Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, that ending was remarkably unsatisfying. I guess it fits with the game's storytelling style, but drat.

One thing that bothered me is that I went to the trouble of getting all the sorceries but the achievement never popped. Missed a pyro spell in the Painted World, so that's out, and getting all the miracles is a nightmare, but at least one would have been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

a foolish pianist posted:

The eagle shield doesn't have a parry, but rather a shield bash. Try something smaller than a great shield - the silver knight shield is a nice alternative.

Aaaand suddenly my inability to parry makes sense, haha. I've only been using that shield over half the loving game.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: Also, is it at all possible to get a second Blue Titanite Slab? A magic weapon was a good idea, but not so much the painting guardian sword as it turns out.

Gotta grind it from the butterflies in the Crystal Caves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

neetz posted:

Gotta grind it from the butterflies in the Crystal Caves.

How do you even hurt those? Sorcery? My arrows just bounced off.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

KingCrimson posted:

Finally beat the Capra Demon after what seemed like 30 tries. I don't know if I've ever played a game that I've been this terrible at and still keep coming back to. I've got 14 hours on my character so far and I've only beat the 3rd boss :ohdear:

Had this same issue. Made a strength character and I just barely beat him after a couple sittings. When I faced him the second time on my mage he went down in one. Are you summoning people for help? Every time I fight a boss for the first time with a distraction I've been able to beat them.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

Aaaand suddenly my inability to parry makes sense, haha. I've only been using that shield over half the loving game.

It is entirely possible to beat Gywn without parry, I've beaten him at least 4 times now and never have I parried him. I tried to once but it didn't work out. It is difficult to find openings but the best one is right after he misses a grab, he will stumble and that is probably the safest time to hit him. Also if you are using a big weapon like a greatsword or an axe he is very easy to stagger. If you need to heal abuse the pillars in the room. If you place a pillar inbetween you and Gwyn he will usually charge right into it and get stuck, but be aware you need to give him some space because his sword will go right through it. Use the highest fire resist shield you have, Black Knight shields have the highest fire resist in the game at 95.00 and you can farm one in the Kiln but Gwyn also does a lot of stamina damage so you should probably upgrade it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So it doesn't seem like Acid Surge is really worth having even for troll PVP. Barely taken off any durability so it seems.

mr.sassypants
Aug 25, 2004

Who dropped the duck?

LegendofDongslayer. posted:

Had this same issue. Made a strength character and I just barely beat him after a couple sittings. When I faced him the second time on my mage he went down in one. Are you summoning people for help? Every time I fight a boss for the first time with a distraction I've been able to beat them.

I summoned the NPC for the Bell Gargoyles but I'll probably be summoning other players now that I know how it's done.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Kongming posted:

you should probably upgrade it.

And where does one get Demon Titanite when every area is cleared and all the Titanite Demons are dead? :suicide:

Edit: I didn't have a Silver Knight Shield, so I made myself a Fire Spider Shield +9. I managed to get one successful parry on him, but it's not a shield suitable for the fight as blocking one hit fully drains my stamina.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

And where does one get Demon Titanite when every area is cleared and all the Titanite Demons are dead? :suicide:

Edit: I didn't have a Silver Knight Shield, so I made myself a Fire Spider Shield +9. I managed to get one successful parry on him, but it's not a shield suitable for the fight as blocking one hit fully drains my stamina.

The demon in the Lost Izalith shortcut respawns. It's also a giant pain in the rear end to kill, but if you need Demon Titanite, that's your source.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Black Knight Shield is upgraded with Twinkling Titanite, which is purchasable from the giant blacksmith. As a bonus the Black Knight Shield can parry if you want to try that.

If you are having trouble with parrying then you can still use an Eagle Shield. It will have higher stability which means you can block more hits but more damage will get through, still better then taking the full hit though.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Black Knight Shield requires twinkling titanite man.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

neetz posted:

Black Knight Shield requires twinkling titanite man.

SHUT UP SHUT UP I'm cranky and not thinking clearly. Thanks.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I have a new found respect for the serpent-man sword.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hey I'm wondering, is it worth it to do a sunbro faith build to throw lightning? I just got killed by an invader whom I was beating to a pulp in melee until he danced away and started tossing lightning at me for huge damage. I'm already at L38 with lots of str but I'm wondering if its worth it to throw 12+ points into faith and some more into Attunement...

