Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

stubblyhead posted:

Hmm, that may work... Link?

http://www.rdio.com/#/management/subscriptions/

but he got the percentages flipped. It's $10 for one, $18 for two, $23 for three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

but he got the percentages flipped. It's $10 for one, $18 for two, $23 for three.

Ah, crap. That's barely worth a drat, then. Sorry.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, that's not nearly as good. Thanks for looking it up for me though! :cheers:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
They finally upgraded the radio:

quote:

Discover the new Spotify Radio
December 9, 2011, 04:07
Get ready for an amazing radio experience. Unlimited stations, unlimited skips – that’s the new Spotify Radio.

You can be the DJ and skip between stations and tracks, or choose a station and just go with the flow. If you like what you hear, you can save the song to a playlist or play it again on demand.

To get started
Starting a radio station is easy. Click “Start Artist Radio” at the top of any artist page or just drag a track to “Radio” in the left sidebar. Spotify will make a radio station of similar music. Then sit back. Or dance about. Your station will keep playing music based on your initial choice, it’s endless. And there’s no limit to the number of stations you can create.

A unique radio experience
Thanks to our all-new intelligent recommendation engine and multi-million track library, Spotify Radio is a music discovery experience without equal.

Unlimited skips
Don’t like a track? Skip it. You can skip as many times as you like. It’s your radio station.

We’ll be starting to roll out this brand new radio along with Spotify Apps in the next few days. Can’t wait? Then we have a preview version available for you here.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

So will it basically be Pandora?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tre Past Cool! posted:

So will it basically be Pandora?
Pandora with unlimited skips (which seem to be necessary since it doesn't sound like it learns from what you tell it you do or don't like).

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I'm testing the new radio right now but they have to tweak it a bit. Made a station based on The Mama's & The Papa's - California Dreaming, but it gave me certain songs multiple times within an hour of listening, like Bowie's Life on Mars, Simon & Garfunkels Sound of Silence and the Beach Boys' God Only Knows. Skipping through the songs gives me actually quite a limited selection of songs it just repeats.

Maybe it's because i made the station based on one song instead of an artist, but at the moment its perhaps an improvement over their earlier radio, but in no way a replacement of Pandora. But it's still in beta, so i hope they'll improve it before the official release.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
The new preview version is great and I love being able to see what my friends are listening to right there in the app and I can listen to it as well. The next step would be to have a 'listen along with a friend' feature so I just hear whatever they choose to play.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I only played with it for about 15 minutes (of mostly clicking Skip) and so far it doesn't really look like the song matters much, if at all. Using the Rolling Stones as an example, you'd think "Wild Horses", "Happy", "Emotional Rescue", and "The Harlem Shuffle" would produce significantly different playlists, but they really don't.

VALIS666
Jan 15, 2007

Fnord!

NOBEARD posted:

Premium 'enhanced' is Ogg Vorbis q9, approx 320 kbps.

Are you sure about that? It really doesn't sound half that good. In fact, as much as I love Spotify (and Rhapsody), I've gone back to my own mp3 files (of average bit rates, no FLAC here) because the sound I get from Spotify and Rhapsody is so disappointing in comparison.

Maybe the Spotify client is just a lovely music player, I don't know.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Im unable to hear any difference between the high quality streaming Spotify offers and LAME v0-encoded mp3's. Guess i just have lovely ears. :shobon:

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

VALIS666 posted:

Are you sure about that? It really doesn't sound half that good. In fact, as much as I love Spotify (and Rhapsody), I've gone back to my own mp3 files (of average bit rates, no FLAC here) because the sound I get from Spotify and Rhapsody is so disappointing in comparison.

I'm can't be 100% sure, but it's what Spotify themselves say they're using http://www.spotify.com/no/help/faq/tech/#codec-quality

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've never noticed any major difference between Spotify and mp3's but my hearing is not the greatest. However the stream does crap out from time to time which is annoying. Generally I've gone back to my own mp3's at home, but Spotify is still great for work.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

VALIS666 posted:

I have premium and RME converters + Adam studiomonitors, I think this is mostly in your head? I hear no difference between storebought 320 and the stream.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

sweek0 posted:

The new preview version is great and I love being able to see what my friends are listening to right there in the app and I can listen to it as well. The next step would be to have a 'listen along with a friend' feature so I just hear whatever they choose to play.
What they really need (and I'm guessing someone is probably working on this as a Spotify App because it's pretty obvious) is something akin to turntable.fm, I would kill for that.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

het posted:

What they really need (and I'm guessing someone is probably working on this as a Spotify App because it's pretty obvious) is something akin to turntable.fm, I would kill for that.
I think the Soundrop app is supposed to become that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Charlie Mopps posted:

I think the Soundrop app is supposed to become that.
Yeah, I'd noticed it though currently it's just like "listen to a playlist", right?

