Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Does Tifa's weapon actually stay useful when you're not pouring Hero Drinks down her throat like water? I'm always wary of combinations that require a character to be at death's door and also with a time limit on their head to deal "pretty good" damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Schwartzcough posted:

Does Tifa's weapon actually stay useful when you're not pouring Hero Drinks down her throat like water? I'm always wary of combinations that require a character to be at death's door and also with a time limit on their head to deal "pretty good" damage.

It's still an 8x multiplier, and depending on the rest of your party and items you have, worst case scenario you just throw a Phoenix down and a minor cure on her. She'll be revived, in the yellow and ready to receive Death Sentence again. Rinse. Repeat. Hell, throw a phoenix materia on her, let her do half the work herself.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zom Aur posted:

Is this true? I thought that you needed another kind of counter materia to actually be able to link it with a command. I seem to remember trying it with this standard kind and it didn't work.

I could very well be wrong though.

Oh, and minor detail, I think the first level has a 20% chance of counter, not 30.

I think you're confusing Counterattack with Counter. The latter is the one that activates linked Command materia, and is the one we picked up here.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Paracelsus posted:

I think you're confusing Counterattack with Counter. The latter is the one that activates linked Command materia, and is the one we picked up here.

Actually you're all wrong. That's a typo in the game and he actually got Counterattack, which only counters with physical attacks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I actually never found Materia Keeper to be very hard. Not really sure why. He was basically a possum in the road. I know he busts out Trine and poo poo, but actually I think that's what I used to beat him: I just Trined him right back and that was that.

Dauntasa posted:

The only way I can see Vincent being broken without a materia setup that makes anyone broken is if you're willing to spend ungodly amounts of time abusing that glitch with his ultimate weapon.
Someone already mentioned this, but Vincent's Limit forms are immune to Blow Away and a number of other more passive negative status effects, so that's fantastic already right there for reasons I'm sure you can figure out pretty easily.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Now I'm confused. I thought Counter and Counter Attack were the same thing. Never once knew about linking Counter to a yellow materia.

Materia Keeper is my favourite boss because holy poo poo did he murder me over and over and over when I was a kid. I was massively underlevelled and got stuck on him for months. These days he's never much trouble unless I'm purposely gimping myself, but I still regard him with a certain nostalgic fondness :3:

Also, hell yeah next update is gonna kick rear end.

vvv Well that explains that.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 15, 2011

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Yes, the materia picked up message is incorrect. Materia Keeper drops an Independent (pink) materia, Counter Attack. The one described by Elentor is Counter, a Support (blue) materia, which you link to a Command (yellow) materia.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

magikid posted:

Actually you're all wrong. That's a typo in the game and he actually got Counterattack, which only counters with physical attacks.

gently caress, that's true. I didn't even look. I just trusted the game because it's been so long.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, I don't think the Counter materia shows up until the final dungeon. The final dungeon has several interesting materia, which is dumb because you never really get to play with them unless you just feel like leaving to grind.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Someone already mentioned this, but Vincent's Limit forms are immune to Blow Away and a number of other more passive negative status effects, so that's fantastic already right there for reasons I'm sure you can figure out pretty easily.

Yeah, and that's great, but unfortunately they also let him make his own decisions and, as it turns out, he's retarded.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Paracelsus posted:

Oh yeah, you're absolutely right. We picked up the first counter attack one somewhere back around midgar or so, didn't we?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I don't think the Counter materia shows up until the final dungeon. The final dungeon has several interesting materia, which is dumb because you never really get to play with them unless you just feel like leaving to grind.

Remind me, has any Final Fantasy ever done a New Game+ mode?

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

Glazius posted:

X-2 :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Landwhale posted:

X-2 :v:

XII international has one too, IIRC.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

XII international has one too, IIRC.

Sort of.

You can just play in Weak Mode, where you're always level 1.

Or Strong Mode, where you start at level 50.

Nothing carries over.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Glazius posted:

FFIVDS has one.

