Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...

blackmanjew posted:

On more of a serious note, couldn't you angle the galant in the right hand corner of the living room by the patio?

I could, but I had planned on doing the TV there with the couch on the short wall directly across from it. Not a bad suggestion though... I could move the TV and such into the bedroom.

FISHMANPET posted:

Do you have a laptop (for built in desk studying)?

Aye, I do. My laptop is what I use 90% of the time. The desktop would be just for gaming. Though at this point, maybe it's time to retire the desktop, sell the Galant, and just downsize. It's not like I'll have time to do any serious gaming when school starts, and if I get the bug to sink a lot of time into a game, I can fire up the 360 for something other than Netflix.

Hm... Something to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Spike McAwesome posted:

I suppose this is a good a place as any to ask this:

I'm moving at the end of the month and I'm wondering where I should put my desk for a gaming desktop. Here's the floorplan of my new place:

The black arrow is pointing to a built-in desk. The red arrow is where I originally wanted to put my desk (Ikea Galant), and the blue arrow is another option. Am I being neurotic for thinking this way:

- I don't want to put my computer on the built-in desk. I'd rather use that for bills and for studying when I start grad school in the fall.
- I worry that by putting it in the living room (red arrow), it'll take up too much space in the room and make some of the breakfast bar unusable.
- But I don't really want to put it in the bedroom (blue arrow) since that seems too teenager-living-at-home to me.

Post your (theoretical) desktops!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Use your laptop for work. Plug your desktop into your TV so you can game from the couch. Invest in a 360 controller and wireless receiver (and of course a wireless KB/M).

This is my current setup, and it's absolutely fantastic, and I have no idea why more people don't do this.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Spike McAwesome posted:

I'm moving at the end of the month and I'm wondering where I should put my desk for a gaming desktop. Here's the floorplan of my new place:

The black arrow is pointing to a built-in desk. The red arrow is where I originally wanted to put my desk (Ikea Galant), and the blue arrow is another option. Am I being neurotic for thinking this way:

- I don't want to put my computer on the built-in desk. I'd rather use that for bills and for studying when I start grad school in the fall.
- I worry that by putting it in the living room (red arrow), it'll take up too much space in the room and make some of the breakfast bar unusable.
- But I don't really want to put it in the bedroom (blue arrow) since that seems too teenager-living-at-home to me.

The only way in to your closet is through the bathroom? And the bathroom is accessible by two different doors? That's kinda messed up.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Did you buy the house? You could remove the built in desk, and rebuild something that suit you better.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

piratepilates posted:

The only way in to your closet is through the bathroom? And the bathroom is accessible by two different doors? That's kinda messed up.
My closets are the same way. Bedroom -> a door into each closet.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Did you buy the house? You could remove the built in desk, and rebuild something that suit you better.

Looks like an apartment layout to me.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Spike McAwesome posted:

If it sits large in your living room and you have people over regularly I would put it in your bedroom. Living room space is precious, in my opinion, and having a big desk eats up your space, and is a bit of a distraction.

Most people I know with workstations living in apartments either have them in their bedrooms or in their dining nook assuming they are not lucky enough to have space for an office. In reality most people now just don't ave them, they have a laptop, so it isn't really an issue for them.

If you have a big master bedroom, which it seems you do, put it in there. I mean, what else are you going to use all that space for? Your living room looks to be the same size as your master, so your going to just have a bed in your master bedroom, and cram all your stuff in the living room?

Who cares if it looks to "teenager living at home?" If all it takes is a desk in your bedroom to make people think that, then the desk is probably the least of your problems. This also might be the big city dweller in me who is used to having to cram an entire living situation into a bedroom of their shared flat.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How often are people in your bedroom anyway? If it's an issue, maybe you could use a folding screen or some tall shelves to separate the space into sleeping and gaming areas.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Seriously, my living room is my adult space where I entertain guests, do dinner parties and movie nights etc. The only people who go into my bedroom are close friends and people I am going to sleep with, and if they saw my room, saw a desk, and went "on second thought" I would physically remove them from my house myself.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
What about the opposite of the current dinning room arrow?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
When I lived alone, I did both. First, I had my desk in my living room so I could hook my PC up to my TV, but still have a regular computing setup.

Even though I lost the niceness of having a computer connected to my TV, (which is easily fixable with an Acer Revo or some nettop) it was the best decision I made at that apartment. It looks like a similar size as yours as well. Just stick your desk under your anime wallscrolls and dragon posters, where it belongs. :hellyeah:

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...
Ahaha holy poo poo. I really didn't expect this conversation to continue on for so long. I'm just being neurotic because I've never lived completely and totally on my own before - either I've had roommates or live-in girlfriends. And I've never had to contend with a one bedroom before - normally I'd just get a 2bd apartment, turn the second bedroom into an office, and not think twice about it.

