Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

artism posted:

How long do most of you guys play this game per day? I find that I will accomplish something minor, like a boss or something, and then have my fill for the day. So all in all between 30 minutes to an hour for me. And it's not because I am bored by the game or anything it's just the game is so open-ended and secretive (i.e. the casual idiot like me doesn't have a lot of clues about where to go or what to do) that I find breaking the game up like this makes it more enjoyable and less overwhelming.

If I don't feel like progressing the story I will farm souls to buy more upgrade items or consumable things. Sometimes I would just log on and try to assist people with bosses. You really can play at your own pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.
Roommate (he got stuck for like a week on Maneater and swore off playing the franchise forever like a big gay baby) occasionally watches me play because he's still interested in seeing levels, enemies, etc.
I kill Quelaag, use the 'Pray' gesture.
"Check it out, I'm Tebowing"
Roommate is the most rabid Tebow-hater, especially since his beloved Jets lost to the Broncos.

... My roommate doesn't hang with me when I play video games anymore. :smith:

On the actual game (because this post isn't about making in-game Tebowing a "thing" dear god don't jump down my throat I was being ironic for the sake of griefing my roommate):
Going maxed-out Divine Zweihander faith build... There's just something about a crimson-robed cleric smashing things with an inhumanly large sword that sends me from 6 to midnight in seconds flat. :black101:
What miracles would you guys recommend? I definitely intend to at least be chucking lightning bolts around. I don't really care much for PvP, I was pretty good in Demon's Souls but can't seem to achieve success here...
(this is totally the character I'm showing anyone who wants to check the game out)

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I've resorted to just playing offline until Anor Londo when things start to even out. Not like I need help or feel like assisting before that point anyway.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kongming posted:

I've resorted to just playing offline until Anor Londo when things start to even out. Not like I need help or feel like assisting before that point anyway.

Why not just do everything Hollowed? That's what I do...I go through the area Hollow, get all the items, kill the non-respawning mini-bosses/tough enemies, then go to the nearest bonfire to the boss before finally un-Hollowing and taking them on.

And usually there are summon signs right at whatever bonfire that is, so I can get help against high-powered invaders.

And you can still assist without ever getting invaded...you don't need to be human to lay down a white summon sign.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Every fire-keeper demon leaves a bonfire behind after they die, so yeah.

But you still can't warp to it...only certain bonfires you can warp to...they are the ones that are right next to a covenant (Stone Dragon, Chamber of Chaos, Nito (though he's dead by the time it shows up...so?), Chamber of the Princess, Darkmoon...

Only a few "non-covenant" fires are warpable...Firelink, Anor Londo...that it?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 17, 2011

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kate Lockwell posted:

On the actual game (because this post isn't about making in-game Tebowing a "thing" dear god don't jump down my throat I was being ironic for the sake of griefing my roommate):
Going maxed-out Divine Zweihander faith build... There's just something about a crimson-robed cleric smashing things with an inhumanly large sword that sends me from 6 to midnight in seconds flat. :black101:
What miracles would you guys recommend? I definitely intend to at least be chucking lightning bolts around. I don't really care much for PvP, I was pretty good in Demon's Souls but can't seem to achieve success here...
(this is totally the character I'm showing anyone who wants to check the game out)

Well, assuming you haven't met the second miracle vendor yet, Heal, Force and Homeward. Y'know, the stuff he sells that doesn't suck. :v:

Wrath of God and Great Heal later.

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.

gravyflood posted:

Well, assuming you haven't met the second miracle vendor yet, Heal, Force and Homeward. Y'know, the stuff he sells that doesn't suck. :v:

Wrath of God and Great Heal later.

Cool, thanks. I suppose I could look this up but I'd expect wikis to have the same vague written description that I'm used to: is Wrath Of God pretty much the same as it was in Demon's Souls? If so, I may pass to keep the slot for something else.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kate Lockwell posted:

Cool, thanks. I suppose I could look this up but I'd expect wikis to have the same vague written description that I'm used to: is Wrath Of God pretty much the same as it was in Demon's Souls? If so, I may pass to keep the slot for something else.

Yeah, but it only takes up one slot this time around, and there's no sense in keeping both Lightning Spear miracles once you get the second. It's pretty decent for PvE.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
The important thing is that it's a billion times faster than the Demon's Souls Wrath of Gods. It's probably the fastest offensive spell in the game.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
But Solaire, I DO have feelings for you :swoon:

e: What's the best way to get humanity? I'm at O&S and I want to SunBro this fight (Almost had it last time until Smough absorbed Orstein and did that lightning AoE, now I'm out of humanity).

