Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

a starwar betamax posted:

Now, none of those gameplay features are at my disposal, and I can no longer play minecraft. Thanks Notch and Jeb.

Considering that isn't what the button was supposed to be for and the game is not meant to be played that way in the first place, you're wrong! You can probably still play Minecraft perfectly fine at low fog settings and refuse to do so because it makes the game look ugly!

Also, there are mods to re-enable use of the F key, look it up or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Considering that isn't what the button was supposed to be for and the game is not meant to be played that way in the first place, you're wrong! You can probably still play Minecraft perfectly fine at low fog settings and refuse to do so because it makes the game look ugly!

Also, there are mods to re-enable use of the F key, look it up or something.

Or don't use a mod and just press F3 and F. They changed this because default fog key was too easy to accidentally press.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I pressed F many times by mistake, having to wait while my computer suddenly had to deal with the Very Far render. Not something that helped, when it struggled with running Millenaire and so on. So I'm glad for such a change v:shobon:v

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Also I don't know if this generates the world as it was when it was first created, or as it is now with my mining and tower-in-progress. If the tower is there, that'll help you find your way hopefully.

The seed is the base value that the terrain generator uses to randomly decide where caverns spawn (it's the world when it was first created) so whatever you do on your end doesn't matter and won't show to other people.

A handful of digits can't somehow tell everyone all of your mining and building actions. Oh jamesman, you silly man. :allears:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Man, I rerolled my map because I was getting too annoyed with the expansive tunnel system located right under my home.

So what do I get this time?

SUPER-CAVERN

After like, 20 blocks deep, it's just a giant, massive open space until the bottom, covered in alternating pools of lava and water. It's so dark and there are narrow ledges all over the place that it literally rains enemies down on me. Water pools pushing you towards lava while spiders and creepers are dropping on your head every couple seconds.

It's... Jesus Christ what do I do? :cry:

Sounds like a chasm, they're standard terrain features that were added in 1.8. Not very common, so it's always cool when you run into them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

messagemode1 posted:

The seed is the base value that the terrain generator uses to randomly decide where caverns spawn (it's the world when it was first created) so whatever you do on your end doesn't matter and won't show to other people.

A handful of digits can't somehow tell everyone all of your mining and building actions. Oh jamesman, you silly man. :allears:

I don't know these things. I thought since I was finding out the seed number from the save data file, it might have been based on the current state of my game. Now I know otherwise I guess.

Anyway, enjoy the seed I guess. It's got some pretty dense forest and some tall mountains, so you need to clear out the land a bit before you build a house unless you just want to build right into a mountain.

Oh, and there's a desert right nearby too, so lots of sand.

OlMaster
May 12, 2008
Uh, so, I'm possibly being an idiot, but I've not played Minecraft for maybe a year and am trying to get back into it.

Why do my animals keep disappearing when I capture them? I use wheat to get them into my square fenced area, close the fence off, then leave and they seem to be gone when I get back. Minecraft wiki wasn't much help and I can only tolerate Youtube tutorials in small doses. I'm using the Yogbox if that makes any difference.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

OlMaster posted:

Uh, so, I'm possibly being an idiot, but I've not played Minecraft for maybe a year and am trying to get back into it.

Why do my animals keep disappearing when I capture them? I use wheat to get them into my square fenced area, close the fence off, then leave and they seem to be gone when I get back. Minecraft wiki wasn't much help and I can only tolerate Youtube tutorials in small doses. I'm using the Yogbox if that makes any difference.

Mo' Creatures disables persistent animals by default, which makes farming them kind of impossible. You should be able to turn it on in the options menu.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Jamesman posted:

I don't know these things. I thought since I was finding out the seed number from the save data file, it might have been based on the current state of my game. Now I know otherwise I guess.

Anyway, enjoy the seed I guess. It's got some pretty dense forest and some tall mountains, so you need to clear out the land a bit before you build a house unless you just want to build right into a mountain.

Oh, and there's a desert right nearby too, so lots of sand.

Not trying to be a dick, but how would you think that a long number would be capable of defining not only terrain generation, but all the thousands of possible things a player can do on the map?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Senator Woofington posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but how would you think that a long number would be capable of defining not only terrain generation, but all the thousands of possible things a player can do on the map?

Everything on your hard drive is nothing more than one long number when you get right down to it, maaaaan.
:2bong:

OlMaster
May 12, 2008

Locus posted:

Mo' Creatures disables persistent animals by default, which makes farming them kind of impossible. You should be able to turn it on in the options menu.

