Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Once I hit 10cm, my nurse at the hospital wanted me to hold off on pushing and labor down for a while since the baby was still at -1 station, but within minutes I was begging to push. The urge was just incredible, so I was all "gently caress laboring down" to the nurse and she started teaching me how to push. I pushed MUCH more effectively when she was counting and using her fingers to show me where to direct the pressure, and I was at it for less than an hour and then bam, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Yes to your first question. Second question: From what I understand, American nurses/doctors encourage you to start pushing right away even if your body wants to take a break.

Here is what I've gathered:
During the pushing stage, you have contractions which are meant to push the baby out. You are expected to have an urge to push. But you may not have that urge if you're on pain meds and also I read a study that said many women naturally want to rest and don't feel any urge to push for up to an hour after reaching 10cm. In America, you are encouraged to start pushing right away (again, from what I understand - I've never been through this yet).

Here are some excerpts from the article I posted:

I don't know how true this is. I googled "Valsalva pushing technique" and "directed pushing" and everything I found is against these, so I don't know what advice women actually receive from their nurse/doctor. All I know is that my doctor didn't know what spontaneous pushing was and my doula said that the staff she's interacted with prefer to use directed pushing.

So if I do get an epidural, I'm going to use laboring down, barring medical problems.

If that was more info than you were looking for, my apologies. I've had a lot of fun learning about all of this. When I got pregnant, my ideas of labor and delivery came from TV and I've had to re-learn a lot.

This was very interesting, thanks!

(I'm in Norway btw). Because of my body being weird and not telling me to push, the midwife told me when to push. Then right when the head was crowning they told me to stop and then PLOP out came the baby. I pushed for 24 minutes.

I found the whole pushing thing kind of mystifying since I wasn't really feeling when to push. I was sitting in bed and they told me to lean forwards and I just wasn't coordinated enough to do it properly. In my mind, every time I pushed and the baby failed to come out, that was a total waste of time and I remember feeling like the baby would never come out. Haha. He did come out eventually.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 12, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I ended up changing my mind about our baby's name pretty much as soon as I went into labor. He was going to be a Duncan, but somehow it just didn't feel right to me. We ended up naming him Nolan, much to the relief of my family, who made it clear they weren't crazy about the name Duncan in the first place. It still seems weird to me that something that came out of my vagina has a name, though.

On the subject of pushing, my body definitely told me to push. I spent about 6 hours in the pushing stage, even though I dilated quickly. I spent awhile just trying to "breathe the baby out" like my birth course said, but it wasn't getting the job done. Pushing Nolan out felt like taking the biggest, angriest crap of my life. Its a good thing all those birth hormones erase your memory a bit, because those hours were absolutely miserable. The (hopefully) cute baby helps too.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Are stinging breasts common in the third trimester? A few times a day I feel like someone just jabbed me with a needle.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
Thanks for the birth stories. Now I keep on dreaming that I'm in labor and have my baby but then I wake up and I'm still only 37 weeks pregnant. :saddowns:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

My beautiful daughter Amelia was born on Thursday morning, 10 days overdue. We were booked in for an induction on Sunday, but labour began while we were out walking the dog. My wife had a midwife-led birth using only gas and air and a birthing pool. She's a doctor and her birth plan was the most detailed the midwife had ever seen - 'twas like a bloody essay. Personally, my own birth plan would have simply consisted of the word "epidural", but relatively speaking she didn't seem to have too rough a time of things with the route she went.

Sounds pretty chilled out. I'm a Britgoon as well, and hoping to go for the gas and air/waterbirth route. Big congratulations to you both!

I am slightly confused about birth plans. If you're not in the medical profession, how exactly do you go about writing one? My midwife is fairly useless and always rushed during appointments, and my lovely NHS antenatal classes aren't til I'm 34 weeks pregnant, which seems late to be planning this stuff. Do I just need to figure this out for myself?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

netally posted:

Sounds pretty chilled out. I'm a Britgoon as well, and hoping to go for the gas and air/waterbirth route. Big congratulations to you both!

I am slightly confused about birth plans. If you're not in the medical profession, how exactly do you go about writing one? My midwife is fairly useless and always rushed during appointments, and my lovely NHS antenatal classes aren't til I'm 34 weeks pregnant, which seems late to be planning this stuff. Do I just need to figure this out for myself?

You don't have to write a birth plan. If you don't have any particular wishes, I wouldn't bother.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

netally posted:

I didn't sit down with the hospital's maternity care coordinator until I was 36 weeks, so I think it's okay to wait that long. If you want to see what birth plans are like, you can probably find examples on the internet. Also, I have two pregnancy books and both have sample birth plans in them. For myself, I have the official birth plan and when I go into labor I'm going to bring one page with about five bullet points that are the most important things to me.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

netally posted:

I don't think they're essential by any means. They're useful if you have definite ideas about what you want and/or don't want and for whatever reason might be unable to communicate them easily when you go into labour. If you do write one it can be as simple as you like. Remember most women who go through labour, and I'm sure most women who write a birth plan, aren't in the medical profession. Whoever runs your antenatal classes should be able to give you some advice on the subject, and I don't think it's too late to do it at that point, though you can of course have a look on the internet or try and pin your midwife down before then. It's just something which might help you along - not anything to particularly worry about. :)

-----------

Here's a subject which may be a little emotionally charged, but one I've been pondering a lot today. What are people's rules regarding smokers holding their newborns? Our midwife told us to make them wear an extra layer when they go out to smoke which they remove when they come in and to then wash their hands.

From some of the reading I've been doing regarding recent studies on third-hand smoke I'm wondering if this is enough. It seems the residue can get in skin and hair, and be sweated out as well as transferred through breath. Furthermore it seems that it can remain in these places a long time. I only have two smoking family members (aunt and brother) and I'm tempted to tell them not to smoke at all that day before holding my daughter, and if they do to shower and change their clothes completely. I know that this may well seem new parent OTT behaviour, though. I've seen arguments that the pollution in the air in cities is probably worse, and it's difficult to determine where a fair line should be drawn between reasonable requests and being a bit of a nazi, though I'm happy to assert any rules if I truly feel they will make an appreciable difference to any health risks to my daughter.

If this has been discussed ad nauseam then apologies.

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.
I'm not pregnant, but my sister is! And I would appreciate any advice on this issue.

My sister is the first one of "our generation" to have a baby, so naturally everyone is very excited. I am too! But then our mother (one week after the announcement) told me that I need to organize the baby shower.

Is...that right? Of course I would love to, but there are several problems.
I suppose the first question that the other questions are dependent on is: Do I HAVE to throw the shower? Is this tradition? Would you hate your sister if she didn't give you a shower, or would it be okay if I got in touch with her best-best-best friend and worked it out with her?

1.) My sister lives in DC. The rest of the family is either in New Jersey or Georgia. Her husband hates to travel. Her best friends are scattered throughout the East Coast. I don't even know half of them. I have no idea about her co-workers. Where the heck should the shower be and who gets invited?
2.) I'm unemployed, whoo hoo. Does it need to be a big shebang? Can I get away with something at home?
3.) If I end up being in charge of it, when do I tell my sister? As soon as possible? Give her a month's notice? For that matter, what is the appropriate "time" to give a shower? 6 months in? 4 months?

If this isn't the right place at all for this, I apologize!

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

From some of the reading I've been doing regarding recent studies on third-hand smoke I'm wondering if this is enough. It seems the residue can get in skin and hair, and be sweated out as well as transferred through breath. Furthermore it seems that it can remain in these places a long time. I only have two smoking family members (aunt and brother) and I'm tempted to tell them not to smoke at all that day before holding my daughter, and if they do to shower and change their clothes completely. I know that this may well seem new parent OTT behaviour, though. I've seen arguments that the pollution in the air in cities is probably worse, and it's difficult to determine where a fair line should be drawn between reasonable requests and being a bit of a nazi, though I'm happy to assert any rules if I truly feel they will make an appreciable difference to any health risks to my daughter.

I don't think asking a smoker to not smoke at all the day they're scheduled to hold your daughter is a reasonable request. I think asking them to wash their hands and having a clean non-cigarette-smelling shirt for them to wear while they hold her would be okay when she's really tiny. They might not be happy about the shirt thing though.

My brother is a smoker and he washed his hands and held my newborn. I don't really think it's a giant risk if the child isn't held by the smoker for 10 hours a day.

ETA:

Cruxxed Up posted:

My sister is the first one of "our generation" to have a baby, so naturally everyone is very excited. I am too! But then our mother (one week after the announcement) told me that I need to organize the baby shower.

Is...that right? Of course I would love to, but there are several problems.
I suppose the first question that the other questions are dependent on is: Do I HAVE to throw the shower? Is this tradition? Would you hate your sister if she didn't give you a shower, or would it be okay if I got in touch with her best-best-best friend and worked it out with her?

No, you don't have to. A lot of times a friend throws it. You're not under any obligation to do so! I wouldn't care at all if my sister threw me a shower (and I didn't have a shower at all). Her friend sounds like she's in a much better place to throw the shower. I think showers are typically toward the end of pregnancy.

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 13, 2011

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
Last Thursday afternoon I went in for a routine ultrasound for my 31 week twin girls. They held me at my appointment until they could talk to the doctor. They monitored me for several hours before transferring me to a hospital with a NICU. They continued to monitor the babies throughout the night, until they lost Twin B's heartbeat. I was taken for an emergency c-section to try and save Twin A. December 9th at 3:14am, Aurora was born, 4 lbs 3.7oz and 16.75 inches tall. She is now in the incubator and doing well. River was unfortunately stillborn at 3:15am, 3 lbs 0.4 oz and 16.25 inches tall. 

When I woke up from being put under, I was taken to my room. They brought River to me and I was able to hold her for several hours. Aurora was in the NICU and I was not allowed in to see her until I could sit upright in a wheelchair. My sister somehow convinced the NICU nurses to allow us to take a photo of the two girls together. I forced myself up and into a chair and I was wheeled over to meet Aurora for the first time and to see my twin girls together just one time.

The last several days have been the hardest days I have ever experienced. I will never forget the way River felt laying on my chest. She grew inside of me for 31 weeks, and she was already gone when she was born, but I feel so much love for her. She is my youngest daughter, she is loved, and she will be missed.

I'm trying to be strong for Aurora. She needs all my love right now. She is very active for a preterm baby. I'm scared out of my mind that I'm going to lose her too, but the doctors and nurses assure me that she is strong and her health is improving.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I am very sorry for your loss, Legbeard. I know how heartbreaking it is. Be strong for Aurora, but remember to let yourself grieve for River as well, for your own well being. Congratulations, Aurora is so big! I hope she's the rockstar of the NICU and clears out of there quick - it kind of sucks there and home is way better.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
So sorry for your loss, Legbeard :( I hope you all get through this ok.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 15, 2019

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

Ben Davis posted:

Are stinging breasts common in the third trimester? A few times a day I feel like someone just jabbed me with a needle.

I certainly hope so, since I have the same problem. Especially when cold.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I'm so so sorry, Legbeard. I can't even imagine the amount of grief that would bring. Best of wishes to Aurora. I'm sure she's going to be a superstar!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Doom Catcher posted:

I certainly hope so, since I have the same problem. Especially when cold.
Well, asked the doc today and he said, "Hormones!"

I'm so sorry, Legbeard. I'm so glad Aurora is safe, though.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

netally posted:

I am slightly confused about birth plans. If you're not in the medical profession, how exactly do you go about writing one?
Precisely! It's like asking an aircraft passenger how the plane should be flown. Perhaps the pilot is a better person to make those decisions.

Basically it took us until nearly full term to realise that a 'birth plan' is actually code for 'research things so you're not clueless about childbirth'.