Category Fun! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 17, 2011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Category Fun! posted:

e: What's the best way to get humanity? I'm at O&S and I want to SunBro this fight (Almost had it last time until Smough absorbed Orstein and did that lightning AoE, now I'm out of humanity).

Put down a summon sign and help someone else with the fight. Hell, if you're lucky, the other person will summon Solaire, too, and you'll get a Sunbro medal!

Edit: Best place fro a summon sign to help with Quelaag is that bonfire right near her entrance, right?

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

NuckmasterJ posted:

The only Bonfire in Sens is way up on the roof when a golem dude is hurling exploding bombs at you from afar. There is nothing inside the fortress, so when you die you gotta walk thru all the axes again. Just take your time! Do not try to rush thru all the axes at once unless they are grouped really close together which is only in one area right before the first drop down to the Titanite tar pit.

Go slow and steady, watch the swing then run forward. Do it naked if your to slow. Once you get the hang of it you can breeze thru all the axes no problem.

I wasn't exactly carrying much weight before but I have gone right down and I made it through the axes as soon as I posted. I promptly died to a massive firebomb and havent made it back since.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Put down a summon sign and help someone else with the fight. Hell, if you're lucky, the other person will summon Solaire, too, and you'll get a Sunbro medal!

Edit: Best place fro a summon sign to help with Quelaag is that bonfire right near her entrance, right?

I've done that but nobody is using my shiny SunBro sign :( I saw a bunch of signs when I used my humanity, so I assume everyone is in the same boat as me.

e: And as soon as I post this, I get summoned. Hooray!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Category Fun! posted:

I've done that but nobody is using my shiny SunBro sign :( I saw a bunch of signs when I used my humanity, so I assume everyone is in the same boat as me.

e: And as soon as I post this, I get summoned. Hooray!

Are you putting your sign by the bonfire or the boss door?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

gravyflood posted:

Are you putting your sign by the bonfire or the boss door?

By the bonfire. We hosed them up real good this time :) The lightning spear doesn't seem so good for them though, should I switch to another weapon?

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Welp, still confused on joining the Sunbro's. I have 20 Faith and 2 Sunbro Medals and as far as I know from the Wiki's the pre-req is only 25 faith, -5 for each Sunbro Medal you have. I guess Solarie doesn't want to be buds with me. :cry:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NuckmasterJ posted:

Welp, still confused on joining the Sunbro's. I have 20 Faith and 2 Sunbro Medals and as far as I know from the Wiki's the pre-req is only 25 faith, -5 for each Sunbro Medal you have. I guess Solarie doesn't want to be buds with me. :cry:

Sun Medals aren't the prerequisite, assisting other players is. Got to help some people kill bosses to bump up your score.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

NuckmasterJ posted:

Its not per sunlight medal that you have - it's -5 for every time you get a get summoned to another world and help that person kill an area boss.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
To elaborate on what the above have said, the Medals are only used for ranking up the Covenant and acquiring the exclusive miracle(s?), not for joining it.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Oh, well I am hosed then. For some reason which I don't understand I never get summoned. I spent two hours down in the Parish waiting at SL19/20 then tired of it and left.

Edit - 99% sure its my connection, summons constantly fail too. Guess Dark Souls is treating my internets like it treats a noob to Capra and Ceaseless Discharge.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 17, 2011

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why not just do everything Hollowed? That's what I do...I go through the area Hollow, get all the items, kill the non-respawning mini-bosses/tough enemies, then go to the nearest bonfire to the boss before finally un-Hollowing and taking them on.

And usually there are summon signs right at whatever bonfire that is, so I can get help against high-powered invaders.

And you can still assist without ever getting invaded...you don't need to be human to lay down a white summon sign.

I guess it doesn't make a difference but I honestly only use online for high level PvP anymore. I don't read messages, I have more fun soloing bosses, and the only boss I have fun assisting on anymore is O&S. I just don't feel like indulging twinks whenever I have to kindle a bonfire or whatever.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Success! Fiddled with my router, all is well. I've assited on Capra 4 times in the last 30 minutes and I'm officially a lightning tossing sunbro. It really makes Capra easier when I can do 350 every time I play god.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So that's a no on being able to warp back to Seath or anywhere nearer to that than Anor Londo?

