Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Awesome! Hopefully holding strong then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Wouldn't stop bleeding on its own either. You could see the individual capillaries as they leaked out. :unsmigghh:

Son, there comes a time in every man's life when the proposition of voluntary body contact with an in use exhaust manifold is looking good.

If it won't stop bleeding, and its not a spurting wound, seal it with FIRE.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sponge! posted:

If it won't stop bleeding, and its not a spurting wound, seal it with FIRE.

What's this about changing an oil filter on a hot Enfield motor?

I seem to have cauterized wounds on my hands and forearms that have appeared in timescales coinciding with my acquisition of a motorcycle. Fancy that.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Geirskogul posted:

What's this about changing an oil filter on a hot Enfield motor?

I seem to have cauterized wounds on my hands and forearms that have appeared in timescales coinciding with my acquisition of a motorcycle. Fancy that.

Lets see your shins.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My shins (well, the righthand one, at least :thumper:) has long since been reduced to a burnt leathery texture.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Helped a friend out. and pulled a Chrylser 2.2 Turbo II engine that was already missing its entire top end from a really amazing condition Dodge Daytona. Easy.

Then pulled an engine, tranny and axles from a T-Top Dodge Daytona that spent its entire life in New Hampshire, and the last 5 years sitting in a field.

I'm still coughing up chunks of rust.

The rocker panels were not just rusty, they AREN'T EVEN THERE ANYMORE. We couldn't support the car with jack stands because they were benting the frame rail from the weight of the car. We ended up running a chain through holes in a core support and used the engine hoist to jack the car up.

Yeah, thats the jute backing to the carpet there on the left.

Now we just need to freshen up the donor engine with some new belts, gaskets, water pump and hoses, and drop it in..

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 28, 2011

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That might even be beyond Sockington levels of rust.

Had to replace the battery. And had to borrow money from family to do so since I just paid all my bills for the month - and in doing so they demanded I get the absolute cheapest battery I could find that had a decent warranty. Didn't know Costco had their own line of batteries and the warranty is null and void if the membership used to purchase it lapses

$66.99 gets you Kirkland's finest group 35 battery.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You added a battery tie-down to that after the picture was taken, right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Bungie cord

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

You can see the little bracket and bolt that holds it down right in the picture.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't see anything going over the top of the battery; I see the hole at the bottom where I would imagine the tiedown would latch into. I'm probably missing something though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I don't see anything going over the top of the battery; I see the hole at the bottom where I would imagine the tiedown would latch into. I'm probably missing something though.

The bottom of the battery toes out, and there is a bracket (probably on each side) that bolts over that toe, clamping the battery down. It's not over the top, but it looks like it's the way it was done from the factory so I assume it's good enough.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

There's a little lip on the battery and one on the tray, and the bracket you see with the bolt through it holds it down on the other side. I bet historically more cars hold the battery like that then any other way. It's really common.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
My first track day.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
replaced the rear crossmember on my brothers Daewoo, but guess what? I have to go back to the junkyard because the idiot managed to bend a swaybar at the same time.
:thumbsup: No wonder the fucker was crab walking all over the god damned road!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Did a rear brake job on my wife's '03 Mazda 6.

Apparently the previous owner(s) never had the rear discs touched, so as a result I was dealing with hardware that hadn't been touched in 8 years. The guide pins were dry and I had to remove the caliper brackets with the calipers attached, remove the discs and reinstall the calipers so I could beat them with a sledge hammer to drive the pins out of the brackets.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What did I do to my boy's ride today? Gave it to him for his birthday (he's only 9).

Modified plans found on the internet using 2" PVC piping, a passenger seat from an '86 MR2 and a wireless xbox racing wheel:

And action shot looking at the 120" screen:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

meatpimp posted:

What did I do to my boy's ride today? Gave it to him for his birthday (he's only 9).

Modified plans found on the internet using 2" PVC piping, a passenger seat from an '86 MR2 and a wireless xbox racing wheel:

Hah. In that same vein I worked on my virtual ride today. Went to test out forza's patch that fixes 900 degree steering. First corner in laguna seca I floor it and crank the wheel to provide opposite lock, and hear a horrible sound and lose all FFB in my fanatec wheel..

