Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

oldpainless posted:

I THINK it was the highest non-WrestleMania PPV they've ever had.

All I remember is (I think) it worked out that PPV covered WWE's costs in purchasing WCW.

Not that it was a vast fortune anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

triplexpac posted:

If you can forget what COULD have been, the Invasion was a pretty fun time. Lots of new stars, new matchups, it's certainly better than what we have now.

Gave me one of my favorite wrestling moments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBaREV0zVw

Then the next week, the bankruptcy courts said the WWE couldn't use ECW because the process was still ongoing, and we got the Alliance and Stephanie McMahon owning ECW.

drat. So close...

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Sod trying to find a way to book the Invasion better, I'm trying like hell to think of a way to book the Invasion worse.

It could have been done much worse in many ways. We get really caught up in "what might have been," but they did, at least, an acceptable job.

CobiWann posted:

Gave me one of my favorite wrestling moments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBaREV0zVw

Then the next week, the bankruptcy courts said the WWE couldn't use ECW because the process was still ongoing, and we got the Alliance and Stephanie McMahon owning ECW.

I don't know which stories you're confusing, but Stephanie was announced as ECW's owner the same night as that video, not the week after.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

triplexpac posted:

If you can forget what COULD have been, the Invasion was a pretty fun time. Lots of new stars, new matchups, it's certainly better than what we have now.
Yeah, I re-watched it last year. Watching it back and knowing wha5t to expect makes it much more enjo7yable, plus seeing match ups you never would have without the absorbing of ECW and WCW is enjoyable in it's self.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I loved that DDP/Taker storyline, for better or worse. Such a cool use of DDP.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

tzirean posted:

I don't know which stories you're confusing, but Stephanie was announced as ECW's owner the same night as that video, not the week after.

Oh, yeah, you're right, at the very end of the show. I guess I blacked it out. Seeing her walk out, passing her Dad with that smirk on her face, just KILLED my buzz.

Maybe it was the next week they dropped ECW and started calling it "The Alliance."

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I still can't get it. DDP has his own hot wife and he's stalking that...thing? Sara Taker reminds me of my 10th grade English teacher.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Did they ever say why they gave DDP such a weird character? Was it his idea? Seems strange to bring him in as the opposite of what people loved him for.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

RoleModel posted:

I still can't get it. DDP has his own hot wife and he's stalking that...thing? Sara Taker reminds me of my 10th grade English teacher.

And the next person Taker married debuted as a teacher. I think we've found his taste...

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Maybe it was the next week they dropped ECW and started calling it "The Alliance."

I don't remember how short it was, but there was a period when they just didn't know what they were calling it. It was "The Coalition" briefly, I think, between finding out that they weren't on solid ground with the ECW name and definitively choosing "Alliance."

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

triplexpac posted:

I wonder how things would have went if they just held off on the Invasion for a couple years until they were ready to bring in all the big stars. I think it would have still done well, it's not like people immediately forgot about WCW when it died.

For all we poo poo on it, didn't the actual Invasion PPV do really well?

oh, it did exceptionally well financially. It even had a couple of good matches (RVD/Jeff Hardy was very entertaining).

However, after that, they had fast diminishing returns.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

flashy_mcflash posted:

really? They take one of the most over guys in WCW, a guy who got a monumental pop when he unveiled himself, and they job him out to The Undertaker's wife?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lamuella posted:

really? They take one of the most over guys in WCW, a guy who got a monumental pop when he unveiled himself, and they job him out to The Undertaker's wife?

They never actually had a match. It was a "confrontation" at the ppv and DDP didn't get in any offense.

The best part of the thing was the stalker video had distorted audio which was someone going into windows audio recorder and lowering the pitch or speed by a few notches. Scott Keith's website undid this and posted the audio to reveal it was Vince McMahon and WWE legal jumped down his throat.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Moose Bigelow posted:

The best part of the thing was the stalker video had distorted audio which was someone going into windows audio recorder and lowering the pitch or speed by a few notches. Scott Keith's website undid this and posted the audio to reveal it was Vince McMahon and WWE legal jumped down his throat.

This reminds me: Kaientai's dubbed voice is Shane McMahon :aaa:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

I stopped watching wrestling for about a year and a half-two years, and I missed the Invasion. :smith:

People keep telling me it's terrible, but I just don't want to believe.

