Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I keep noticing people saying "how you look like" instead of "how you look" or "what you look like".

Is this a new thing? Does it come from a particular place? It sounds incredibly wrong to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What is the name of the PC game that is like Super Meat Boy? It is pretty similar with Nintendo level graphics.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

TLG James posted:

What is the name of the PC game that is like Super Meat Boy? It is pretty similar with Nintendo level graphics.

You're gonna have to be a lot more precise than that. Like Super Meat Boy in what ways? Do you mean the original Meat Boy?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TLG James posted:

There are a couple of these. The Flash game N from a few years ago. VVVVVV. I Wanna Be The Guy.

There's a game called The Binding of Isaac that looks superficially like Meat Boy but is a totally different style of game.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Ah well crap. All I know is in the first level you are going down through each passage way and there are timed spike walls that rush at you are super fast speeds and then back up slowly. Its like seriously a 3 meg .exe file on computers.

edit:

It's I wanna be the guy.

Thanks

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TLG James posted:

Ah well crap. All I know is in the first level you are going down through each passage way and there are timed spike walls that rush at you are super fast speeds and then back up slowly. Its like seriously a 3 meg .exe file on computers.

edit:

It's I wanna be the guy.

Thanks

Not sure how far you've gotten, but if I remember correctly, you don't have to deal with the spikes at all.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Disclaimer: NOT a math guy.

However, my bosses and I were trying to figure out what the name is for the process of 1+2+3+4+5....

We both remember seeing it in math books. It's got a name like Fibonacci but, obviously not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

However, my bosses and I were trying to figure out what the name is for the process of 1+2+3+4+5....

We both remember seeing it in math books. It's got a name like Fibonacci but, obviously not.

Arithmetic series.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

There are lots of things you might be asking for, and I'm not sure which is the right one.

The sum of the first n counting numbers is called a "triangular number". 1,2,3,4,… is an example of an "arithmetic sequence/progression", and when you sum them you have an "arithmetic series" (beaten on this one). There's also a famous story about Gauss's childhood in which he supposedly was made to sum 1+…+100 as punishment, and did it very quickly.

Maybe none of these were what you were looking for (edit: e.g. see stubblyhead's reply below mine), I'm not sure. For future reference, small math questions can go in the small math questions thread in Science, Academics and Languages.

dirby fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 13, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_%E2%80%A6

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

I feel like this is it. Will run it by the boss and see if they agree.

Thanks!

And double thanks for the correct threads for next time we stump ourselves over beer.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

edit: efb

Sounds calculating triangular number.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_number

You also might be thinking of factorials which are things like 5! = 1*2*3*4*5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorial

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Any Amsterdam residents ITT? I'm looking for the name of a sandwich and quiche restaurant/cafe on Warmoesstraat next to Metropolitan Deli. Google street view gets close, then stops just before I can see it, darn it.

My wife and I are trying to outline the places we went and loved on our honeymoon this summer and we can't remember the name of the place.

Thanks in advance!

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
My laptop fan is getting pretty loud, is it a good idea to take my laptop to some computer repair centre (maybe Best Buy) so they can clean out the dust?

I would try to do it myself but I don't have small enough screwdrivers or compressed air at the moment. Plus when I opened it that one time I had no idea what I was doing. Before that, my old desktop stopped working after I tried cleaning the fans.

I'm not even sure if it's the dust that's making the fan loud, the fan might need replacing altogether. So will the computer repair centre help me out?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

TremendousMajestic posted:

Any Amsterdam residents ITT?
I'd try asking in Tourism & Travel in either the Europe thread and/or the Holland thread.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

It's been really cold in my bedroom at night and especially early in the morning this winter. Do those 3M window insulating films you can apply to a window yourself actually make much of a difference? I'm trying to find reasonably inexpensive ways to improve things since I can't stay in bed under the blankets all the time and I may be moving soon.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

My laptop fan is getting pretty loud, is it a good idea to take my laptop to some computer repair centre (maybe Best Buy) so they can clean out the dust?

I would try to do it myself but I don't have small enough screwdrivers or compressed air at the moment. Plus when I opened it that one time I had no idea what I was doing. Before that, my old desktop stopped working after I tried cleaning the fans.

I'm not even sure if it's the dust that's making the fan loud, the fan might need replacing altogether. So will the computer repair centre help me out?

Is the laptop still under warranty? That might be your best bet, but of course you have to deal with sending it back to the manufacturer so that could be a pain in the rear end if you have to spring for shipping and all that.

