Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Frome posted:

Haha drat

I'm still a little bit confused about this. How they hell did she escape under the cover of smoke if the other titans were eating her?

Simple: she disengaged from it while they started to try to devour her, then 3D maneuvered out as the body deteriorated. The deterioration obscured her enough to hide from both Rivalle and the giants.

And I have to say, I love that for once, BELIEVE BLINDLY IN YOUR FRIENDS has failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Zorak posted:

Simple: she disengaged from it while they started to try to devour her, then 3D maneuvered out as the body deteriorated. The deterioration obscured her enough to hide from both Rivalle and the giants.

And I have to say, I love that for once, BELIEVE BLINDLY IN YOUR FRIENDS has failed.

I knew the moment that went down that it wasn't going to end well, but I was expecting them to employ tactics that were intentionally kept from Eren, like some sort of titan virus or whatever that he might not be okay with being a titan himself, that they were keeping just in case he decides to go rogue so that he wouldn't be able to combat it.

Then they all got murdered and it was like fuuuuuuck.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zorak posted:

I love how you're led on like it's all gonna work and then 3 pages later they're all dead.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I thought she had taken off Gunther's head at first, then I looked closer and thought she only hit his shoulder and went "Help Gunther!". Then you see that she severed his spinal cord and there's just a bit of flesh holding his head on. :(

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Schubalts posted:

I thought she had taken off Gunther's head at first, then I looked closer and thought she only hit his shoulder and went "Help Gunther!". Then you see that she severed his spinal cord and there's just a bit of flesh holding his head on. :(
"My specialty... involves flesh... and the lacerating thereof."

By the way, where did this woman go?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Btw, i didn't piss myself

I just died a horrible death

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress. Yes. Awesome way to end that chapter.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Just binged on about 5 chapters straight. When can we expect the next one?

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Nilbop posted:

Just binged on about 5 chapters straight. When can we expect the next one?

The magazine comes out on the 9th of every month and scans are caught up.

Jackard posted:

"My specialty... involves flesh... and the lacerating thereof."

By the way, where did this woman go?

She's in the standing troops that protect the walls, not the scouting legion, so it makes sense she's not around. She does have a similar appearance to the female titan and was not a fan of Eren, but she also seemed pretty unhappy about her friends dying.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
Holy poo poo, this chapter. This turn of events came out of NOWHERE, but it makes sense it could happen given what we've learned about the titans. I loving love this writer.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I will have to say it again: Ive never ever read a manga or comic book of any kind with such an absurd mortality rate. Is "realistic" too, given the situation.

Its both awesome and heartbreaking how characters are introduced, developed a little, and then, right when we are starting to get fond of then, brutally murdered.

This chapter was one of the best so far, cant wait for the next one.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

dis astranagant posted:

I love how you're led on like it's all gonna work and then 3 pages later they're all dead.

This should be the tagline of the entire series.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This manga is so refreshing. Nice having a story were both the heroes and the villains act intelligently, subverts tropes and isn't afraid to murder every single character that gets introduced

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Zorak posted:

I couldn't agree more! Now he gets to live with the consequences of his decision.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I feel really bad about what happened to those guys though. drat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have a feeling that engaging the titan instead of fleeing is going to bite Eren in the rear end. After all, the female titan's whole goal was to flush him out, and now he's right in front of her.

As strong as Eren is, his opponent has shown a remarkable resistance to being dead and a greater ability at remaining clear minded.

I don't see this ending well...

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Schwarzwald posted:

I have a feeling that engaging the titan instead of fleeing is going to bite Eren in the rear end. After all, the female titan's whole goal was to flush him out, and now he's right in front of her.

As strong as Eren is, his opponent has shown a remarkable resistance to being dead and a greater ability at remaining clear minded.

Very true. The trust he should've given them was not that they'd be able to take her down. It was that him returning to the army to get away from her would be the right decision in the long run.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Well she hasn't fully regenerated yet ,so he might be able to beat the poo poo out of her. If you noticed she still has her muscles severed so she cant guard. But I still agree that this wont end well for Eren, female is just too strong and has full control of her mind when transformed.

Although who knows, she might kiss him next chapter, its about the only thing she can probably do :iamafag:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I love that they're really going with the government conspiracy angle. As interesting as the premise is I was worried it would wear thin after two hundred or so chapters of titan killing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well she hasn't fully regenerated yet ,so he might be able to beat the poo poo out of her. If you noticed she still has her muscles severed so she cant guard.

She just came back from being devoured whole by a horde of lesser titans. Even if Eren does beat the poo poo out of her, what's to the person inside from just reforming the body from scratch again?

Another thought to keep in mind is that all the other titans are still there, and they're not all that far away.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

She just came back from being devoured whole by a horde of lesser titans. Even if Eren does beat the poo poo out of her, what's to the person inside from just reforming the body from scratch again?