That worked, cheers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well, old games would give you passcodes to resume your game state with, its not a huge stretch to assume something like that would be around these days.

Though, as you say, with all the variables in a minecraft world it wouldn't be plausible.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Short answer is I just didn't know if it did or didn't. Now I know it doesn't, so there we go.

I'm gonna go back to breaking down a mountain now because it's blocking my view from my tower. Also I ran out of iron so I'm using stone tools like a caveman. :(

Oh, and if anyone loads up that seed, let me know. Also go to that spawn point and tell me what you think of the SUPER-CAVE once you dig to it.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Jamesman posted:

Short answer is I just didn't know if it did or didn't. Now I know it doesn't, so there we go.

I'm gonna go back to breaking down a mountain now because it's blocking my view from my tower. Also I ran out of iron so I'm using stone tools like a caveman. :(

In no way does that answer the question but whatever. Also it could be worse, it could be... *shudder* wood tools.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

In no way does that answer the question but whatever. Also it could be worse, it could be... *shudder* wood tools.

I only use one wood tool one time in any new game - Make a pickaxe, mine 3 stone, never use wood tools ever again.

To elaborate, it's the line of thinking that Arrath said. I didn't know if I was obtaining a seed number based on the game world in its current state, or just recalling the seed number from when the world was first created. I thought since a character string can generate a game world, it might give you a different character string to represent changed values of the game world, like a password system.

But now I know better, but only a little better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Why do my sheep all bunch up in the corner right next to the door? I dug out a huge cavern for them to live in, but they all stay in the corners. It makes trying to breed and sheer them annoying. gently caress, just trying to work my way to the door is starting to get difficult.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They want to escape from their dark underground prison you horrible monster

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
My chickens ducks do the same thing, so annoying. But it just makes it more fun when I barge in and slaughter all but a couple. Take that you ducks.:ese:

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Internet Kraken posted:

Why do my sheep all bunch up in the corner right next to the door? I dug out a huge cavern for them to live in, but they all stay in the corners. It makes trying to breed and sheer them annoying. gently caress, just trying to work my way to the door is starting to get difficult.

Animals always group around my doors/fence gates too. I sort of think they might be trying to path through the doors, as if they aren't solid objects?

Also, my animals get completely unmanageable when there is a baby around; all the parents trying to path to their children makes the pen a clusterfuck... even more so when multiple parents latch onto the same baby.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Jamesman posted:

I only use one wood tool one time in any new game - Make a pickaxe, mine 3 stone, never use wood tools ever again.

To elaborate, it's the line of thinking that Arrath said. I didn't know if I was obtaining a seed number based on the game world in its current state, or just recalling the seed number from when the world was first created. I thought since a character string can generate a game world, it might give you a different character string to represent changed values of the game world, like a password system.

But now I know better, but only a little better.

Sorry for being a dick about it, I understand what you mean. And I do the same exact thing, one wood tool, never again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

They want to escape from their dark underground prison you horrible monster

Hey that cave is the safest place for them. I live in the middle of an ocean, so I can't keep them near my house. Even if I could another player would just slaughter them all. No, best to keep them in a huge chamber down at bedrock. It's monster-proof to, aside from one creeper that somehow spawned in there. No clue how that happened.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey that cave is the safest place for them. I live in the middle of an ocean, so I can't keep them near my house. Even if I could another player would just slaughter them all. No, best to keep them in a huge chamber down at bedrock. It's monster-proof to, aside from one creeper that somehow spawned in there. No clue how that happened.

You didn't light it enough, simple.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Oh man. Diamond Sword enchanted with Sharpness II/Knockback II/Fire Aspect I makes everything die so loving quickly. The randomness of enchanting often makes it annoying, but when you hit a jackpot it's well worth it.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.
Man, that Mojang employment pitch is basically "we are colossally unprofessional and have no idea of our own limitations."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Install Gentoo posted:

You didn't light it enough, simple.

Except the room is lit up perfectly fine,as evidenced by nothing spawning in there since then. More likely that I left some hole in the ceiling or wall and the creeper came in from somewhere else.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I swear sometimes monsters are just like "gently caress it" and will spawn/chill out in lighted areas just to gently caress with you. Hell, I had an Enderman just having a loving blast playing with blocks in the daytime just yesterday.

He was so happy.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jamesman posted:

I swear sometimes monsters are just like "gently caress it" and will spawn/chill out in lighted areas just to gently caress with you. Hell, I had an Enderman just having a loving blast playing with blocks in the daytime just yesterday.

