Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

dyzzy posted:

Praise the pun!

I can't take this... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I started a third run with a new character recently and I'm not sure how I'm gonna build my dude up. What are the advantages of a Dex run and what is some good gear to use? Also, did anyone find any advantage to wearing lighter armor when it's so easy to use heavy armor and still run around at full speed.

I just don't want to end up running around in gold hemmed/iron armor/zweihander/spear the whole time again.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 14, 2011

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kongming posted:

Darkroot Basin is pretty skippable but only because it has little of interest in it. I don't think any areas are worth skipping. Painted World is one of the best looking areas in the game. Many people skip upper Blighttown though I think it's worth doing at least once.

I guess I should mention Great Hollow and Ash Lake are not only skippable but that you can also go through the whole game and not realize they exist. Unless you are absolutely terrified of the prospect of being cursed they aren't too much trouble but they are in no way required, though you must go to Ash Lake to finish Seigmeyer's storyline.

Darkroot Basin has the quick and sleazy path to Undead Burg (and Havel dong sword), Grass Crest Shield(Endurance Recharge shield), a Black Knight, Dragon Scale(s)(Hydra), little bug that drops slabs of something or other, Longbow and full suit of leather, an NPC that sells Sorcery spells after you free her, a back path into Valley of Drakes AND a super secret back path that circumvents the 20,000 Soul locked door which leads you to a full set of Stone Armour, Forest Hunter Covenant, Enchanted Ember, Eastern Armour Set, Hornet Ring, Bow of Pharis, Dark Wood Grain Ring(Flip Ring), AND a Boss Fight which you can happily do without spending 20k Souls if you go through Darkroot Basin.

Darkroot Basin is not exactly a place I would skip. :cop:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NuckmasterJ posted:

Darkroot Basin has the quick and sleazy path to Undead Burg (and Havel dong sword), Grass Crest Shield(Endurance Recharge shield), a Black Knight, Dragon Scale(s)(Hydra), little bug that drops slabs of something or other, Longbow and full suit of leather, an NPC that sells Sorcery spells after you free her, a back path into Valley of Drakes AND a super secret back path that circumvents the 20,000 Soul locked door which leads you to a full set of Stone Armour, Forest Hunter Covenant, Enchanted Ember, Eastern Armour Set, Hornet Ring, Bow of Pharis, Dark Wood Grain Ring(Flip Ring), AND a Boss Fight which you can happily do without spending 20k Souls if you go through Darkroot Basin.

Don't forget a pretty princess dress with a head piece that boosts sorcery/pyromancy by a whopping 20%!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was pretty amazed when I watched a guy's stream who managed to get up to SL80 and clear most of the bosses but didn't have a grass crest shield because he never went into darkroot basin at all. I mean some zones are kind of missable but it's right there and full of stuff and very few enemies.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

NuckmasterJ posted:

Honestly, I'd say save Darkroot Basin for about, oh, ten levels later. poo poo can and will wreck you if you go there right away.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well yea, you got me there. You need a few levels under your belt but as long as you have the poise to block the Hydra its all gravy. Well and the Black Knight who gave me his shield and sword at once.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Actually knowing how the game works this time through and abusing the crit rating on the bandit knife is hilarious. I remembered I had meant to go kill the black knights in the burg and two backstabs dropped each of them. Easy peasy. Didn't get my green shard, I got turned around in NLR and mobbed by a million ghosts. I'll probably go to Blighttown for it instead.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

For everyone who's a fan of PvP, the best taunt after winning is hands down the Channeler's Trident Dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgCqg0NRFY

Your guy just look so goddamn happy. He even clicks his heels together.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Requested_Username posted:

For everyone who's a fan of PvP, the best taunt after winning is hands down the Channeler's Trident Dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgCqg0NRFY

Your guy just look so goddamn happy. He even clicks his heels together.
I know the trident is a rare drop, but how can I score this emote???

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Feenix posted:

I know the trident is a rare drop, but how can I score this emote???

It's the two handed strong "attack" of the Trident, and isn't an actual gesture at all.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Schwartzcough posted:

It's the two handed strong "attack" of the Trident, and isn't an actual gesture at all.
OHNOOOooooo!