Incidentally, the only thing we requested was to have the placenta pulse out, but our OBGYN chose not to allow this to happen as he delivered our daughter for her safety. That's why we paid him all that money, he's the expert.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

netally posted:

Well, I'm going to disagree with Whitey Ford and say that I think birth plans are a good idea. If I was going to deliver in the hospital I would have had a birth plan and would have had the doctor sign it and put it in my chart. I'm in the US and our hospitals are a little different here so I'm only going by what I know of them. I chose not to do some things like the eye gunk. I chose to keep the placenta attached until it stopped pulsating. I chose to hold and breastfeed my baby immediately and not have the baby washed/cleaned up before I did that. I didn't get the Hepatitis B shot for the baby at birth - we waited until 2 months to get it.

They aren't a necessity but I think it is a really good idea to get to know the process and figure out what the hospital and your midwife's policies are on everything from pain medication to moving around during labor to eating during labor to baby care immediately following the birth.

ETA: Also I want to note that the OB/Midwife is not the pilot of my body or the birth experience. My midwife was there to assist in the medical decisions but ultimately they are my decisions unless they are life or death and then she can be the emergency decision-maker.

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 15, 2011

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
Here are some sample birth plans for people who are not quite sure what they really are.

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birthplan/sample/

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

First off, I'm very sorry to hear about River, legbeard. I appreciate that you let us know what happened. :(

I don't mind sharing my summary plan. The birth plan site is good but it doesn't talk about having a summary. My doula said that she's noticed that the shorter the plan is, the easier it is for the medical staff to remember it. So I have a relatively short list of points that are most important to me.

quote:

Active Labor and Transition
• Don’t offer pain medication
• Prefer no IV or medication like Pitocin
• Doula and dad only people allowed in room besides medical staff

Stage Two – Pushing
• Quiet in the room
• Give birth laying on side
• Prefer spontaneous pushing, no directed pushing

Stage Three
• Baby on abdomen
• Baby with parents for first hour (at least)
• Dad goes with nurse/doctor for examination and clean up

So that will be on one page in big font and I'll make sure that everyone who comes in the room sees it. I'll expect them to read a longer birth plan if there's time and whatnot.

And now that I'm re-reading the plan, I have bunch of things to change but I think you get the general idea.

edit: I meant to add that it's more important to just learn about things. Even if you're willing to put your life completely in the hands of the professionals, please learn about what happens to your body! In my lamaze class there is someone due the day after me (I'm 37 weeks) and on Monday we were talking and she was thinking of breastfeeding but didn't understand colostrum vs. milk. She also didn't know about birth plans, but I blame the doctor because we have the same doctor and she told me what to do so I don't know why she didn't tell the other pregnant woman.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 15, 2011

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
Thank you everyone for your kind words. It's been hard to deal with this. It is the worst at night when I'm alone. Aurora is improving so much. Today they let me hold her for the very first time.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!
My midwife asked me to make a birth plan. While she is well aware of our wishes and choices, It will be in my file if someone other than her will need to attend my birth and can answer questions my husband and I may be too distracted to answer.

The birth center I transferred to will go entirely by my birth plan barring any emergencies or complications, and will use any choices I have preselected in the plan if safe and able to do so.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife and I are in the hospital right now, with a beautiful new 2 day old girl, and I wanted to post in here as an introduction since I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions. This post may ramble a bit.

Our girl is huge - 11 lbs, 5.4oz. She was delivered at 10pm via C-section after 12 hours of unproductive labor. She's being watched for jaundice right now, and having some tests run as I type this.

My wife is recovering from surgery, and has been pretty limited to breast feeding and comforting our girl and letting her sleep with her. I've been doing the diaper duty and earlier today I had my first muconium explosion to deal with. I panicked and had to call a nurse because it quickly got all over her crib.

I'm super scared of being a parent because I'm worried how much things are going to change. Our lives have been so self-serving for the whole of our nine year relationship. The idea of everything changing is pretty scary. I'm also just generally afraid of being incompetent. Other people it seems have the whole parenting thing under control - they just know what to do. I'm worried I'll constantly fumble through the whole thing.