Well then you're in luck! This guy on youtube has uploaded every single segment from The Invasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCbtkBeLs7Y

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

The invasion force consists of Kweewee, Disco Inferno, Reno, David Flair, Hail, Prince Ikeaua, Nasty Brian Knobbs, Jerry Flynn, Ron and Don Harris and Shark Boy.

So basically, the WCW Invasion with the Nexus? :downsrim:

triplexpac posted:

It was a terrible time, watching the only major wrestling company in North America make decisions even grade schoolers could do better.

Seriously. Toss a kid every action figure from the Invasion years and tell him to play it out in a WWE ring. He or she will likely come up with a better story with stronger sound effects.

I like to explain to non-wrestling fans that the reason the WWF changed their name was due to embarrassment from the Invasion story. It's not true but it might as well be.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Lone Rogue posted:

It was a terrible time, watching the only major wrestling company in North America make decisions even grade schoolers could do better.

Seriously. Toss a kid every action figure from the Invasion years and tell him to play it out in a WWE ring. He or she will likely come up with a better story with stronger sound effects.

I like to explain to non-wrestling fans that the reason the WWF changed their name was due to embarrassment from the Invasion story. It's not true but it might as well be.

Again, if you completely forget about what a WCW invasion SHOULD look like, I think the Invasion storyline was fun.

It brought in a bunch of new faces, realigned a bunch of guys who were getting boring, and provided a lot of new matches.

It's the equivalent of a big crossover event in comic books. Sometimes they flop, but at least it's something new and fresh. Wrestling is really missing that nowadays.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Again, if you completely forget about what a WCW invasion SHOULD look like, I think the Invasion storyline was fun.

It brought in a bunch of new faces, realigned a bunch of guys who were getting boring, and provided a lot of new matches.

It's the equivalent of a big crossover event in comic books. Sometimes they flop, but at least it's something new and fresh. Wrestling is really missing that nowadays.

See, Austin was fun. Angle was fun. Vince was fun at times. Planet Stasiak was fun.

But most of it was not fun. When you put that much talent in the ring you're eventually going to accidentally get something good. But this was not wrestling at its best.

Also, I hate big comic crossover events. They tend to suck hard. Civil War was such a disappointment.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah you're probably right. I'm just so intensely bored with the WWE lately that I long for the days of big dramatic storylines. Some guys haven't changed one bit since 2005 or earlier, it's a bit mind boggling when you think about it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I emailed Meltzer and he replied that Invasion got 775,000 buys.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RoleModel posted:

Wasn't the impetus that he was just trying to get under Undertaker's skin and put him at a disadvantage (worst plan ever, for how it turned out)? I dunno, I thought it was an interesting and temporary wrinkle to DDP's character because I always saw him as being pretty smarmy. I'd neither poo poo on this nor Dude Love, who also subverted everything people liked about Cactus/Mankind.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Ugh I was so pissed off at that DDP / Undertaker "confrontation" at KOTR.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I emailed Meltzer and he replied that Invasion got 775,000 buys.

Biggest selling non wrestlemania event in WWE history, in spite of their horrible booking.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

For comparison, Survivor Series 2001 (the Invasion blowoff) did 450,000, huge for today but 325,000 less than Invasion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I wonder what a "dream card" of stuff like Austin vs Goldberg and Undertaker vs Sting would have done in place of the Invasion PPV.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I wonder what a "dream card" of stuff like Austin vs Goldberg and Undertaker vs Sting would have done in place of the Invasion PPV.

You'd probably be able to remove the "non wrestlemania" bit from my earlier post, I can tell you that. In different hands the Invasion angle could have gone on for a year, maybe longer and they would have made incredible amounts of money. But instead we got Vince killing it within a month and making it WWE guys Vs other WWE guys in Stephanie McMahon's faction.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Is there a website that shows PPV buys so we can compare them to Invasion? I googled but couldn't find anything. How did it compare to Wrestlemania's around that time?

