Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Astroturf Man posted:

I'd love to see design more like this, with the game being an interlinking series of systems/simulations with the outcome being influenced by the player. Protect a city? Over time it grows larger and more prosperous, and you get more advanced guilds, etc. Fail to protect a city? It gets whittled away and then eventually burnt to the ground and refugees wind up elsewhere. Join the thieves guild and become too prosperous? Trade suffers. etc.

That was more or less the original promise of Fable. That obviously didn't turn out that way, but it would still be great to have a game like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Guys, after a LONG break from New Vegas, I decided to play it again. But I'm having problems with some mods: for example, the Ling hair mod thingy doesn't work, even when I've activated it from FOMM.

Also, in FOMM, I can't seem to remove Archive Invalidation. The little check mark just stays there. Help?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

V!ntar posted:

Guys, after a LONG break from New Vegas, I decided to play it again. But I'm having problems with some mods: for example, the Ling hair mod thingy doesn't work, even when I've activated it from FOMM.

Also, in FOMM, I can't seem to remove Archive Invalidation. The little check mark just stays there. Help?

Wait, is Lings not working at all, or is it doing that stupid red tickmark?

Blah blah are you sure you have the latest version, all that jazz.

On my end - in Lonesome Road, my game's always been loving moronic about spawns, but now it crashes whenever two Marked Men spot me from the collapsed tower you find Jackie's computer in, or if I shoot back at them. I don't know why FNV decides to suck cocks whenever it spawns something, but it's loving annoying and I can't move past this, due to the Marked Men crossing some invisible border that causes FNV to flip its poo poo.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

JackMackerel posted:

Wait, is Lings not working at all, or is it doing that stupid red tickmark?

That's what is weird: it doesn't even look like the mod is active. I can't select hairstyles from the pack, because they aren't there

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
You know how songs get stuck in your head?
Well thanks to Dead Money, every now and then that banging sound Christine makes when she's trapped in the pod gets stuck in my head.

Thanks for helping to drive me insane, Fallout. :shepface:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Smol posted:

It's filled with completely inane questions though. No idea why he bothers answering to half of them.
Because YCS was closed. :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally got around to the Great Khans, and according to the marker, Melissa is somewhere in the Quarry.

Only problem is that I can't seem to make any headway into the valley before being mobbed to death by Deathclaws. Is there any way to confront them?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

V!ntar posted:

That's what is weird: it doesn't even look like the mod is active. I can't select hairstyles from the pack, because they aren't there

Yeah, try downloading afresh. Are you using any custom races to go with it? (Doubt it.)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finally got around to the Great Khans, and according to the marker, Melissa is somewhere in the Quarry.

Only problem is that I can't seem to make any headway into the valley before being mobbed to death by Deathclaws. Is there any way to confront them?

From Sloan, follow the wall of Quarry Junction around to the left (West). Eventually you'll come across the back entrance, which has a path directly to Melissa. You might encounter a Deathclaw or two but whenever I've done it that way it's only been radscorps.

Otherwise: Gauss rifle/sniper rifle, get on top of the cranes, snipe like a motherfucker.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

JackMackerel posted:

Yeah, try downloading afresh. Are you using any custom races to go with it? (Doubt it.)

I am. Haven't realized this would be bad :downs:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

eating only apples posted:

From Sloan, follow the wall of Quarry Junction around to the left (West). Eventually you'll come across the back entrance, which has a path directly to Melissa. You might encounter a Deathclaw or two but whenever I've done it that way it's only been radscorps.

Otherwise: Gauss rifle/sniper rifle, get on top of the cranes, snipe like a motherfucker.

Comedy option: Let them mob around your NPC buddy, then unload a full clip with the grenade machinegun at their feet. Anything still living can only limp after you. Wait a minute for your pal to wake up then move in a few inches farther for the next batch of deathclaws. (Don't try this on hardcore unless you don't mind going through several NPC buddies).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Stealth boys to sneak around them, or to reliably get sneak attack crits.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
Just finished my fourth or fifth playthrough of FONV with who knows how many hundreds or thousands of hours logged. Again siding with either the NCR or Yes Man because, lordy, I just can't bring myself to side with the Legion, and House wants me to destroy the Brotherhood. The dick.