I wouldn't take it to Best Buy - Geek Squad isn't exactly known for quality support. Maybe find a well-reviewed independent laptop repair shop on Yelp or something. They'll probably be more likely to know what to do with it since they deal with laptops all the time.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 14, 2011

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Encryptic posted:

It's been really cold in my bedroom at night and especially early in the morning this winter. Do those 3M window insulating films you can apply to a window yourself actually make much of a difference? I'm trying to find reasonably inexpensive ways to improve things since I can't stay in bed under the blankets all the time and I may be moving soon.

They cut my energy bill (which is 90% heating) by like 25% last winter. How warm it gets still depends on how warm you have your furnace heat it, but it'll help keep it from cooling quite as fast.

Also: slippers and a good warm robe do wonders. It's how I'm usually pretty comfortable with a thermostat set at 60-65 (with a generally cooler house given how poorly insulated it is, being ancient)

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

helopticor posted:

I'd try asking in Tourism & Travel in either the Europe thread and/or the Holland thread.

Thanks!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Google desktop was discontinued recently. What is a good desktop search thing?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dokmo posted:

Google desktop was discontinued recently. What is a good desktop search thing?

Are you using Windows 7? The built-in search is just as good.

And if you're using Windows XP please use Windows 7.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I recently moved, bought a new TV, and hooked up the cable/dvd player/coupla game consoles into a switcher. When playing a DVD, I noticed that one of the audio channels would buzz. Fiddling with the red connection from the switcher to TV had unverifiable results, so I just disconnected it. Where should I ask this question? Is there a relatively simple way to find out if it's an AV cable problem or if it's some grounding-related thing?
(This is in Japan, all hardware is from Japan.) Huge thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
I moved into an apartment, how should I write it on my driver's license? APT# 5000, APT # 5000, APT NO. 5000, APT 5000? I don't think it matters.. :sigh:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I always use the spartan USPS style of writing addresses: APT 5000

They know it's a number, you don't need to tell them.

(And, based on this principle, U.S. addresses never ever need more than one line to be written. I mean the address portion itself, not including city/state/zip. Giving people two lines in web forms is coddling them! "Line 2" is worthless, just put it in line 1 like you should anyway!)

Golbez fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 14, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
You could trim the whole address down even further with
5000-99 Pine St

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Pweller posted:

You could trim the whole address down even further with
5000-99 Pine St

Sure, if we were Canadian.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Golbez posted:

I always use the spartan USPS style of writing addresses: APT 5000

They know it's a number, you don't need to tell them.

(And, based on this principle, U.S. addresses never ever need more than one line to be written. I mean the address portion itself, not including city/state/zip. Giving people two lines in web forms is coddling them! "Line 2" is worthless, just put it in line 1 like you should anyway!)

Entertainingly, the USPS both agrees and disagrees with you!

The suite/apartment/box information SHOULD go on the same line as the street address...

...BUT there's still a use for Line 2: if you're sending a letter or package to intended recipient A via actual resident B, the address gets bumped down a line. Addresses on mail are supposed to look like this:

Information/Attention
Recipient/Company Name
Address (incl. box/suit/apt)
City/State/ZIP
(Country if international)

So in the case where you have to send something to someone other than the intended recipient, Line 1 on the web form is for the actual recipient, and Line 2 is for the address:

Steve Smith
c/o Bob Parson
1234 Main St. Suite 7-270
Antiville, NY 56789

:eng101:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Well, yes, for a company name or a care of, the second line makes sense - but still, the address is one line. :) Good point, though, I suppose that is a necessary time to have two lines in a web form...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Black Noise posted:

what kind of dog is this

Looks like there's a bit of spaniel in it. Try Pet Island; they love the doggies down there.

Mononymous
Mar 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I recently watched a "humorous" internet video made by some British kids that was a parody of Jackass, but instead of doing stunts, they performed small feats that would make normal people only slightly put-off. Amongst these was drinking tea without milk.

I'm American and I enjoy drinking Earl Grey and English Breakfast tea without milk, but came to it on my own rather than culturally. My mother is English and has always put milk in her tea, but I find it unnecessary and often distracting of what I consider the pleasant natural flavors of the tea. Is it really considered "gross" over there to not put milk in your tea?

It's not considered gross, but milk use is so ubiquitous that sometimes if I tell someone I don't want milk I get it anyway because of some freaky milk-giving muscle memory.

