Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

dissss posted:

Yeah there have been a few high profile incidents in China recently that illustrate the importance of school bus safety (in particular not overloading them)

That design above looks weird though - why is the floor up so high? Seems like its just asking for trouble.

I don't know. Probably because that's the way it has always been done. Another thing is that they're all BoF and the axles are going to be so high because of the wheel diameter. Is the U.S. the only place that uses our sterotypical School Bus? If I see school kids in a movie from Britain, they're on a coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Skyssx posted:

Is the U.S. the only place that uses our sterotypical School Bus? If I see school kids in a movie from Britain, they're on a coach.

Everywhere else in the world I've been a bus is a bus - ones used for school aren't any different in design to any other. I think in most places legislation means buses must be accessible which essentially means low floors.

This is a typical design

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Where is the poster who does school bus autocross competitively at the national level? I need to be educated on the performance dynamics of various school bus designs.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Throatwarbler posted:

Where is the poster who does school bus autocross competitively at the national level? I need to be educated on the performance dynamics of various school bus designs.

I don't remember, but it was college-level so not a "school bus" as you would think of one, they were just buses that belonged to his school. I think.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Skyssx posted:

I've got no problem with school busses being the most durable things on the road. None.

They make water cooled welding suits?!

Sorta.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 15, 2011

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Skyssx posted:

They make water cooled welding suits?!

Yeah. They do, and the people that wear them don't get paid enough. Monday, we have a guy going into a live (hot) galvanizing pot to do some work. He'll be wearing a coolsuit and standing on a platform insulated by kaowool, but he'll be in a ~1000deg F pot ~16" above 3 feet of molten zinc.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
could you take video of that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

could you take video of that?

Probably looks like this:

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
same thing happened to my friend in H.S.

Teen Recovering After Crashing Into School Bus
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/2700571.html

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

Hypnolobster posted:

I've always sort of wondered why school busses don't have underride bars.

A big reason as well I would assume is that they just wouldn't have the clearance needed in a lot of situations. Ever been behind one of these and seen the exhaust pipe squished near flat? The rear overhang on them is massive and they go a lot of places that coach style buses wouldn't be capable. When I went to high school the exit ramp onto the road was pretty steep and it wasn't uncommon for the back end of the bus to scrape when it pulled out. The only way to remedy that would be to move the rear axle further back which would come with its own set of disadvantages.

And really, the majority of the times I've seen this happen is appears to be the fault of the person stuck under the bus. They are giant yellow bricks that do not normally travel very quickly, and very likely won't be out-braking anything else on the road. Most of these accidents seem to be people just not paying attention and slamming into these things while they are stopped, which could be avoided with a bit more situational awareness.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Marux posted:

And really, the majority of the times I've seen this happen is appears to be the fault of the person stuck under the bus. They are giant yellow bricks that do not normally travel very quickly, and very likely won't be out-braking anything else on the road. Most of these accidents seem to be people just not paying attention and slamming into these things while they are stopped, which could be avoided with a bit more situational awareness.

Or any situational awareness, really. It's an enormous yellow 12ft tall bus covered in flashing lights.

"Accidentally" hitting a school bus is on the same level as "accidentally" having sex with a transvestite.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Savington posted:

"Accidentally" hitting a school bus is on the same level as "accidentally" having sex with a transvestite.

Yea, it happened because you were drunk, stoned, stupid, or secretly like it but you told the cops you didn't know.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Probably looks like this:

Nah, it's pretty boring. Guy in a big silver fire suit with air and water lines going to it climbing down a ladder onto a platform ~6' below floor level, with a nice silvery puddle below him. As long as you don't fall in, it's just hot. Not sure they're going ahead with it though, might have to drain it due to the extent of the repairs needed. Not my department, though, so I only hear about how it's going to impact the schedule for the rest of the project.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hypnolobster posted:

I've always sort of wondered why school busses don't have underride bars.

