Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

My local Best Buy only had floor models of the Danelectro pedals left and being a bassist, I ceded the Reverb and Overdrive to the more deserving lead singer/guitarist I had in tow at the time. I did pick up one the chromatic tuner pedals for 8 dollars. I plan on gifting it to my father next time I see him! :)

C.C.C.P. posted:

Why didn't I get it? Well, because it doesn't have a truss rod. Oh, sure, it has a hole for a truss rod, it has a shaft burrowed down through the neck where one should go, but it's totally empty. I don't even know what the gently caress. It's like someone removed the trussrod for some ungodly reason (is that even possible?) or the neck was some weird factory reject that didn't have one or something.

Yeah, it's possible. That's bizarre but you made the right choice to steer clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

C.C.C.P. posted:

I got a bunch of Dan Electro pedals (Vibrato, Tremolo, EQ, Octave and Tuner). All of them except the Octave are awesome. The Octave, sadly, just doesn't track notes very well; even single notes played slowly. It still sounds like the pedal is struggling to keep up. Ughhh.
Octave pedals and tracking... that's been a problem for me the last few years. I used to have a MicroPog. It worked so well, but one day, I decided to sell it. After time had passed, I thought I'd try out other octave pedals that were cheaper. MicroPog was around 185, IIRC. None of them worked out. They were boss and I think an MXR... sadly I don't recall. They have all been sold off. None of them tracked as well. On a guitar, other pedals might have tracked out ok without any other effects, or if I didn't play as fast. But on bass, nada. Zilch. If I were to play quarter notes at 120bpm, sure, but past that, nada. They just didn't track.

Recently, I picked up a POG2 and I must say, this thing is incredible! I'm back with EHX and found THE pedal for my setup - guitar, bass, whichever. Two octaves below, two above and no tracking problems! Highly recommend it, even though it is quite a bit more expensive than other pedals.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Schatten posted:

Recently, I picked up a POG2 and I must say, this thing is incredible! I'm back with EHX and found THE pedal for my setup - guitar, bass, whichever. Two octaves below, two above and no tracking problems! Highly recommend it, even though it is quite a bit more expensive than other pedals.

I use a ring thing for pitch shifting and it tracks great as well.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I got a new fun guitar just in time for christmas! I used to have a different 8 string, but between the black finish and inline pointy headstock I didn't like it as much as this one. Can't wait till new strings get in and I can swap the pickups out! (which for stock pickups are quite nice, I just got a hell of a deal on some dimarzio d-activator 8s)

Anyone looking for an 8 string guitar should highly consider an Agile!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is that an 828? Nice call on the maple board, too.

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

Building a modular synthesizer. These are the first couple modules.

From top to bottom :
Midi interface
Oscillator
Envelope control
Amplifier

And yes I know it's sideways. No room to put it anywhere other than sitting upright on it's side for now.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
Is that the Synthesizers.com module a month deal? How does that getup sound so far?

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

amishbuttermaster posted:

Is that the Synthesizers.com module a month deal? How does that getup sound so far?

It is in fact. So far it sounds really good even though all it can do is make a pure wave tone . Its a huge upgrade from my Juno 106 and Dave Smith Mopho in terms of warmth and fatness of the tone. Just can't wait to get a filter unit and some other things for it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Jiimy posted:

It is in fact. So far it sounds really good even though all it can do is make a pure wave tone . Its a huge upgrade from my Juno 106 and Dave Smith Mopho in terms of warmth and fatness of the tone. Just can't wait to get a filter unit and some other things for it.

Well, I just ordered a blank synthesizers.com format plate to begin my modular collecting with, after reading that. I like what there is in Eurorack but I'm picky as hell about the aesthetic.

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Well, I just ordered a blank synthesizers.com format plate to begin my modular collecting with, after reading that. I like what there is in Eurorack but I'm picky as hell about the aesthetic.

I mean when you are dumping this kind of money into an instrument its ok to be picky. I almost went with a eurorack system myself but the tiny knobs would drive me crazy eventually. But yeah the square wave on my system as it stands with no filters or anything is worth twice what I have paid haha.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Most recent gear purchases; I'm an aspiring musician with absolutely horrid left hand dexterity/coordination (mild cerebral palsy :smith:) so I figure I can learn to adequately play maybe one or two instruments and mix them with VSTs and samples on an i5-2600k rig to fill in any other sounds I'd want on a track (either sequenced or played out on an Axiom 61).

I really won't be buying anything else for a looooooong while.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Is that an 828? Nice call on the maple board, too.

It sure is, and yeah, my last one had a rosewood board. I much prefer maple.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

zgrowler2 posted:

What material is that snakeskin print drumhead?