I've gotten about six hours of sleep in the last two days, which our doctor jokingly chided me for complaining about. I can't even imagine getting a full night's sleep but I look forward to it someday.

I think I really just need a pep talk.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 16, 2011

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

me your dad posted:

My wife and I are in the hospital right now, with a beautiful new 2 day old girl, and I wanted to post in here as an introduction since I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions. This post may ramble a bit.

Our girl is huge - 11 lbs, 5.4oz. She was delivered at 10pm via C-section after 12 hours of unproductive labor. She's being watched for jaundice right now, and having some tests run as I type this.

My wife is recovering from surgery, and has been pretty limited to breast feeding and comforting our girl and letting her sleep with her. I've been doing the diaper duty and earlier today I had my first muconium explosion to deal with. I panicked and had to call a nurse because it quickly got all over her crib.

I'm super scared of being a parent because I'm worried how much things are going to change. Our lives have been so self-serving for the whole of our nine year relationship. The idea of everything changing is pretty scary. I'm also just generally afraid of being incompetent. Other people it seems have the whole parenting thing under control - they just know what to do. I'm worried I'll constantly fumble through the whole thing.

I've gotten about six hours of sleep in the last two days, which our doctor jokingly chided me for complaining about. I can't even imagine getting a full night's sleep but I look forward to it someday.

Congratulations on your giant baby! You will get the hang of things! If you have questions, the thread is here. :) (I also recommend the Dr Sears The Baby Book for lots of how-to tips for the early days.)

Tip: If you squirt olive oil on her bottom, the meconium will wipe off a lot easier.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

me your dad posted:

First of all congrats! And second of all, don't panic. No one just knows what to do; you learn, from wherever you can - parents, friends, books, internet (probably roughly in that order). Being a parent is a big learning curve and if you're motivated to do it well then you're already on your way, even if you experience bumps in the road.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

I'm also just generally afraid of being incompetent. Other people it seems have the whole parenting thing under control - they just know what to do. I'm worried I'll constantly fumble through the whole thing.
Congratulations; you're a parent. Everyone has these exact same thoughts when they first have a kid. You will fumble through the whole thing, its a given. This poo poo's hard and its not like there's a definitive owner's manual or course you can take or anything, and even with the good books your kid is already a little individual so no matter what, YMMV. In about three months you will wonder what the hell you did with all the free time you had before you had a kid, and you'll be an old hand at dealing with a newborn.

Then she won't be a newborn anymore and have new milestones and new challenges and you'll be back to square one. Lather rinse repeat until she's 18 and out of the house. On the plus side, the second and any subsequent kids will be easier because you'll know what to expect (unless your first child is an angel baby and the second is a screaming hellion from the demon sleeplessness dimension, but its a little early to worry about that).

You're already worried about being a good parent; that's probably the best sign you will be a good parent. Its the chucklefucks who think raising a kid is a piece of cake or women's work or something you do between WoW raids that you need to worry about screwing it up.

Sammeow
Aug 21, 2010
I hope to start trying for baby number two after the new year. Those of you expecting a baby who had complications with your previous what advice can you give for helping to make sure all goes well. I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia and induced within 24 hours. My son was born at 37w 1d. I know that once you have it the likely hood of getting it again is high. I will be finding a new O.B or midwife who will actually listen to me, my previous Dr. met everything I brought to her attention with the equivalent of "get over it"
I really want to have another baby and I'm ready but I can't help but be a little fearful. Any advice would be helpful.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Here's a subject which may be a little emotionally charged, but one I've been pondering a lot today. What are people's rules regarding smokers holding their newborns? Our midwife told us to make them wear an extra layer when they go out to smoke which they remove when they come in and to then wash their hands.

