Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Dr JonboyG posted:

What tires are people going for these days in a 185/60 R14? I was positive that Bridgestone made RE960A/Ss in that size but according to their webpage they don't now.

Like beatdown said, Star Specs. I have 195 Star Specs. They fit fine and grip very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I love taking the MX-5 to the tire shop. Every time they end up peeling out trying to take off. In their defense, I tend to do it as well if I haven't driven it in a while.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It was so easy to peel out in my Miata (in the best, most fun way). I kind of miss it since it never happens unintentionally in my car now that is 800-1000lbs heavier with 245 rears despite having nearly twice the power.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This keeps happening unintentionally, though usually only when it's at least a bit wet. I dunno if it's just the PO's lovely winter tires, or me sucking at driving, but giving it any amount of gas sufficient to get the car to move also causes me to peel out (and puts a grin on my face).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah they're pretty touchy (a good thing). I'm used to driving my E36 which you can practically just dump the clutch on and go that it's quite an adjustment anytime I switch to the Miata.

E: Just remembered the day we bought it, on the test drive with bald proxes in the rain. 1-2-3-4000RPMWHEEEEEEELSPINNNN. I turned and looked at my SO "we're getting this car." Test drive took all of five minutes.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 15, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I feel like that's the reason I don't mind rainy days. I mean I can't put the top down but I spend so much of the drive giggling like a schoolgirl with the back tires spinning that I don't mind having the top up.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Finally put my Miata up for sale, what do you think of the price?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2755315394.html

I already got one email and I just put it up a few hours ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd say it's fair. I would've asked for around $4500 or $5k for my '99, and it had 20k more miles, sunburned paint, and no mods (obligatory MODS DON'T INCREASE VALUE, but those are tasteful / improve the car).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Yay, starting to snow sideways outside the Miata.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sockington posted:

Yay, starting to snow sideways outside the Miata.

That snow is on its way to me isn't it? :q:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

That snow is on its way to me isn't it? :q:

Damnit I want some too! :q:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just got the FM downpipe in, very high quality piece. Gonna (try to) put it in tomorrow. Can't wait.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Does anybody else find it amlost impossible to read their dipstick on a BP engine? I (think) I've overfilled my engine twice now because of it. Is drilling holes in stick a good solution?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

revmoo posted:

Just got the FM downpipe in, very high quality piece. Gonna (try to) put it in tomorrow. Can't wait.

Very nice, I can't wait to get some exhaust on my car. You should look into the MAF relocation kit on mazda-speed, it's a much cheaper alternative to the other intake systems and evens out the power band quite a bit to boot.

jammyozzy posted:

Does anybody else find it amlost impossible to read their dipstick on a BP engine? I (think) I've overfilled my engine twice now because of it. Is drilling holes in stick a good solution?

Never had a problem with mine, are you wiping it completely clean?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

On my old FWD BP I found it slightly easier than on the 02' Miata. I find our 2010 Mazda5 even worse. There's always a bit of oil on the stick when I pull it out - even when I start at like 3L fill and add in increments (4.6L capacity) :confused:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

The dipstick in my NA was really difficult to read. Looking under a bright light against a light background (like a paper towel) always helped a lot.

As the oil got older and blacker it got easier to read, but right after a change it was difficult.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
I just discovered a quarter sized hole in my passenger floor pan. :( Time to remove all the carpet and see if there's any more anywhere else. The ECU cover was completely rusted out. Where does that water come from?

Either way once I fix the hole(s) it'd be a great time to get some of the knock-off dynamat to cover the floor and trunk. Maybe then I can hear my passenger on the highway.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Blackdawgg posted:

I just discovered a quarter sized hole in my passenger floor pan. :( Time to remove all the carpet and see if there's any more anywhere else. The ECU cover was completely rusted out. Where does that water come from?

Either way once I fix the hole(s) it'd be a great time to get some of the knock-off dynamat to cover the floor and trunk. Maybe then I can hear my passenger on the highway.

Have you got AC?

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

meltie posted:

Have you got AC?

It is equipped but it hasn't worked in over a year.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's a convertible. If water hasn't leaked in or somebody hasn't been caught out in the rain in at at least once, they're full of poo poo.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

DreamOn13 posted:

It's a convertible. If water hasn't leaked in or somebody hasn't been caught out in the rain in at at least once, they're full of poo poo.

Yeah, it's coming in through the roof (helpful I know) or the heater matrix is leaking, which (on the NA) is behind the glovebox.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

I've had mine leak once or twice from the trim connecting the driver's side window and "roof."

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Day one of FM downpipe install is complete. Got 4/5 bolts loose so far in about 7 hours of work. Pain in the rear end, but I'm getting it done. I'm so spoiled from working on my BMW.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Did you soak them with pb blaster or kroil before you started? That stuff was mandatory doing anything on my 944.