Sadly, you're limited to two NG+s, and it's required for getting all the Augments they added in. So better have an FAQ ready. But generally, that's a nice feature.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Didn't FF4DS also have that weird thing where you couldn't reuse any of the augments you used in your previous run?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Didn't FF4DS also have that weird thing where you couldn't reuse any of the augments you used in your previous run?
They stay on the characters you used them on, unused ones carry over, afaik.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
FF4DS's new game plus didn't really carry a whole lot over. As has been said, Augments stay with characters you've assigned them to, and any unused ones. Other than that, the only things you get to keep are any unused Silver/Gold Apples and Soma Drops, and you're a fool if you have any of those left over, and the Dark Matter you can steal from the final boss. The only other bonus you get is being able to fight the two superbosses.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Glazius posted:

XIII-2 also NG+.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Left Ventricle posted:

FF4DS's new game plus didn't really carry a whole lot over. As has been said, Augments stay with characters you've assigned them to, and any unused ones. Other than that, the only things you get to keep are any unused Silver/Gold Apples and Soma Drops, and you're a fool if you have any of those left over, and the Dark Matter you can steal from the final boss. The only other bonus you get is being able to fight the two superbosses.

You also keep some of your rare superitems, namely Onion equipment and your ADAMANT ARMOR. So that's nice if you're crazy enough to grind Pink Puffs.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toothache posted:

There's one thing you didn't show off with Materia Keeper, and that's this. (PC version, but works with all versions)

Basically, if you manage to poison it, and do a combined total of 99 damage from Bio and other sources, the second time poison does damage, it takes it to exactly 7777 HP. The third time poison then does damage, it activates 'All Lucky 7's' mode, and kills itself.

I just couldn't bring myself to find a day to do 99 damage without going mad.

Dauntasa posted:

Does this mean the best character is showing up next update?

Yes.

resurgam40 posted:

This, this, and this again. I would have had a lot less trouble in lots of places my first time if I had any inkling of what an absolute game-breaker Tifa is when prepared right. What is that you kept pumping into her? Hero Drinks?

Love your showing of Vincent's Limit too. Oh, Vincent, how you fail. :laugh: Did you leave his status on Sadness for comedy, or was that happenstance?

When I'm not abusing Limits I tend to leave everyone on Sadness, Back and Big Guarded for maximum damage reduction.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Schwartzcough posted:

You can eliminate the time limit with any form of immunity to instant death. I don't remember whether there have been any accessories for that so far, but Added Effect-Destruct will work. There's also an enemy skill that does that, but I don't believe you can get it quite yet.

My question is, there's an accessory later in the game that starts the 60-second death timer at the start of battle. Does that count as Death Sentence for the purpose of powering up the Powersoul? Because that would be pretty amazing.

As for combinations that require the characters to be at low health to be effective... that's the entirety of FFVIII.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Nidoking posted:

As for combinations that require the characters to be at low health to be effective... that's the entirety of FFVIII.

Except for the part where you can make low health be what's expected for max health with a little effort.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ZevGun posted:

Except for the part where you can make low health be what's expected for max health with a little effort.

Yeah, but that just affected the limit range. A limit break with high HP and Aura is, statistically, almost entirely likely to be much less impressive than a limit break with 1 HP. Less Renzonkuken strikes (and a considerably lower chance for attacks like Lionheart to activate), less time on Zell or Irvine's limit, slot results roll much crappier, etc.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, but that just affected the limit range. A limit break with high HP and Aura is, statistically, almost entirely likely to be much less impressive than a limit break with 1 HP. Less Renzonkuken strikes (and a considerably lower chance for attacks like Lionheart to activate), less time on Zell or Irvine's limit, slot results roll much crappier, etc.

I think it's just based on % of HP, not the actual numbers. So if you use Curagas to boost your HP to 8000 when you'd normally have an HP of 500, you can be at 10% health with 800 HP and still be above what the game "expects" you to have. So people are saying you can be at very low % of health and abuse the poo poo out of limits, and still be perfectly safe for where you are in the game.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Nidoking posted:

My question is, there's an accessory later in the game that starts the 60-second death timer at the start of battle. Does that count as Death Sentence for the purpose of powering up the Powersoul? Because that would be pretty amazing.

I think so. Since the accessory puts the user under the status, it should count as fulfilling the requirements to power up the powersoul. However, in FFVII, there are tens of more efficient ways to break the game without taking a hammer to the disc itself.

The White Dragon posted:

Aura is useful for triggering the weaker limits anyway because they're still better than normal attacks. Crisis Level 1 is honestly about as useful as Crisis Level 4 for everybody except Squall and Selphie who really needs Lvl4 to trigger Lionheart and The End respectively and repeatedly. Zell and Irvine are efficient enough at lower levels (Irvine moreso than Zell), and Quistis only cares about crisis levels at end game if she's going to use Mighty Guard. I leave out Rinoa because I couldn't care about her limits.

As for the crisis level, I was under the impression that Aura boosts it up anyway.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 16, 2011

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cuchulain posted:

You keep Vincet Sad so that you don't have to deal with his Limits.
But then you have to deal with his depression.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Updates like this are why I keep coming back to this game.

Nothing quite like seeing a little girl suplex a giant spider and later do a flying suplex. She may have trouble lifting a robot, but spiders are light.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

zakharov posted:

The Materia Keeper was the second-hardest boss in the game for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Not as bad as that out-of-nowhere-in-the-middle-of-a-nondescript-area boss later on, though. gently caress that thing forever :argh:

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

The only thing that struck me intriguing about Materia Keeper was that he was one of the few bosses I can remember fighting (keyword being remember) that used healing spells consistently. Although I out-damage him, it did sort of pump me up for future boss battles of this game.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Nidoking posted:

You can eliminate the time limit with any form of immunity to instant death. I don't remember whether there have been any accessories for that so far, but Added Effect-Destruct will work. There's also an enemy skill that does that, but I don't believe you can get it quite yet.

Safety Bit? If so that'd be amazing, as in all the time I've played FF7 I've never found a use for Safety Bit.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now there is a use for that impossible to find ring in that one town in the middle of nowhere.

AkaiNami
Sep 2, 2011
I also have a little story with Materia Keeper. When I was younger I thought Vincent was really cool and I decided to take him to Mount Nibel. When I met the boss I used his Limit Break and Boy was this nerve wrecking.
He actually beat the boss alone because the other members were defeated and while he used his fire attack I think two times he finished him off. I was really scared because I didn't save before and wasn't so keen on redoing the section again. Well after this story I put him off my party for a long time.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So the best character really is coming up next? I thought you couldn't go there until after that one very important dungeon.

Edit: It's like the developers realized how bad Vincent was so they put Materia Keeper there as a screen to convince players not to use him.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 16, 2011

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So the best character really is coming up next? I thought you couldn't go there until after that one very important dungeon.

Edit: It's like the developers realized how bad Vincent was so they put Materia Keeper there as a screen to convince players not to use him.

No, that's more like a sucker-punch. Vincent is far from unusable, but it's just that his really good limits are the second and the fourth.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It is literally the next town you visit, no prerequisites other than getting past Mt Niblheim. Its amazing how one of the worst role models could be one of the best characters.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Medieval Medic posted:

It is literally the next town you visit, no prerequisites other than getting past Mt Niblheim. Its amazing how one of the worst role models could be one of the best characters.

No one in this game is a good role model.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Dauntasa posted:

No one in this game is a good role model.

Nobody except Dio and his total disregard for the concept of clothes.:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Materia keeper is one of the greatest dick moves this game loves to throw at you, Since it happens immediately after you get vincent, and they deliberately planned it so his limit break would heal the boss. One thing not really obvious though, is that vincent's hp goes up a bit when he's transformed, so killing him to stop it is even harder.

It could just be the developers trying to teach you not to spam his limit and rely on his awesome magic more (the dragon random encounter is also resistant to fire), but it seems just as likely they just wanted to be assholes about it.

• Locked thread