He was so happy.

A creeper spawned on my loving roof yesterday and blew me up the instant I walked out. It wasn't even that dark up there!

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Ubik posted:

Oh man. Diamond Sword enchanted with Sharpness II/Knockback II/Fire Aspect I makes everything die so loving quickly. The randomness of enchanting often makes it annoying, but when you hit a jackpot it's well worth it.

How many levels did that cost?

hoseroo
Nov 7, 2003

:roboluv: all pimp-style
"doop de doo, I know, I'll take a break from studying for my accounting final by reading up on enchantments!"

<finds enchantment article on minecraftwiki>

:stare:

Welp, back to studying.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Internet Kraken posted:

Except the room is lit up perfectly fine,as evidenced by nothing spawning in there since then. More likely that I left some hole in the ceiling or wall and the creeper came in from somewhere else.

If there's only one square in the room that's dark enough for mob spawning, it's unlikely to have any mobs spawn. Also take note that having an animal on that square will block mob spawning as well.

In zombe's modpack: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/91055-v100-zombes-modpack-26-mods-v58-upd-11dec/ there is a mod called "Safe" and if you use it, it plops down a yellow X on squares dark enough for mobs to spawn only at night, and a red X for a square dark enough for a mob to spawn at any time. Try using it and checking your room.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mojang's explosive early success could be the death of them. You can't count on being able to churn that out every time you release something.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I'm sure Penny Arcade will make another comic for them and they'll be multimillionaires again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Out of curiosity, is there a chart of sales vs time on Minecraft?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

How many levels did that cost?

Only 20. I had 30 and fully expected to spend them all on that one sword, but 20 is apparently good enough for a total bitchslayer.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fire posted:

Mojang's explosive early success could be the death of them. You can't count on being able to churn that out every time you release something.

Thats true of the vast majority of successful indie developers. They have one hit game, and then nothing anywhere close to it afterwards.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It should have been much more obvious to me when I started attempting to level a mountain, but attempting to level a mountain takes a really long time.

To try and explain the situation and why I am trying to take down the mountain, I drew a picture to help you understand what the world looks like.

In front of my tower, I can see fairly well, even though there are many trees. But behind my tower, the mountain blocks my view completely. Even if I build it higher, I'll still just see mountain. To top it off, the mountain has an overhang which always casts a shadow, constantly spawning enemies and letting them survive during the day.

Just past the mountain is a nice valley with a big lake, which would be not only nice to see, but I'm sure I could find plenty of uses for a nice big lake.

Therefore, the mountain must go.

You can also see that in front of my tower is the entrance to SUPER CAVE. It's covered with glass to prevent falling into it, while allowing some daylight to come in and make things at least a tiny bit visible. After digging down 20-25 blocks, it just opens into a cavern that doesn't stop until it hits the bottom of the map. It's pure evil.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jamesman posted:

Mountain seems like a pretty cool guy. Maybe instead o trying to kill him, you should move your tower on top of him? Or blow him up with TNT.

While exploring looking for roses, I realized that ravines are one of the coolest features because they can be found in every biome but the unique features of the biomes actually make them seem different. A marine in a tundra had pools of water flowing down into the bottom which was an icy chasm covered in snow. A ravine in a swamp had vines hanging down from trees all the way to the bottom of the ravine. Both looked really neat in their own way. I hope more terrain features get put in latter to make exploration even more fun.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Jamesman posted:

In front of my tower, I can see fairly well, even though there are many trees. But behind my tower, the mountain blocks my view completely. Even if I build it higher, I'll still just see mountain. To top it off, the mountain has an overhang which always casts a shadow, constantly spawning enemies and letting them survive during the day.

Just past the mountain is a nice valley with a big lake, which would be not only nice to see, but I'm sure I could find plenty of uses for a nice big lake.

Therefore, the mountain must go.

You should build a path into the mountain, then have a giant observation room on the other side of it. Light up all the dark areas with giant dangling lanterns or light spires or some poo poo.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
See, this only reinforces my findings that there is an easy way to tell Minecraft players from the general population.

Most people: "Wow, what a cool-looking mountain."

Minecraft players: "Wow, what a cool-looking mountain. Welp, time to blow it up and use the pieces to build a castle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I'm stuck in a nether portal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htp2N-ZYRnI

I assume the only fix is for my friend to teleport me or delete my character data from his server or kill myself, etc., but I get stuck like this every time. It happens every time I get sent to it. I've tried remaking the portal, and other portals on this server don't cause similar issues. I don't know if other users on the server have this problem.