I've gradually come to realize my now fully developed and crippling addiction to this game. It started when I was unexpectedly unemployed this time last year whereupon I set about to "give video games a fair shake". Never been a fan, never played any really unless you count a Sega and pharmacutical experimentation. Plowing through the SA fourums found several mentions of this new, upstart Fallout: New Vegas being given high praise. I bit. I was hooked. FO3 and FONV occupied my every waking moment. Every DLC consumed greedily. Mods tried and discarded. .ini tweaks experimented with. It's a drat miricle I managed to find gainful employment ..

I've even tried other, somewhat similar games to no avail. I always find them lacking in some way. They don't have that ~flavor~, that je ne sai quois; they don't make me CARE about the characters .. Dammit, I WANT everyone to have a happy ending slide!

So, why am I posting? To expose myself for what I truly have become. Hopelessly entralled and pitifully hooked on every and any mention of the fantasy land of Fallout. It inhabits my dreams. I have ED-E as my cell phone ringer, FONV wallpaper, hell .. I'd probably buy bobble heads. Each playthrough I somehow find somplace new .. how is this possible? As thoroughly as I scour the land there's always something there to surprise me! I upgraded my video card to a 6850 just for the chance to play on Ultra-High settings. I slog through the near impossible parts of AWOP just because there's MORE FONV. Gawd, I love it. I am lost.

Actual content: I've seen several mentions of Mr. New Vegas being an AI and it not being mentioned in-game. I put forth it is referenced with the line: ".. and this is Mr. New Vegas filling in for Mr. New Vegas .."

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!
God... gently caress dead money and all these god drat hidden speakers.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm having huge trouble with the Quest: Pistol Packing where you have to retrieve the missing laser pistol for the B. of S.

Basically the Paladin I'm supposed to talk to at the firing range is not there. I read the fallout wikia which said to try exiting and entering the bunker during the day in order to get his location reset, but this did not work, even after several attempts. I tried skipping this step entirely by going directly to Initiate Stanton but the "Do you know where the missing pistol is?" dialogue doesn't seem to work unless you talk to the Paladin first.

I've also tried going directly to the scorpion canyon the pistol is supposedly located at but this too needs some prompt from the Paladin and Stanton and it wasn't where it should be.

Anyone have any idea how I can complete this quest? I really want some kudos with the BoS and that Tri-beam Laser Rifle :(

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Perhaps there's a way to start it with console commands? I don't know the exact ones but I've had quests bug out and sometimes I could enter a console command to make happen whatever I needed to happen. Maybe check out the wiki and see if you can find anything?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

gohuskies posted:

Perhaps there's a way to start it with console commands? I don't know the exact ones but I've had quests bug out and sometimes I could enter a console command to make happen whatever I needed to happen. Maybe check out the wiki and see if you can find anything?

I've thought about that but the problem is it's not a legitimate quest, in the sense that it only appears in your notes.

SaberVulcan
Dec 16, 2011

Surreptitiously

Bedshaped posted:

I've thought about that but the problem is it's not a legitimate quest, in the sense that it only appears in your notes.

If you can't get the actual quest working, try spawning the pistol via console commands and maybe that will prompt the quest to work. I actually had a similar problem in a Skyrim quest yesterday, had to spawn the actual item for the quest to work.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

SaberVulcan posted:

If you can't get the actual quest working, try spawning the pistol via console commands and maybe that will prompt the quest to work. I actually had a similar problem in a Skyrim quest yesterday, had to spawn the actual item for the quest to work.

Thanks for the advice but I found the guy :woop:

If I run into any more trouble I'll give spawning the item a go.

The wikitalk said checking around where he might sleep would be a good idea so I searched high and low and eventually found him tucked away under one of the main barracks.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mosnar posted:

Just finished my fourth or fifth playthrough of FONV with who knows how many hundreds or thousands of hours logged. Again siding with either the NCR or Yes Man because, lordy, I just can't bring myself to side with the Legion, and House wants me to destroy the Brotherhood. The dick.

I've gradually come to realize my now fully developed and crippling addiction to this game. It started when I was unexpectedly unemployed this time last year whereupon I set about to "give video games a fair shake". Never been a fan, never played any really unless you count a Sega and pharmacutical experimentation. Plowing through the SA fourums found several mentions of this new, upstart Fallout: New Vegas being given high praise. I bit. I was hooked. FO3 and FONV occupied my every waking moment. Every DLC consumed greedily. Mods tried and discarded. .ini tweaks experimented with. It's a drat miricle I managed to find gainful employment ..

