Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010
If I understood people correctly, he also did a 24 hour practice run yesterday. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Siglemic is pretty far into a pretty promising run right now, y'all should tune in: http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

Edit: TTC is a harsh mistress. Sig still managed to pull out a 1:49:04 though. His prospects of putting together a WR-beating performance in this week-long thing of his look good to me.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 17, 2011

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

He had a chance at the WR until TTC.

drat you TTC!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

SpectacuLars posted:

If I understood people correctly, he also did a 24 hour practice run yesterday. :psyduck:

Yeah Sig is basically insane.

I'm glad he beat his VC-U time on N64-J though, he definitely has this record at some point during the next week.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I think he just started another run.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This guy really hates his life right now.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Looks like he's back to practice. That's good and all, but it's so boring to watch.

vv more pizza and Mtn Dew would do the trick, running is for losers.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 17, 2011

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
honestly just breaking up practice, running, and actually going out for a loving run irl would probably do wonders for his concentration, if there's any to salvage.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
God dammit the spirit temple hover is loving impossible

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
at the risk of out :spergin: everyone here, real competitive gamers tend to be athletic and they dont eat like poo poo.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

fleshweasel posted:

at the risk of out :spergin: everyone here, real competitive gamers tend to be athletic and they dont eat like poo poo.
"Mens sana in corpore sano" still rings true.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

fleshweasel posted:

They also tend to be in their teens to early twenties with a metabolism capable of burning 3000 calories a day without moving a muscle. :colbert:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SDA update:

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (non-glitch) - 0:42:35
Clue - 1 second
Metal Gear Solid 3 (European Extreme) - 1:23:37 and 1:38:42
Prince of Persia (training levels) - 0:03:03
Sunset Riders - 0:18:19
System Shock 2 - 0:32:54
The X-Files Game - 0:12:44

The System Shock 2 run is impressive. The runner has particularly good use of psi powers, often using Agility and Invisibility at the same time. He also suicides to respawn at the reconstruction chamber in creative ways, like using a speed hypo and sprinting into a desk to kill himself. Hey whatever works.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My god that SS2 run is amazing, he's just barreling through the game and has it down to near perfection. Also :lol: when SHODAN asks "Why are you going so slowly? Do you think this is a game?"

Watching this is making me want to play this game again, what great ambiance.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The SS2 run also has an alternate audio track where he talks over the whole run and explains all the tricks and why he's doing what he's doing.

Also this is just making me want to replay this game, it's so good.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Day 2 of Siglemic's Mario 64 marathon has begun.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SeedyV posted:

Day 2 of Siglemic's Mario 64 marathon has begun.

Sig just passed the red coin star on Hazy Maze Cave, looks like a promising run.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I must say, that portal speed run was balls to the walls fast and very confusing for me.

I didn't even know you moved faster by jumping backwards.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Last year's AGDQ had this guy that was large and in charge and some jerks donated for him to shut up for a period and he got all sad.

I really hope he isn't dissuaded and is large and in charge again this year.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So Sig buckled and made too many mistakes around 100 stars and completely forgot about a star in Snowmans' Land. Run over.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Heran Bago posted:

Last year's AGDQ had this guy that was large and in charge and some jerks donated for him to shut up for a period and he got all sad.

Isn't that the fella who is running FF7 again this year?

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

Liku posted:

So Sig buckled and made too many mistakes around 100 stars and completely forgot about a star in Snowmans' Land. Run over.
He accidentally saved and quit in the run he just finished. Still came within a couple of minutes of the WR. I think he also died around the pyramid area.

Sloppy Thirds
May 14, 2007
Hello I am Kassiuz from SRL. Come race games with us on SRL. We need more SRLers. I play Super Metroid a bunch here and am 1 minute away from the official TWR!!!

In all seriousness, I wish I could have attended this year to play some Super Metroids but I'm really strapped for cash and wasn't told about it until late.

But for real. Join SRL. Even if it's to just casually gently caress around playing 4 player Mario Kart 64, it's a good time.

edit: oh hey, UA is in the thread. How's the practice going?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Between everything else that's been going on, not nearly as well as I would have liked. It'll be passable, but 0:3x is completely out of the realm of possibility at this point.

I think I took on too many hard games this year and I'm going to have to scale it back next time. (SM is hard when you're trying to do it fast, yes.)

dc chunks
Apr 17, 2009

The Portrait of Ruin run that just went up is really excellent. It's great to see a proper single segment of it instead of the glitch filled madness they had before.

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

Liku posted:

Sig's last run was a 1:48:32. He's getting close to Nero's WR of 1:48:27!

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Just woke up to see siglemic's near-WR. Shiiiiiiiiiit

Heran Bago posted:

That was RaneOfSOTN. I thought he was doing half of FF7 too but I don't see him on the schedule . . .

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The timing of this charity marathon is now completely uncanny from my perspective. Last night, after a mere three days of us knowing there was anything seriously wrong at all, my 79 year old grandmother passed away from what was described to us as "a super aggressive form of lymphoma".

She was feeling a little fatigued but otherwise alright earlier this week, so she went to the doctor on Wednesday. At first they thought it was Congestive Heart Failure, which is basically just fluid buildup and extremely manageable. We got the call that she needed to be hospitalized that night and that they thought it was acute leukemia. By Thursday, they determined that it was actually lymphoma and that her white blood cell count had jumped up to 120k (normal is 12k). By Friday, that count had jumped up to 196k and thickened her blood to the point where her body wasn't properly transporting oxygen around; this led to a stroke. By Saturday, any idea of attempting chemotherapy or hope for recovery was gone, and then she was gone less than an hour into Sunday.