Hey so I went to great Hollow, quit and restart everywhere there where Crystal Lizards and didn't get a Titanite Slab. Is there one specific Lizard that drops it and where if so?

I really need it. :)

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

Hey so I went to great Hollow, quit and restart everywhere there where Crystal Lizards and didn't get a Titanite Slab. Is there one specific Lizard that drops it and where if so?

I really need it. :)

If you have killed all nine and one hasn't been dropped I'm afraid that's it. The only option left is the Siegmeyer questline or grinding out Darkwraiths in New Londo with a very low drop rate.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The wiki lists 10, though? What I'm
Curious about is if the slab is a guaranteed drop and always from the same lizard? Maybe I missed one?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Holy crap! I actually say a dragon Covenant eye on the ground. It's kind of amazing in the fact that I have to choose to summon him? That's all sorts of dumb. I would in a better spot than freaking blighttown. What was that guy thinking?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

NESguerilla posted:

I started a third run with a new character recently and I'm not sure how I'm gonna build my dude up. What are the advantages of a Dex run and what is some good gear to use? Also, did anyone find any advantage to wearing lighter armor when it's so easy to use heavy armor and still run around at full speed.

I just don't want to end up running around in gold hemmed/iron armor/zweihander/spear the whole time again.

I too am in this position right now, I just picked up drake sword and was like "Do I really need this?" So my plan now is to go: Winged Spear(upgraded > Lightning Spear > End game weap(iaito, uchi, lifehunt(pve and pvp greatness)

As for the lighter armor, it helps if you want the fast roll without using the ninja ring and then taking that ring slot and use it for something more useful. My plan is to have it to where I'm not constantly running around with RoFP and Darkwood Grain ring on like... all of the time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zain posted:

Holy crap! I actually say a dragon Covenant eye on the ground. It's kind of amazing in the fact that I have to choose to summon him? That's all sorts of dumb. I would in a better spot than freaking blighttown. What was that guy thinking?

"Goddamn, I'd love to have a dragon duel" perhaps? That said, is there any popular dragon duel hotspot in the game so far?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Feenix posted:

The wiki lists 10, though? What I'm
Curious about is if the slab is a guaranteed drop and always from the same lizard? Maybe I missed one?

It's not. it's a rare drop off the Lizards or the Darkwraiths. A very rare drop. There are two guarneteed slabs pre game. One from the Stray Demon, and one from Seighilde, that's it.

gravyflood posted:

"Goddamn, I'd love to have a dragon duel" perhaps? That said, is there any popular dragon duel hotspot in the game so far?
Like everything else for arranged PvP, The Kiln.

Although I also had some luck with the last room of The Depths at around level 30. Lots of Red Soapstone and Dragon Eye signs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

gravyflood posted:

Wiki said just outside the bonfire by the Crest of Artorias door in Darkroot. I had no luck but I only tried one night, or the Wiki could be dated info...

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

NESguerilla posted:

I honestly can't think of any advantages that light armor has over heavy, other than allowing heavier weapons/shields for your endurance level, or resistances for particular sets. Unless you are trying to run around at 25% equip, but do you really want to do that for a whole game...? Armor is not affected by str or dex anyway; it's endurance-based.

There are no advantages to a dex character over a str character. It's just a different set of weapon choices, really, that aren't that particularly different...most weapons really don't have a very high dex requirement. Silver knight sword and spear are pretty good until you get the very large ember, and they have a requirement of 22. Ialto, Ricard's rapier, Priscilla's dagger are 20. Dragonslayer spear is 24. Everything else is a weapon that you probably would have raised your dex to anyway on a str character, because black knight equips at 18.

It just comes down to the scaling you want to take advantage of

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So earlier, while trying to get summoned to help people with Capra Demon, I invaded as a red phantom...how did the other guy do this? I thought that red eye stones and red soapstones required ME to find their sign and have them invade me...how does someone, without my consent, turn me into a red phantom?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

That happens occasionally. It's some sort of glitch in the network or something. I was invading in Kiln and ended up being sent to someone's world as a white phantom.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

So earlier, while trying to get summoned to help people with Capra Demon, I invaded as a red phantom...how did the other guy do this? I thought that red eye stones and red soapstones required ME to find their sign and have them invade me...how does someone, without my consent, turn me into a red phantom?