I've even tried other, somewhat similar games to no avail. I always find them lacking in some way. They don't have that ~flavor~, that je ne sai quois; they don't make me CARE about the characters .. Dammit, I WANT everyone to have a happy ending slide!

So, why am I posting? To expose myself for what I truly have become. Hopelessly entralled and pitifully hooked on every and any mention of the fantasy land of Fallout. It inhabits my dreams. I have ED-E as my cell phone ringer, FONV wallpaper, hell .. I'd probably buy bobble heads. Each playthrough I somehow find somplace new .. how is this possible? As thoroughly as I scour the land there's always something there to surprise me! I upgraded my video card to a 6850 just for the chance to play on Ultra-High settings. I slog through the near impossible parts of AWOP just because there's MORE FONV. Gawd, I love it. I am lost.

Actual content: I've seen several mentions of Mr. New Vegas being an AI and it not being mentioned in-game. I put forth it is referenced with the line: ".. and this is Mr. New Vegas filling in for Mr. New Vegas .."

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Though I'm kinda glad I got it on the 360 instead; I've already sunk probably over 200 hours into it, with mods and other PC fiddling it'd likely be closer to 1,000...

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

VanOwen posted:

God... gently caress dead money and all these god drat hidden speakers.

If you have explosives/repair, spam grenades when you can't find a speaker.

The last room is really loving annoying, though.

Yeah, FNV is far more addicting with mods. Far far far more addicting. I'm planning on making ANOTHER runthrough with my Ex-Enclave bastard after this.

I'm having problems with FNV crashing when it spawns certain enemies at certain points, like a couple of marked men in the area Ulysses hijacks ED-E in Lonesome Road. Any help/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How about a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game with a smaller scale, but randomly chosen main plot with associated setpieces?

A lot of times the best content has nothing to do with the 'story' anyway. I can't say I've ever felt any great urge to rush through the story in a Fallout or ES game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TOOT BOOT posted:

How about a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game with a smaller scale, but randomly chosen main plot with associated setpieces?

A lot of times the best content has nothing to do with the 'story' anyway. I can't say I've ever felt any great urge to rush through the story in a Fallout or ES game.
So it would be like Fallout Madlibs?

One day, [NAME] woke up from his [NOUN] and saw that the door to his [VAULT/HOUSE/BUNKER/CAR] was open! He looked out into the [US LOCATION] and took in its marvelous sights. Just then, a pack of mutated [ANIMALS] attacked! So he pumped himself up on [CHEM] and hit them with a [UNCONVENTIONAL BLUNT WEAPON] and they all died.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I'm a bit surprised there's not much discussion about the currently ongoing trial between Bethesda and Interplay that is basically going to determine the future of the franchise. It's finally in front of a judge and there hasn't been much word from the courtroom except for a screenshot of the Fallout MMO. https://www.duckandcover.cx has had the best coverage so far, with access to court documents up to the final hearing before the trial.

Anyone else paying attention to this? I've been reading over the legal documents, and based off the arguments of the two companies, it really could go either way. I personally think that Bethesda has a slight edge since, so far, Interplay hasn't been able to present much evidence that they were working on the MMO by the date stipulated by the contract. However, Interplay is really going for the throat, trying to get the original sale of the Fallout IP revoked.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It'll be awful if Interplay gets the rights back. They'll probably turn Fallout into a Facebook game or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Your neighbor Lucas Simms is out of Mole Rat repellant! Join Falloutville and share this on their profile to help them out before they get overrun by the critters!

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I'd like one with Google Maps integration, so you can have it randomly generate areas based on anywhere in the world. It could either choose randomly what factions are in any given area (it would look for isolated large buildings to make faction headquarters) or it could have a persistent world where the areas different factions control varies between adventures. For instance, if you had a BoS headquarters in a factory in your home town and you do a lot of quests for them, they may expand to drive out most of the raiders in your town and then some faction from the next town over comes to counter them.

