide later you want the 3D stuff it costs $100 anyways.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

My U2412M just got here today, the magnificence of this display is well...magnificent to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dud root posted:

I own 3 of them, I upgraded to the U3011. I started this thread initially after purchasing the U3011 to replace the FW900, actually. I got tired of constant adjustments, fuzzy text and other maladies that I had to keep fixing in almost decade-old monitors, and finally retired them to cold storage.

Basically (I think this stuff is still in the OP too), I appreciate the uniform sharpness of text across the entire screen, the lack of warm-up time, and lack of electromechanical components to keep maintained. I traded off pure blacks and the ability to run whatever resolution I wanted at whatever refresh rates I wanted. Gaming @ 100Hz 1680x1050 or 90Hz 1920x1200 was glorious.

Also happy belated birthday thread! :toot: Thank you to all the kind contributing goons who've stuck with it and shared their knowledge with others in this thread.