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

zgrowler2 posted:

Nice sanshin! Where'd you get it? I lucked into some shamisens a while back on a fluke (nearly impossible to buy for decent amounts of money in the US). Does it have a piezo? Or are you going to mic it?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Hadlock posted:

What material is that snakeskin print drumhead?

I wanna say it's some synthetic material. Has a fine, cross-hatched feel to it. Not the actual habu skin, as those are illegal to import into the U.S. :argh: and the one guy I know from back in Okinawa who's gotten away with it managed to write "guitar" on the customs form for the case and no one called him on it on his way back into CONUS.

communistdew posted:

Nice sanshin! Where'd you get it? I lucked into some shamisens a while back on a fluke (nearly impossible to buy for decent amounts of money in the US). Does it have a piezo? Or are you going to mic it?

Thanks! I got it for about 15000en from a dealer/craftsman in Kadena-cho, Okinawa last summer (roughly $175-$180USD at the time). Came with a pick that a cat subsequently made off with to parts unknown. I lived in Okinawa, Japan for ~5.5 years on and off over the past decade, so I decided to buy it as a nice ethnic instrument that I can actually justify purchasing.

No piezo, but I currently mic it with an AT2020 ran through a Behringer mixer. Considering getting another AT2020 to mic it in stereo, but that money could probably be better spent getting another pick (although finger-picking is acceptable).

Also, tension pegs ftl.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Jiimy posted:

I've always been tempted to do that deal but I use synthesized sounds so rarely that it would be nothing more than an expensive novelty.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

zgrowler2 posted:

Most recent gear purchases; I'm an aspiring musician with absolutely horrid left hand dexterity/coordination (mild cerebral palsy :smith:)

Hey dude, I have mild cp and horrible left hand dexterity too. I just started learning guitar. Do you have any tips/tricks/excersises etc. that can help? I'd really appreciate it.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

So, after I picked up my new Ampeg B200R from my local Guitar Center Monday morning I then drove out to North Hollywood to see a stranger about this...

A 1979 Rickenbacker 4001! I finally sold my 1996 Rickenbacker 4003 this past Saturday and ended up happening upon this listed on Craigslist for a little less! It sounds way better than my 4003 ever did. The neck is shaped perfect and the action is so low it makes me want to puke. It even came with the original case and bridge pickup cover! It's in really good condition for being so old. I'm so smitten. :3:

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

metachronos posted:

Hey dude, I have mild cp and horrible left hand dexterity too. I just started learning guitar. Do you have any tips/tricks/excersises etc. that can help? I'd really appreciate it.

- Mobility and strength are key
- Regular stretching works wonders, especially if your range of motion is limited to begin with. It doesn't hurt to stretch your whole arm either, since you'll be moving up and down the fretboard.
- Improving strength in the fingers with squeeze balls, tennis balls, hand grips, etc. is good as well
- You can improve strength in your wrist with exercises like this (as always, proper form is essential)

As far as improving speed of playing, arpeggios and scales are always good to practice. Coming up with random sequences never hurts either. Just watch out for repetitive motion injuries.

This takes time and effort. Muscles don't grow overnight, especially if there's any degree of atrophy. tbh, it gets to be a hassle sometimes - but you do get results if you stick with it, and that's the important part.

Rock on, goon. Hope this helps.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

no dad im not gay! posted:

So, after I picked up my new Ampeg B200R from my local Guitar Center Monday morning I then drove out to North Hollywood to see a stranger about this...

A 1979 Rickenbacker 4001! I finally sold my 1996 Rickenbacker 4003 this past Saturday and ended up happening upon this listed on Craigslist for a little less! It sounds way better than my 4003 ever did. The neck is shaped perfect and the action is so low it makes me want to puke. It even came with the original case and bridge pickup cover! It's in really good condition for being so old. I'm so smitten. :3:

You know that scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure when he bike is stolen and everyone around him is riding really cool bikes?

That's how I feel about 4001/4003 basses and me right now. : ( Cept I never had a Ric bass and I certainly hope if I did it would never be stolen.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 13, 2011

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Whoah, my picture is REALLY blurry. Maybe I'll take a better one.

Noise Machine posted:

You know that scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure when he bike is stolen and everyone around him is riding really cool bikes?

That's how I feel about 4001/4003 basses and me right now. : (

Keep looking, keep searching! There's a 4001 on Craigslist LA right now for 800 dollars. It is beat to poo poo but a price like that still would have been unheard of 2 years ago.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Keep looking, keep searching! There's a 4001 on Craigslist LA right now for 800 dollars. It is beat to poo poo but a price like that still would have been unheard of 2 years ago.

I've heard about Peavey T-40s being like a Poor Man's Rick, but does it make me a vain person if I want the ric more because I like the look of the bass better?