You tried attacking a mob before you fully realized, and boy, was your face red? :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Darkwood Grain Ring really is that good. Everyone should have one. If you can quick roll (<25% encumbrance) you can get away with not using it because the quick roll has its own uses, although the flip is way better at evading attacks. You don't really get that much out of picking quick roll over flip aside from I guess being able to play with something like Wolf Ring + Hornet Ring or something.

buzzsaw.gif posted:

I honestly can't think of any advantages that light armor has over heavy, other than allowing heavier weapons/shields for your endurance level, or resistances for particular sets. Unless you are trying to run around at 25% equip, but do you really want to do that for a whole game...? Armor is not affected by str or dex anyway; it's endurance-based.

There are no advantages to a dex character over a str character. It's just a different set of weapon choices, really, that aren't that particularly different...most weapons really don't have a very high dex requirement. Silver knight sword and spear are pretty good until you get the very large ember, and they have a requirement of 22. Ialto, Ricard's rapier, Priscilla's dagger are 20. Dragonslayer spear is 24. Everything else is a weapon that you probably would have raised your dex to anyway on a str character, because black knight equips at 18.

Light armor is mostly there so you can run low encumbrance or desire high magic resists for the weight.

As for dex vs strength, a big difference is that high strength weapons tend to be very slow and heavy, aside from the BKGA. While the difference in playstyle of slow and fast weapons is pretty obvious, the weight difference can be huge. There's a 14.5 weight difference between a Rapier and a Black Knight Great Axe, for example, and this can affect how much poise and/or defense you can have as well as your potential ring setup.

If you're pumping STR or DEX you're going for scaling weapons which means you're basically picking between slow and hard hitting versus fast and weaker hitting. If you're only increasing a stat so you can wield a weapon and then putting a lightning enchanton it you're not a STR or DEX build anyway.

Black Frost
Jul 27, 2011

I'm Black Frost, Ho!

NESguerilla posted:

I never ran a full Dex build but from what I understand Dexterity reduces the casting time of spells. I've run into dex characters who would fast cast pyromancy spells at me, it seemed pretty cool. Also, obviously, it increases your backstab damage and etc.

The equipment would be pretty similar to a strength build though, except you'd be using things that scale well, like katanas.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Black Frost posted:

I never ran a full Dex build but from what I understand Dexterity reduces the casting time of spells. I've run into dex characters who would fast cast pyromancy spells at me, it seemed pretty cool. Also, obviously, it increases your backstab damage and etc.

The equipment would be pretty similar to a strength build though, except you'd be using things that scale well, like katanas.

The Dex cast time reduction is negligible, maybe half a second at most.

Dex-heavy builds start off pretty gimped, but certain weapons like the Giant Scythe or juiced-up scimitars and katanas hit fast and hard, which can quickly overwhelm a player if you're good at finding openings. And they can be a godsend in lategame single-player, thanks to how much bows scale with Dexterity.

My first character was Dex-based, but I spent less time exploiting my added maneuverability than I'd have thought. I'm going to play a walking tank Strength build in my next game and see how they compare.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Black Frost posted:

Also, obviously, it increases your backstab damage and etc.

Uhhhhhh does it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Yeah, drat I kind of figured that was the case. It's such a shame that there is so many cool looking armor sets in this game that just make no sense to use in almost any context.

It always comes down to balance in these games. I was bitching about lack of PVP balance earlier but the same goes with character building. They put like a 1000 things in this game that I want to use but there is this small list of items that are just so much better than anything else. Whats the point?

It's like Dark souls has the opposite problem that Demon's did in regards to Armor. Armor was pretty irrelevant in Demon's so there wasn't much point in running around in heavy armor that weighed a ton and provided minimal resistance. People complained about it so their answer wa "lets make light armor loving useless". This whole problem could be solved so easily by just adding more enticing magical effects to the light armor too.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 14, 2011

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

buzzsaw.gif posted:

There are no advantages to a dex character over a str character.