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Am I just retarded or can you no longer choose multiple genres when launching a radio station?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Cart posted:

Am I just retarded or can you no longer choose multiple genres when launching a radio station?

I've been wondering this too, it's annoying that a nice feature was taken away.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Still works for me..

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
^^^Are you using the new client, the one with the apps?

Can't seem to get it working either.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Turambar posted:

^^^Are you using the new client, the one with the apps?

Can't seem to get it working either.

Yep, upgraded to the new one with apps, some of which are really cool (Songkick, Pitchfork). Let's hope it's just a temporary omission.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

This recently launched in Belgium but one's unable to use it without Facebook integration. gently caress this poo poo.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Is there any way to browse your FB friends list in the new spotify? I can't seem to find it.

edit: nm, fixed it.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 19, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

nosophoros posted:

This recently launched in Belgium but one's unable to use it without Facebook integration. gently caress this poo poo.

Just make a fake facebook account, problem solved.

edit: VVVV Yeah, you show em!:argh:

Chinook fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 19, 2011

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Chinook posted:

Just make a fake facebook account, problem solved.

Yeah I know but that's not gonna happen.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nosophoros posted:

Yeah I know but that's not gonna happen.

It takes like two minutes at the most.

Although IMO the social features are pretty cool. It's dumb that they try force everyone to opt-in, but still.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

They were a bit too happy with showing every single song i listen to on my facebook and my friends' wall. I really do not like apps or sites to spam my facebook, no matter how much they try to push it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

They were a bit too happy with showing every single song i listen to on my facebook and my friends' wall. I really do not like apps or sites to spam my facebook, no matter how much they try to push it.

It only shows it in that side feed crap or as one big post. Not that bothersome in my eyes.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Anyone else getting 404 errors when signing in on the beta?

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

No 404, but a looonnngggg time to actually connect. The Radio feature was saying "Radio cannot be used while offline" or some such. Finally connected after about a minute though.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
I updated to the new version and now the thing crashes on me every other time I open it.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Is there a way to have it update to Facebook in the little profile box on my profile, but NOT on the sidebar newsfeed? I want to have a little bit of an e-penis and show people what I've been listening to, but at the same time all my friends say "loving TURN THAT poo poo OFF IT UPDATES MY NEWSFEED EVERY FOUR MINUTES, YOU LIKE LISTENING TO JUSTICE, WE GET IT".

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Trying Spotify's free trial for the month. Can you really not create new playlists on the phone itself? I can't manipulate individual songs from my library, and when I can add a song, it's only to an existing playlist.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

Can you really not create new playlists on the phone itself?

Yes, you can. When you are playing a track, hit the "i" button in the upper right corner. Then hit "Add to..." which takes you to the list of existing playlists. When you get to this list hit the "+" button in the upper right hand corner. This creates a new playlist starting with that song.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I basically put my Zune HD out of commission. And I very dearly love the Zune Pass. But seeing that Microsoft is phasing out the physical Zune players. I'm thinking of switiching to Spotify Premium + iPod Touch.

How does Premium compare to the Zune pass? Seems like they are pretty similar but I would like to hear from someone who has used both services.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Earwicker posted:

Yes, you can. When you are playing a track, hit the "i" button in the upper right corner. Then hit "Add to..." which takes you to the list of existing playlists. When you get to this list hit the "+" button in the upper right hand corner. This creates a new playlist starting with that song.

Figured it out. Can't create a playlist from a seed song, but can build a new, empty playlist and add to it. (Android, Earwicker's suggestion doesn't apply).

EDIT: On the Zune question, it's extremely similar as a model... down to the wifi sync. Despite some gripes, I really like that it doesn't distinguish between my local library and my cloud files, which was a great part of the zune ecosystem. I haven't used Zune or the pass since the first generation, so I can't give UI details, unfortunately.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 3, 2012

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Sorry, but it's really dumb that you have to be playing a song to add it to a playlist. It defeats the whole point of building a playlist on your mobile device.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

Sorry, but it's really dumb that you have to be playing a song to add it to a playlist. It defeats the whole point of building a playlist on your mobile device.

Yes it's annoying and bad design, but it doesn't take that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Earwicker posted:

Yes it's annoying and bad design, but it doesn't take that long.

It's not a question of time. Like you said, it's bad design. It also eliminates the ability to multitask (listening to music, or even separate podcasts, while setting up a playlist).

In practice (at least how I use these services), it's kind of a large failing. I've got thirty days, but Rdio may win out ultimately.

• Locked thread