It's honestly been such a whirlwind of events and changing information that it's still hard to believe it is real. After all, my grandmother was previously a 9 year survivor of breast cancer, and she had semi-annual blood work tests to monitor for any return of that condition. Her most recent tests in September were completely normal, and yet here we are in mid-December and she's gone. I am only thankful that, in the end, she passed quickly and peacefully, rather than the long, drawn out suffering that her husband - my grandfather - went through due to lung cancer four years ago. With my grandmother's passing, all of my grandparents have now passed, with three of them dying due to various forms of cancer or complications related to cancer.

I'm not telling you all this to garner pity or sympathy. I'm typing it out partly because it's helping me to collect my thoughts and process this whole situation. I'm also posting it because I will be using this or a similar writeup as my first donation's comment to be read on the stream, both as a way of honoring her memory and as a way of driving home just how large an impact cancer can have on so many people and their families. I still don't know that I buy into the idea that cancer can necessarily be prevented, but I'm absolutely down with the idea of working towards better treatments and faster diagnoses. I hope that, if anyone's on the fence about donating to the cause, that this account and others like it might convince you to give what you can during this holiday season.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What's the story behind using the name Lunk in Zelda games, and has it ever actually won? I ask because I've used Lunk myself for as long as I can remember and bid on that every year. Never knew it was a semi-goon-thing.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What's the story behind using the name Lunk in Zelda games, and has it ever actually won? I ask because I've used Lunk myself for as long as I can remember and bid on that every year. Never knew it was a semi-goon-thing.

I think it's a reference to the Freelance Astronauts LP of Master Quest, but it's a pretty funny name for the fellow even if I'm wrong.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

skyliner posted:

Sig's last run was a 1:48:32. He's getting close to Nero's WR of 1:48:27!

Sig's starting up again, I think, the timer is 24~ minutes in so I guess he's starting another 12 hour run?

http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

edit: Sig is starting and he has a picture-in-picture going of is previous run so you can watch both and see if he trails behind. loving awesome.

sigher fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 19, 2011

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
It's from the Freelance Astronaut's LP of Ocarina of Time yeah.

About 2 marathons ago I thought it might be fun to try and get it to actually win as a filename, it lost out to Mom by like $300 due to a massive donation towards the end, but I was really happy because the Mom/Lunk bidding war was responsible for raising like $800 for a good cause.

Last marathon it actually won the name for LttP.

It's just an amusing name for the hero of time! I'll be sure to donate for it in any Zelda runs in January as well. Everybody should. Make Lunk a tradition and people will start donating to keep the tradition alive or dethrone it, I'm sure it gets people to toss in a few more bucks they might not have otherwise.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The timing of this charity marathon is now completely uncanny from my perspective.

Wow. That's both terrible and amazing (in the neutral sense). Sorry to hear about your family tragedy, but thanks for sharing your feelings at this tough time.

gently caress cancer, yay videogames, I'm donating this year.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Dr. Dos posted:

It's from the Freelance Astronaut's LP of Ocarina of Time yeah.

About 2 marathons ago I thought it might be fun to try and get it to actually win as a filename, it lost out to Mom by like $300 due to a massive donation towards the end, but I was really happy because the Mom/Lunk bidding war was responsible for raising like $800 for a good cause.

Last marathon it actually won the name for LttP.

It's just an amusing name for the hero of time! I'll be sure to donate for it in any Zelda runs in January as well. Everybody should. Make Lunk a tradition and people will start donating to keep the tradition alive or dethrone it, I'm sure it gets people to toss in a few more bucks they might not have otherwise.

I'll donate if there's an option to name Link "I say".

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

Liku posted:

Sig's starting up again, I think, the timer is 24~ minutes in so I guess he's starting another 12 hour run?

http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

edit: Sig is starting and he has a picture-in-picture going of is previous run so you can watch both and see if he trails behind. loving awesome.

That picture-in-picture is really nice for someone that isn't very knowledgeable about this speedrun stuff like myself.

This "cannonless" trick is insanely precise.

Go Sig!

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Sloppy Thirds posted:

Hello I am Kassiuz from SRL. Come race games with us on SRL. We need more SRLers. I play Super Metroid a bunch here and am 1 minute away from the official TWR!!!

In all seriousness, I wish I could have attended this year to play some Super Metroids but I'm really strapped for cash and wasn't told about it until late.

But for real. Join SRL. Even if it's to just casually gently caress around playing 4 player Mario Kart 64, it's a good time.

edit: oh hey, UA is in the thread. How's the practice going?

I raced during last Saturday's OoT bingo! I also did terribly and placed second to last above one other dude and everyone who forfeited :( Stupid bow trials in Gerudo training grounds...

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Apparently the picture-in-picture was removed because Sig found it too distracting. But the personal best run has been uploaded so I should be able to sync it up for myself tomorrow.

Edit: Also people keep trolling the chat claiming that Sig is a girl.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 19, 2011

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Justin/Twitch has the recording of his runs stored in his previous video clips.

His personal best spans from the 44:30 mark of this clip through the 32:00 mark of the following part.

Now that I've gone and created a WSplit file for his 1:48:32 run I can rest assured he's going to change his route and nullify it.

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

HoldYourFire posted:

Apparently the picture-in-picture was removed because Sig found it too distracting. But the personal best run has been uploaded so I should be able to sync it up for myself tomorrow.

Edit: Also people keep trolling the chat claiming that Sig is a girl.

You wouldn't mind sharing the link, would you? Or did you mean the stuff SeedyV linked? Because having to switch stream mid-run is a bit too involved for me. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wideshanks
May 17, 2007

B.M.O.F.
Big Man On Forums
Has there ever been a tool-assisted speed runs of any of the top-down Grand Theft Auto games?

The only one I can find is Chinatown Wars on TASvideos.

I enjoy seeing him drive around traffic barely steering his car and yet never getting hit.

• Locked thread