Now I'm a little torn. I was being kinda crazy about the negative perceptions when putting it in the bedroom, but that's something I can live with. On the other hand, if I connect it to the TV and do everything there, that would save a lot of space and allow me to sell the desk for a couple of bucks.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

It's just a rental, unfortunately.

Fatal posted:

What about the opposite of the current dinning room arrow?

That's where the poker table is going.

And for content - My desk at work. This was completely cleaned off and the in/out boxes were empty. Then I went on vacation for two weeks. I came back to this:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Spike McAwesome posted:

I came back to this:

Time to fire up the shredder.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
Put it in the bedroom. People will not be impressed when they come over and there's a giant Ikea desk with your sweet gaming rig, lotion, toilet paper roll, and handgun eating up a quarter of your living room. Unless you don't have to worry about people coming over, in which case full steam ahead.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

shao kong posted:

People will not be impressed when they come over

Whoa slow down there, if we're gonna do 'what-ifs' lets at least keep it realistic.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man I really want a Legare L-corner but it's a long way off - gonna redo the office in hardwood first and gently caress that poo poo's expensive. =\

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Spike McAwesome posted:

Kitchen, immediately next to Mountain Dew and Troegs repositories

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just noticed the Dining area, what are you going to be doing with that? Could you turn that into a little home office nook, since you've got a breakfast bar for eating?

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Tide posted:

Holy poo poo, someone else with this terrible, terrible desk. Lacking in the camera department at the moment, but good choice with taking out the keyboard tray -- the drat thing is shedding the top layer where I have my mouse.

But what did I expect for a $40 desk from Staples :v:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Habibi posted:

Holy poo poo, someone else with this terrible, terrible desk. Lacking in the camera department at the moment, but good choice with taking out the keyboard tray -- the drat thing is shedding the top layer where I have my mouse.

But what did I expect for a $40 desk from Staples :v:

Yeah, the only good thing about this desk is the amount of space on the top and the price tag. Ikea is just too far away (350 miles) and shipping costs more than the item itself. I tried to get used to having the kb/m on the tray, but my G510 takes up too much space to have it and the mouse on it, and I never could get used to having my hands that low.

It's drat hard to find a decent desk at a decent price point.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I really need to do some cleaning and re-organizing.

Edit:
Alright it was pissing me off how unclean it was so I decided instead of studying for my two finals tomorrow I'd spend the night cleaning. Still need to organize my desk a bit more, but it's getting there.

Jato fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 13, 2011

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

AtrociousToaster posted:

I really need to do some cleaning and re-organizing.

One of two acceptable ways to listen to DSotM

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Reading this thread makes me realize I need a new desk. One that fits all my stuff.

Can anyone recommend a desk with a slide-out keyboard tray that will fit a mouse, a top wide enough to fit 2 x 24" widescreen monitors with 2 small PC speakers on either side AND can be ordered online?

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Tide posted:

It's drat hard to find a decent desk at a decent price point.

Yeah, I know I should find a better desk (especially because I've got two monitors now, and I want one of them to go on a desk-mounted arm... which I'm not sure this desk can handle). I live near an IKEA, but I just... I don't know. This desk works. It's not broken or anything. It's just kind of slowly falling apart.

You've kind of inspired me to take the goddamn keyboard tray out. I think my chair will actually fit under the desk if I do that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've been in a few furniture stores lately, and I've happened to wander into the office sections where they keep the really nice wooden office desks, and I have to say I didn't like any of them. I mean most of them looked really nice and seemed to be well made from a quality perspective, but apparently every "nice" desk these days no matter where you go has a great big drawer right in under the center of the main surface area, meant to go above your legs, leaving (depending on your chair height) either no room for your legs at all or room for your legs but a desk surface way too tall for typing comfortably on. Usually these drawers are set to have the front fold down so they double as keyboard trays, but the problem is that every one of them are too narrow to fit a keyboard and mouse. I guess they expect you to put your mouse on the desk surface and use it by extending your arm way out in front of you and at a much higher level than where your keyboard is set.

It really does seem like a Galant-style desk is pretty much the best desk for computer productivity.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 12, 2011

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

GreatGreen posted:

I guess they expect you to put your mouse on the desk surface and use it by extending your arm way out in front of you and at a much higher level than where your keyboard is set.

This is actually how every non-technical executive works. I have seen them all.

