Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

nahob posted:

According to Wikipedia:

But I really only switched over to WASD until Half-life multiplayer. My dad still uses the arrow keys in combination with the mouse, uses "/" to jump, the ' key to use. It's all hosed up.

I use a hybrid of arrow keys and WASD. "Left Arrow" is "Strafe Left", "Right Arrow" is "Strafe Right", "Up Arrow" is "Forward", "Down Arrow" is "Back". "R-Ctrl" is "Jump", "NumPad 4,1,0,2" is where I put everything else. Basically WASD only hunched to the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

altie
Nov 12, 2000

SUSPICIOUS!
Half-Quake:

A Half-Life 1 mod that makes the game as frustrating as possible in new and creative ways. Jumping puzzles like you've never seen. Hopping from one end of a room to another on top of active turrets. Sometimes you'll be forced into a fixed third person view while being stuck with the same old 3D controls. And yet somehow, the pacing of it will give you just of enough of that dopamine kick when you pass the next hazard to keep you coming back to the pusher man.

Gameplay: http://farm.muddasheep.com/cgi-bin/farm_projects.cgi?show_project=6
Download from: http://farm.muddasheep.com/cgi-bin/farm_projects.cgi?show_project=6

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

altie posted:

Half-Quake:

A Half-Life 1 mod that makes the game as frustrating as possible in new and creative ways. Jumping puzzles like you've never seen. Hopping from one end of a room to another on top of active turrets. Sometimes you'll be forced into a fixed third person view while being stuck with the same old 3D controls. And yet somehow, the pacing of it will give you just of enough of that dopamine kick when you pass the next hazard to keep you coming back to the pusher man.

Gameplay: http://farm.muddasheep.com/cgi-bin/farm_projects.cgi?show_project=6
Download from: http://farm.muddasheep.com/cgi-bin/farm_projects.cgi?show_project=6

halfquake: amen is pretty rad. I had no idea they even made a 3rd part. Apparently it came out last year???

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

[center]i am invincible[/center]

Vertigus posted:

halfquake: amen is pretty rad. I had no idea they even made a 3rd part. Apparently it came out last year???

Yes. HalfQuake Sunrise. It is in itself a really great mod for Half-Life 1 which manages to do a lot of surprising things and supplies a lot of fresh gameplay elements. It is rather long and a few of the puzzles can get difficult, and as such I never completed it.

Heres a video showcasing some of the cool stuff it is capable of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTbgywHz-xw

Also, the first one had one of the best cut scenes I've ever seen in a Half Life mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NIACUcHjig

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hey! People with shiny phones that have no buttons! Marathon 2: Durandal is hitting the iOS App Store as a free download this Thursday, and Marathon 1 will be updated with all the nice extras added to this port (Universal support, Joypad support, nicer menus...).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stuntman posted:

What modern shooters have you been playing?

Most of them, games like System Shock 2, Bioshock and the STALKER series make great use of hotkeys.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hammsturabi posted:

At first I thought you were crazy but this actually sounds pretty ergonomic, especially if you're using a laptop where the keyboard is fixed to the monitor and using WASD would require bending your wrist sideways.

How the gently caress?

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
What am I doing wrong that I can't play any of these wads, I got scythe1&2, Diaz, few others who are just acronyms so I don't know the names. I load em up on GZDoom using the appropriate IWAD (I assume if the splash screen image doesn't load i'm on the wrong doom) but its only the doom campaign.

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

(I assume if the splash screen image doesn't load i'm on the wrong doom)

Not sure if I can help specifically, but I'm fairly sure the splash screen would in fact load if you had the wrong IWAD. Maybe look into that?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

What am I doing wrong that I can't play any of these wads, I got scythe1&2, Diaz, few others who are just acronyms so I don't know the names. I load em up on GZDoom using the appropriate IWAD (I assume if the splash screen image doesn't load i'm on the wrong doom) but its only the doom campaign.
Scythe 1 and 2 (and most custom campaigns) are for Doom 2. Diaz doesn't have any new levels, it replaces all the weapons and enemies instead.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

This is the exact spot I stopped playing. I play a number of instruments and have a great ear for music, but holy gently caress music puzzles. Maybe it's a throwback from adventure games always having at least one awful, nonsense music puzzle to poo poo on you with, but I can't stand them in any format anymore.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

You should be able to load them by placing the WAD you want to play in the "skins" folder inside the GZDoom folder (if it's not there - make one) then running GZDoom. That's the way I learned to do it when I originally started playing with ZDoom. GZDoom works the exact same way unless they changed it in a newer release than I have.

