Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The only thing that sucked about Uncharted 1 was throwing grenades with the sixaxis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
And you can turn sixaxis off :v:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

RandolphCarter posted:

The only thing that sucked about Uncharted 1 was throwing grenades with the sixaxis.

I was told after I had beaten the game throwing only 1 grenade the entire time that this could be turned off.:shobon:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

orphean posted:

And you can turn sixaxis off :v:

What the gently caress

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

RandolphCarter posted:

The final boss sequence was pretty terrible. Also, I don't think you can turn it off. The game requires it for balancing too for some reason.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Japanese gamers are a bit mental:

http://livedoor.3.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/1/7/172ceebc.jpg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bubbapook posted:

I saw something almost identical to this for Skyrim.

I think it's easier to say "Holy poo poo, some people are a bit mental."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I... uh... what the gently caress is going on here? Is some Japanese dude going to eat all that while playing FF13-2?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

What the gently caress
It was one of those early PS3 games when they had to promote the use of the sixaxis even though everyone hated it. I guess since the DS, every piece of game hardware has to go through that phase. What an incredible waste of resources.

edit: I started playing the MGS HD collection?!? And I realized I still suck at MGS?!?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 16, 2011

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Policenaut posted:

I... uh... what the gently caress is going on here? Is some Japanese dude going to eat all that while playing FF13-2?

My guess is that it's their stockpile so they never have to leave the house or anything while they play 13-2.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Policenaut posted:

It's a week's worth of diabetes inducement

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Behold our new poopsocking king.

I appreciate the sheer variety of things on that table. Is that a hotdog with mayo on it in cellophane? How about that round plate full of fleshy looking pink flaps?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bubbapook posted:

There is no way he is going to finish even a quarter of this before realizing that FF13-2 is a terrible game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

blackguy32 posted:

The final boss sequence was pretty terrible. Also, I don't think you can turn it off. The game requires it for balancing too for some reason.

I don't understand the hate for the final boss. I mean, he wasn't exciting, but I wouldn't call him terrible. Shoot at him while he fires ineffective shotgun rounds, duck for the one lethal round, repeat until he flees. It's the problem with putting a boss in a game with no bosses.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

No, you can definitely turn it off.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't even mind the SixAxis grenade throwing all that much in UC1 (although UC2 and 3's way of doing it was obviously better) and I owe UC1 for turning me from a fumbling jackass into a master at manual aiming and shooting in games. I played through it recently preparing for UC3 and it holds up really well. It's shadowed by the sequels of course, but overall it's really solid and fun as long as you keep mobile during gunfights.

Crows Turn Off posted:

No, you can definitely turn it off.
In UC1? Did they add that or something, because I very clearly remember not being able to do it in that game.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

In UC1? Did they add that or something, because I very clearly remember not being able to do it in that game.

I think maybe the option was patched in around the time they added trophies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

I think the ability to turn it off was later patched in when they realized how much everyone hate the sixaxis.

On a not even related to the PS3 note, I'm currently playing Ar Tonelico II because I think someone in here said it was good. I really want to hate this game but god damnit it's just so fun. It really might be one of the creepiest games I've ever played though. Thinly veiled references to deflowering a 10 year old girl are...not cool. Not cool at all. All the thinly veiled creepiness is not helped by the fact that the translation is one of the worst I've seen in a long, long time. Still, I'm playing it and despite all my better instincts I'm having fun. If I made it through Hyperdimension Neptunia, I can make it through a game that's actually fun.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Morpheus posted:

I don't understand the hate for the final boss. I mean, he wasn't exciting, but I wouldn't call him terrible. Shoot at him while he fires ineffective shotgun rounds, duck for the one lethal round, repeat until he flees. It's the problem with putting a boss in a game with no bosses.
In all honesty, I mostly hate the end boss of UC1 in retrospect, because UC2's boss engendered a massive generalized hatred of all Uncharted bosses.

UC1's was frustrating and took forever, and for all the wrong reasons... but, once you figured it out, it really wasn't that hard. You just had to realize that they completely broke/changed the game's mechanics in that sequence. They threw in one-shot kills with tells that you HAD to dodge, and you had to focus on that rather than on the enemies.