Another thought to keep in mind is that all the other titans are still there, and they're not all that far away.

They mentioned that Eren was really worn out just from transforming once and that if the enemy knew how to "conserve their stamina" she would be able to transform again. So presumably it takes a lot out of you when you do that, so I dont think doing it repeatedly is possible very many times.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
The last panel of chapter 28 is the epitome of rage. :black101: I just wish this came out more regularly.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

After reading this much of the manga, we can always conclude that whatever Eren does is going to bite him in the rear end somehow. Just like real life, there's always a consequence for your actions :smith:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I yelled "yeah" way too loudly at the end of the chapter because that page looks cool as gently caress.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Author's art is getting slightly more tolerable, something about the head proportions were (and still are just a tiny bit though) out of whack. One thing he absolutely does great is the sense of motion and speed. All the panels really do a good job of illustrating it.

Now about the female "Conserving Stamina", I think its less about the actual act of transformation and more about using calculated and measured attacks against enemies instead of going full out and clobbering everything like Eren does. Emotions might also be a factor on it, maybe being in a pissed off state of mind when doing it will drain more than being calmed and collected.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The art lends to the story somehow. In the non-action scenes it's a bit offputting but during the action its roughness kind of lends to the chaotic scene it's representing. I dunno, I can't imagine that significantly better quality in the art side of it would make it any better than it already is.

This story is a really great example of what something like GANTZ could have been but isn't.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

poo poo yes. It just keeps piling on with the suspense. Also MEANINGFUL CHOICES

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
Maybe actual fighting techniques work in this world. Eren has a full mount on her, and can seemingly just ground and pound her. He can maybe even pull out some BJJ, and start submitting her. Of course Titat physiology may just be a lot crazier than we expect.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
You know, that's a good point. When Eren first transformed, didn't he kill a lot of the lesser Titans with a few boxing moves?

Despite everything that happened, I'm confident that Eren will be to pull through, despite all the disadvantages. I mean, that's kind of his thing. Getting eaten the first time he fought a Titan didn't stop him after all.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 13, 2011

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah one of the most badass panels so far has been Titan-Eren going into that boxing stance.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Breaky posted:

The art lends to the story somehow. In the non-action scenes it's a bit offputting but during the action its roughness kind of lends to the chaotic scene it's representing. I dunno, I can't imagine that significantly better quality in the art side of it would make it any better than it already is.

This story is a really great example of what something like GANTZ could have been but isn't.

You get the feeling there's a point to this story. With Gantz I originally thought that the point was that there was no point, but now it's become apparent there's simply ... no point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
With Gantz, it was pretty clear that the identity of the aliens wasn't really important. In SnK, the true nature of the titans is of paramount importance and has been since the first chapter.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Elemennop posted:

Maybe actual fighting techniques work in this world. Eren has a full mount on her, and can seemingly just ground and pound her. He can maybe even pull out some BJJ, and start submitting her. Of course Titat physiology may just be a lot crazier than we expect.

More in this vein: I don't think Eren is thinking this far ahead, but it occurs to me that attacking now may be the most tactically sound thing he could do. Earlier, they were having to slow the female titan down with suicide squads pretty regularly, and this time, it doesn't look like he got very far before she killed his last remaining support. If he kept running, she'd probably catch him anyway, and regenerate in the meantime to boot. On the other hand, attacking by surprise while she's still crippled, half-blind, and at least a little tired gives him about the best odds he's gonna get.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
I bet the female titan is Annie, they are going to get into a fist fight and Eren is going to recognize her combat moves.

Rivers
Jan 19, 2007

Elemennop posted:

I think that was the point of the author making Eren the top of his class in hand-to-hand combat, an otherwise pointless skill when fighting giants.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Haha. I just imagined a couple of sinewy muscley giants doing arm bars on each other. There's just something slightly absurd about that notion!

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
other option is that they build huge rear end swords and other weapons for him to use when he turns into a giant

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

use cannons as pistols

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
NGE all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mo_Steel posted:

The last panel of chapter 28 is the epitome of rage. :black101: I just wish this came out more regularly.

Eren's Titan form is just so angry looking that you've got to assume any human Titans in the area take a quick double think about attacking.

Rivers posted:

I think that was the point of the author making Eren the top of his class in hand-to-hand combat, an otherwise pointless skill when fighting giants.

I did like how time was taken to make sure everyone understood how worthless hand to hand and knife fighting skills were when fighting a Titan. Then Eren turns into a Titan, and suddenly it's actually important! Though I am confused as to how Eren was the most hard core 6 year old ever, then seemed to regress to mild bully annoyance by the time he was a teenager.