Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Oh yeah

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/12/15/absolute-fear/

Coming in September 2012, ABSOLUTE GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS WAR will collect the story of Sinestro’s bid for totalitarian control of the galaxy – giving the arc the Absolute treatment with a gorgeous, over-sized hardcover presentation.

Collecting GREEN LANTERN 21-25, GREEN LANTERN CORPS 14-19 and GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS SPECIAL 1, ABSOLUTE GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS WAR features the writing of critically acclaimed, fan favorite authors Geoff Johns, Dave Gibbons and Peter Tomasi, with art by Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, Patrick Gleason and Angel Unzueta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

It doesn't have the one-shots? Weak

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
Man, they are really going crazy with the Absolute editions. It kind of makes the idea of the "Absolute treatment" feel less important.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

wildlele posted:

Beats me then, 4 months after the final issue isn't the worst thing in the world. Either bind your own or suck it up.

We don't have to "suck up" bad business practice simply because an alternative that most people aren't interested like that exists. Look I get that you just fell in love with binding and that you're all about that but quit preaching it down people's throats.

That being said 4 months really isn't that bad at all. It's not a whole drat year that's for sure.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Just received my second batch of books from Herring and Robinson.

Here is a link to some pictures I put up in the Marvel Masterworks forum:

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/reply/500222/Herring-and-Robinson-Bookbinders-San-Francisco#reply-500222

Bonus pictures of my shelves filling up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like the look of your custom binds man, very slick.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
We need some more shelf shots 'round these parts.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Endless Mike posted:

How long does Thwipster typically take to ship? I ordered some stuff Monday and haven't heard anything since.

Yeah. They took the money, confirmed the order through email and there it sits 'unfulfilled'. Guess I am just spoiled by Amazon.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
For me it's been 1-2 days to process and then it gets shipped Media Mail, which, depending on how far away you are from Florida, could be 3-7 days.

Here are some photos of my modest shelf:

krut fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 16, 2011

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

JackDarko posted:

We don't have to "suck up" bad business practice simply because an alternative that most people aren't interested like that exists. Look I get that you just fell in love with binding and that you're all about that but quit preaching it down people's throats.

That being said 4 months really isn't that bad at all. It's not a whole drat year that's for sure.

Wow easy there, I was simply suggesting an alternative.

Back to hardcovers.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Ultimate Spidey Omnibus on the way. Contents should be announced when the Marvel solicits turn up.

Can't see much else of major interest on the list.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=116069

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sporklift posted:

Yeah. They took the money, confirmed the order through email and there it sits 'unfulfilled'. Guess I am just spoiled by Amazon.
I got my shipping confirmation yesterday, actually. Luis told me on Twitter that they usually only ship on Wednesdays. Kind of a bummer, but worth it for the savings, I guess.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I got my shipping conf early Tues the 13th. I think I ordered on the 14/15th.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Ultimate Spidey Omnibus on the way. Contents should be announced when the Marvel solicits turn up.

I hope it's the same as the Barnes and Noble Ultimate Spidey book. Then we can all sync up on a second omnibus...

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges

StumblyWumbly posted:

I got my shipping conf early Tues the 13th. I think I ordered on the 14/15th.

So they shipped your order before you even ordered it?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

krut posted:

THAT is customer service.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Shameless posted:

Man, Marvel is just getting less and less of my money. What a stupid decision.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

krut posted:

For me it's been 1-2 days to process and then it gets shipped Media Mail, which, depending on how far away you are from Florida, could be 3-7 days.

Here are some photos of my modest shelf:

That time again?

Most of my good stuff is still at my parents' place as I don't have the room for it here (almost all my Marvel hardcovers and Absolutes).

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

krut posted:

Off by a week, ordered the 7/8th, shipped the 13th.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
My modest collection

That is the corner of the big Wednesday Comics HC underneath the Gilmore Girls DVD's. Also spotted is the Absolute New Frontier in the back of the second row on the right.

Here is the big stuff. I've only read the Ultimate ___ HC's so far

e: yeah I know, the Titans trades :negative:

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Glenn Danzig posted:

Man, Marvel is just getting less and less of my money. What a stupid decision.

Aside from still needing to pick up the X-Statix Omnibus (which I'll hopefully do with Xmas cash) there are zero Marvel books that are on my want list.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Does anyone know if the third Tomb of Dracula omnibus has had the art edited? Marvel changed some of the art around the previous time they reprinted the Tomb of Dracula magazines and if it has been in that one then I'm not going to buy it...

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Shameless posted:

Ultimate Spidey Omnibus on the way.

For gently caress's sake, I only just bought the first three Ultimate Collections!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

Does anyone know if the third Tomb of Dracula omnibus has had the art edited? Marvel changed some of the art around the previous time they reprinted the Tomb of Dracula magazines and if it has been in that one then I'm not going to buy it...
It has boobs, although I'm not sure if there's more editing (or more boobs that are edited away, all I know is that I was casually flipping through it because who actually reads their omnis? Weirdos, that's who, and there were exposed bosoms). It's also mostly in B&W which I found surprising.

As for Spidey, maybe it's the USMC stuff, not the older stuff? There's going to be one for the post-Ultimatum Ultimates and the Spidey run up to his death wasn't that long sooo... fingers crossed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks. While I honestly don't care one way or the other about having boobies in comics (I do have the Internet if I'm in the mood for that) I didn't want to support Marvel by buying an expensive book if they had changed the artwork.

It's also good to know that they didn't colorize the magazines.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Depending on what is collected in the Ultimate Spiderman Omni I'll probably get it and then sell my smaller HC's

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

poo poo drat, I got the Ultimate Spider-Man Collection (the Barnes & Noble book that's basically an omnibus) and volumes 4 and 5 of the OSHCs. I wonder how much material this new omnibus is going to cover? Hopefully it'll be the same size so I won't have to keep buying the OSHCs because god drat some of those volumes are pricey. I might just wait to see if they're going to publish a second omnibus.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

loving X-Statix, I want to read more of you but I don't have a way to do it comfortably. :[

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
That's kinda the problem with massive HCs. I realize that books are meant to be read but I think once I get to a point where I'm buying 1500 page omnibuses, it's more about collecting than consuming.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

krut posted:

That's kinda the problem with massive HCs. I realize that books are meant to be read but I think once I get to a point where I'm buying 1500 page omnibuses, it's more about collecting than consuming.

Not for me. I'm currently reading the Simonson Thor Omnibus and it's a good 1200 or so pages. I want more omnibuses for my shelf but also for the stories. I just got the first X-Men Omnibus too, and I can't wait to get into it. I know that X-Men flopped when it first started up but I just have a soft spot for those old stories. I only wish they would make the omnibuses smell like old comics.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Amazon Fishies...

New X-Men Omnibus reprint?!?

Secret Warriors Omnibus

Remender Punisher Omnibus

Got the three OSHCs for New X-men so I won't double dip but I know a LOT of people want this. Definitely up for Secret Warriors though.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 20, 2011

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Happy Hippo posted:

Not for me. I'm currently reading the Simonson Thor Omnibus and it's a good 1200 or so pages. I want more omnibuses for my shelf but also for the stories. I just got the first X-Men Omnibus too, and I can't wait to get into it. I know that X-Men flopped when it first started up but I just have a soft spot for those old stories. I only wish they would make the omnibuses smell like old comics.

My wife got me Thor for a birthday a month or two ago, and I'm still working my way through it. Compressed writing * 1200 pages = a fuckton of story. I'm usually not a fan of just about anything in it (characters narrating their actions, vikings speaking like Shakespeare, etc), but it has still managed to grab me. Just getting to what I assume will be the ridiculous parts (Secret War and Frog Thor), and I expect that to be a whole different kind of awesome.

It is pretty tough to read in bed, tho.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Can someone hit me with a review of the new No Man's Land trade?

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
I swear to god, Amazon knows that it let me preorder X-Statix for a stupidly low price, and it's now doing everything in its power to get me to cancel the preorder. It's now delayed til January. I just want to read a fuckton of X-Men! Is that too much to ask?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I swear to god, Amazon knows that it let me preorder X-Statix for a stupidly low price, and it's now doing everything in its power to get me to cancel the preorder. It's now delayed til January. I just want to read a fuckton of X-Men! Is that too much to ask?

Be strong! You can do it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm glad I pre-ordered the new EC archive books on Amazon and didn't send my money directly to Russ Cochran or another site. Every promised release date has come and gone and one of the guys working on the books has stopped posting updates on the Marvel Masterworks board.

I don't doubt that Russ is on the up and up and that the books are eventually coming, but given the shady circumstances that initially killed the EC Archives and Gemstone, they should have waited until they had the books to start selling them.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I wish the reprint of Kirby's Fourth World was still a hardcover. I also wish it didn't take me a loving half hour to put an order through Thwipster.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Has anybody here bought the Mickey Mouse idw hardcovers? How's the paper?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Has anybody here bought the Mickey Mouse idw hardcovers? How's the paper?

Bright white, acid-free, non-glossy. I have no problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Bright white, acid-free, non-glossy. I have no problems with it.

One more question if you don't mind, it doesn't feel cheap? I usually have a problem that when publishers use matte paper they go the cheap route. Thank you for answering by the way.