Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kmcormick9 posted:

What's the best HF spray gun for auto paint? I'm gonna tarp off my carport and paint my mr2 with rustoleum using the instructions on instructables.com

There's a choice other than the detail gun and the full sized HVLP?

I've painted a few with the full sized HVLP. It's not the best thing if you've ever used a $200+ gun, but it gets the job done just fine.

If there really is more than once choice, I'll figure out which one I bought for you for a recommendation. But I'm pretty sure there's only one full size available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4
I'm looking for a tool cabinet or two for my garage. I'd like something to store all my regular tools in, along with something to store power tools (deeper drawers).  Something like this craftsman seems like it would fit my needs http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...00065TFYG%A0and maybe this as well http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002KE5E4G

Does craftsman make a good product for the price?  Who else makes nice tool cabinets?  I found this other one by Excel, are they good? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003ZXZPJK

I'm living in a new place with a giant garage, so I think its time to spend some money on proper storage for all the tools I've got lying around.

Thanks

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
If you need cheap, these are not that bad for home use:
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...catalogId=10053

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I just bought the harbor frieght one for $379, the US general base.

So far, its pretty good. Solid, and the rollers work well. Each drawer has a piece of foam in it so you don't need to buy a bunch of foam/felt just to start loading it up.

I bent the castors a bit getting it out of the truck, but thats because it was 300 lbs and I was doing it myself. It just makes it tilty a bit when you are rolling it around. It doesn't effect much else, and it will probably bend itself back straight when I finish loading it up with 2k lbs of tools.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

boondocksts posted:

Does craftsman make a good product for the price?

Their mid grade stuff is pretty good for the cost. I've got the older version of this. It's easily better than anything else I've seen in that price range. My only complaint so far is that the locking mechanism is clunky as gently caress.

I have mostly inspection tools in mine though, so it's pretty light weight. I don't know how well it would handle being filled with hammers.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

oxbrain posted:

Their mid grade stuff is pretty good for the cost. I've got the older version of this. It's easily better than anything else I've seen in that price range. My only complaint so far is that the locking mechanism is clunky as gently caress.

I have mostly inspection tools in mine though, so it's pretty light weight. I don't know how well it would handle being filled with hammers.

I have the same, filled with a mix of homeowner and mechanic tools. Fair amount of weight in them and it works just fine. Locks suck and the casters are cheap. It's not fantastic but plenty serviceable. I can't justify spending more on a box though, it just holds my tools when I am not.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

boondocksts posted:

Does craftsman make a good product for the price?  Who else makes nice tool cabinets? 

No. Craftsman stuff, even the mid-grade boxes are generally pretty bad.
Amazingly, the best thing HF sells is their 42" toolbox. Mine is loaded with about 1500 lbs of tools, and hasn't skipped a beat. I'm seriously considering buying another for the garage. Check garage journal, there's plenty of info about toolboxes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sharkytm posted:

No. Craftsman stuff, even the mid-grade boxes are generally pretty bad.
Amazingly, the best thing HF sells is their 42" toolbox. Mine is loaded with about 1500 lbs of tools, and hasn't skipped a beat. I'm seriously considering buying another for the garage. Check garage journal, there's plenty of info about toolboxes.

Namely:

They seem to like that toolbox just fine.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I hope this isn't bannable, but I'd like to point out that I'm selling five used IR 2135ti airguns in the AI "sell your poo poo" thread.

$45-60 each, which is a pretty good deal for such a ballsy and light gun.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Oops! Moved to the sell-your-stuff thread.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 14, 2011

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just got a pneumatic cut off tool at harbor freight for $7. That's so cheap it doesn't even make sense, the loving wheels to go with it were more than the tool.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

tonedef131 posted:

the disposable, quickly used wheels to go with it were more than the tool

Makes sense to me.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Makes sense to me.
I'm sure neither the discs or the tool will last long, but for $7 even if I only get one or two uses out of it I got my moneys worth.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Mine has lasted quite a long time, actually. And was $5. Also they're definitely not razor and blades pricing because the wheels are still cheaper than dewalt wheels.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Mine was on sale for around 6 bucks. So far it has lasted.. go figure. I always drop a little oil in it and its good to go. And for getting dropped quite a few times it really has not had a problem. Good deal really.... Hell even the impact gun I purchased a few weeks ago has been trouble free.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

JnnyThndrs posted:

I hope this isn't bannable, but I'd like to point out that I'm selling five used IR 2135ti airguns in the AI "sell your poo poo" thread.

$45-60 each, which is a pretty good deal for such a ballsy and light gun.

drat good deal on a great gun. Paid $100 on ebay for mine earlier this year.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Lord Gaga posted:

Mine has lasted quite a long time, actually. And was $5. Also they're definitely not razor and blades pricing because the wheels are still cheaper than dewalt wheels.

