Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Not sure what's going on here. Figured you guys would know. I'm referencing the left rear.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

front wing flexing posted:

Not sure what's going on here. Figured you guys would know. I'm referencing the left rear.

blown shocks/trunk full of dead hookers?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

opengl128 posted:

blown shocks/trunk full of dead hookers?

I see it sagging but it looks like the center line of the rear tire is about two inches in front of where it should be.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

dissss posted:

On the gas explosion note:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hissing-sound-before-fatal-mulgrave-van-blast-20111212-1oq3q.html

No mention as to what gas was involved yet

Probably acetylene or some other welding gas? They did mention that he was driving a van to work as a plumber.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

front wing flexing posted:

Either a broken spring or a bent control arm/axle, possibly from backing into a parking spot and hitting the concrete parking block.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Root Bear posted:

Either a broken spring or a bent control arm/axle, possibly from backing into a parking spot and hitting the concrete parking block.

A broken spring shouldn't cause the wheel to shift forward like that. Voting bent control arm as well.

VikingSkull posted:

Kind of on topic, my dad was the superintendent of maintenance at a chemical plant for like 20 years. That means I'm terrified of weird things, like railway cars filled with benzene. If those trains went off, it would have leveled everything for a mile.

You mean something like this? (okay that's with propylene but still...)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

some texas redneck posted:

:stare:
"You might want to back your unit up" indeed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pw_bnS-qcds#t=416s Right before boom.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

The Age posted:

He had suffered extensive "blast-type" injuries to his head, chest and abdomen and could not be saved. He died in hospital about 10am.

That sounds like the kind of euphemism you save for something really horrible.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

EightBit posted:

Probably acetylene or some other welding gas? They did mention that he was driving a van to work as a plumber.
I would be surprised if it was acetylene though. Plumbers mostly use propane/oxy from what I have seen, and use even that less than they used to since it's all gone plastic tubing now, also propane or MAPP is enough for them just brazing 1/2" copper.
Fridgies like me are about the only trade that still use acetylene, due to much larger piping that needs brazing.
Though like a said before, gently caress having oxy/ acetylene inside a van, should use well ventilated utes for stuff like that.

edit: I have heard a case in the UK where a fridgies house caught fire, firies heard there was acetylene on the premises, and just backed away to a safe distance and let the place burn.
The stuff definitely doesn't get much respect to it's dangers down here. Almost every air con company uses vans, and they nearly all have oxy acet in them. Some kind of brazing gear is needed for the job, but a van is more useful to transport a/cs. Strange that nearly every refrig company seems to always have utes. Even though I mainly do a/cs, I still went with the ute, sucks when I need to transport a/cs, but I rather get a trailer for those times, and keep the oxy acet and 4 different refrigerants and nitrogen cylinder, in the tray of the ute, than inside a van.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 12, 2011

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fo3 posted:

I would be surprised if it was acetylene though. Plumbers mostly use propane/oxy from what I have seen, and use even that less than they used to since it's all gone plastic tubing now, also propane or MAPP is enough for them just brazing 1/2" copper.

MAPP is plenty hot for even 2" copper. I just sweated a fitting on an old sanitary sewer line with one. And you're right: that's about the extent of what a plumber would be doing with a torch these days. All they do it glue PVC and crimp PEX. The torch only comes out on repairs, and pretty much only to put a fitting on old copper to get it to PEX or PVC. Copper just costs too much to be worth it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Well, the other reason why fridgies use oxy acet (and not MAPP), is the heat has to be damned fast and localised. Heaps of seals and gaskets will melt if you try to do fridgy work just with MAPP. Also the longer you heat something, the more carbon deposits inside the pipe which will contaminate the system. So like I said, I can only see fridgies using oxy acet for those reasons, and not plumbers. And every plumber ute I have seen for 10+ years has had propane in it, not acetylene, I'd be suprised if most of them had not switched to MAPP.

VV edit: Sorry, I thought it was a bit off topic enough, without posting a picture that is not a mechanical failure. But yeah, buy that poo poo if you need the quick high temp localised heat of an oxy acet on the road, and not have van go boom.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 12, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fo3 posted:

That look's so adorable. :3: Oooh "The Little Torch Welder", just what I wanted, thanks Santa!

edit: Daddy took it away cause he read this thread :(

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bondematt posted:

"You might want to back your unit up" indeed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pw_bnS-qcds#t=416s Right before boom.