Let me know how it sounds and feels when you're done, I'm looking forward to getting my downpipe and will probably go with the FM one.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Soaked overnight. Some of those bolts were just ridiculous. The top bolt ended up bringing its stud out with it, that's how tight the stupid bolts were. I had to make some CRAZY combinations of wobbles, swivels, extensions etc to get to everything. This is not a job to be approached lightly. I've done a lot of work on cars, and this is by far the most difficult job I've ever done. I would not recommend doing the job without a FULL set of tools, including sockets, extensions, swivels, pry bars, wrenches, and definitely an impact wrench. With the full suite of tools and an extra set of hands it took maybe 12 hours. Mazda really doesn't design cars to be worked on in the way that BMW does.

With all that said, I got the job done and the downpipe is great. My fiance drives the car most of the time and she could immediately tell the difference in power and sound. When I took it out, it didn't seem much different until I looked at the speedo. 0-100 mph takes..not a lot of time. The DP smooths out the revs so much that the car almost feels slower. Where boost used to kick in HARD at 4k, it now rolls on smoothly at 2600 and hits full boost by 3k or so. The noise is subtle but noticeable.

All in all, I definitely recommend the Flyin Miata Downpipe, but it's not a job for the faint of heart. The full intake kit will probably net more HP, but the downpipe is a good mod for someone that plans on adding other mods.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Did anyone else notice how utterly crappy the holiday sales were from the miata vendors this year? I remember Rspeed did a 20% sale last year and I bought a lot of poo poo, and this year there was plenty of nice deals on Subaru stuff, but I didn't see anything worth getting for the miata. They don't want our money.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
When I put the turbo on my 17 year old 1.6 I soaked everything for about a week w/ PB blaster while still driving it. Everything came off easily and without drama. I think the trick is to start soaking it a few days before and heat cycle the stuff.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I have also implemented the heat the poo poo out of it with a blow torch and wack it with a hammer a few times in a pinch but it does really help if you have the foresight to soak it for a few days. I never do.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is there any non ugly way to mount a front licence plate? The frankenbracket the PO had on was scratching the poo poo out of the front bumper and was mounted by 2 wildly different bolts that were rusted and bent. Got pulled over twice recently for not having a front plate, just warnings though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I broke a couple clips getting to the post-cat o2 sensor connector. The 5 clips that run across the back of the shelf. Where can I buy these? The dealer wanted $2 a piece and had to order them.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

Is there any non ugly way to mount a front licence plate? The frankenbracket the PO had on was scratching the poo poo out of the front bumper and was mounted by 2 wildly different bolts that were rusted and bent. Got pulled over twice recently for not having a front plate, just warnings though.
Yes, at least on the NA. There is a front plate holder that attaches to existing holes and it allows the plate to swing up and out of the way at speed.

http://www.thompson-automotive.com/Disappearing_plate.html

Appears they have one for the NB also.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Is the Mazdaspeed exhaust worth anything on the open market? It would help defray the costs of replacing the midpipe/resonator/muffler if I could re-sell the old exhaust.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

You can easily make a bracket that bolts onto the tie-down hooks out of cheap flat bar. Two bolts with large washers work great for holding it onto the hook.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

revmoo posted:

Is the Mazdaspeed exhaust worth anything on the open market? It would help defray the costs of replacing the midpipe/resonator/muffler if I could re-sell the old exhaust.

Yeah, NB folks will use them since they're just slightly louder than stock.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So what's the going rate for a 95M these days? My sister-in-law is thinking of selling hers since where she lives now, she simply never needs her own car. 112k miles, good shape but it has been in a couple smacks (always repaired properly, though...it's nice when the body shop knows that a 95M is not a $2k beater).

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I sold my 95M with 90k miles six months ago for $5000 easily, and I probably could have gotten another $500-1000 if I were patient. This is in the Seattle area.

It was in overall pretty nice shape for a 15 year old car, but certainly not flawless, and stock except for a Robbins glass top on it from 2007.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just to follow up my last question, turns out whipping the dipstick in and out really fast makes it much clearer and I can now see that I'm off the top of the gauge and into danger town. :v:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

My NB has the same issue where it seems pretty unsure of what the oil level is I'll have to try this next time. Seems a bit illogical though?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Pull out the stick dry it off, wait 5-10 minutes then check it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For gently caress's sake, if the squeaking clutch and only occasionally functional speedometer weren't enough on my 2003 1.8 NB, today the CEL came on. I filled up a full tank before parking at work, and it came on when I was driving from lunch.

Under these circumstances it seems possible that i didn't tighten the gas cap properly... I checked and it seemed fine, but I unscrewed and replaced it anyway. If it doesn't go away now, am I correct in suspecting the EGR next? My scanner hasn't arrived yet so I'm only guessing, and I don't know of any place that does a free scan. How do you guys generally proceed if CEL sudennly comes on without any other symptoms?