Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY NEW PHANTOM!!
Jan 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXiQuUwTSsI
brand new video to Kondens - Flamingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Got it on wax, pretty good

I'm moving to a bigger city with smaller living spaces next month and as such, I will be ceasing my record collecting hobby. This is very good for my wallet but at the same time I'm all about music and having that physical manifestation of a track or album I really love is important to me. I'll probably have to keep sending the odd vinyl exclusive back home to rip during holidays.

Anywho, Surus continues to be a great resource. Got test presses of the new Jon Convex on Naked Lunch, which is pretty rude, and the new Knowing Looks single on WNCL Recordings. The first WNCL Knowing Looks single was one of my favorites of 2011 so I'm really psyched for the opportunity to get this one a bit early. The A is a bit house-ier than everything else he's done but the B is garage-y. WNCL is sort of a garage label.

*e - also while looking for a link to the Knowing Looks stream I came across a free (Christmas-themed) b-side he released for Sonic Router. This one is also house-y.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
Knowing looks' drum programming is so good it's actually quite annoying UURGGH

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

MY NEW PHANTOM!! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXiQuUwTSsI
brand new video to Kondens - Flamingo

Nice tune, nice video.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
GetDarker and Chestplate stuff have been pretty much ruling my playlists as of late.

Seems like every time Distance mentions Sleeper something deep, dark, and dope streams into my ear. I'm pretty much going to have to snag Zombies as soon as it releases.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
good news from kode9

take that vinyl factory/factmag.

edit: this is a jam (Dub Phizix and Skeptical feat Strategy - Marka)

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 9, 2011

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
If you're into American bass music and footwork you should check out the new Frite Nite podcast with Sines and DJ Wheez-ie:

http://www.fritenite.com/2011/12/06/podcast-012-sines-wheez-ie/

Sines and Wheez-ie have both put out some amazing tunes recently, so if you like this mix you should check out their productions too.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

a milk crime posted:

(Dub Phizix and Skeptical feat Strategy - Marka)

OOOOOOOOOFFFF

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Also I don't think the Belgian label Pelican Fly has come up in this thread yet. Definitely a label to watch if you're into trappy bass stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/pelicanfly

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This Matty G Back TO The Bay EP is really good, lots of deep vibes but can also get ruff when needed. Good example of an American producer doing it right. Also has a Matty G remix of a Subscape tune.

Additionally, I finally checked out the MikeQ Fade To Mind release and while I don't feel all the tracks, WOW do some of them blister, especially The Blaster Master and its remixes.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Dopo posted:

Also I don't think the Belgian label Pelican Fly has come up in this thread yet. Definitely a label to watch if you're into trappy bass stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/pelicanfly

Good poo poo here, thanks for the heads up.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

a milk crime posted:

this is a jam (Dub Phizix and Skeptical feat Strategy - Marka)

This is crazy good and the video is mesmerizing to say the least.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
here's yer history lesson for today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/dec/09/10-classic-club-nights?intcmp=ILCMUSTXT9388

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

That link is worth it even just for the link to this Sidewinder set. Sidewinder CD packs were the holy grail to me when I was younger. I really regret only being able to pick up a couple at the time now as they're pretty hard to find nowadays. They were always expensive though. I think I even had one or two on cassette tape as well. Remember those days, big case with the plastic vac packed insides, mental and totally crap.

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011
I strongly urge anyone interested in footwork to check out this mix DJ Rashad did for the Wire:
http://soundcloud.com/djrashadteklife/the-wire-mix-snip-12-dj-rashad

Footwork remix of Battle For Middle You, what

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
The recent Just Jam episode with Spinn and Rashad is amazing as well: http://dontwatchthat.tv/2011/10/27/just-jam-028-dj-rashad-7-dj-spinn/

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
The Jackmaster RA Podcast is ill beyond ill.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

a milk crime posted:

The Jackmaster RA Podcast is ill beyond ill.

Glad to see that interview too. I didn't see him on the official SXSW lineup so I bet he'll play some unofficial shows, which is a-ok with me. I saw that XXXY will be playing the festival too. Hope to hear plenty of good bass music there this year.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.

a milk crime posted:

This is most likely a clip from the new EP, tune called Ashtray Wasp, played last night on Rinse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EHqrJOodpk

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

An0 posted:

This is most likely a clip from the new EP, tune called Ashtray Wasp, played last night on Rinse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EHqrJOodpk

Yeah. All of the clips are getting taken down. Probably will be easier just to listen to Scratcha's Hyperdub show here

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer
In case anyone on the western side of the Atlantic missed it, Skreamizm Vol. 6 dropped on Monday, and to celebrate, Tempa has released Skreamizms 1-5 on digital format for $11 total, which is great for people in the States like me who don't have an electronic music record shop within 100 miles.