Or you should be able to make it work by dragging and dropping the WAD onto the GZDoom executable (or the shortcut on your desktop).

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
You can also search for ZDL (ZDoom Launcher). Makes it pretty easy to select your game (Doom, Doom 2, Heretic), separate area for iwads, an you can save game/iwad setups into individual config files. I use it with GZDoom all the time.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So I just beat Duke Nukem 3D with the War Of Attrition mod, and holy poo poo is it amazing. In fact, it's the one thing that pushed me to finishing DN3D (too many hitscans in the vanilla game just got annoying). The level of growth is hysterically awesome.

I've only played the "Original Levels", and I certainly want to play more. Are the randomized levels at all fun? Or should I switch to WGRealms 2?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Take in mind that WGRealms 2 is a mashup of various games and plays quite different from Duke Nukem 3d. Aside from that is a really fun game and HARD.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jenesis was horrible. Friend and I stopped playing it coop after two levels in a row - the first starting you surrounded by about 10 Mancubus, the second involving running around in acid the entire map, followed up with a Cyberdemon + other poo poo.

Need to find a great Doom 2 megawad for coop...

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

treat posted:

This is the exact spot I stopped playing. I play a number of instruments and have a great ear for music, but holy gently caress music puzzles. Maybe it's a throwback from adventure games always having at least one awful, nonsense music puzzle to poo poo on you with, but I can't stand them in any format anymore.

This was one of the easiest puzzles in the mod, though? The chess board puzzle requires poo poo like hand-memorizing the board on a sheet of paper to figure it out. Everything else is child's play in comparison.

the entire end boss sequence is nothing short of wonderful atleast!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 16, 2011

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone have any idea why half the textures in Plutonia 2 would not load? Most of the maps are black, not sure what's causing it.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

victrix posted:

Anyone have any idea why half the textures in Plutonia 2 would not load? Most of the maps are black, not sure what's causing it.
You need to use Plutonia as your iwad not Doom2.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

H2Omelon posted:

You need to use Plutonia as your iwad not Doom2.

How do I do this? If I select it as my iwad in ZDL it won't launch, if I add Doom2 as a regular wad with P2 as the iwad, it launches, but its just Doom2 with new music.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

victrix posted:

How do I do this? If I select it as my iwad in ZDL it won't launch, if I add Doom2 as a regular wad with P2 as the iwad, it launches, but its just Doom2 with new music.
By "Plutonia as the iwad" I mean Plutonia (the original wad that was one half of Final Doom), not Plutonia 2.

If you actually mean "I can't make the original Plutonia an iwad in ZDL" then I know nothing about ZDL and can't help you there.

Alternatively just drag and drop plutonia 2 onto GZDoom.exe and use ZDoom's very own iwad selector that will pop up to select the original plutonia.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Here's how mine looks:

When you run the launcher and click the "ZDL" button, the screen on the right pops up. Here's where you'll enter your main game .wads, including the original PLUTONIA.WAD (as well as whatever source ports. I use GZDoom). When you click "OK", you'll go back to the screen on the left. Under IWADS, select whatever you entered Plutonia as. External Files is where you'll add your custom levels/wads/whatever. Here I have Plutonia 2's .wad file, as well as it's included .deh file (which I believe changes text such as level names and intermission screens in the game). Click Launch and you should be good to go.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Ah yes, the cram as many controls as possible into 1 square inch school of ui design.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SavageMessiah posted:

Ah yes, the cram as many controls as possible into 1 square inch school of ui design.

For real. Each of those buttons should be in its own tab.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I have scientifically determined that every enemy added in Doom 2 is a giant gently caress you.

