Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

E.T. is the best Jesus movie.

Robocop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
You're all wrong. The best Jesus movie is the Big Lebowski.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The Matrix. :colbert:

SLAVOMACEDONIAN
Jul 30, 2011

penismightier posted:

E.T. is the best Jesus movie.

Stop trying guys. The best has already been mentioned.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So, I made a Criterion profile.

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/62033-brentgaines

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I finally got around to watching that blu ray of Pierrot le Fou I bought off of Amazon and discovered that the disc freezes up about an hour into the movie. Any idea what I should do?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Dangerous Person posted:

I finally got around to watching that blu ray of Pierrot le Fou I bought off of Amazon and discovered that the disc freezes up about an hour into the movie. Any idea what I should do?

It could be a firmware issue with your player and not the disc, I had a problem with The Seventh Seal a few years ago where my player would freeze up at the same point on both discs I tried.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

182 Criterions. Yeah, I may have a problem. :psyduck:

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/47237-macramegod

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
67, more than I thought but I'm sure it will grow during the next big sale.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I might as well add myself into this conversation - I'm at 92 Criterion films. I'm thinking The Great Dictator is the next one on my list.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

friendo55 posted:

I might as well add myself into this conversation - I'm at 92 Criterion films. I'm thinking The Great Dictator is the next one on my list.

Considering your tastes it looks like Ace in the Hole should rocket to the top of your list. Because it owns bones.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I own one Criterion:

http://www.criterion.com/films/377-sisters

I just don't buy any DVDs really.

:ninja:

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
I've got 95 http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/44985-sjhuggard
Considering that I only buy them used or on sale, figure an average of $25 per title, the total cost comes to $2,375.
So that's where all of my money went.

I've almost hit the point where I own more Criterion movies than non-Criterion.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Only 34, but I have a handful of rare ones including The Killer and Hard Boiled.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I've got 48: http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/27524-leonora

I feel bad not owning the rest of their De Sica releases but my mom has them and I just borrow hers when the mood strikes.

I used to keep my collection in a spreadsheet and this is much nicer. I'll have to port over my wishlist at some point too...

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Zogo posted:

I own one Criterion:

http://www.criterion.com/films/377-sisters

I just don't buy any DVDs really.

:ninja:

Yeah, I only own Solaris, and that's because I was too dumb back then to get a NetFlix account. I think at this point I've rented or streamed over 70 though (and I'm counting a few that technically are out of print with Criterion but available through other studies, like The Killer). I've seen a few on 35 mm too at film festivals, and I think those were original (rather than re-releases by Criterion - does Criterion even sell or deal with cellulose film for movies they have the rights to?).

Also, motherfuckin' Ran is my favorite Kurosawa flick (and I've seen a lot of them). Dodes'ka-den doesn't get enough love either.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 13, 2011

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Pfirti86 posted:

I've seen a few on 35 mm too at film festivals, and I think those were original (rather than re-releases by Criterion - does Criterion even sell or deal with cellulose film for movies they have the rights to?).

I think Janus Films does, but they might just act as a distributor.

My collection's pretty small compared to everybody else's here (it's pretty heavy on Kurosawa, too). There's a bunch more that I've seen over the years, but I don't really want to add ones I don't actually own.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Pfirti86 posted:

Also, motherfuckin' Ran is my favorite Kurosawa flick (and I've seen a lot of them). Dodes'ka-den doesn't get enough love either.

I agree with both of these statements. The color stuff is just more appealing to me (not to say the B&W work is terrible or anything).

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I agree with both of these statements. The color stuff is just more appealing to me (not to say the B&W work is terrible or anything).

I'm guessing I'm one of the few who prefers Kagemusha over Ran, but I find the historical context more interesting.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

McNutty posted:

Considering your tastes it looks like Ace in the Hole should rocket to the top of your list. Because it owns bones.

It's hard for me to purchase a criterion DVD with the fear that it's going to be re-released on blu - namely In The Mood For Love and Ace in the Hole. But definitely it's one I need to own - appreciate the recommendation!

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Newsletter clue:

Monte Hellman's Cockfighter??

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
If there is a just god, yes.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Perhaps it is Charlie Chaplin as a giant chicken

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Ernest Pintoff's immortal Dynamite Chicken (1971), marking the first collaboration between Criterion and the staff of Screw magazine.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Criterion sent out a clue on their Twitter feed last night that points to "A Night to Remember" getting an upgrade.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

CriterionCast just tweeted: "A Night To Remember, Last Temptation Of Christ, Letter Never Sent, War Room, Lean / Coward Box"

LETTER NEVER SENT!!! If this is true, I'm overjoyed!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FFD, I've heard of that film a lot but don't really know much of it. Please tell me about it, if you're this excited it must be good.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
War Room as in the documentary about Clinton's campaign or am I blanking on something else?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i am not so sure posted:

FFD, I've heard of that film a lot but don't really know much of it. Please tell me about it, if you're this excited it must be good.