Then I could set up base in my house and explore a Falloutified Dallas.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Welp, this is not the Fallout 3 thread, but I am having a Fallout 3 error I would like some quick assistance with. An hour or so ago, I played FO3 and it ran absolutely fine. Now it crashes immediately AFTER startup (right after the first BRUM of the opening theme), when the slideshow thing is going on. I am... Confused. What could I have done to break it?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Last I heard Interplay was some hobo in a shack wailing about statues in the desert and looking on his works in despair, like literally the rights to Freespace and a few other things got sold off in some garage sale deal and nobody even knows who has them anymore.

I don't really see much concerning or notable about some delusional dudes with exactly zero assets trying to sue a major company with previously recognized actively exploited IP possession for being IDEA THEEFS, if that sort of thing flew Disney would be under the collective ownership of half of DeviantArt by now.

And man that screenshot is just the saddest thing I ever did see.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 17, 2011

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Welp, this is not the Fallout 3 thread, but I am having a Fallout 3 error I would like some quick assistance with. An hour or so ago, I played FO3 and it ran absolutely fine. Now it crashes immediately AFTER startup (right after the first BRUM of the opening theme), when the slideshow thing is going on. I am... Confused. What could I have done to break it?

Check your load order and make sure all the mods you're trying to use are actually installed.

If you're not using any mods, try reinstalling GFWL from the website.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not running any mods at the moment, and I already tried (unfortunately) reinstalling GFWL.

EDIT: Welp, I gave deleting the Fallout3 folder in My Games a last-ditch effort right after posting this and what do you know now it works fine again. That's just dumb, I didn't even alter it any. Oh well, I guess, sometimes these things happen.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

eating only apples posted:

Thanks, I managed to sneak through the Deathclaws anyways. Turns out sneaking works a lot better when you leave your teammates in another area code.

I wandered off after I realized that I was left with the choice of kill Papa Khan or let the Khans disappear and I traveled all the way up to Bitter Springs and finished Return to Sender Hanlon just pulled at my heartstrings so much. I'm siding with House, and I figured that the NCR needs to have a big reform soon anyways, so I let him go. I looked up what happens when you turn him in, and it's just the saddest thing. :qq:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm a bit surprised there's not much discussion about the currently ongoing trial between Bethesda and Interplay that is basically going to determine the future of the franchise. It's finally in front of a judge and there hasn't been much word from the courtroom except for a screenshot of the Fallout MMO. https://www.duckandcover.cx has had the best coverage so far, with access to court documents up to the final hearing before the trial.

Anyone else paying attention to this? I've been reading over the legal documents, and based off the arguments of the two companies, it really could go either way. I personally think that Bethesda has a slight edge since, so far, Interplay hasn't been able to present much evidence that they were working on the MMO by the date stipulated by the contract. However, Interplay is really going for the throat, trying to get the original sale of the Fallout IP revoked.

I don't care one way or another as long as obsidian can make more fallout games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God drat it. I just recorded like three hours of footage for the FO3 Let's Play that I plan to restart soon, and ONLY after I save it all and check the footage do I notice that it didn't hide the FRAPS fps counter in the corner during recording.

gently caress. :smithicide:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

CJacobs posted:

God drat it. I just recorded like three hours of footage for the FO3 Let's Play that I plan to restart soon, and ONLY after I save it all and check the footage do I notice that it didn't hide the FRAPS fps counter in the corner during recording.

gently caress. :smithicide:

Deep breaths! That's not such a big deal, at least you didn't, like, gently caress up recording audio or something, right? I feel like I'm never going to see the rebirth of this LP :v:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

Turns out sneaking works a lot better when you leave your teammates in another area code.

Ain't that the goddamn truth.

*a deathclaw hears you* "I'll just stay still or crouch in here and he'll go awa-" "ARAAAGGHHH" *companion opens up on an entire pack like a mad motherfucker*

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If I got Gun Runners' Arsenal, do I need to start over for it to apply? I've recently gotten to Primms and started clearing out the hotel. Will I miss anything?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

No, you don't need to start over to use GRA.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Elysiume posted:

If I got Gun Runners' Arsenal, do I need to start over for it to apply? I've recently gotten to Primms and started clearing out the hotel. Will I miss anything?

No, the DLC don't need a restart. GRA just adds new guns to a store later on and adds some new achievements. You're still very early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gohuskies posted:

No, the DLC don't need a restart. GRA just adds new guns to a store later on and adds some new achievements. You're still very early on.
Awesome, thanks. My last computer ran FO:NV like absolute poo poo, and now I can actually play. I love this game. :3: