Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Royal Helm is the most grossly incandescent headgear in the game, no contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Lautrec's crown helmet is pretty jolly, too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

neetz posted:

O+S summons teeter off a little bit at that level but you're still guaranteed your fair share, same for the Painted World. Duke's Archives should bring you some hits too, you get a lot of magic centric characters hitting that up for all the goodies and Seath is a lot more manageable with one person holding his attention and another smacking his tail. I've never seen a summon sign or been summoned at New Londo :(.

65 is sort of a middle ground between mid-game and end game stuff so you can probably get picked up in most zones.

Great! Should my summon sign be at the bonfire in the castle, or somewhere else?

Hylianbunny
Dec 31, 2007

TG: oh ok time travels involved
TG: thats all you needed to say everythings cool and under control then

gravyflood posted:

Great! Should my summon sign be at the bonfire in the castle, or somewhere else?

Bonfire in the castle has worked pretty well for me so far.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, what the gently caress. I was phantoming for someone in bandit gear, and this guy named Powderfeeld was just completely unaffected by my Wrath of God entirely.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

You can use the invincibility frames of rolling/flipping to evade Wrath of the Gods. It's the best counter for it I've found. If you mess up the timing you can get screwed though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well, he must've been rolling quicker than the eye could see.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

If you're on an XBox, he could be using a character editor.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

If you're on an XBox, he could be using a character editor.

Nnnnnope! He got a few frontstabs in on me, though.

EDIT: sacevnt, are you in here? :v:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 18, 2011

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So I've been playing offline most of the time, but I really wanted to grab some stuff of that Shiva merchant selling some interesting stuff. I'm having a lot of fun buggering about with the Forest Hunters in between grinding for humanity and poo poo, but one of the things I got was the Pendant. Does it actually do anything?

And I haven't really been paying much attention to weapons, just rolling around with a Halberd first and now a Demon Spear, what are some neat weapons to try out?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

You can trade the Pendant to Snuggly the Crow for a Souvenir of Reprisal. Outside of that pretty sure the Pendant is worthless.

As for weapons, I guess it depends. For strength weapons you could look at the Black Knight weapons, Large Club dropped by Blighttown ogres, the Zweihander in the graveyard at Firelink, or even the Claymore on the Hellkite Drake bridge (not sure if this is really a "strength weapon" as the stat requirements are pretty generous). For dexterity I can't really say too much, I just started a Dexterity character myself but the Balder Sidesword is supposed to be very good. Still the Halberd is a solid weapon so there is no shame in sticking with it. Haven't used a Demon Spear myself.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

You can trade the Pendant to Snuggly the Crow for a Souvenir of Reprisal. Outside of that pretty sure the Pendant is worthless.

As for weapons, I guess it depends. For strength weapons you could look at the Black Knight weapons, Large Club dropped by Blighttown ogres, the Zweihander in the graveyard at Firelink, or even the Claymore on the Hellkite Drake bridge (not sure if this is really a "strength weapon" as the stat requirements are pretty generous). For dexterity I can't really say too much, I just started a Dexterity character myself but the Balder Sidesword is supposed to be very good. Still the Halberd is a solid weapon so there is no shame in sticking with it. Haven't used a Demon Spear myself.

The Demon Spear isn't half-bad for a Midgame weapon. Scales well with Str/Dex balanced builds and does pretty decent Lightning damage too. It's not as good as upper-level Lightning spears, but it does it's job well enough.

I'd like to give you some advice for weapons Deceitful Penguin, but could you tell me a bit more about what build you're aiming for?

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So what exactly did the patch do to "fix" attribute scaling with the weapons? I hopped on my old character to check out my weapons vs the lightning monstrosities I had crafted pretty much as soon as I hit Anor Londo, but I didn't notice much of a boost to what they were before.

Too be fair, I hadn't put a point of dex past 20, since I learned that it was totally worthless to do so, so I probably just didn't have stats enough to compete with elemental weapons. Does lightning still outclass everything ever?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If I beat Seath but haven't freed Logan will I still be able to?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Tyskil posted:

So what exactly did the patch do to "fix" attribute scaling with the weapons? I hopped on my old character to check out my weapons vs the lightning monstrosities I had crafted pretty much as soon as I hit Anor Londo, but I didn't notice much of a boost to what they were before.

Too be fair, I hadn't put a point of dex past 20, since I learned that it was totally worthless to do so, so I probably just didn't have stats enough to compete with elemental weapons. Does lightning still outclass everything ever?

I don't know the raw numbers but scaling weapons can definitely compete with lightning weapons. I breezed through the game with a strength build, ended with 36 strength and did plenty of damage. Certain enemies you'll see bigger numbers when you aren't splitting damage types. I actually prefer scaling weapons to fire/lightning weapons now.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

If I beat Seath but haven't freed Logan will I still be able to?

If he's in the Archives jail and you beat Seath he pulls a Lautrec and frees himself. Doesn't change a thing, so you'll be fine. But those sweet, sweet sorceries a little earlier!

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Tyskil posted:

The patch roughly increased scaling on all weapons by 20%. At 20 Dex, you won't see much of an increase in damage, especially compared to fully upgraded Lightning weapons. In terms of raw numbers, Lightning weapons still have a higher Attack Rating, but you need to take enemy defense into consideration as well. Physical and Lightning AR values are lower individually on Lightning weapons and get hit much harder from defense than a weapon with a high rating in one value would. It's why the Moonlight Greatsword, a weapon with relatively low overall Attack Rating, is considered one of the best weapons of mages instead of an Enchanted Claymore or something similar.

PKJC
May 7, 2009
Another post from me, which means another new speedrun, this one again by Twilight. Sadly not available without a Nicovideo account, viewing on external sites is disabled for some reason. Those of you without, hopefully Youtube user sansviedotcom or someone else notices and uploads it soon.

Holy poo poo this bug my brain is full of gently caress. poo poo gets real around 6:30 in part 1.

Part 1
Part 2

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kongming posted:

I like the Man-Serpent Greatsword for a STR weapon, it has a similar moveset to the Claymore (although the 1-hand R2 isn't nearly as good) but A scaling for STR.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

NuckmasterJ posted:

So I've been down trying to get summoned on Goat.cx dragon runs and I'm at the point where I'm yelling at my xbox trying to get these people to turn around and kill the channeller before they go fight the boss. I just would like to assume if you've done the research to know how to get the Drake Sword, where the Grass Crest Shield is and got past the Black Knight to get it that you would of cleared the level of mini boss's before you attempt the zone boss. :cthulhu:

Do people get smarter at later boss fights? lol

I've mentioned this before, but if you notice that the channeler is still there, it is trivial to turn around and shoot him in the face with a bow until he dies.

e: if you're using a weapon with DEX scaling, get 40 DEX or don't bother.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Papercut posted:

I like the Man-Serpent Greatsword for a STR weapon, it has a similar moveset to the Claymore (although the 1-hand R2 isn't nearly as good) but A scaling for STR.
It is pretty good, but I just hate the god damned look of the thing. The texture on it seems really low quality. The claymore 1h r2 is definitely missed though. That thrust is a really useful claymore move.

I still have to go with the large club for mid-20s strength req weapons though. Good jump attack, unique and useful sweeping 1h r2. Its 2h r1 packs good power and its 2h r2 is...okay well they can't all be winners. Still, it is a good weapon, either as a permanent solution or as a holdover until you can get a black knight greataxe.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Filthy Monkey posted:

It is pretty good, but I just hate the god damned look of the thing. The texture on it seems really low quality. The claymore 1h r2 is definitely missed though. That thrust is a really useful claymore move.

I still have to go with the large club for mid-20s strength req weapons though. Good jump attack, unique and useful sweeping 1h r2. Its 2h r1 packs good power and its 2h r2 is...okay well they can't all be winners. Still, it is a good weapon, either as a permanent solution or as a holdover until you can get a black knight greataxe.

Large Club 2hR2 is amazing, you take that back. :colbert:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
It's possible that this was already discussed, but the thread is massive, so...

Let's assume that it's no problem to always have 10 humanity on me. Is there any point in making a chaos weapon? If so, which one would you recommend to convert?

I was looking a bit on wiki and the damage in the end (at max chaos upgrade) doesn't make it to be worth doing, but it is unclear to me based on those numbers how much the humanity-based scaling adds to it, so I would appreciate any insights on this.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Chaos weapons are not really worth using compared to lightning, especially since lightning resistance is way less common than fire (in PvP and PvE). It's not a terrible idea to have a single chaos weapon since they do slightly more damage than lightning at 10 humanity, but against most enemies the difference in resistances will balance it out.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

ivantod posted:

It's possible that this was already discussed, but the thread is massive, so...

Let's assume that it's no problem to always have 10 humanity on me. Is there any point in making a chaos weapon? If so, which one would you recommend to convert?

I was looking a bit on wiki and the damage in the end (at max chaos upgrade) doesn't make it to be worth doing, but it is unclear to me based on those numbers how much the humanity-based scaling adds to it, so I would appreciate any insights on this.

Chaos weapons are awesome. The damage split on them is more biased then lightning weapons, meaning more damage will penetrate armor.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

oneliquidninja posted:

Chaos weapons are awesome. The damage split on them is more biased then lightning weapons, meaning more damage will penetrate armor.

Not by much, though. A few dozen points at most. But they do have slightly higher damage than normal Fire weapons, so they're not bad if you're good enough to keep 10 Humanity on hand.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
I have started an archery character. Bows only, no shields, no magic, no pyro (final destination). The only other weapon allowed is bare fists (just to be able to backstab and kick people around).

His name is Archariot. Later on I facepalmed when I realized I should have called him David Bowie. So...I'll call him that anyways. Pumped DEX and VIT, using a +7 Longbow and +6 Pharis Bow at the moment, might make elemental bows for giggles. Souls are split between upgrading, leveling and most importantly buying more ammo. I always keep 999 wooden arrows, but Large are definitely where it's at before Anor Londo.

Some findings: You can start the game as a ranger (I think that's the name) that comes with 30 arrows. You only need 16 to beat the Asylum Demon.

And, if you have ever wondered to yourself, "Is it possible to solo the Capra Demon with only a Longbow and no shield?" The answer is yes. :black101:

RayBradberry
Nov 4, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
anyone else regretting the body type they chose at the start of the game? I gave my character the "fat legs" body, and some of the heftier armors like smough's or havel's overlap and clip together at different spots, it looks awful. d'oh

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Jetpack Postman posted:

Not by much, though. A few dozen points at most. But they do have slightly higher damage than normal Fire weapons, so they're not bad if you're good enough to keep 10 Humanity on hand.

Yeah, I suppose it is only a few dozen points.

But comparing a +5 Chaos Great Scythe (262/304) to a +5 Lightning Great Scythe (275/280). The Chaos Scythe has higher damage over all and the bias is more towards the element.

But yeah, if you don't have the humanity to back them up the damage will suffer. I use a +5 Chaos Great Scythe on one of my characters and I love it.

I suppose when all is said and done they're really comparable damage wise considering, as rabid weasel said, that fire resist tends to be higher then lightning resist. But hey, it's one less plain slab to farm up and I get sick of hearing zap zap zap all the time, in pvp and pve.

For back stab weapons people seem to prefer chaos, especially when coupled with a hornet ring. Slightly higher damage to get passed to the multipliers is a good thing.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

RayBradberry posted:

anyone else regretting the body type they chose at the start of the game? I gave my character the "fat legs" body, and some of the heftier armors like smough's or havel's overlap and clip together at different spots, it looks awful. d'oh

I will never, ever regret making my DEX based fencer ninja fat.

Edo Animus posted:

Archery!

I've actually been thinking of starting this exact character, except with crossbows. I figure I could just use the binoculars trick and some practice to snipe things, and the crossbow's lock on thing would be much better for when poo poo decides to not die before it gets to me. Plus, you know, Avelyn. Would that be a "viable" build?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oneliquidninja posted:

For back stab weapons people seem to prefer chaos, especially when coupled with a hornet ring. Slightly higher damage to get passed to the multipliers is a good thing.

I was going to mention this but I haven't got round to trying out a chaos hornet backstab build yet and I didn't want to pass on information that I wasn't 100% sure of the actual effectiveness of V:)V

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Alright guys, thanks for the opinions. I guess I'll go and make a chaos weapon to see how it is. Just need to farm some red titanite first because I really don't want to have to make more than one trip down to the Catacombs blacksmith!

Having 10 humanity is not really a problem, easily obtained through phantoming which I like to do anyway.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I'm going to get an Attunement slot for my Knight, what is more useful, Fireball or Iron Skin?

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

MZ posted:

I'm going to get an Attunement slot for my Knight, what is more useful, Fireball or Iron Skin?