Here's my old review:

quote:

This is third Kalatozov film I've seen with Urusevsky as the cinematographer. Like their other collaborations, the highlight is the mind-blowing photography. Shot after shot after shot is magnificent, impressive, beautiful and perfect. The story is about four geologists on a diamond hunting expedition in Siberia who find themselves in a desperate struggle for survival. The leader is composing a letter to his sweetheart back home. It doesn't have the emotional impact of The Cranes Are Flying (whose star, Tatyana Samojlova, is here again, looking radiant as ever), but it's a gripping, pulse-pounding tale. It's also thankfully pretty light on the propoganda, unlike Kalatozov's most famous movie I Am Cuba. Chalk up one more masterpiece whose absence on DVD is a crime. Criterion, Kino, somebody... get to work. Rating: 9

My prayers were answered! (although a few years late)

leokitty posted:

War Room as in the documentary about Clinton's campaign or am I blanking on something else?

I thought they might have slipped up and meant The War Game, but a Pennebaker seems reasonable.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

i am not so sure posted:

Visually stunning melodrama with a lot of impressive outdoor location shooting. If you've seen The Cranes Are Flying (Kalatozov's best-known film) you have a pretty good idea what to expect. If you're not already familiar with Kalatozov, about the closest comparison I could think of is maybe Malick's Days of Heaven (1978)---another film that's so heavily invested in its visuals (and in particular landscapes) that what the characters are doing almost becomes forgettable.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Holy loving poo poo yes. I just watched it last month and it is a phenomenal film. Everyone buy it. Don't even think. Just buy.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I didn't know it was by Kalatozov, a director I have been meaning to get into. I love Tarkovsky and non-Tree of Life Malick so I think I would love his films. Awesome.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It's kinda like those except way more manic and kinetic.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's kinda like those except way more manic and kinetic.

Criterion has a release of The Cranes are Flying but I only really collect Blu-Rays or new-logo Criterions, and I'd suspect TCAF will at some point get an upgrade, so I'll wait for that. But my friends have Hulu and I plan on watching it soon that way.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

CriterionCast just tweeted: "A Night To Remember, Last Temptation Of Christ, Letter Never Sent, War Room, Lean / Coward Box"

LETTER NEVER SENT!!! If this is true, I'm overjoyed!

e:

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 15, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I saw the Lean one on the Brief Encounter page, where'd you get the other two?

Not digging those covers.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

I saw the Lean one on the Brief Encounter page, where'd you get the other two?

They're in the cloud. I'm not crazy about the covers either. To be fair, the only thing that would convince me to buy the War Room would be a commentary track by Bill Hader in character as James Carville. (It could happen!)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

They're the style of cover they were doing in like '05, '06.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#7 - A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (BR/2-disc DVD, March 27)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall, author and illustrator of “Titanic:” An Illustrated History
•The Making of “A Night to Remember” (1993), a sixty-minute documentary featuring William MacQuitty’s rare behind-the-scenes footage
•Archival interview with Titanic survivor Eva Hart
•En natt att minas, a forty-five-minute Swedish documentary from 1962 featuring interviews with Titanic survivors
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Sragow

#70 - THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST (BR, March 13)

Blu-Ray upgrade

#601 - LETTER NEVER SENT (BR/DVD, March 20)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dina Iordanova

#602 - THE WAR ROOM (BR/DVD, March 20)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by directors D. A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Return of the War Room, a 2008 documentary in which advisers James Carville, George Stephanopoulos, and Paul Begala and others reflect on the effect the Clinton war room had on the way campaigns are run
•Making “The War Room,” a conversation between the filmmakers about the difficulties of shooting in the campaign’s fast-paced environment
•Panel discussion hosted by the William J. Clinton Foundation and featuring Carville, Clinton adviser Vernon Jordan, journalist Ron Brownstein, and surprise guest Bill Clinton
•Interview with strategist Stanley Greenberg on the increasing importance of polling
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by writer Louis Menand

#603: DAVID LEAN DIRECTS NOEL COWARD (4-disc BR/DVD, March 27)

•New high-definition digital transfers of the BFI National Archive’s 2008 restorations, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray editions
•Audio commentary on Brief Encounter by film historian Bruce Eder
•New interviews with Noël Coward scholar Barry Day on all of the films
•Interview with cinematographer-screenwriter-producer Ronald Neame from 2010
•Short documentaries from 2000 on the making of In Which We Serve and Brief Encounter
•David Lean: A Self Portrait, a 1971 television documentary on Lean’s career
•Episode of the British television series The Southbank Show from 1992 on the life and career of Coward
•Audio recording of a 1969 conversation between Richard Attenborough and Coward at London’s National Film Theatre
•Trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Ian Christie, Terrence Rafferty, Farran Nehne, Geoffrey O’Brien, and Kevin Brownlow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My take:

A Night to Remember - It's good but I have no need to see it again, not too interested in the new extras either. Pass.

Last Temptation - It's good but I have no need to see it again. Pass.

Letter Never Sent - Definitely buying it... but completely bare-bones? :(

The War Room - Sounds like a one-time watch to me. Rental.

Lean/Coward - Rental, maybe buy down the road. Only seen Brief Encounter.

At least I got one my long-desired titles, but the lack of extras is disheartening.