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
So has anyone gone back and played Demon's Souls since Dark Souls came out and found it really, really easy? I fully acknowledge that my skill in the "Souls" games improved a lot with Dark Souls, but I am just tearing Demon's Souls apart with a new character. I mean, I had to cheese a bunch of bosses with Souls Arrow originally, but now I'm pretty much unstoppable with pure melee. Took out Flamelurker first shot, no PFS or fire resist stuff at all. And I beat the tutorial Vanguard with absolutely no problems, whereas I thought that was pretty much impossible my first time through.

Well, regardless, Demon's Souls it still really fun. gently caress climbing ladders, though.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
Dark Souls story time!

I was taking my high DEX, no shield character through the Painted World and used a few of my Cracked Red Eye Orbs for giggles. I ended up invading a dude who was clearly on his first time through the area, but had made it to the undead dragon and killed it. So we spar and I murder him, which still feels great, especially not using a shield like I have for every other character.

Then I get a message from him. I think to myself, "will this finally be hate mail?" Previous to now, I've been very lucky with messages on Xbox Live from Dark Souls. As close as I've got to hate mail was a dude that was incredulous about my SL1 invader but begrudgingly thanked me for the Black Knight weapons I left behind as an offering before the fight. But I digress.

He messages me asking if I could help with the level and the boss. Of course I can, we're all sunbros at heart, right? He summons me, we wreck the Painted World including the horrible wheel skeleton traps. I get toxic from a tumor dregling and have no moss to cure it. He messages me to separate and heal and he'll resummon me. What a nice gent! We do just that, murder Priscilla, get her tail and all is well.

Fast forward an hour and a half after I've taken a break, I come back and throw a sign down at O&S and who should summon me but my good ol' Painted World buddy! The next chapter in the story ends with a very dead O&S and more messages back and forth as I explain how to find the vendor to get Ornstein's sweet armor.

Dark Souls! :neckbeard:

adj
Oct 31, 2007

Graviija posted:

So has anyone gone back and played Demon's Souls since Dark Souls came out and found it really, really easy? I fully acknowledge that my skill in the "Souls" games improved a lot with Dark Souls, but I am just tearing Demon's Souls apart with a new character. I mean, I had to cheese a bunch of bosses with Souls Arrow originally, but now I'm pretty much unstoppable with pure melee. Took out Flamelurker first shot, no PFS or fire resist stuff at all. And I beat the tutorial Vanguard with absolutely no problems, whereas I thought that was pretty much impossible my first time through.

Well, regardless, Demon's Souls it still really fun. gently caress climbing ladders, though.

Demon's Souls initial game always was easy, the difficultly really came into play in NG+ and PBWT. That said, I still think Demon's is much harder game. Having half your health in soul form; the world tendency which shifted towards harder enemies the more you died in that world; bosses and enemies that could steal soul levels from you; invading someone and dying to something in the environment resulted in losing a soul level; black phantom NPCs which were actually challenging fights and would often fully heal themselves; et al.

Dark Souls honestly feels a little too coddling compared to Demon's. It just feels like there's no consequences for any of your actions in DkS the way there were in DS. At worst you piss off an NPC and pay a few souls to get them to like you again. In DS if you attacked an NPC they'd remain hostile to you forcing you to kill them or enter a NG if you needed something from them. I love the new mechanics of Dark Souls but I wish they either kept the world tendency system from Demon's or added some new form of world modifications that occur as a result of your actions.

Sucaballuc
Jun 13, 2003
I am getting pretty frequent summons before O&S. I'm at SL 58 and I only get to farm one or two silver knights before I am summoned off to another world.
Unfortunately there's also a lot of invasions coming in and I haven't made it to a O&S assist yet :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
SL70 and all I have left are Nito and Gwyn. Where's a good place to phantom, and should I crank out some levels before facing the final boss in order to no be underpowered for NG+?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is there some trick to damaging Seath? I died to him, worked my way through the prison tower bit, and faced him again. Then, I threw a lightning spear at him. He seemed to instantly heal the damage.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Not sure about where to phantom as I don't have much experience assisting after O&S, but level 70 is a pretty good spot to be at the end of NG. Also you still have Nito left so by the time you finish Tomb you should be able to pump a few more levels before taking on Gwyn.

NG+ isn't terribly hard. I think the only thing that gave me a lot of trouble in NG+ is the Hellkite Drake since it gets such a ridiculous damage boost but that thing is completely avoidable. Also be aware that in NG+ the soul rewards are quite high so you can gain levels quickly just clearing the burg/parish.

^^^^^
You cannot harm him at that location. You must fight him in the Crystal Caves behind the Archives for the ability to actually defeat him. It is required that you get killed in the tower at least once so you can get into the back rooms of the archives. If you rescued Big Hat Logan in Sen's Fortress you can find him locked up again in the prison tower in the room the lamia creatures come out of. If you free him he will tell you why Seath is immortal and how you can harm him.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 18, 2011

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

gravyflood posted:

Is there some trick to damaging Seath? I died to him, worked my way through the prison tower bit, and faced him again. Then, I threw a lightning spear at him. He seemed to instantly heal the damage.

In order to beat him, shatter the crystal in the back (in the room you fight him in) and you can damage him.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kongming posted:

You cannot harm him at that location. You must fight him in the Crystal Caves behind the Archives for the ability to actually defeat him. It is required that you get killed in the tower at least once so you can get into the back rooms of the archives. If you rescued Big Hat Logan in Sen's Fortress you can find him locked up again in the prison tower in the room the lamia creatures come out of. If you free him he will tell you why Seath is immortal and how you can harm him.
Well gee, why didn't I think of that? :allears:

Dark Souls.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

adj posted:

Demon's Souls initial game always was easy, the difficultly really came into play in NG+ and PBWT. That said, I still think Demon's is much harder game. Having half your health in soul form; the world tendency which shifted towards harder enemies the more you died in that world; bosses and enemies that could steal soul levels from you; invading someone and dying to something in the environment resulted in losing a soul level; black phantom NPCs which were actually challenging fights and would often fully heal themselves; et al.

Dark Souls honestly feels a little too coddling compared to Demon's. It just feels like there's no consequences for any of your actions in DkS the way there were in DS. At worst you piss off an NPC and pay a few souls to get them to like you again. In DS if you attacked an NPC they'd remain hostile to you forcing you to kill them or enter a NG if you needed something from them. I love the new mechanics of Dark Souls but I wish they either kept the world tendency system from Demon's or added some new form of world modifications that occur as a result of your actions.

I don't know, the Tendency mechanic felt pretty stupid to me: The better you are, the easier the game mechnically gets, and the worst you are, the harder the game gets. It basically fustrate both: the skilled player get easier and easier challenges, while the bad player rams against a wall that keep getting harder.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I've been down trying to get summoned on Goat.cx dragon runs and I'm at the point where I'm yelling at my xbox trying to get these people to turn around and kill the channeller before they go fight the boss. I just would like to assume if you've done the research to know how to get the Drake Sword, where the Grass Crest Shield is and got past the Black Knight to get it that you would of cleared the level of mini boss's before you attempt the zone boss. :cthulhu:

Do people get smarter at later boss fights? lol

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
I'm level 60. What boss would be easiest to get summoned for if I wanted to help some folks out?

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
O+S and Painted World should do it.

I went around all the the very final zones at 58 recently and never saw a single sign. There were dozens in Anor Londo. The same has held true at 119. People just really love to summon, be summoned and invade there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

neetz posted:

O+S and Painted World should do it.

How about 65?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PorkFat posted:

I'm level 60. What boss would be easiest to get summoned for if I wanted to help some folks out?

I got summoned for O&S at that level fairly often.

Lots of invaders near the last bonfire before O&S, too, and they can make things really aggravating if they hang around by the two giant guardians in front of the boss door.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Well to be fair most people are hitting the final zones way above 58. I was 80some when I finished my first playthrough and that was before the souls increase

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

gravyflood posted:

How about 65?

O+S summons teeter off a little bit at that level but you're still guaranteed your fair share, same for the Painted World. Duke's Archives should bring you some hits too, you get a lot of magic centric characters hitting that up for all the goodies and Seath is a lot more manageable with one person holding his attention and another smacking his tail. I've never seen a summon sign or been summoned at New Londo :(.

65 is sort of a middle ground between mid-game and end game stuff so you can probably get picked up in most zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
With Gwyndolin's radiant crown and some shiny Brass Armor I am now the goldenist sunbro mage in Anor Londo. Praise the Sun!

• Locked thread