Thoughts?

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

Kongming posted:

So now that I got platinum with my Strength character I am going to build a Dex character. I know Balder's Sidesword is a good Dex weapon but are there any others worth trying? Was looking at Painting Guardian sword because it has such high Dex scaling but wondering if anyone who has gone Dex can fill me in.

Try Ricard's Rapier; decent scaling, almost as much range as the Estoc, and doesn't take anything special to upgrade it.

The R2 multi-stab is a pretty good way to take down something's health if you can find a decent opening for it.

If you can scrounge up enough Dragon Scales and can actually manage to get it, Priscilla's Dagger has a 50% bleed on top of S scaling when fully upgraded.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zain posted:

So it doesn't seem like Acid Surge is really worth having even for troll PVP. Barely taken off any durability so it seems.

It actually drains durability rather quickly, the problem is getting anyone to stand in it for any meaningful amount of time. One thing to note is that it will break pyro flames very fast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hey I'm wondering, is it worth it to do a sunbro faith build to throw lightning? I just got killed by an invader whom I was beating to a pulp in melee until he danced away and started tossing lightning at me for huge damage. I'm already at L38 with lots of str but I'm wondering if its worth it to throw 12+ points into faith and some more into Attunement...

Thoughts?

Lightning Spears are ridiculously easy to dodge after your first encounter with them, and they're nearly useless in PvP because anyone who's seen them even once will know the timing well enough to backstab all the blood out of you.

They're apparently pretty decent against monsters, though.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Zain posted:

I have a new found respect for the serpent-man sword.

Whys that?

Also the best place to farm Demon Titanite is the titanite demon that respawns, leading to the secret door or from the secret door(depending on where you're coming from) in lost izalith. He drops two every time.

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009
So there are a lot of helms with unique effects (Dark Sun, Sunlight Maggot, Father/Mother/Child mask, Crown of Dusk etc), but are there any other armor pieces (chest/gloves/legs) that provide more than just stats?

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

Every time I've fought Gwyn the only moves he's done against me are the leaping smash and the 3-4 swing combo. They look really scary, but all I had to do was dodge all 4 swings and tag him, rinse and repeat. Dodging is a viable way to beat every boss aside from BoC without taking any damage, in my opinion. That's why every character I've made ends up wearing flip ring permanently, it's way overpowered. I even just beat the game with a guy using a Demon Great Machete and 2 pieces of Havel's. Do whatever it takes to get that flip and you can't lose.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Willfrey posted:

There are two other ways, one guaranteed way is to complete the Sigmere (AKA BroOnion) quest, though it is easy to gently caress up the order.

Or, you can try and farm it though it is very rare. The DarkWraith (Skullknights) have a very small chance of dropping one. Seems to be DeS equivalent of Pure Bladestone.
I just ran into onion head in the blight swamps as it were. Gave him some purple moss. Am I doing this slab quest right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KingCrimson posted:

Finally beat the Capra Demon after what seemed like 30 tries. I don't know if I've ever played a game that I've been this terrible at and still keep coming back to. I've got 14 hours on my character so far and I've only beat the 3rd boss :ohdear:

If it makes you feel any better about your own skills, with that Capra demon you're more fighting the horrible environment than the demon himself, as I'm sure you noticed. :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
When I get back home from this little business trip I'm gonna have to try a character with quick roll instead of flip. I'm told that it's apparently better than the flip when used as an offensive roll because of its shorter animation and shorter distance it covers.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
^^ e: But darkwood grain is so loving good it should be nerfed, as you I believe pointed out several pages back. So much free equip burden is hard to pass up.

Arcaeris posted:

If you bow before PVP you are a douche and you deserve to get slammed. Why don't you just joust dicks with him while you're at it?

:cry: my honor :cry:

Nice troll human being.

The general notion is that because Darkwraith's like PvP you're doing them a favor by indicting them, I'm saying I'd prefer not to deal with them so it stands to reason that that notion isn't always true.

So gently caress off. Go back under your rock and stay the gently caress out of a thread you only showed up in to troll.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 12, 2011

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Feenix posted:

I just ran into onion head in the blight swamps as it were. Gave him some purple moss. Am I doing this slab quest right?