Backs up a few feet and stops....backs up a little more and stops.........FLOORS IT IN REVERSE!!!!!!!(and shits pants)

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Had a slight mechanical failure of my own. DID YOU KNOW that if the air supply dies on a plasma cutter, the tip will melt right off?

Air compressor died in the middle of cutting and I didn't realize it. I noticed something was off, so I asked someone to change the air flow from 2.5 to 5.0 (my excuse was I was on a ladder so I couldn't flip the switch and couldn't hear the air compressor over the generator), but that did nothing. After my tip melted, I checked the compressor and the tank was empty because the breaker blew. Joy.

Then the generator died.

And the gas tank blew up.

Which caused a train that was carrying alternating cars of liquid oxygen and LNG to derail.

AND... I'll stop. Plasma cutters melting is pathetic next to exploding train depots.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

some texas redneck posted:

Exactly like that, but with arsenic and mercury mixed in :laugh:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This is probably a horrible mechanical failure being prevented, but I thought the sheer power involved fit the theme of the thread.

I was leaving the basement of the Georgia Tech Library last night when I heard a noise like a freight train start up. As I left the building, that turned into an incredibly loud roaring/hissing noise from the direction of the Georgia Tech Steam Plant. As I got closer (but still not in full view of the steam plant), the sound reached painful/damaging levels, and I put on my motorcycle helmet to mitigate it. When I reached the steam plant, I saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKfE9HThrxA

To put things in perspective, the steam plant is right next to the A marker on the map, and the library is in the top left. The pipe venting steam is in the area circled in blue. Bobby Dodd way is a major pedestrian artery to and from the library, and was being pretty heavily used at the time.

The sheer volume indicated to me that the venting is nowhere near normal, and I wondered what sort of overpressure catastrophe was being prevented. I peeked my head into a window of the actual plant expecting to see people running around, but instead I saw one guy, calmly working on something pipe-related. As I got to my motorcycle, I heard a sound like a giant valve turning, and the roar of the steam died down to nothing. I peeked back into the window, and the guy calmly working was nowhere to be found.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Maybe he was just stressed? Feels good to let off a little steam.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Fo3 posted:

fridgies firies ute

All you're missing are some references to bad beer and that'd be the most Australian post ever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
We have that same hissing noise at the power plant here in Tempe, Az at least one morning a month. I live like a mile south of it and it literally hurts my ears if I step outside the apartment. What is it?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Safety Dance posted:

This is probably a horrible mechanical failure being prevented, but I thought the sheer power involved fit the theme of the thread.

I was leaving the basement of the Georgia Tech Library last night when I heard a noise like a freight train start up. As I left the building, that turned into an incredibly loud roaring/hissing noise from the direction of the Georgia Tech Steam Plant. As I got closer (but still not in full view of the steam plant), the sound reached painful/damaging levels, and I put on my motorcycle helmet to mitigate it. When I reached the steam plant, I saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKfE9HThrxA

To put things in perspective, the steam plant is right next to the A marker on the map, and the library is in the top left. The pipe venting steam is in the area circled in blue. Bobby Dodd way is a major pedestrian artery to and from the library, and was being pretty heavily used at the time.

The sheer volume indicated to me that the venting is nowhere near normal, and I wondered what sort of overpressure catastrophe was being prevented. I peeked my head into a window of the actual plant expecting to see people running around, but instead I saw one guy, calmly working on something pipe-related. As I got to my motorcycle, I heard a sound like a giant valve turning, and the roar of the steam died down to nothing. I peeked back into the window, and the guy calmly working was nowhere to be found.

I was at a coal plant that did that when they started up. IIRC it was to flush air and liquid water from the tubes and steam drum after service.

It was painful from over 200 m away, even though the plant was pretty low pressure (1800 psi) and the outlet was fitted with a suppressor.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

NOTinuyasha posted:

Not seeing how anyone could have survived that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can only guess that the 'one person injured' was in the truck and the minivan was unoccupied.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

NOTinuyasha posted:

The fact that the driver was only severely injured seems more like an incredible mechanical success to me.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Must have been a convertible, and seriously lucky that the front crash structure just bent that gigantic loving rear end of the bus :psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wow, I always figured school buses were really flimsy and would just blow apart on a rear end impact like a box truck. They must build those things on one hell of a frame.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wow, I always figured school buses were really flimsy and would just blow apart on a rear end impact like a box truck. They must build those things on one hell of a frame.