Late reply, sorry. I personally think most of this is going way overboard. My husband and I are non-smokers, but his father and stepmother are crazy chain smokers. My husband and I are slightly older than the average age here (I'm 32 and he's 37), so when we were kids, it was kind of a given that everybody smoked. And they smoked everywhere, all the time. My husband spend his childhood inhaling his dad's cigarette smoke pretty directly (his dad smokes in the house and in the car) from the day he was born and he's perfectly normal with no respiratory issues, no asthma, no allergies even.

My mother literally smoked the entire time she was pregnant with me and my brother, and then I was raised by my grandparents where I too was sucking down my grandfather's smoke on a daily basis from birth onwards. The smoking made me a smaller baby, but other than that, I don't think there was too much damage done by it. I do have allergies and mild asthma, but both of my half-sisters and some of my first cousins also have it (and worse than I do), and they were born after everybody in the family gave up cigarettes, so I think it's a genetic thing and not an environmental thing.

Of course, I don't advocate smoking while pregnant, or even smoking in the same house/car with a baby, and I'm not going to allow my in-laws to smoke around any kids I have. But having come from a childhood where everyone was inhaling secondhand smoke almost every minute of their day, I think concerns about "thirdhand smoke" are a little overblown. Of course, you have to make your own decisions, but I don't really feel like having smoke residue on clothes is any real kind of risk.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I am also going to respond to this late. My son was a preemie. He was born at 34 weeks weighing 4lbs. His lungs were underdeveloped, so they had to give him lung surfactant and have him on oxygen for the first few days of life. That gave him a pneumothorax (hole in his lung), for which he needed a chest tube to reinflate his lung and allow healing and he ended up being on oxygen and then room-air through a nasal cannula for the next 2 weeks. So needless to say, my son was branded a child with lung and breathing problems for the first 6 months of his life. When we left NICU, I was given the following instructions by his pulmunologist:
No one smokes around him.

Any smokers who handle him must wash their hands (and as much exposed skin as possible, really) after smoking and before handling the baby. This was redundant, as we were basically told EVERYONE should wash their hands before holding him, at least for the first couple of months when he was still really medically fragile.

If smokers will be kissing on him, they must wash their face before doing so.

Any smokers should change their shirt after smoking and before holding him.

We didn't have any family who smoked, but we did have a close friend who did. I just kept an oversize tshirt ready for her, so when she got to the house, she had to wash her hands and face really well and then change into the clean shirt for baby visits. She also brought a toothbrush over and kept it in our guest bathroom and she would brush her teeth before seeing the baby, because it made her and I feel more comfortable.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

me your dad posted:

Our girl is huge - 11 lbs, 5.4oz. She was delivered at 10pm via C-section after 12 hours of unproductive labor.
My god that's big, I think some countries would pre-book c-section on a child with such a large birthweight.

About the confidence thing, one dad to another, fake it. Act like it's nothing, remember that it's your baby's first time to so they don't know any better. Handle your child confidentially and firmly, make your moves deliberate. The baby will respond to this. The midwives thought our newborn was our second because of how confident we appeared, despite being a bundle of nerves internally.

Also watching a child go through vaginal birth (yours or in a video) you realise that newborns are HARDCORE and withstand pretty much anything so don't think they are fragile in any way.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks for the replies on the smoking thing. I agree that the idea of people not smoking at all that day (I am an ex-smoker myself and know how difficult that would be), or changing completely and showering is over the top. I think I read myself into an OCD state that day. I am going to stick to the guidelines my midwife gave me.

However on a general point I would be wary of dismissal based on personal experience. Second-hand smoke not affecting someone is not really an indication of the overall potential harm of third-hand smoke. Some people live to over a hundred subjecting themselves to first-hand smoke every day and end up dying of something unrelated, but obviously doing that is decidedly generally inadvisable from a health point of view.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 16, 2011

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I don't have any kids myself but I was a kid that was greatly affected by my grandparents smoking. My grandmother smoked in the same room as me when she baby sat, her entire house was covered in a layer scum. It never failed I had an ear infection with in a week of hanging out with her. She died when I was 8 and I never had another ear infection.