Galant is the only option. Might want to add that to the OP. :bandwagon:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Convinced the lady to buy double Galants for our office/spare bedroom. Gonna be sweet.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Just rearranged my bedroom to get some more useful space to move around in:

Looks a hell of a lot better. And I have a clean desk for a change.

Tacos Are Good
Jun 28, 2004
mmmmm...

MrMoose posted:

Just rearranged my bedroom to get some more useful space to move around in:

Looks a hell of a lot better. And I have a clean desk for a change.

Is that a picture on your table or a mirror for coke?

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Tacos Are Good posted:

Is that a picture on your table or a mirror for coke?

It's some sticker that was on the table when my roommate gave it to me. I just never took it off.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

GreatGreen posted:

I've been in a few furniture stores lately, and I've happened to wander into the office sections where they keep the really nice wooden office desks, and I have to say I didn't like any of them.

Yeah, I had this problem too, only I was looking at more modern desks which would suit the house. Went through countless department stores, furniture stores, websites etc. I was all set to drop $1,500 on the one desk that fit all my requirements, when I saw the store was only open 9-5, Monday to Friday and you couldn't order online.

In the end I went to Ikea of all places and whacked together an ensemble for a third of the price - see photo earlier in the thread.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GreatGreen posted:

I've been in a few furniture stores lately, and I've happened to wander into the office sections where they keep the really nice wooden office desks, and I have to say I didn't like any of them. I mean most of them looked really nice and seemed to be well made from a quality perspective, but apparently every "nice" desk these days no matter where you go has a great big drawer right in under the center of the main surface area, meant to go above your legs, leaving (depending on your chair height) either no room for your legs at all or room for your legs but a desk surface way too tall for typing comfortably on. Usually these drawers are set to have the front fold down so they double as keyboard trays, but the problem is that every one of them are too narrow to fit a keyboard and mouse. I guess they expect you to put your mouse on the desk surface and use it by extending your arm way out in front of you and at a much higher level than where your keyboard is set.

It really does seem like a Galant-style desk is pretty much the best desk for computer productivity.
If you look around your area, you'll probably find a number of office furniture stores that deal in built-to-specification MDF hardware. We went with one for the computer desk I have at home and are pretty much completely happy with it. It's built like a rock compared to typical Sauder or Bush poo poo, but we didn't spend $1500 on it either and we got exactly what we wanted.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Misogynist posted:

If you look around your area, you'll probably find a number of office furniture stores that deal in built-to-specification MDF hardware. We went with one for the computer desk I have at home and are pretty much completely happy with it. It's built like a rock compared to typical Sauder or Bush poo poo, but we didn't spend $1500 on it either and we got exactly what we wanted.

I have to say, while custom furniture isn't going to be cheap like a 150 dollar desk, it is way more affordable than most people realize. We have a local group that does semi custom couches. You choose a length, depth, basic features, any fabric, and they will build it. A fully custom, rock solid couch from them is ~1600 dollars. While that seems like a lot it is actually less than half the cost of a couch of any remotely similar design. Think Restoration hardware but better quality and half the price. It will also last you way longer than any cheap 800 dollar couch and look better doing it. I found another company that has less options and simpler builds that starts at around 1000 bucks.

A local guy here does made to order dressers, with deco detailing. A huge heirloom quality dresser is around 2500. This is extremely nice woodworking, you can't even find something remotely similar in a normal furniture store.

So if you have your heart set on a desk of a particular style do not be afraid to look up cabinetmakers and carpenters in the area. I know sometimes you just can't afford to spend that kind of money, but a lot of people can and I think they just don't realize how affordable semi custom woodworking can be. It is a great option when you are ready to commit to some furniture.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Misogynist and Juriko posted:

Truth.

These guys are absolutely right. I used to do cabinetry, and almost every shop out there can set you up with something customized to your needs for around the same price as an office furniture store will sell you their flat-pack special.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Heh, so I just realized I've actually been using a Galant for the past year or so without knowing it. :thumbsup:

Well, it's not literally an Ikea Galant, but the desk in my office at work does happen to share the exact same L/W/H dimensions as an actual Galant corner model, plus a small extension on the shorter side that makes it symmetrical when you're facing the corner. In my defense though, it does have entirely different legs than a standard Galant, and it's veneered in lovely Boring Corporate Office Desk Grey with Boring Slightly Darker Grey edges, so it's not nearly as pretty.

I really like my desk here at work though, it's pretty much perfect for what it is. Huh. How about that.

Guess I should start looking for an actual Galant to use at home.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

When we finally end up moving I'll sell the Fredrik and build a standing desk with an Ergotron mount for the ACD, but for now it's fine.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Some crazy setups from hardforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

God I'm so happy to see a bowl of Froot Loops instead of a lovingly posed beer.