Yup, you haven't screwed things up yet. What's left: You need to kill a golden Golem in the little forest area behind the Duke's archives to free his daughter, and tell her you've seen him. She'll show up at Firelink, where you again tell her you've seen him. Finally, in Lost Izalith you should find him standing beside a pit. In this pit are a bunch of monsters. DON'T TALK TO HIM YET. Go down into the pit (there are some stairs you can find) and kill all but 1 in the area right below Onionbro (there are five monsters down there, but the one not in the pit doesn't count. Now talk to him and he'll leap into the pit to fight. Follow him down there and make sure he's got more than 50% health when the last one dies. Now you can find him and his daughter at the bonfire at the base of the Great Hollow to conclude the quest.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

Nice troll human being.

I'm with you 100% but there's really no need for that.

On another subject, here's a thing that might be with trying with regards to Priscilla's tail. In the Painted World today, I'd noticed a few phantoms carrying the Channeler's Tridant and firing off the buff dance before the initial tail strike. Every single time, regardless of the weapon hitting the tail, it immediately fell clean off. I even saw one guy forget to two hand his Demon's Great Axe and ended up clipping it with that slovenly not-enough-strength swing and it still came off. Lucky fluke or legitimate method? I don't have one to try, sadly.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

oneliquidninja posted:

Nice troll human being.

The general notion is that because Darkwraith's like PvP you're doing them a favor by indicting them, I'm saying I'd prefer not to deal with them so it stands to reason that that notion isn't always true.

So gently caress off. Go back under your rock and stay the gently caress out of a thread you only showed up in to troll.

Maybe this mentality matured over time , after he had bowed so many times(in Kiln only) and just got rushed/TWoP'd by the other person? I'm getting there myself with the kiln. I don't think people that DO bow are shitheads obvs but to add on to what I just said, there are people that will bow then run and pot, camp monsters, etc... if youre going for an all out win why bow?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bowing sounds like saying 'gg' in league of legends or starcraft 2--an utterly meaningless pleasantry that people say purely out of reflex without any actual good will. Or, worse, that they only say when they win (with corresponding 'bg' for the sore losers).

So gently caress em and stab em, I say :v:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
If the invader bows, good for him. If you want to be polite, hang back and let his bow finish before engaging, but don't bow yourself that's just dumb.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Ball Stink posted:

Whys that?
Hit's pretty hard and causes a stagger that's hard to break out of.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

oneliquidninja posted:

:confused: I've posted a ton in this thread, thanks, and I still think it's douchey to bow. Go ahead and do it, though, and get snaked by everyone who isn't as chivalrous. Me, I'll continue to use regular enemies, terrain, group attacks, and whatever else I can to take victory.

Besides, the only gesture worth using is the Sunbro gesture. Win in PVP? Sunbro. Get summoned? Sunbro. Two cat covenant dudes kill a dude just trying to beat Sif? Double sunbro.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

:confused: I've posted a ton in this thread, thanks, and I still think it's douchey to bow. Go ahead and do it, though, and get snaked by everyone who isn't as chivalrous. Me, I'll continue to use regular enemies, terrain, group attacks, and whatever else I can to take victory.

Besides, the only gesture worth using is the Sunbro gesture. Win in PVP? Sunbro. Get summoned? Sunbro. Two cat covenant dudes kill a dude just trying to beat Sif? Double sunbro.

That's fine if you think it's douchy and I'm sorry for calling you a human being (I have homosexual friends and I meant it more in a you're a douche way and not in a hate speech way, if I get banned for it I deserve it. It's a word I'm very careful to use in real life and it's a word I shouldn't be using here either). I apologize to anyone I offended with my language.

I over reacted because I felt trolled.

When I invade anyplace other then the Kiln I'm there to be a dick. I expect the host to summon phantoms and do whatever it takes to survive. I'll do everything I can as well to kill him including using monsters, knocking them off bridges, or whatever. And I certainly don't bow when I'm behaving like that.

The Kiln, at least in my experience, has been a different story. A lot of people seem to go to the Kiln solely to dual. Hosts don't generally flask, people usually bow or at least wait until you're finished bowing to attack, invaders usually don't run off to the nearest NPC, and I rarely find a host with phantoms camping the place like I find in the forest.