I would say Fireball for general use, you can swap your spells at any bonfire so it's not permanent once you equip a spell in your slot.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kongming posted:

Well, drat. Someone said it gave additional lines for some fucker down below New Londo, but the rumours about this game are just, it's like in days before the internet. You can fight Shao Kang!

Kongming posted:

Hmm, never bothered trying the club because of how low my strength was, it might be worth a try now. The problem I have with many of the 2H swords is how Slow they are. I got the Flamberge and Serpent Greatsword when grabbing the Covetous ring and they honestly didn't strike me as good ones, how do they differ from the other 2H weapons? Am I just not used to them? Because I can totally believe that.

Jetpack Postman posted:

The Demon Spear isn't half-bad for a Midgame weapon. Scales well with Str/Dex balanced builds and does pretty decent Lightning damage too. It's not as good as upper-level Lightning spears, but it does it's job well enough.

I'd like to give you some advice for weapons Deceitful Penguin, but could you tell me a bit more about what build you're aiming for?
Thus far I'd been keeping a balanced build, but strength has been creeping up higher and higher and is finally higher than Dex now because of all the 2H weapons I got and wanted to test. I have around 15 int, don't have access to the PS3 right now, but my Stamina could be better, it's 18-ish. Faith is in the crapper.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Huh, and with the poison thing too. I think I'll give it a try when I start again later today.

And thanks guys, this game is a pretty big mystery even with the wiki and I'm rather overwhelmed by it. It's good to know I can turn here for help. :)

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Tyskil posted:

I will never, ever regret making my DEX based fencer ninja fat.

I've actually been thinking of starting this exact character, except with crossbows. I figure I could just use the binoculars trick and some practice to snipe things, and the crossbow's lock on thing would be much better for when poo poo decides to not die before it gets to me. Plus, you know, Avelyn. Would that be a "viable" build?

I think I'll include Crossbows on my Archer too, just because I've never used them before, but not as main damage dealing weapons. The reason being that, although not immediately obvious, you can dodge roll while aiming with the bow which includes canceling your readied shot even if using the lock-on mode.

Essentially, with about 20-25 DEX, even the dirt cheap wooden arrows do around 113 damage to Hollow Soldiers at close to medium range, even more with head shots. I don't regret giving this character the Leon Kennedy haircut, because the Undead Burg is basically Resident Evil 4 with the setup; you stand still trying to line up head shots on zombies (or not-zombies) and roll out the way if things get too close.

Another fun fact (that was mentioned here earlier, but I'll confirm as being awesome): When I soloed Quelaag (I refuse to count Mildred's performance as "help"), you can, in fact, stun lock her by repeatedly shooting arrows into her squishy human part! :dance:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Mad Pills posted:

I would say Fireball for general use, you can swap your spells at any bonfire so it's not permanent once you equip a spell in your slot.

Ah awesome, I was worried they'd be permanent!

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

oneliquidninja posted:

But comparing a +5 Chaos Great Scythe (262/304) to a +5 Lightning Great Scythe (275/280). The Chaos Scythe has higher damage over all and the bias is more towards the element.

But yeah, if you don't have the humanity to back them up the damage will suffer. I use a +5 Chaos Great Scythe on one of my characters and I love it.

To add to this, the Humanity bonus damage is significant. I use a Chaos Claymore +5. With no humanity against those crystal undeads in the archives, it does like 95 damage with a regular attack. With 10 humanity, it does 292. It is like stupid how big the difference is against some enemies.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite part of the patch is rolling up my new character, finding gear that upgrades with Twinkling Titanite (black knight sword, boar helm) and having no problems just upgrading it as I go along. Beats having to have some 30-40 hour plan as to how you're going to use it so you don't screw yourself later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hmm, never bothered trying the club because of how low my strength was, it might be worth a try now. The problem I have with many of the 2H swords is how Slow they are. I got the Flamberge and Serpent Greatsword when grabbing the Covetous ring and they honestly didn't strike me as good ones, how do they differ from the other 2H weapons? Am I just not used to them? Because I can totally believe that.

You get used to the slow weapons, just like anything in this game. You adjust to the fact that instead of doing rapid low-damage hits you're just going to pound the enemy with one or two high-damage hits. And when you need a quick hit, you just use the jumping R2 attack because that's still really quick.

The only thing I don't like about the Large Club is that when you're 2-handing, if you try for a jumping R2 and fail you're completely hosed because it's 2-hand R2 is terrible (insanely slow and short range).

• Locked thread