UC2's, though... gently caress. That. poo poo. There is no strategy for that bastard other than "run like hell in the opposite direction, hoping his AI picks the path you expect, hoping some of your tossed grenades hit him, and if they do, maybe you've got a window of 5 seconds to shoot him." I blew hours on him, and the winning bout took something like a half hour of constant running.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 16, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bubbapook posted:

That's for a FFXIII-2 viewing party, right? ... right?! :ohdear:

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Shalinor posted:

UC2's, though... gently caress. That. poo poo. There is no strategy for that bastard other than "run like hell in the opposite direction, hoping his AI picks the path you expect, hoping some of your tossed grenades hit him, and if they do, maybe you've got a window of 5 seconds to shoot him." I blew hours on him, and the winning bout took something like a half hour of constant running.

Beat me to it... I was going to bitch about this as well. I spent most of my 'crushing' run just dreading having to fight that fucker again. Closest I've come to breaking a controller in twenty years.

UC3 is in the hands of my wife awaiting Christmas, but I'm praying to God that there's no jarringly changed mechanic at the end game again.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

axleblaze posted:

On a not even related to the PS3 note, I'm currently playing Ar Tonelico II because I think someone in here said it was good. I really want to hate this game but god damnit it's just so fun. It really might be one of the creepiest games I've ever played though. Thinly veiled references to deflowering a 10 year old girl are...not cool. Not cool at all. All the thinly veiled creepiness is not helped by the fact that the translation is one of the worst I've seen in a long, long time. Still, I'm playing it and despite all my better instincts I'm having fun. If I made it through Hyperdimension Neptunia, I can make it through a game that's actually fun.

Ar tonelico II is extremely "goddammit Japan" but also really, really fun. It's too bad the PS3 sequel undid pretty much everything good AT2 did (except for the excellent music).

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Or, if you're playing on Crushing, you just say "gently caress you" and glitch him to death.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

bubbapook posted:

Or, if you're playing on Crushing, you just say "gently caress you" and glitch him to death.
There's a glitch? Holy crap. Maybe I'll actually consider a crushing playthrough now.

... though honestly, I can't imagine the blue people toward the end were terribly fair in crushing period. They're at least conceivably beatable, I guess.

EDIT: VV Woooow. That almost looks like it was intentional. "Well surely players will know to rush in and punch him, and that that eventually lets you stun him"

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 16, 2011

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Shalinor posted:

There's a glitch? Holy crap. Maybe I'll actually consider a crushing playthrough now.

... though honestly, I can't imagine the blue people toward the end were terribly fair in crushing period. They're at least conceivably beatable, I guess.

The blue avatar people were total cunts, yeah. But at least you could glitch the final boss and laugh in his fat face. Behold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISffods2NxQ

For reference, the hardest thing I can recall on my Crushing playthrough was actually the sergeant on the train. That guy was a total dickbag.

bubbapook fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 16, 2011

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I never had much trouble with Uncharted 2's final boss. I just ran a wide circle around the area, and only took potshots when I was safe. This strategy worked well even on my Crushing playthrough.

I disliked and had more trouble with Uncharted 1's final boss. I actually had to look up a video of how to beat it because I kept trying to shoot him and getting myself killed.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really like the more minimalist covers for FF in Japan and wish we didn't have to post CG models on everything to get people to pick up a box.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

UC3's final boss was almost too easy compared to the previous games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

Really... though honestly, I can't imagine the blue people toward the end were terribly fair in crushing period. They're at least conceivably beatable, I guess.

Really, eveen then only the first blue meanie fight is that hard. The second one gives you ready access to a Gatling gun and a crossbow (which can kill them in two hits) and the third one gives you access to the other two and an RPG. The first one is probably the hardest fight in the game though.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
So I'm trying out Gotham City Imposters thanks to a code I got from Gamespot. It's a bit rough around the edges but I'm having a whole lot of fun.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Pandanaut posted:

So I'm trying out Gotham City Imposters thanks to a code I got from Gamespot. It's a bit rough around the edges but I'm having a whole lot of fun.
Second. It isn't quiiiite as fancy as Shadowrun was in terms of maneuverability powers, but what is here is really neat. It gives you a decent couple of options for how you want to approach combat.