Apparently re-presses of Skreamizms 1-5 are also in record shops in the UK now as well.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Styliferous posted:

In case anyone on the western side of the Atlantic missed it, Skreamizm Vol. 6 dropped on Monday, and to celebrate, Tempa has released Skreamizms 1-5 on digital format for $11 total, which is great for people in the States like me who don't have an electronic music record shop within 100 miles.

Apparently re-presses of Skreamizms 1-5 are also in record shops in the UK now as well.

Vol. 4 is probably some of my favorite tunes by Skream.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I made a vinyl mix and I'd like to share it .wav form. Does anyone know of good site for uploading 400mb files?

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

TWSS posted:

I made a vinyl mix and I'd like to share it .wav form. Does anyone know of good site for uploading 400mb files?

You can upload it to soundcloud if it is less than two hours. Mixcloud also has unlimited upload limits. If you don't like either of those, then megaupload/multiupload. Though to be honest, I'd never listen to a wav of a mix.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Vol. 4 is probably some of my favorite tunes by Skream.

Ain't no Volume 2 :colbert:

Vol 3 was disappointing, for no other reason other than it had my second worst pet peeve in the world: A double pack with only four tracks. Just whack it on a single plate and sell it cheaper. Of course my worst pet peeve is an EP with five tracks. NO! An EP is four tracks dammit! Four! Not five! Fource! Maybe if the fifth track is an acapella or something I can let it slide, but four tracks. That's like the law, literally.

Oh and good news folks for those who like that 2004/2005 and old Horsepower sound. Benny Ill (Of Horsepower fame) dropped a bunch of unsold records down to Soul Jazz/SOTU for us to buy. Luckily I've long since owned the Goldspot releases, but I did bag an old Techno thing he did from years ago. Very nice indeed. Christmas is for giving(to yourself)

http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=26459
http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=26460
http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=26516

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Ain't no Volume 2 :colbert:

Vol 3 was disappointing, for no other reason other than it had my second worst pet peeve in the world: A double pack with only four tracks. Just whack it on a single plate and sell it cheaper.

Gotta strongly disagree with you there. I hate multiple tracks on one side. Of course that comes from DJing and life being much easier when you just have one tune per side, but still, it's so loving fiddly to find a particular place in a tune when they're all crammed into a tiny space. Also forgetting to change it to 33rpm always gets me.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Anae posted:

Gotta strongly disagree with you there. I hate multiple tracks on one side. Of course that comes from DJing and life being much easier when you just have one tune per side, but still, it's so loving fiddly to find a particular place in a tune when they're all crammed into a tiny space. Also forgetting to change it to 33rpm always gets me.

Hah you can always spot the ex-D&B folk. Honestly kids nowadays, complain about everything! Why in my day...

In other news I really should remember to check past the first item or two on the Rubadub mailouts as I notice Numbers last release of the year is out. The Redinho track is doing nowt for me, but I'm digging the Sibian & Faun cut I'm Sorry. Sounds nice.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Hah you can always spot the ex-D&B folk. Honestly kids nowadays, complain about everything! Why in my day...

Metalheadz Tin Box set :colbert:

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Metalheadz Tin Box set :colbert:

I've only got the CD version, I'm such a fraud! :negative: I'll close down the thread now and commit harikari so as not to shame my family even more.

Wait hang on a minute! It's a good job I checked Discogs before getting out the ol' katana, that's not just one cut per side! Wait does that mean I win? Was there something to win? Man I'm confused now. Neptune and Warrior Jazz do get a side to themselves though, the latter really does deserve it.

Either way it does remind me if I ever start a record label(like I wish I did years ago when I ended up with some extra cash on my hands) some poo poo will be released in a metal box.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

a milk crime posted:

Though to be honest, I'd never listen to a wav of a mix.

Why would that be? Did you just say you'd never listen to a non-compressed version of digital audio, or did I misunderstand you and you meant you'd only listen to mixes live at shows?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Das Butterbrot posted:

Why would that be? Did you just say you'd never listen to a non-compressed version of digital audio, or did I misunderstand you and you meant you'd only listen to mixes live at shows?

I figure he means having a wav as the source of a hosted, online mix(i.e. Soundcloud) is a bit overkill in general, given the fact 99% of the time it's just going to be played on a computer so a 320kb thing is good enough. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Soundcloud or wherever chops it down to an mp3 and compresses it down anyhow.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I've only got the CD version, I'm such a fraud! :negative: I'll close down the thread now and commit harikari so as not to shame my family even more.

Wait hang on a minute! It's a good job I checked Discogs before getting out the ol' katana, that's not just one cut per side! Wait does that mean I win? Was there something to win? Man I'm confused now. Neptune and Warrior Jazz do get a side to themselves though, the latter really does deserve it.

Either way it does remind me if I ever start a record label(like I wish I did years ago when I ended up with some extra cash on my hands) some poo poo will be released in a metal box.

I haven't pulled it off the shelf in a while, but I thought the dnb tunes were single sided, while the non-dnb stuff was two per side?

Also, in the states there used to be a mixed tape company called Bulletproof, based out of Pittsburgh (which was a major part of dnb in the U.S. with their Steel City Jungle weekly that ended in '99). Anyways, their packaging was a custom cardboard case they had a cut or something made. They did a limited edition release in '97 or '98 that was a Dieselboy mixtape called 'The Director's Cut', in a tiny metal tin, and included an old school movie ticket. A year or two later they did a promo package for DJ Sine, which was a Krylon can with a Bulletproof logo, a mixtape and then a mini pantone book with Sine's bio info, plus MC Dub2's info.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

I haven't pulled it off the shelf in a while, but I thought the dnb tunes were single sided, while the non-dnb stuff was two per side?

Also, in the states there used to be a mixed tape company called Bulletproof, based out of Pittsburgh (which was a major part of dnb in the U.S. with their Steel City Jungle weekly that ended in '99). Anyways, their packaging was a custom cardboard case they had a cut or something made. They did a limited edition release in '97 or '98 that was a Dieselboy mixtape called 'The Director's Cut', in a tiny metal tin, and included an old school movie ticket. A year or two later they did a promo package for DJ Sine, which was a Krylon can with a Bulletproof logo, a mixtape and then a mini pantone book with Sine's bio info, plus MC Dub2's info.

Now all we get for mixtapes is a bloody mp3 file.

And nope the Metalheadz boxset was two per side apparently. Makes sense since it's a 2CD set in that version. Though that'd be something, 10 vinyl boxset. Maybe you're thinking of the MDZ series stuff?

And I didn't know the Metalheadz boxset came in a sleeve as well. How disappointing would that be. You go to the shop and ask for it, then they reply,"Oh we sold out of the metal box, but we have a cardboard sleeve version". Free slipmatts be damned I'd want a metalbox.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Das Butterbrot posted:

lol

By "mix" I didn't mean "mixdown." I mean like, a "DJ Mix." Why would I want to download 400 megs of a mix to listen to probably once and then delete? I can't tell the difference between wav and 320 anyway. So yeah, you're right, even though you've equivocated "dj mix" and "mixdown" (which, if you paid attention, I was talking about a DJ Mix), you happened to say something true, because I don't care if its an mp3 or a wav. They sound the same to me above 192kbps.

Also 28gbb, soundcloud in their streamer just cuts it down to 128kbps. You can still download the full wav.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
When you stream a tune on soundcloud it gets compressed, so uploading a wav prevents the user from hearing a transcode, but no one wants to actually download the wav source. I've seen people upload wavs to soundcloud and then provide a link to a 320 download. That gives you the best of both worlds.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I figure he means having a wav as the source of a hosted, online mix(i.e. Soundcloud) is a bit overkill in general, given the fact 99% of the time it's just going to be played on a computer so a 320kb thing is good enough. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Soundcloud or wherever chops it down to an mp3 and compresses it down anyhow.

Everything Maguro/Chump Change posts on his Soundcloud is WAV. I have to convert 'em to MP3 just so I can listen to them outside of my laptop. (NOTE TO MAGURO: This is not me bitching about your methods. You're just the only person I subscribe to that does that, is all.)

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Riot.EXE posted:

Everything Maguro/Chump Change posts on his Soundcloud is WAV. I have to convert 'em to MP3 just so I can listen to them outside of my laptop. (NOTE TO MAGURO: This is not me bitching about your methods. You're just the only person I subscribe to that does that, is all.)

I do it for the reason that Dopo stated, when I uploaded in mp3 I would get tons of transcoding errors that made the tunes sound like trash. I was thinking about adding an mp3 link in the comment section but I never really got around to it. I guess I will start doing it from now on though, my friends in Estonia were complaining that it takes forever for them to download a tune haha.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Maguro posted:

I do it for the reason that Dopo stated, when I uploaded in mp3 I would get tons of transcoding errors that made the tunes sound like trash. I was thinking about adding an mp3 link in the comment section but I never really got around to it. I guess I will start doing it from now on though, my friends in Estonia were complaining that it takes forever for them to download a tune haha.

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask...is your screen name here a reference to the Sega Genesis game, "Ristar"?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

The latest Electronic Explorations features a cracking mix by Trevino. It's comprised mostly of his unreleased tracks, and a few bangers from the likes of Martyn and Peter van Hoesen.

http://electronicexplorations.org/the-show/178-trevino/

I hope 'Derelict' sees a release soon. I heard something about it coming out in 2012. [NakedLunch] are killing it at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Hey Maguro, I've run into your tunes a couple times on different forums now. Looks like you're doin something right, great job dude.

• Locked thread