Well dex is better in the laggy pvp environment everyone is dealing with. That's actually like the worst blanket statement to make also...

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Ball Stink posted:

Uhhhhhh does it?

From what I've read, the only thing that increases a weapon's critical damage is its critical modifier. But I can see how it's an easy to mistake to make, since I'm fairly certain all weapons that have high critical modifiers are weapons with a high Dex bonuses which means Dex, incidentally, DOES increase critical damage for those weapons.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

is there a moment where this game "clicks" or is it just going nowhere again and again? i love the atmosphere and aesthetics of this game, and even the gameplay, but i dont understand if theres something about combat that im just not getting, or if its just the way things are??

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Could you be more specific?

Rollersnake posted:

Christ, I'm barely able to make any headway into the Undead Burg. I really want to enjoy this, but it's difficult in ways that don't make sense to me—I don't understand the whole rhythm to battle, and my attempts to play defensively are getting me killed more than haphazard flailing. And now I'm out of arrows so my next attempt is only going to be harder.

My first post in this thread, by the way. I'm now at the final boss (only stalled because of exams), and this is definitely my game of the year so far.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Jetpack Postman posted:

From what I've read, the only thing that increases a weapon's critical damage is its critical modifier. But I can see how it's an easy to mistake to make, since I'm fairly certain all weapons that have high critical modifiers are weapons with a high Dex bonuses which means Dex, incidentally, DOES increase critical damage for those weapons.

If those weapons still had crit modifiers and did not scale with dex, they wouldn't. Dex does not increase backstab damage in some special way unless the weapon scales with it...

I actually wish we had more scaling or more tiers of scaling. For this game to have so many NG playthrough difficulties, it makes sense. I think vit as a whole should be buffed, and scaling should be completely redone so it works properly past 40 and there needs to be a bigger gap between ranks of scaling. Will never happen though, oh well.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, drat I kind of figured that was the case. It's such a shame that there is so many cool looking armor sets in this game that just make no sense to use in almost any context.

You use them because they look cool. Don't be another to succumb to Mask of the Father plus Giant!

Loads of poiseless armours are very popular anyway, it's all about looking pretty.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

GAY RETARD posted:

is there a moment where this game "clicks" or is it just going nowhere again and again? i love the atmosphere and aesthetics of this game, and even the gameplay, but i dont understand if theres something about combat that im just not getting, or if its just the way things are??

Thinking about my first playthrough is hilarious compared to how I breeze through this game now. Just stick with it, when it clicks you'll feel it...but you will still die.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

neetz posted:

You use them because they look cool. Don't be another to succumb to Mask of the Father plus Giant!

Loads of poiseless armours are very popular anyway, it's all about looking pretty.

Ha. It's tempting but I usually end up being the dude wearing a skirt, massive armor up top and a bee hive on my head for stat reasons.

The guys that crack me up (lots of them on youtube) are the people that desperately try to make anime characters. Girl avatar, No helmet, purple hair, wearing as little clothes as possible. Sorry dudes there is nothing you can do to make this game sexy.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 14, 2011

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GAY RETARD posted:

It's like Super Mario Bros, you die a million times and then suddenly you've got the pacing and method figured out before you even realize you've done so.

Only thing I really had to learn and focus on in Demon's Souls and this was: treat every enemy as though it can murder you dead. Because it can. :v:

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Oh hey, if you have a Japanese PSN, there's a bunch of free Dark Souls themes up! There's one each for Way of White, Princess' Guards, Warriors of Sunlight and Darkwraiths. They're a little bit silly looking all told but they're 3D and do stuff. So if you want Solaire to praise the sun as your theme, go nuts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GAY RETARD posted:

What are you having trouble with? If you are new play slowly and cautiously with the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MZ posted:

Ugh, I accidentally hit the female undead merchant in the lower undead burg and now she won't have anything to do with me.

shall I go an absolve my sins (will this make her friendly again?) or do I not need her much....
Absolve is so cheap now you might as well.

• Locked thread