I've never met anyone who had milk in anything but breakfast tea/builder's tea/'tea'. Also the Tetley/PG type stuff that people in Britain usually drink tastes like piss if you don't have milk in it.

edit for accidentally pressing the post button.

Mononymous fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 14, 2011

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
In Gmail, I want to create a filter so that if I send and email to OR receive an email from a given address, say johndoe@gmail.com, the email has a particular label applied to it. Right now if I enter johndoe@gmail.com in the FROM and TO fields of the filter, messages seem to get filtered only if they were both from AND to johndoe@gmail.com, not if they were either from OR to johndoe@gmail.com. The only way I can see of accomplishing what I want is to create two separate filters, one for incoming mail FROM johndoe@gmail.com and one for outgoing mail TO johndoe@gmail.com.

I am convinced that there must be a way to have one single filter do both. Thoughts?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Where did the new Humble Bundle 4 thread go? Searching for it brings up nothing, but I swear I read it earlier today on my phone.

EDIT: /\/\/\

Jose Cuervo posted:

In Gmail, I want to create a filter so that if I send and email to OR receive an email from a given address, say johndoe@gmail.com, the email has a particular label applied to it. Right now if I enter johndoe@gmail.com in the FROM and TO fields of the filter, messages seem to get filtered only if they were both from AND to johndoe@gmail.com, not if they were either from OR to johndoe@gmail.com. The only way I can see of accomplishing what I want is to create two separate filters, one for incoming mail FROM johndoe@gmail.com and one for outgoing mail TO johndoe@gmail.com.

I am convinced that there must be a way to have one single filter do both. Thoughts?

I'm not sure about your case, but check out this link which goes in depth explaining what you can do with GMail filters:
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/20-ways-to-use-gmail-filters.html

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 14, 2011

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

FLX posted:

Where did the new Humble Bundle 4 thread go?

I didn't see it, but there's a general bundle thread in Games.

Edit: Actually that looks like it's just an indie royale thread? I thought I saw a post about Humble Bundle 4 in some thread…

Edit2: Ah, someone posted it in the video game deals thread.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

helopticor posted:

I didn't see it, but there's a general bundle thread in Games.

Edit: Actually that looks like it's just an indie royale thread? I thought I saw a post about Humble Bundle 4 in some thread…

Edit2: Ah, someone posted it in the video game deals thread.

It reappeared again:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455018

It still doesn't seem to show up in search results though. Weird.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Where can I find some of those small cheap black winter gloves with grips on them? They're fairly warm, nothing special but I really want the grips. Searching for winter gloves I can only find the small black ones without grips and searching for dot grip gloves just give me work gloves as a result.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

It may be dust or whatever in the fan or blocked ducts causing overheating but it may just be that you have something running (misbehaving app/virus/malware/etc) that is causing the CPU to run high/hot constantly.

These guys can be helpful in diagnosing from the keyboard as much as possible.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Jaros posted:

Where can I find some of those small cheap black winter gloves with grips on them? They're fairly warm, nothing special but I really want the grips. Searching for winter gloves I can only find the small black ones without grips and searching for dot grip gloves just give me work gloves as a result.

I've seen these at like Target, grocery stores, drug stores, sometimes even convenience stores like 7-11. I don't know anywhere that'll 100% guaranteed have them, but if you're willing to stop at a few places, you can probably find some.

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone got married in a court? Can you tell me about your experience?

I've been thinking about marriage alot, and every time I do I always picture it in a court. I've talked to my mum about it, and she said a bride would never want it there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Need help with British slang. I'm reading He Died with His Eyes Open. One character describes son's behavoir: "all he thinks about is going off to Greece where he's layin this bit of local shirley temple."

I'm assuming it's having it's having sex or prostitution or something, but I haven't found any matches with cockney rhyming slang. What does it mean?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Danny Bro Pty Ltd posted:

Has anyone got married in a court? Can you tell me about your experience?

I've been thinking about marriage alot, and every time I do I always picture it in a court. I've talked to my mum about it, and she said a bride would never want it there.

My wife and I did. It was a very small ceremony. The judge said his spiel, told me to kiss her, and we was married. It's a pretty common thing here I think, because there were some people right before us and some people right after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Now that the Russians have doomed us with methane death clouds™, and that Earth's gravity is enough to prevent it from escaping, therefore creating a runaway greenhouse effect, I have to ask:

How much less would Earth's gravity need to be, for methane to escape into space? (ignoring the implications of losing precious hydrogen, and all that)

Also, carbon dioxide too, while I'm here.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 15, 2011