The netcode and matching system, however, is complete rear end. The game is especially beta in that area.

Anyone know if the game is meant to be a boxed title or a downloadable? I really can't see myself paying $60 for this, but if it's $15 on XBLA/PSN, very interested.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
You know, I hated the UC1 demo, but I'm probably going to go buy the UC1 and 2 combo pack soon. You fuckers had better be right.

Also, any reason to play SR3 on hardest difficulty? I didn't see hard difficulty trophies. I'm early enough still that I could easily restart if there's a good reason.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Also, any reason to play SR3 on hardest difficulty? I didn't see hard difficulty trophies. I'm early enough still that I could easily restart if there's a good reason.

None whatsoever.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Shalinor posted:

I dunno. Maybe cause I played UC2 after beating UC1 I knew that the final level was preparing me for a new mechanic to beat the boss. Like I realized that in the final level the whole shooting those glowing purple sap bubbles was going to play an important role. I just ran in circles and shot at the sap globs near the boss a few times and beat him first shot. I found it easy.

I'm terrible at shooting games and I would say in games at general but thus far the Uncharted series has been a pleasant experience on Normal setting. The game just clicked and felt refined to me.

However, I'm one of those people who enjoyed Assassin's Creed 1 as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Second. It isn't quiiiite as fancy as Shadowrun was in terms of maneuverability powers, but what is here is really neat. It gives you a decent couple of options for how you want to approach combat.

The netcode and matching system, however, is complete rear end. The game is especially beta in that area.

Anyone know if the game is meant to be a boxed title or a downloadable? I really can't see myself paying $60 for this, but if it's $15 on XBLA/PSN, very interested.

Last I heard, it was downloadable.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

bleep posted:

It is not a good shooting game, and there is a lot of shooting. You can shoot through walls if you aim out of cover because of the way the aiming works, making the cover system useless. If you are curious about seeing the story before you try the much better Uncharted 2, exploiting that quirk makes the game fast and easy on any difficulty.

That worked! As soon as I ignored the cover system the shooty bits went from tedious to a minor annoyance. Now the story has gotten to the "twist" and I'm loving it. Thanks bleep :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Especially in Uncharted 1, I was constantly wondering where the hell they were GETTING all these mercs, and what they were paying them to charge blindly into death by the hundreds, all for some buried treasure. In 2, the scale of everything was way the hell bigger so I could more easily believe that they had the budget to throw away people like that.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Sorry to interrupt the Uncharted talk, but how is Little Big Planet (2) and Modnation Racers?

I own Little Big Planet 1 and 2 as well as Modnation Racers but haven't played much of any of them except LBP 1 and I wasn't thrilled with it because of the floaty jumping.

Are the communities for these games still around? Are they worth playing? Did LBP2 improve at all on LBP1?

Will Modnation Racers fill my Mario Kart HD itch?

(I have TONS of games on my backlog so even though I purchase a lot of them, some of them just don't get played) :(

EDIT: Feel free to recommend any other games that I can play in short bursts or upgrade things, heh.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Download-only, and it's meant to be fairly cheap as I understand it (though no price has been officially set). I really dug the traversal stuff, and the little quips the guys have and the tutorial videos are hilarious.

What's available in the beta? The stuff we played at a little event last week was pretty limited, but it looked like there was plenty of room for unlocks and whatnot. The challenges especially were really addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Vinlaen posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Uncharted talk, but how is Little Big Planet (2) and Modnation Racers?

The somewhat float-y controls from the first game have been more fine tuned in Little Big Planet 2, and I believe you can also adjust floatiness as an option from your pop up screen.

The graphics in LBP2 are also much cleaner, and there's a lot more tools as well. I haven't played much of the user generated levels but they've hit 5 million made so even if a tiny percentage of that is good you'll have a lot of levels to play through.

If there's another game I can recommend for short bursts Saints Row 3 has some fast paced missions, and you can upgrade your Boss character with abilities. It'll be a lot easier to recommend stuff if you maybe talk a bit more about what games you've enjoyed before :)

• Locked thread