I've seen them installed on some buses (or maybe semi-trucks?) and they consist of some 2" angle irons that would probably be good for stopping someone on a bicycle or perhaps a motorcycle, but anything with any kind of mass would just slow down about 1/2 mph while it bent so it would accomplish nothing. Almost like they are there more for letting the driver know he is up against something because he's getting a bit of resistance when he backs up.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

sanchez posted:

All you're missing are some references to bad beer and that'd be the most Australian post ever.
I'm as aussie as mate. Bad beer, nah gently caress that. Coopers for local beer, good stuff that ale, (Australia is useless at lagers). :D

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 15, 2011

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

JD Brickmeister posted:

I've seen them installed on some buses (or maybe semi-trucks?) and they consist of some 2" angle irons that would probably be good for stopping someone on a bicycle or perhaps a motorcycle, but anything with any kind of mass would just slow down about 1/2 mph while it bent so it would accomplish nothing. Almost like they are there more for letting the driver know he is up against something because he's getting a bit of resistance when he backs up.

if they're properly built they are generally a 2x3 or larger box tube with angle or C-channel vertical supports and angle bracing from the box tube up to the frame. They don't look like much, but they will ruin your poo poo in a hurry.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Fo3 posted:

I'm as aussie as mate. Bad beer, nah gently caress that. Coopers for local beer, good stuff that ale, (Australia is useless at lagers). :D

Have some microbrewery beers and you might change your tune.

Australia is going through some kind of beer renaissance right now, as long as you steer clear of the big breweries.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

KaiserBen posted:

Yeah. They do, and the people that wear them don't get paid enough. Monday, we have a guy going into a live (hot) galvanizing pot to do some work. He'll be wearing a coolsuit and standing on a platform insulated by kaowool, but he'll be in a ~1000deg F pot ~16" above 3 feet of molten zinc.

Jesus loving christ. That sounds really crazy to me.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The End posted:

Have some microbrewery beers and you might change your tune.

Australia is going through some kind of beer renaissance right now, as long as you steer clear of the big breweries.
Well ,anyway, enough about beer.
Two fatalities from exploding vans in Australia this week, both were fridgies.
The case mentioned before, no one knows why yet, oxy - acetylene cyclinders I've heard were intact. Maybe the guy did domestic fridges and had a cylinder of isobutane (r600a which is in newer domestic fridges sometimes) leaking, maybe he has 'hychill' in there (R290 ie propane that some use as an R22 replacement) could be some weird freak thing with a contaminated HFC refrigerant, or a pile of leaking MAPP gas cylinders?
Second case was definitely acetylene though.

Seriously, gently caress vans if you're a fridgie, get a ute!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 18, 2011

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

HEHEHE posted:

Speaking of tractor's losing their engine during a pull, this one does it literally:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsSVLZ6wCI&feature=related

and hes runs over it.. amazing

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wow, I always figured school buses were really flimsy and would just blow apart on a rear end impact like a box truck. They must build those things on one hell of a frame.

The only wrecks I've seen that make school buses look flimsy involved train locomotives.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

The only wrecks I've seen that make school buses look flimsy involved train locomotives.

Yeah, the reason they all look the same is that is basically the safest design. They do not gently caress around with bus safety as they have to keep the kids alive sans seatbelts.
I wouldn't be surprised for the reason for the lack of dot bars is to punish people for hitting a school bus.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
School bus vs vehicle crashes look pretty safe, because of that bigass frame all buses have. They look flimsy as gently caress in any rollover, though. The canopy just collapses sideways, every time.

Edit: for whatever reason, that's not the image I wanted to post. Oh well, just google "bus rollover." Pretty scary.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 18, 2011

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Beanbox posted:

and hes runs over it.. amazing

and hes replies to a post on the first page of a 143 page thread.. amazing

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

peepsalot posted:

and hes replies to a post on the first page of a 143 page thread.. amazing

To be fair, the same incident appeared in completely different video on the most recent page of the "Things You Find On Youtube" thread.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
We don't have a horrible structural failure thread, but oh well...\

:sigh:

Swallowed my pride, pulled over, and collected my rear bumper.

I loving HATE road salt. Rusted straight off... Just the bumper beam itself though, thankfully the mounting points are rock solid.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
How much more would it ACTUALLY cost to make the rust-prone components out of stainless steel instead?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Many times the original amount in a lot of cases. Stainless doesn't have a lot of the desirable working and welding properties that plain steel has. "Why don't they make the airplane out of the material they make the black box out of?" is a similar level question.

In a few parts you could use stainless, but mild is superior in quite a few ways.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Alereon posted:

How much more would it ACTUALLY cost to make the rust-prone components out of stainless steel instead?

The more pertinant question is: Why don't they rustproof COLLISION MITIGATION COMPONENTS better from the start? Think epoxy hot-dip or several cycles through a nonferrous metal plating bath (nickel?).

Up to the point it fell off (hit a frost heave bump on a lovely road) I had no indication there was anything wrong. I even sat on the bumper within the last month or so. Hit a bump, heard a thud, and then a plastic-on-asphalt dragging noise (not sure if it was better or worse than the "my exhaust is dragging" noise.) and I pulled over. Right side had completely given way, and left side was held on by some plastic screwclips by the wheel, and some rust. I unscrewed it and yanked it free.

Too bad somebody didn't tap my bumper in traffic or a parking lot. Coulda let their insurance buy me a new rear bumper beam.

:downsrim: I had a new in the foam-sheet rear bumper cover from when someone backed into me in 2004 and slightly puckered the one corner of the bumper and smashed out a tail light. Their insurance paid for my body shop estimate, and I directly purchased the tail light, and bumper cover. I installed the tail light, and left the bumper cover for "warmer months" but decided that I might as well hang on to it because the pucker wasn't that big a deal, and I quite literally purchased the LAST Honda Civic Wagovan rear bumper cover in Honda's US parts inventory. I put the extra "labor" money into a timing belt/water pump/head gasket job. So this poor bumper cover has lived in my mom's basement for 7 years. Since I was up in that part of the state when it FELL OFF I stopped in and grabbed it.

Any central PA goons with a garage want to let me rent it for an hour or two to swap it once the part hopefully arrives (it, too, could be the LAST ONE EVER.) All I have is a windy concrete parking lot... Unheated garage is perfectly fine, gently caress the wind.

On an unrelated note, since the bumper is off, I can now peer up into the "frame" box-channel things, and WOOHOO no rust!

:v::hf::clint: for "Any single part of this car can be CARRIED WITHIN this car" vehicles.

I'll post photos of the actual bumper rust carnage this week when its light out and above freezing...

EDIT!

AI Poll: Put new bumper cover on, save old one just in case vs. Put old one back on, continue lagering the virgin one.

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 19, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm aware that stainless isn't used because it's more expensive, but I'm interested in knowing how much it would actually add to the price of a vehicle. It seems obvious that the rust-prone components would be a small fraction of the vehicle's overall cost (with most of the cost going to the mechanical and electronic components), so even multiplying the cost of those steel components several times would result in a small increase as a percentage of the total cost.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
Over on the Subaru Legacy International forum, there's a thread where a guy talks about his new breaker bar, and how he was using it a bit too literally.

The best part is this response:

Garrison posted:

Gotta lay of the 'roids duder.

Does your hulking mass make it difficult to work inside the engine bay?

I've had a couple of regular 1/2" to 3/8" adapters go before, but those were cheap-rear end ones made in China. I can't imagine getting enough force to break an impact socket.

Sponge! posted:

I loving HATE road salt. Rusted straight off... Just the bumper beam itself though, thankfully the mounting points are rock solid.

Road salt sucks biblical amounts of rear end. My current car is missing a couple of bumper braces because they rusted and broke off, and the bottom part of my driver's side fender rusted through so badly that the force of me removing my headlight assembly caused it to snap.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is that a 3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter? I have effortlessly broken one of those with a small socket wrench.

No breaker bar or hulking roid rage needed, 1/4" is some weakass poo poo.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

peepsalot posted:

Is that a 3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter? I have effortlessly broken one of those with a small socket wrench.

No breaker bar or hulking roid rage needed, 1/4" is some weakass poo poo.

I think it's a 3/8" to 1/2".

I've broken tons of those things. Any reducer will always be the weakest point in the system, that's why the sell 1/2" sockets rather than using a reducer.

He's cheap, that's all.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The worst is when the road salt fucks up the captured nuts inside the frame rails/unibody. Holy poo poo does that escalate the level of repair quickly. :can:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Alereon posted:

It seems obvious that the rust-prone components would be a small fraction of the vehicle's overall cost

The "rust-prone" components (unibody, fasteners, panels) are actually a huge cost of a car. And stainless does not work for certain parts of the car due to it's stress and toughness profiles compared to other metals. Did you even read my post?

Anywhoo, something along the lines of a plating (though, you have to be careful there - embrittlement for certain ones) or coating would work better.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sponge! posted:

Any central PA goons with a garage want to let me rent it for an hour or two to swap it once the part hopefully arrives (it, too, could be the LAST ONE EVER.) All I have is a windy concrete parking lot... Unheated garage is perfectly fine, gently caress the wind.

I have an unheated garage in Middletown that you can use. You still have my number? Only problem is that it has a Suzuki Forenza (a.k.a. Daewoo Lacetti of star in a reasonably priced car fame) on jackstands in it until after new years.

And let me just say, that entire car is a horrible mechanical failure.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sponge! posted:

The more pertinant question is: Why don't they rustproof COLLISION MITIGATION COMPONENTS better from the start? Think epoxy hot-dip or several cycles through a nonferrous metal plating bath (nickel?).

Up to the point it fell off (hit a frost heave bump on a lovely road) I had no indication there was anything wrong. I even sat on the bumper within the last month or so. Hit a bump, heard a thud, and then a plastic-on-asphalt dragging noise (not sure if it was better or worse than the "my exhaust is dragging" noise.) and I pulled over. Right side had completely given way, and left side was held on by some plastic screwclips by the wheel, and some rust. I unscrewed it and yanked it free.

Too bad somebody didn't tap my bumper in traffic or a parking lot. Coulda let their insurance buy me a new rear bumper beam.

:downsrim: I had a new in the foam-sheet rear bumper cover from when someone backed into me in 2004 and slightly puckered the one corner of the bumper and smashed out a tail light. Their insurance paid for my body shop estimate, and I directly purchased the tail light, and bumper cover. I installed the tail light, and left the bumper cover for "warmer months" but decided that I might as well hang on to it because the pucker wasn't that big a deal, and I quite literally purchased the LAST Honda Civic Wagovan rear bumper cover in Honda's US parts inventory. I put the extra "labor" money into a timing belt/water pump/head gasket job. So this poor bumper cover has lived in my mom's basement for 7 years. Since I was up in that part of the state when it FELL OFF I stopped in and grabbed it.

On an unrelated note, since the bumper is off, I can now peer up into the "frame" box-channel things, and WOOHOO no rust!

:v::hf::clint: for "Any single part of this car can be CARRIED WITHIN this car" vehicles.

I'll post photos of the actual bumper rust carnage this week when its light out and above freezing...

EDIT!

AI Poll: Put new bumper cover on, save old one just in case vs. Put old one back on, continue lagering the virgin one.

Feel free to PM me. I have a garage (unheated) and compressor.

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

Sponge! posted:

We don't have a horrible structural failure thread, but oh well...\

:sigh:

Swallowed my pride, pulled over, and collected my rear bumper.

Oh man, my EF's bumper has been sagging for quite a while now. :ohdear:

I hope it doesn't part company any time soon. I've been meaning to go to a pick-n-pull and scrounge for an intact (yeah, right) bumper beam for ages, but I can never seem to make it out to one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I considered putting this in the youtube thread but I think it warrants some more mechanical failure sperging than,
:rant: "oh my gently caress you took your mustang to 130+ driving one handed (and videotaping) after you took off the limiter now you're bitching that it exploded..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9hEJHhw9hA&feature=player_embedded

":facepalm: Could have had a V8"

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
More like,

*bypasses built in safeties*

*complains when parts break at speeds they weren't engineered to be driven at*