Hmm, doesn't look like something I would want to hit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

How fast would you have to be going in order to do that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Chinatown posted:

good question. The sheer mass would have helped with the obliteration, but I'd say a pretty fair lick. The tyre tracks removed my initial theory that the bus driver reversed into it a few times at speed.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've always sort of wondered why school busses don't have underride bars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The build the hell out of them period. As a hose monkey, I can tell you they are the hardest drat things to cut apart. Fortunately I've never had the need to do so on an actual accident scene, but the ones we get to cut up in training take some doing. There's no peeling and pushing with hydraulic tools like we do with cars and trucks. This is a Sawzall and air hammer affair all the way, and you have to cut down the bays (under/around the side windows) and open the sides up like mini draw bridges or it just takes too drat long.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

I've always sort of wondered why school busses don't have underride bars.

Probably a combination of cheapness, the idea that they spend most of the time in 20mph zones (a misconception, but an understandable one), cheapness, lack of specific regulation, and cheapness?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh hey remember those dies I said needed to run? Small update. The chromed first stages cleaned up okay with a bit of elbow grease, I got a fella in to sandblast the rest, which made them look much more usable but revealed a shitton of older damage:

[
Much better, though we had to spray a little oil on there as they started rusting immediately

[
A lot of fiddly work, grinding this back to working surface by hand would simply not happen.

[

[
Plenty of old weld repairs visible...

[
Well that doesn't look too bad?

[
Um, will that be a problem? Apparently not for the small volume we'll run.

[
Again, spot the old repairs :stare:

[
Apparently this part used to 'run like a bitch' By the looks of it it ran on welding rods.

Anyway, apparently none of this will cause us problems, but it's interesting to see how these things hold up to making a squillion parts.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 20, 2018

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow. That's pretty cracked up.

I guess that happens when you slam the poo poo out of a forging? casting? hundreds of thousands of times with a massive press.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Casting, hundreds of thousands. Actually I think some areas are where the panel handling attachments fell into the dies & got pressed.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Chinatown posted:

Most of the mass is below the main damage and H2's are mostly plastic.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cakefool posted:

Casting, hundreds of thousands. Actually I think some areas are where the panel handling attachments fell into the dies & got pressed.

I've never had the pleasure of welding cast iron (well, once, sorta), but I know you have to heat the poo poo out of it to get anything close to an acceptable weld.

Given how big those bastards are, I can only imagine how much time some poor millwright had to spend with a torch on that. And the water cooled suit you would need to get anywhere close to it.

:stonk:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Cast iron sucks to weld. I've used the Lincoln nickel rods and ferroweld rods on it before. You can do the hot as the sun and keep it that way method or the weld cool and they both work, usually.

Even weird stresses from heat can crack it if you're welding with preheat. Short sections at a time (usually), maintaining even preheat (like 900ish degrees in my experience) and burying it in sand after you're done.

I've only ever tried the preheat version. Cold version and you have to weld in short sections, let it cool, weld again, let it cool etc.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Motronic posted:

The build the hell out of them period. As a hose monkey, I can tell you they are the hardest drat things to cut apart. Fortunately I've never had the need to do so on an actual accident scene, but the ones we get to cut up in training take some doing. There's no peeling and pushing with hydraulic tools like we do with cars and trucks. This is a Sawzall and air hammer affair all the way, and you have to cut down the bays (under/around the side windows) and open the sides up like mini draw bridges or it just takes too drat long.

I've got no problem with school busses being the most durable things on the road. None.

Slung Blade posted:

I've never had the pleasure of welding cast iron (well, once, sorta), but I know you have to heat the poo poo out of it to get anything close to an acceptable weld.

Given how big those bastards are, I can only imagine how much time some poor millwright had to spend with a torch on that. And the water cooled suit you would need to get anywhere close to it.

They make water cooled welding suits?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Skyssx posted:

I've got no problem with school busses being the most durable things on the road. None.

Yeah there have been a few high profile incidents in China recently that illustrate the importance of school bus safety (in particular not overloading them)

That design above looks weird though - why is the floor up so high? Seems like its just asking for trouble.