Edit: When I was first becoming aware of music and bands and guitars I thought for some reason all english bands had to have Rickenbackers and all American bands had to have Fenders.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 13, 2011

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

I've heard about Peavey T-40s being like a Poor Man's Rick, but does it make me a vain person if I want the ric more because I like the look of the bass better?

Edit: When I was first becoming aware of music and bands and guitars I thought for some reason all english bands had to have Rickenbackers and all American bands had to have Fenders.

I've heard that too but T-40s weigh a bazillion pounds. A Jazz Bass with an EQ pedal will get you most of the way there, trust me. I bought a Rickenbacker because 1. I love The Jam and 2. yes, they're just about the prettiest basses ever made.

I thought for the longest time Rickenbackers were made in England!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I've heard that too but T-40s weigh a bazillion pounds. A Jazz Bass with an EQ pedal will get you most of the way there, trust me. I bought a Rickenbacker because 1. I love The Jam and 2. yes, they're just about the prettiest basses ever made.

I totally have a jazz bass, how'd do you have to EQ it to get that sound?

I love The Jam and the sound of Ric-with-Pick but I saw this video and realized that I can get a great thick meaty sound with a rick bass too for jazz/RnB type stuff.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

I totally have a jazz bass, how'd do you have to EQ it to get that sound?

I've noticed I get close to that Rickenbacker "clank" when I put some fresh strings on my Jazz-type basses and boost the lows a bit to compensate for the brightness. You have to consider the rubberband-like tone of a Rickenbacker. Even the treble strings have some girth. Aside from that I find it rather difficult for me to discern the tonal difference between the two because most of the time they sound rather much alike.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Noise Machine posted:

Does it make me even more vain that I'd prefer to have one of the many knock-offs that are even harder to find (in good quality)?

An old buddy has one, it sounded beautiful, like plonking on piano strings. I just emailed him to ask about it :v:

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

zgrowler2 posted:

- Mobility and strength are key
- Regular stretching works wonders, especially if your range of motion is limited to begin with. It doesn't hurt to stretch your whole arm either, since you'll be moving up and down the fretboard.
- Improving strength in the fingers with squeeze balls, tennis balls, hand grips, etc. is good as well
- You can improve strength in your wrist with exercises like this (as always, proper form is essential)

As far as improving speed of playing, arpeggios and scales are always good to practice. Coming up with random sequences never hurts either. Just watch out for repetitive motion injuries.

This takes time and effort. Muscles don't grow overnight, especially if there's any degree of atrophy. tbh, it gets to be a hassle sometimes - but you do get results if you stick with it, and that's the important part.

Rock on, goon. Hope this helps.

This looks like it'll be a huge help thanks.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Took another trip to the local shop a couple weeks ago to try and see if there was anything new for decent starter piece and found a Xaviere semi hollow LPalike hanging in the corner. Remembering Warcabbit's constant ravings I gave it a shot and found the neck comfy enough to wait and see if GFS would have a black friday sale of some sort before throwing down cash for a Dean and a block of wood.

They did

And for the hell of it got one of these too

Not pictured micro cube.

Aside from a hellacious buzz which I'm hoping is the guitar just needing a screen job and not the amp or house wiring being hosed, everything has worked out surprisingly well.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Noise Machine posted:

Have a look at RIC's own forum at rickenbacker.com. Although there's - understandably - no dedicated section for used instruments, several regulars there maintain sites for repairs/trades/etc. There's excellent advice on used Ricks in general.

The word on '70s 4001s at the moment is that they are becoming too expensive for what they're really worth. Lots of basses around with bridge lift, damaged truss rods, shoddy fretboard repairs due to incorrect trussrod adjustments - neck tweaks on older Ricks need a completely different technique from most other guitars.

The 4003 now has a push/pull thing that cuts in the treble PU capacitor for the old 4001 sound. I'd definitely consider going for one of those if I ever lost my '77 4001. There's also that annoying side-effect you get with older/valuable instruments: can't let them out of your sight when you're gigging, and you tend to baby them too much; i.e. in a way detrimental to your on-stage spontaneity.

Rickenbacker has been putting their foot down with eBay and similar sites re. copies and refurbished (with non-original parts) instruments, so you're not going to find tonnes of copies. Most of them don't sound like Ricks anyway. However, I remember playing a friend's 4001 copy, which was basically the same guitar Peter Hook was playing with Joy Division. Early Korean brand called Hondo. That thing sounded very good indeed, even compared to my original. You could look around for one of those - they sold for ~250 new at the time...