This post is confusing because I could buy about 1000 blades for the price of my razor handle.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Splizwarf posted:

This post is confusing because I could buy about 1000 blades for the price of my razor handle.
The razor referred to here is the type you use to shave your face. The razor is cheap, while the blades are expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebie_marketing

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yes. My razor handle was about $60, a Merkur Progress.

http://www.amazon.com/DORCO-Platinum-Double-Razor-Blades/dp/B000YHWR0K

Granted, Dorco's not a stellar brand, but it was a quick search.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I use a saftey razor too, I think my monthly shaving costs are about $0.25

I can't believe people ever went away from these things, disposable razors are a heist.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tonedef131 posted:

I use a saftey razor too, I think my monthly shaving costs are about $0.25

I can't believe people ever went away from these things, disposable razors are a heist.

But you're only shaving with ONE BLADE!

And don't get me started on how DANGEROUS double-sided razor blades are! Much better to have them safely contained in a flimsy overpriced plastic carrier.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Disposable blades? Haven't used those in years. Straight razors are where it is at. No new blades required.

On the tools front, I've been thinking about a lathe and possibly milling machine. What do people reccomend?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

drywall is ~$7/sheet (1/2"), plywood is ~$16 (same thickness.) I'd probably go with plywood for strength/durability, but it is more expensive...

If I build a garage

I think you're missing the obvious solution here.
insulation + plastic sheeting + pegboard. Pegboard EVERYWHERE! (save the areas where you'll be shelving.
Paper backed fiberglass insulation is good and cheap. However good foam insulation is the best. Not only for thermal but also sound insulation.

Alright I'm about at my whit's end for finding a decent HVLP gun. I've searched pretty much everywhere I can think and have come up with nothing.

I need a smaller (detail) one to paint motors and poo poo. This isn't the hard part. What's killing me is I have a Turbinaire 1235gt and I cannot find an appropriate gun for it I have a bottom fed bleeder "Sprayfine" gun that isn't terrible but isn't great either. It's also WAY too big for my needs.

Basically I want a gravity fed, small, turbine appropriate, HVLP gun.
Please tell me someone here can help. Everyone else only deals with compressor powered guns.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Colonel K posted:

On the tools front, I've been thinking about a lathe and possibly milling machine. What do people reccomend?

Sherline 4400 lathe, Haas VM2 mill. Should serve your every need.

For a real recommendation, check out the Metalwork thread in DIY.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
edit* Nevermind.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

so... I should buy this right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No....you don't want that <jumps into car and starts driving>.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Dielectric posted:

Sherline 4400 lathe, Haas VM2 mill. Should serve your every need.

For a real recommendation, check out the Metalwork thread in DIY.

Hi thanks for a reccomendation, I've just had a look and it seems rather small. I had been thinking of a Myford or the likes.

Saying that it would only see occasional use when I need to make something or drill on centre.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Colonel K posted:

Hi thanks for a reccomendation, I've just had a look and it seems rather small. I had been thinking of a Myford or the likes.

Saying that it would only see occasional use when I need to make something or drill on centre.

Oh, you're not in the US, are you? Otherwise I'd say to look for an Atlas or Southbend used. How big are you thinking? 6x36? 8x14? 12x40? There are so many lathes available that it's hard to say. Not as many choices for mills, but still it's hard to say without a feeling for your work envelope.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Motronic posted:

No....you don't want that <jumps into car and starts driving>.

haha. funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I JUST bought a propane heater from this guy last week. I really need to just ask him if he has any other cool poo poo that he's got lying around so I don't have to make the 1.5 hour trek up there again.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
In the UK. I'd say 6x36 would probably do nearly all of what I'd want. Generally it would just be automotive / tractor related work, or parts for other projects.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
How much of AI is in the greater DC area? Sheesh. We gotta hang out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

How much of AI is in the greater DC area? Sheesh. We gotta hang out.

this is truth. same with the CA guys. there's a surprising number of us within an hour of DC

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but I picked up a Knifeless Leatherman Fuse to fly with, and it's worked out great; TSA gives it extra-special scrutiny to make sure it's knifeless, but allows it as a carry-on. I don't need to check a bag just to bring tools with me anymore :)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I need to buy a more powerful impact gun and also need an air drill. I found this guy in my town who rebuilds them, which one do you guys think is the best value? I've used the Blue Point and it was great, and my father in law has a similar snap on, but I have no experience with the Mac.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/tls/2747365055.html

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good electric ratchet? I love my air ratchet, but it's loud as poo poo and the hose gets in the way sometimes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

grover posted:

I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but I picked up a Knifeless Leatherman Fuse to fly with, and it's worked out great; TSA gives it extra-special scrutiny to make sure it's knifeless, but allows it as a carry-on. I don't need to check a bag just to bring tools with me anymore :)

I should look into one of those. I want to carry a multi-tool in my bag, but I just know I will forget it in there one day and get in trouble/have to throw it out over a tiny little knife.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress me sideways, how much?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

InitialDave posted:

gently caress me sideways, how much?

Yours for the low price of

$stolen.goods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

FatCow posted:

Yours for the low price of

$stolen.goods

Craigslist is the ultimate enabler.