Disassembled the wheel to find that the drive belt popped off. Sharp change in direction when going into countersteer did it. 2 hours of work just to put a belt back on.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 4, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did you put a wide washer over the small belt gear to prevent that from happening again?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I have two sets of those seats and an AE86 seat kicking around. My god, the ideas.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

hedge posted:

My first track day.

Awesome, where was this? This was your first day ever, and you were soloed? Have fun? :)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Geirskogul posted:

Did you put a wide washer over the small belt gear to prevent that from happening again?

Had no way to secure it other than duct tape so I just put it back together as is. If it happens again I'll go get some JB weld and stick one on.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Replaced my wipers with some rainx horizon ones. They came with a little cloth that you scrub on the windshield and then clear off with paper towel, & then turn the wipers on for 5 minutes. I'm going to go buy some actual rainx spray tomorrow for when this wears off, because holy gently caress it was pouring and I barely had to use my wipers. It was glorious, I could pass trucks and actually see the whole time.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

DogDodger posted:

Awesome, where was this? This was your first day ever, and you were soloed? Have fun? :)
Oh yes, I will be doing it again. That was at Streets of Willow (the track above on the hill is Horse Thief Mile, which is typically used for motorcycles). I did five sessions: lead-follow, with instructor, two without instructor, and then with instructor as a sanity check. Got more comfortable and faster in each of the middle three runs (last run was too cold) and I didn't put any wheels off or break anything, so I'll call it a success.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Podothehobbit posted:

a new turbo exhaust system installed.

Now I need to paint it with some sort of high-temp black paint so it's less flashy.

Turbo Yaris??! Is this a non-US item, or something custom you've done?

Either way, I'm sure it's a lot of fun to have more power in such a small package. I've always dreamed of doing some FI with a Fit or other highly reliable subcompact.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rearranged my drive so that i could free the cars stuck at the back and give them a wash - sounds easy but took me 4 hours :rolleyes:

All minus my daily driver have sat for the last 3-6 months, with batteries removed and on charge - which turned out to have been a waste of time since only one of them will actually hold that charge!

Car 1 (97 saab 900). daily driver and has done 8000 troublefree miles over the last 5 months but today the ignition key got stuck and it wouldnt start and was blocking everything in. Had to push it out of the way.

Car 2 (1980 saab 99), started perfectly but then died as i was turning it round on the road outside - and managed to do it infront of the only garage out of 10 that was in use and at the exact time that someone wanted to use it :rolleyes:
Had to push this one too, and then found that 2 out of the 3 LPG solenoids had got stuck so it had no fuel (is LPG only).
After swapping them (Glad i had some spare!) It started and i managed to wash the mold off and get it looking nice and shiney again.

Car 3 (1994 saab 900) - Handbrake was totally stuck on one wheel so it took a lot of revving and dug a very big trench in the gravel. Stalled it a few times (hard work manouvering with the handbrake stuck on) and had to jump it using a very long extension lead as the battery was now dead after all the faffing about with the first car.
Is now parked at the front so that the scrap man can take it away and turn it into washing machines.

Car 4 (1980 saab 99 turbo) - Wont ever cold start due to lovely k-jet cold start injector and warm up regulator so had to get the easy start out and turn it over loads. Battery went flat again during this but Once it was boost started it was all good :). Now also clean and shiney and mold free.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

BobTheFerret posted:

Turbo Yaris??! Is this a non-US item, or something custom you've done?

Either way, I'm sure it's a lot of fun to have more power in such a small package. I've always dreamed of doing some FI with a Fit or other highly reliable subcompact.

US spec car with a Japanese spec turbo kit. You should do a turbo Fit, that would be awesome and assuming you keep it semi-stock looking would probably surprise alot of people!

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Bought these pretty things for my baby:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chromesaleen.html

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I used the VW to squash the ground down around where I dug out a stump. I also did a repair on its sliding door and found a tap for the jerrycan.