It's just a different mindset.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 12, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am terrible at PVP but I do like getting invaded sometimes, if only for those moments where a guy with a name like DASHADOWREAPA backstabs me and drains less than half my health.

Times like those I do wish I could taunt every now and then.

"GO AHEAD AND RUN, YOU'LL JUST DIE TIRED"

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

The Kiln, at least in my experience, has been a different story. A lot of people seem to go to the Kiln solely to dual. Hosts don't generally flask, people usually bow or at least wait until you're finished bowing to attack, invaders usually don't run off to the nearest NPC, and I rarely find a host with phantoms camping the place like I find in the forest.

In all my hours it's been exactly the same. Even in double invasions through soap stones and red/blue phantoms or whatever the invader not fighting will generally saunter off to the edge and just watch. It's not through some ridiculous code of honour or whatever, emoting is a fun little preamble. Dogpiling somebody doing an emote robs you of a good fight, basically. Anything outside of the Kiln is obviously a free for all but within it, I've rarely (come to think of it, never) seen it go any other way. It was exactly the same way in certain Demon's Souls areas.

I can't even get summoned for co-op without there being a massive round of gestures at the start and before the boss door. It's all part of the fun.

neetz fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 12, 2011

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I've done a lot of pvp, and actually from a Japanese standpoint, it is to say "I'm ready". Skilled players do this, even low level darkwraiths 1v1ing in Burg, but obviously there's no point in bowing when you're invading against 3 others.

It's also seen in other games too, some off the top of my head - no early killing in Bomberman, saying "yoroshiku" at the beginning of Castlevania HD matches and before bosses, same thing for Gundam EX VS... etc.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ledneh posted:

Bowing sounds like saying 'gg' in league of legends or starcraft 2--an utterly meaningless pleasantry that people say purely out of reflex without any actual good will. Or, worse, that they only say when they win (with corresponding 'bg' for the sore losers).

So gently caress em and stab em, I say :v:

For me at least its a bit more meaningful than that. Maybe its just coming from playing a lot of DeS PvP but bowing is more agreeing to/thanks for a fair fight rather than a pleasantry. In DaS I always bow before a potential fight, but never close enough to risk getting backstabbed. You can usually tell the people who will try to gank when you bow because they walk super close to you and then wait for you to bow first. Truly honorable/smart players bow from a distance. People not bowing back doesn't bother me at all though. This kind of etiquette takes a while to evolve as people begin to realize that cheaply ganking people, while funny the first couple times, isn't actually as fun as a fair 1v1 duel.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

neetz posted:

Even in double invasions through soap stones and red/blue phantoms or whatever the invader not fighting will generally saunter off to the edge and just watch. It's not through some ridiculous code of honour or whatever, it's a fun little preamble. Dogpiling somebody doing an emote robs you of a good fight, basically.

It's exactly this. It's because most people in the Kiln want a fair one on one fight. You can call it honor or sportsmanlike conduct or whatever you want. But the fact is I go to the Kiln for the rush of testing my skill and build against another human player in a fair match.

I've had an invader (a darkmoon no less) try to backstab me in the Kiln while I was fighting a red phantom I summoned through a red sign. The red phantom and I immediately turned on the blue phantom and killed him together. I used a flask because the blue had hit me a few times, the red popped a humanity.

We bowed and went back at it.

But yeah, as Volitaire just said, I never bow if my enemy is within striking distance of me. And I shouldn't ever bow if they have a catalyst out but sometimes it's hard to tell for sure when you're far away (not that they can't swap while I'm bowing and blast me anyway).

e: And yeah, people not bowing doesn't bug me. Getting shot in the face while bowing does but this behavior seems to be the exception rather then the rule. That exception though has always been a blue invader for me thus far so I'm not particularly fond of blue invasions in the Kiln.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 12, 2011

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
The exception has become more prominent after the nerf of fog ring and TWOP. People are either getting the jump or doing that as well as camping with a friend waiting for invaders to farm. it's pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Dude, gently caress Sen's Fortress. I get outside and get nuked out of nowhere, stun-locked by fire and die over and over. I can't even tell what's happening. What do I do?

• Locked thread