Edit: found this site that has buyrates anyway: http://www.genickbruch.com/statistiken/buyrates.html

Invasion did 1.63, Wrestlemania did 2.15 that year.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I never understood why they changed the WCW logo for the invasion angle.

it looks like some sort of weird hybrid of the previous two logos.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Gonzo McFee posted:

You'd probably be able to remove the "non wrestlemania" bit from my earlier post, I can tell you that. In different hands the Invasion angle could have gone on for a year, maybe longer and they would have made incredible amounts of money. But instead we got Vince killing it within a month and making it WWE guys Vs other WWE guys in Stephanie McMahon's faction.

They panicked after the flop that was the WCW debut on RAW at Tacoma,WA. People left in droves during the main event and the ones who did stay poo poo all over it. The next week's Raw in Atlanta had a years worth of angles condensed into two hours. Dreamer/RVD show up, why are they here, is anyone from wwe or wcw on their side, who is the mastermind behind all this, what will happen to wwe, and at least a dozen more twists and turns that were vaporized because Vince panicked and Stephanie rushed the story

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wasn't WCW using the red logo for a while before WWF bought them? I could've sworn I saw the red logo on the old WCW website.

e: apparently not.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 15, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

They panicked after the flop that was the WCW debut on RAW at Tacoma,WA. People left in droves during the main event and the ones who did stay poo poo all over it. The next week's Raw in Atlanta had a years worth of angles condensed into two hours. Dreamer/RVD show up, why are they here, is anyone from wwe or wcw on their side, who is the mastermind behind all this, what will happen to wwe, and at least a dozen more twists and turns that were vaporized because Vince panicked and Stephanie rushed the story

As I like to remind everyone, the week after this Raw was IN loving ATLANTA, GEORGIA.

Even if you think WCW as babyfaces taking over Raw willingly for a main event is bad, at least do it ATLANTA loving GEORGIA.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Astro7x posted:

I never understood why they changed the WCW logo for the invasion angle.

it looks like some sort of weird hybrid of the previous two logos.

I'm guessing it was designed when they had plans of making WCW it's own brand with it's own show. When those plans got scrapped they decided to at least use the logo they spent time designing.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I thought the red logo was cool, better than the scratch logo by a long shot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wonder why they panicked so bad. I could understand maybe nowadays because they're so desperate to strike gold they dont want to wait for a slow burn type of storyline but back in 01 they were super-popular in so many ways you'd think they'd not blow their wad in a knee-jerk reaction. Its not like they were on the verge of bankruptcy and the next PPV had to keep them alive.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

As I like to remind everyone, the week after this Raw was IN loving ATLANTA, GEORGIA.

Even if you think WCW as babyfaces taking over Raw willingly for a main event is bad, at least do it ATLANTA loving GEORGIA.

And don't bet the farm on Buff loving Bagwell.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

And don't bet the farm on Buff loving Bagwell.

WCW fans loved Buff Daddy. As loving dumb as it was to pit WCW as the babyfaces because Vince was a heel and Shane was a face against the WWF, at least if you're doing a "Raw is Nitro", do it in Atlanta, GA. Even if Booker and Bagwell stunk up the joint, you'll still get WCW fans eating it up.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

WCW fans loved Buff Daddy. As loving dumb as it was to pit WCW as the babyfaces because Vince was a heel and Shane was a face against the WWF, at least if you're doing a "Raw is Nitro", do it in Atlanta, GA. Even if Booker and Bagwell stunk up the joint, you'll still get WCW fans eating it up.

They didn't stink up the joint but they could have put on a 4*+ match and people would not have cared. If I paid money to see Austin/Rock etc and was given Buff vs Booker T with no build as a main event I would boo or leave too.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

They didn't stink up the joint but they could have put on a 4*+ match and people would not have cared. If I paid money to see Austin/Rock etc and was given Buff vs Booker T with no build as a main event I would boo or leave too.

"Make WCW Babyfaces" is one of the first things the WWE screwed up. You don't make them babyfaces.

God, it was so hosed up from the start. I blame XFL as well.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Moose Bigelow posted:

It was also weird watching that match on TV because the announcers were Scott Hudson and for some reason Arn Anderson.

Again, I hate to get all wistful for what could have been, but Tony Schiavone announcing on Raw would have been a crazy moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

I blame Vince Russo for spending the previous two years destroying most of WCW's value.