As for imitating the 4001 sound with a Jazz; I have a '72, and they're really 2 different beasts entirely. The only thing that can come close in my experience are (semi-)hollow models after some creative EQing. Maybe it's the neck-through design on Ricks, but there's that 'plonky' wooden element in the tone that makes it so different from the more in-your-face Fender sound.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Specter posted:

Aside from a hellacious buzz which I'm hoping is the guitar just needing a screen job and not the amp or house wiring being hosed, everything has worked out surprisingly well.

It probably needs a screen job real badly. My 585 did. But you've got a microcube, check it on battery.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I may be being a moron, but what's a screen job?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Allen Wren posted:

I may be being a moron, but what's a screen job?

shielding the electronics compartment

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ah! Very good. Carry on.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Underflow posted:

Have a look at RIC's own forum at rickenbacker.com. Although there's - understandably - no dedicated section for used instruments, several regulars there maintain sites for repairs/trades/etc. There's excellent advice on used Ricks in general.

The word on '70s 4001s at the moment is that they are becoming too expensive for what they're really worth. Lots of basses around with bridge lift, damaged truss rods, shoddy fretboard repairs due to incorrect trussrod adjustments - neck tweaks on older Ricks need a completely different technique from most other guitars.

The 4003 now has a push/pull thing that cuts in the treble PU capacitor for the old 4001 sound. I'd definitely consider going for one of those if I ever lost my '77 4001. There's also that annoying side-effect you get with older/valuable instruments: can't let them out of your sight when you're gigging, and you tend to baby them too much; i.e. in a way detrimental to your on-stage spontaneity.

Rickenbacker has been putting their foot down with eBay and similar sites re. copies and refurbished (with non-original parts) instruments, so you're not going to find tonnes of copies. Most of them don't sound like Ricks anyway. However, I remember playing a friend's 4001 copy, which was basically the same guitar Peter Hook was playing with Joy Division. Early Korean brand called Hondo. That thing sounded very good indeed, even compared to my original. You could look around for one of those - they sold for ~250 new at the time...

As for imitating the 4001 sound with a Jazz; I have a '72, and they're really 2 different beasts entirely. The only thing that can come close in my experience are (semi-)hollow models after some creative EQing. Maybe it's the neck-through design on Ricks, but there's that 'plonky' wooden element in the tone that makes it so different from the more in-your-face Fender sound.

I can't stand the new 4003 Rics! They went back to the older 60's body shape with the slimmer horns and it makes the instrument look so fragile. I think the Rics from the early to mid 70's-'96 looked the best.

Aside from fragile Gibsons and Epiphones, I treat them all guitars the same. New or old, it doens't matter. I can't fathom doing things any differently. After the show I'm going to watch my poo poo like a hawk but It doesn't matter if it's old or new, cheap or expensive, if I brought it out to play then it means it's good and I don't want to see it get stolen.

A few years back I had a neck-through Greco 4001 copy serving as a backup to my 4003 and I thought it was really well built. The Japanese copies are superb instruments and to anybody looking to buy one, my advice is to search Ishibashi's used section regularly. You're guaranteed to find one or two every few months.

The only semi-hollow I own is a '68 Gibson EB-2. I don't think I'm going to be able to cross reference! Haha. There is definitely a woody undertone to the Ric sound though, I agree.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Warcabbit posted:

Oh, hey, did someone say cheap reverse-headstocks?
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-890-Drop-Top-Setneck-Flamed-maple-BOUND-Floyd-Rose-Guitars_c_359.html
These just got a top cheap guitar award from Guitar Player magazine.

I'm seriously considering picking one of these up after camping my local craigslist for the last 3 months and not finding any good deals on a cheap but good guitar with a tremolo. This would be my second guitar ever. :v:

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

Oh, hey, did someone say cheap reverse-headstocks?
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-890-Drop-Top-Setneck-Flamed-maple-BOUND-Floyd-Rose-Guitars_c_359.html
These just got a top cheap guitar award from Guitar Player magazine.

What really bothers me about these is that for $75-$100 more it could have a regular Floyd and not a special...

edit: stupid symbol mix up

Lriagan fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 15, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I've never had a proper amp, so I splurged on this bad boy. Vox AC30C2. So far I couldn't be happier. :D My neighbors are going to hate me.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

That's my DREAM AMP. The way those things break up while retaining that clean chime is just amazing.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I've never had a proper amp, so I splurged on this bad boy. Vox AC30C2. So far I couldn't be happier. :D My neighbors are going to hate me.

Good godness that is a beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Be very careful with amp stands like that one. I've seen slippage accidents where the 2 bars holding the amp went right into the speakers from behind. It won't just slip by itself of course, but putting it on/taking it off the stand when the weight of the amp can cause the stand to tilt is best done with a clear head and both hands free - not always easy in a rock & roll environment.