This goes doubly in Brutal Doom. gently caress you Revenants :mad:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

victrix posted:

I have scientifically determined that every enemy added in Doom 2 is a giant gently caress you.

Mancubus was the best thing to happen to that game :colbert:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SavageMessiah posted:

I'm a fan of the "ZDL" button that pops up the very important configuration screen. It took me 5 solid minutes to figure out how to get to it - "That's just going to show me the credits, right? Like the name of the developer and a paypal link?".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Mancubus was the best thing to happen to that game :colbert:

Arch-viles are also awesome, especially if you've just cleared out a huge horde of monsters and wandered off assuming everything's going to stay nice and quiet :)

Pain Elementals, on the other hand, can gently caress right off.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

victrix posted:

gently caress you Revenants :mad:
This cannot be overstated. Revenants are cocks who will quite happily fire missiles into your face at point-blank range as a counter-attack. :argh:

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
The hell is ZDL? Both IDE and IDESe have built-in launcher that allow you to control all that far more comfortably for any source port. Doomseeker has that too,in fact.

Also,Doom 2 enemies are fantastic,the only problem is that many mappers don't know how to use them.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Zero Star posted:

This cannot be overstated. Revenants are cocks who will quite happily fire missiles into your face at point-blank range as a counter-attack. :argh:

...Which makes every opportunity to bat their heads off with their own arms a cathartic experience in Brutal Doom. Those assholes run faster than imps, punch harder than demons, and poo poo out rockets like they're going out of style.

Quick question, where does Skulltag save screenshots/how can I change the screenshot directory? I need to show other visual evidence of why Brutal Doom is so amazing, but I can't seem to find the screenshots folder no matter how much digging I do.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any suggestions for a fun, coop friendly Doom 2 megawad that would be rocking with Brutal Doom?

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

victrix posted:

Any suggestions for a fun, coop friendly Doom 2 megawad that would be rocking with Brutal Doom?

There is a WAD I've been playing called Vanguard. It is very good looking, has some very fun game mechanics, and is overall hard, harsh, and brutal. Cooperative play is supported, but it wasn't tested when it was released. In my opinion it works just fine.

Get it here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16463

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is it possible to play Quake Team Fortress in singleplayer? I tried enabling it as a mod in Quake and it wouldn't work.

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

Zeether posted:

Is it possible to play Quake Team Fortress in singleplayer? I tried enabling it as a mod in Quake and it wouldn't work.

I dont know but slightly related: I've noticed a good amount of players playing a TF2 de-make WAD on some Doom 2 servers.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Zero Star posted:

loving chaingunners are the worst. At least revenants aren't hitscan.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Zeether posted:

If I remember correctly the non-QuakeWorld version was possible to start up as a loopback server (single player) but it was discontinued pretty early in the lifetime of the mod. I think if you wanted to play it locally now, you'd need to go the QuakeWorld route, start up a local server, and then connect to it with a client.

It's kind of a fog in my brain though (this is more than a decade ago), so I could be completely mistaken.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I can tell some of you guys could use a few pro Doom monster strats so here's a helpful video.

note: these may not work as well in Brutal Doom because it's extra brütal

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Essobie posted:

If I remember correctly the non-QuakeWorld version was possible to start up as a loopback server (single player) but it was discontinued pretty early in the lifetime of the mod. I think if you wanted to play it locally now, you'd need to go the QuakeWorld route, start up a local server, and then connect to it with a client.

It's kind of a fog in my brain though (this is more than a decade ago), so I could be completely mistaken.

I played QWTF in single player just fine, at least in Darkplaces. Just start up the mod and type in "map start". Beware that you can only selected your class every time you finish an episode. Speed running through levels as the Scout or Mingunning Ogres with the Heavy is a lot of fun. It makes me wish there was a mod that'd let you go through Half-Life 1 with the Team Fortress Classic classes or HL2 with the TF2 classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

tooooooo bad posted:

I can tell some of you guys could use a few pro Doom monster strats so here's a helpful video.

note: these may not work as well in Brutal Doom because it's extra brütal

Haha don't try to kill Pain Elementals in close quarters in Brutal Doom. You will be schooled in the ways of pain (and explosions).