Today just the smell of someone who chain smokes makes me extremely sick. (3rd hand smoke) It's not just psychological either, there have been times when i've had a sinus infection and haven't been able to breath through my nose and i've gotten nauseated and headache. (other people on the bus made the choking face while pointing at the smoker)

Oh by the way, thanks to all those ear infections I do have permanently damaged hearing.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all that people would need to have freshly washed, unsmoked in clothing before they get to touch your kid. It is their choice to have the habit and you shouldn't compromise because it would inconvenience them.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 17, 2011

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Tigntink posted:

I don't have any kids myself but I was a kid that was greatly affected by my grandparents smoking. My grandmother smoked in the same room as me when she baby sat, her entire house was covered in a layer scum. It never failed I had an ear infection with in a week of hanging out with her. She died when I was 8 and I never had another ear infection.

Today just the smell of someone who chain smokes makes me extremely sick. (3rd hand smoke) It's not just psychological either, there have been times when i've had a sinus infection and haven't been able to breath through my nose and i've gotten nauseated and headache. (other people on the bus made the choking face while pointing at the smoker)

Oh by the way, thanks to all those ear infections I do have permanently damaged hearing.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all that people would need to have freshly washed, unsmoked in clothing before they get to touch your kid. It is their choice to have the habit and you shouldn't compromise because it would inconvenience them.

Huh, my grandparents smoked around me all the time and I got constant ear infections too. Never thought to connect it to the smoking. I still get them a couple times a year and I have very bad hearing now. I also have asthma.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
My brother and I also had asthma and ear infections and when my parents finally quit smoking, our acute symptoms went away. My dad grew up with chain-smoking parents, and smoked himself for 15-ish years and he's got emphysema now and he's not even 60 yet. My mom, who smoked a lot longer than my dad, but didn't have chain-smoking parents, has no respiratory symptoms at this point.

I also avoid going to my MIL's house because her smoking has permeated the whole house and everything in it. She sent home a tupperware dish with food once and the dish smelled like smoke and cheap air fresheners. So she comes to my house to see the baby.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Thanks for the replies on the smoking thing. I agree that the idea of people not smoking at all that day (I am an ex-smoker myself and know how difficult that would be), or changing completely and showering is over the top. I think I read myself into an OCD state that day. I am going to stick to the guidelines my midwife gave me.

However on a general point I would be wary of dismissal based on personal experience. Second-hand smoke not affecting someone is not really an indication of the overall potential harm of third-hand smoke. Some people live to over a hundred subjecting themselves to first-hand smoke every day and end up dying of something unrelated, but obviously doing that is decidedly generally inadvisable from a health point of view.

When I was at the hospital, a heavy smoker friend came to visit me 5 days after my son was born (I had a C-sec and some badass complications). Of course, she did not smoke in the hospital (and did not touch the baby), but just the smell made me sick and I first asked the midwives to take the baby away for changing, which was a code for delay kick everybody out of the room.

Edit: what about perfume? MIL wears perfume all the time and I read it's bad for babies. When I told her not to she said "but I am NOT wearing perfume", but the level of her 3 bottles going visibly down from one day to another said otherwise (or, she was drinking it to get high). Oh and she also uses lots of smelly cream and soap, even my husband acknowledged the fact that after she uses the bathroom, it is poisonous for 2hrs.

randomfuss fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 17, 2011

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

A lying MIL is a bigger problem than a smelly one. Jeez. What is with family members and babies? My mom's latest trick has been to guilt trip me over the car seat we chose.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I'm sitting here in a hospital bed having been in the worst pain I've felt in a really long time. The doctor hasn't made his rounds yet but the nurse said they found gallstones. Wee!

Anyone else experience this? I know it's fairly common. Kind of want to know I wasn't being a big baby about the pain. Seriously thought it read labor because this is my first and I have no idea what that feels like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I had my gallbladder taken out a couple of years ago; I was in very severe pain before they yanked it out! Really never felt anything so painful in my life.

It was only keyhole surgery, so easy recovery, but not sure what they do if you're pregnant at the time.