I also adapted a couple of flyscreen vent things for a truck to fit on the Fairlane.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
1997 Honda Accord.
Installed new rotors and ceramic brake pads. I just found out that ceramic brake pads trickled down for regular car users.
Also replaced the rear drums so I have working brakes all around. The front brakes are still not seasoned yet so stopping distance is kinda far.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Working on your car in the cold is a lot less fun than sweating away while doing it in the summer. I got most of the way done replacing a bushing on the engine mount and went back inside cause I was really cold and needed a bigger clamp. I wish I had a garage

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not my car, but I completely buffed, polished, and waxed my brothers 2000 Daewoo Nubira. Before this I wetsanded the entire car.

I Buffed with a wool pad and megs 105, then polished with megs 205 and a black foam pad.

Ultimate liquid wax went on and off, turned out looking brand new.

I also Detailed his interior for him also, going as far as removing the seats and steaming/shampooing them.

He has had the car since he was 17, he is now 25, so that was his Christmas present. :)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I got up early and braved the cold to finish my task. It is even colder today <:mad:>

Powerflex engine mount bushing. Stock one was pretty worn out and sliding back and forth.

Powerflex insert for the other end where that bracket attaches to. The actual mount will need to be replaced eventually but it should be fine for the rest of the winter

Solid urethane engine mount. The old rubber one was getting pretty worn out and it is actually filled with hydraulic fluid, so I wanted to get it out of there before it started leaking all over the paint and getting gross. This adds a bunch of NVH, but after a couple hundred miles it should break in and be less annoying. I don't mind it so much but it makes the sunroof rattle way worse. I think I narrowed down what is causing it though, and it should be an easy fix. The car feels solid as gently caress now, no more engine rocking.

I also have a new appreciation for just how quickly I can go around corners, I need get better throttle control with my foot cause it's way too easy to pick up speed if I stay in lower gears. I need to do my brakes next but I'm not looking forward to that. Hopefully a nice day pops up or I'll have to see if I can borrow my friends garage

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Bought it!

Well-used and abused 1998 Sentra XE, 1.6L. Note the baling-wire stitching holding the bumper together and numerous dents. Not visible: zip ties holding both bumpers on. Paid $200 for it, put ~#300 of parts into it (plugs/wires, new gas tank, wheel bearing), should last me a while.

edit: wow, sorry for it being so dark in my garage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's the relation between that and my P11 Primera?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Our Infiniti G20 is close to the Primera P10/P11, that generation Sentra is beam axle and not really related, runs a QR25 rather than a SR/GA.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Changed the oil myself for the first time on my Tundra. Pretty easy except three things. There's 7.5 quarts of oil in there. I had to replug the oil sump twice and empty my pan. Then, in loosening the plug in the cartridge filter, the whole housing wanted to spin off. Got the plug loose by holding the housing stationary with a strap wrench. Then, after you drain the filter housing with the special disposable tool, you need to remove the housing that you were previously holding. To do so requires a 65mm 14 flat oil filter wrench. Autozone had a 67 mm. It only somewhat worked.

Oh and gently caress that skid plate. Although mine did have an impressive collection of fist sized impressions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My sister has a 97 Sentra with 280,000 miles on it and it's still running strong.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Skyssx posted:

Changed the oil myself for the first time on my Tundra. Pretty easy except three things. There's 7.5 quarts of oil in there. I had to replug the oil sump twice and empty my pan. Then, in loosening the plug in the cartridge filter, the whole housing wanted to spin off. Got the plug loose by holding the housing stationary with a strap wrench. Then, after you drain the filter housing with the special disposable tool, you need to remove the housing that you were previously holding. To do so requires a 65mm 14 flat oil filter wrench. Autozone had a 67 mm. It only somewhat worked.

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-TOY-640/dp/B0015PK3AG works perfectly and cheaply. Plus it's sturdy.

I don't think Toyota techs use the drain plug. I found the same thing with the Rav4, which uses the same cartridge. The center plug was much tighter than the cartridge, I had to clamp the cartridge to get enough torque on the drain plug to remove it. Then, the oil in the captured space was three shades darker than the oil in the crankcase, telling me that there's little circulation in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

DJ Commie posted:

Our Infiniti G20 is close to the Primera P10/P11, that generation Sentra is beam axle and not really related, runs a QR25 rather than a SR/GA.

My Sentra has the GA16. The top-end model had the SR.

It's also my second car ever. :toot: