Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Yeah, he tried a "Staggered Avalanche" in Hero of Ages, had a minor relapse in Way of Kings, but it looks like he finally figured out how to do a properly paced "normal" climax on his own terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I prefer the standard Avalanche myself.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, he tried a "Staggered Avalanche" in Hero of Ages, had a minor relapse in Way of Kings, but it looks like he finally figured out how to do a properly paced "normal" climax on his own terms.

What was the avalanche in Kings? The only thing I can think of is at the very end you learn who the Parshendi really are/were and I guess Szeth's master. anything else I thought was rather blatantly shown earlier

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Capntastic posted:

I don't really care about exciting fights for the sake of there being fights, but as I said, in IB:A he builds up this big sort of challenge by way of an enemy palace full of tough as heck monsters and then skips even the barest description of the fights, and it's kind of a let down. It kind of cheats the reader out of the pay off, I feel. Does he do that sort of stuff often?

Well, to be fair (mild Infinity Blade 2 spoilers): You play that part as the tutorial of IB2

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah, I haven't read IB:A, but I would bet that a videogame tie-in novel that he wrote is not going to be indicative of his typical story structure.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So what video game tie in novel do we want him writing next? My vote is Max Payne 3. I want to see Brandon write something outside his fantasy comfort zone. He could tell the story after the second game that leads into the third.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

thecallahan posted:

What was the avalanche in Kings? The only thing I can think of is at the very end you learn who the Parshendi really are/were and I guess Szeth's master. anything else I thought was rather blatantly shown earlier

The Avalance isn't any single revelation but a combination of the build-up and twists that take place at a single clearly defined climax point.

In Kings that would be where the 3 primary characters make their last big decisions and everything heads to climax: Dalinar decides to trust whats-his-face, Kaladin is learning how to Surgebind, etc.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Skapegoat posted:

Well, to be fair (mild Infinity Blade 2 spoilers): You play that part as the tutorial of IB2

Yeah, but that doesn't make it cool to excuse it from the book just because a person who plays the second game will eventually see it.

I'll probably pick up one of the Mistborn books when I get a chance, because I really do wanna give this guy a proper shot.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

thecallahan posted:

I didn't see coming: Jasnah soul-casts without a soul-caster (and that soul-casting is a natural ability not from a device) and that the priest dude was an assassin.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I didn't see coming: Jasnah soul-casts without a soul-caster (and that soul-casting is a natural ability not from a device) and that the priest dude was an assassin.

Also surprising for me: That Shallan owns a shardblade. And killed her father.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Decius posted:

I caught that one ahead of time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I caught that one ahead of time.

Yeah, its surprising how he sneaked this revalation into the book so early on, yet most aren't paying attention to it, myself included. Its like a magician's sleight of hand.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Decius posted:

It does make it a bit odd that she's concerned enough about her family's financial future to attempt to rob from royalty but never considers hawking the priceless sword. It'd be risky sure, but compared to robbing the princess it seems like a decent option to at least consider

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

It does make it a bit odd that she's concerned enough about her family's financial future to attempt to rob from royalty but never considers hawking the priceless sword. It'd be risky sure, but compared to robbing the princess it seems like a decent option to at least consider
I'm pretty sure that no one knows she killed her father and the shardblade would have been a pretty big giveaway.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Way of Kings spoilage:

Plus, a person without a lot of resources and protection saying they have a shardblade for sale is probably a death sentence. The powers that be would be in a race to assassinate her and steal it first, rather than trying to outbid each other. But when she tries to steal from someone, she has the Shardblade as an ace up her sleeve if things go south, though it's still dangerous. Plus if she is successful she is rich AND has a Shardblade.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Metropolis posted:

Way of Kings spoilage:

Plus, a person without a lot of resources and protection saying they have a shardblade for sale is probably a death sentence. The powers that be would be in a race to assassinate her and steal it first, rather than trying to outbid each other. But when she tries to steal from someone, she has the Shardblade as an ace up her sleeve if things go south, though it's still dangerous. Plus if she is successful she is rich AND has a Shardblade.
I don't think that last part is really relevant, she doesn't seem like she really want to keep it, it's just that getting rid of it has its own problems.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Decius posted:

Crap.. I didn't even pick that up and I've finished it! I remember that she killed her father, but when is it revealed she owns a shard blade?!

When was it revealed early on? I don't remember any of this.. and that she wants to get rid of it?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Crap.. I didn't even pick that up and I've finished it! I remember that she killed her father, but when is it revealed she owns a shard blade?!

When was it revealed early on? I don't remember any of this.. and that she wants to get rid of it?
She thought about using it on the letterheads when she locked herself in the room (even then it wasn't stated outright). There were earlier scenes referencing it I think, I just can't recall what they are right now she thought about it after the fact when Shallan murderized those dudes in the alley. There's no indication that she really wants to get rid off it, it's just that she doesn't like to think about it (given that she didn't even consider using it during the alley incident), and there's the obvious fact that it's a secret (which is tied to her father's death).

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Been a bit since I've read this, but I do not believe its said outright. She doesn't say anything by name iirc. The key to remember is How its summoned. I believe maybe twice? she talks about the 10 heartbeat thing.

Really need to go about Rereading this again after I finish my current book.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Relevant to thread: have a Sanderson character named to order.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

MisterFuzzles posted:

Been a bit since I've read this, but I do not believe its said outright. She doesn't say anything by name iirc. The key to remember is How its summoned. I believe maybe twice? she talks about the 10 heartbeat thing.

Really need to go about Rereading this again after I finish my current book.

I checked,it was before Shallan was even accepted as Jasnah's ward. She had a flashback when she went to the Palanauem. "Memories attacked her. Nan Balat bruised, his coat torn. A long silvery sword in her hand, sharp enough to cut stones as if they were water."
Also when panicked by the symbolheads, "She began the process anyway. Ten heartbeats, to bring forth the fruit of her sin, the proceeds of her most horrific act."

I guess most of us just dismissed it? The first one was already a giveaway, theres only one kind of sword that cuts stone like water.

EDIT: Wasn't Shallan's Soulcaster broken in the same event that killed her father? I think we might have the reason why it can't be repaired here.
EDIT2: Oh there it is
Shallan fished in the safepouch inside her sleeve, bringing out her father's broken Soulcaster. It had been sheared in two places, across one of the chains and through the setting that held one of the stones. ... The link in the chain had been replaced perfectly and the setting reforged equally well. Even knowing exactly where the cuts had been, she couldn't find any flaw. Unfortunately, repairing only the outward defects hadn't made it functional.

veekie fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 10, 2011

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I actually picked up on the whole shardblade thing right away, but I guess didn't pay it any attention because I never saw an area of the plot where it would have been that useful. I'm sure we'll be seeing it in the next book or two though.

Or tenth, knowing Sanderson.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Her role would probably be to deliver the shardblade to the people over at the warcamps who happen to be short one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

veekie posted:

Her role would probably be to deliver the shardblade to the people over at the warcamps who happen to be short one.

That's a bit too obvious. I'm betting that, since she's attached to the foremost researcher in the world, she'll discover how they're somehow far more than they seem.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ConfusedUs posted:

That's a bit too obvious. I'm betting that, since she's attached to the foremost researcher in the world, she'll discover how they're somehow far more than they seem.

Yeah, there's gotta be something more to Syl not liking them.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

ConfusedUs posted:

Or there will be a conflict between Jasnah and Shallan because Jasnah wants to unlock the secrets of the Monado. Sorry, wrong seriesthe shardblades and give them en masse to her country's soldiers, and Shallan thinks it will lead to an evil empire dominating the world. Kinda like the Einstein A-bomb situation.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BananaNutkins posted:

Or there will be a conflict between Jasnah and Shallan because Jasnah wants to unlock the secrets of the Monado. Sorry, wrong seriesthe shardblades and give them en masse to her country's soldiers, and Shallan thinks it will lead to an evil empire dominating the world. Kinda like the Einstein A-bomb situation.

Well, there's already a country who came up with a way to replicate shardplate and shields, albeit imperfectly.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

There's indications that there is an afterlife of some sort in the Sanderson multiverse, and in Roshar at least, part of that involves some sort of hell analog.

Szeth thinking that he's going to hell, whatever it is that happens to the heralds, and what Dalinar was told by the female knight in his vision all point to that. I'm guessing the shardblades are tied to that somehow.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Shadesmar is the plane of existence that ties all the worlds together. Supposedly the Worldsingers (Hoid) use it to cross back and forth through the different books. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that "hell" is located there.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Cartoon Man posted:

The Shadesmar is the plane of existence that ties all the worlds together. Supposedly the Worldsingers (Hoid) use it to cross back and forth through the different books. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that "hell" is located there.

According to nerds that are FAR nerdier than us, there's probably a difference between Shadesmar and any sort of "afterlife".

http://coppermind.17thshard.com/wiki/Cognitive_Realm

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, there's gotta be something more to Syl not liking them.

This part really confused me, because in the flashbacks shardblades were the Knights Radiant's defining weapon. They were bigger back then though. Maybe Syl didn't like that a non-Radiant was holding one? Or maybe they've been corrupted over the years?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

This part really confused me, because in the flashbacks shardblades were the Knights Radiant's defining weapon. They were bigger back then though. Maybe Syl didn't like that a non-Radiant was holding one? Or maybe they've been corrupted over the years?
The knight in Dalinar's flashback specifically said that fighting was not a good thing (regardless of the reason), and then we have the flashback with the knights giving up their weapons.

I'm guessing that the metaphysical makeup of a particular world is determined by the god(s) on that world, I mean, it didn't look like Sazed chucked Elend and Vin into some sort of hell. If that's the case and I can see a compromise between Cultivation (fanatically anti-violence) and Odium (presumably a dude that hates everyone), resulting in some sort of not-so-great afterlife for certain types of people.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

keiran_helcyan posted:

Given that Syl is Honorspren and the way most of those blades have been used in anything BUT honorable acts, they probably stink to high heaven for her.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
There IS a difference between the Dawnshards and the Shardblades as well, apparently.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

arioch posted:

There IS a difference between the Dawnshards and the Shardblades as well, apparently.
That was mentioned in the prologue, so yeah.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I think I'm going to have to read WoK again after seeing all this discussion. I don't remember anything except the over-arching plot. I'll look forward to the spren researcher chapter, though, I liked that guy. :)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I found that it was a much more enjoyable read on the second go around than the first. Especially when you realize who is writing the letter during the chapter bumps of the second act. Hoid

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

I know it's not really him.

Maytag fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 12, 2011

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Thankfully, that wasn't Sanderson himself: http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/n95w1/this_book_is_pretty_good/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Cartoon Man posted:

What does that say in the upper left? Expanse of the densities?