Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Splizwarf posted:

How much of AI is in the greater DC area? Sheesh. We gotta hang out.

I am in the Dc area, but had no idea there were more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I am in the Dc area, but had no idea there were more.

I just moved up here

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

FatCow posted:

Yours for the low price of

$stolen.goods

I think it's a guy who does storage auctions. I just bought a propane heater from him a week or so ago. Legit dude. I hope he emails me back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought my obviously stolen sawzall out of the back of a van from a craigslist ad. I forget what I paid but it retailed for $300, I know I paid less than $50 for it.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think you're missing the obvious solution here.
insulation + plastic sheeting + pegboard. Pegboard EVERYWHERE! (save the areas where you'll be shelving.

This sounds like a great way to put 1000 little holes in your vapor barrier. I would do plywood or OSB then put french cleats everywhere on everything.

http://benchmark.20m.com/workshop/ShopTour_Current/ShopTour_Current.html

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rhyno posted:

I bought my obviously stolen sawzall out of the back of a van from a craigslist ad. I forget what I paid but it retailed for $300, I know I paid less than $50 for it.

Congrats! Receiving stolen goods is a crime. And you just admitted to it in a recorded medium. Your parents must be proud.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

Congrats! Receiving stolen goods is a crime. And you just admitted to it in a recorded medium. Your parents must be proud.

I think there is a legal difference between thinking "this item is cheap and the seller seems shady, I wouldn't be surprised if this was stolen" and "this guy just told me it's stolen."

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CornHolio posted:

I think there is a legal difference between thinking "this item is cheap and the seller seems shady, I wouldn't be surprised if this was stolen" and "this guy just told me it's stolen."

Depends on the state.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

revmoo posted:

If the person selling it tells you it's stolen, you have to walk out on it. Otherwise, it's used goods sold cheap, and that's that. Rhyno, did he tell you it was stolen?

Maybe it is stolen, maybe the guy just wants it the hell out of the house, maybe he's being deported or sent to jail for 30 years. I've bought a couple things from people being deployed who were in base housing and didn't have anywhere to keep extra stuff for 2 years (tools, not Proto so not stolen from the base shop). My first computer came real cheap from a guy moving back to Germany whose better deal had backed out at the last minute.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 16, 2011

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
if I have any suspicion that something stolen I don't buy it.

buyers of stolen goods are the only reason thieves exist. And I hate thieves.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

kastein posted:

Better not buy any used parts from an Integra Type R or Civic SiR. :3:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

I disagree, I think a lot of thieves take things for personal use.

I think your policy assumes the worst of people. My approach to life says that most people are on the level and if I say "Is this stolen?" and they say "No" then it's not stolen. Suspecting someone stole something because they're selling it too cheap, are a different color, dressed too well or too badly, smelly, have a tremor, or don't speak the your language well is a dick move. v:shobon:v

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Always makes me wonder about car stereos. All cars nowadays have a stereo that's at least halfway decent, and the majority of them are a custom fitting. I've got a suspicion that we're now in a situation where a stolen car radio can only reasonably be sold on to someone who has had their radio stolen...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am looking at getting my dad a Jaw Horse for xmas. He is always building something out of wood. He is also 85 but still pretty spry. Is the Jaw Horse junk or a pretty useful thing?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

Always makes me wonder about car stereos. All cars nowadays have a stereo that's at least halfway decent, and the majority of them are a custom fitting. I've got a suspicion that we're now in a situation where a stolen car radio can only reasonably be sold on to someone who has had their radio stolen...

Who the hell buys a radio off a bloke nowadays? I don't understand it at all.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
We're getting off toolchat pretty far, but manufacturers could encode the VIN on some ROM inside the radio and probably stop OEM theft overnight. I don't think OEM radios are stolen very often though...

Re: tools. I just got the green cordless Ryobi 200ft/lb impact. I'm thinking on going and swapping it for the plug-in Crafstman 350ft/lb impact at Sears. I'm worried the 200ft/lb won't be adequate in the long run, plus dealing with battery life, age, etc.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

revmoo posted:

We're getting off toolchat pretty far, but manufacturers could encode the VIN on some ROM inside the radio and probably stop OEM theft overnight.

This would really piss off salvage yards. Some OEM stereos are worth as much as $1000 used.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

revmoo posted:

We're getting off toolchat pretty far, but manufacturers could encode the VIN on some ROM inside the radio and probably stop OEM theft overnight. I don't think OEM radios are stolen very often though...

I'd give it less than 3 months before you can get the chip bypassed at your local flea market.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
GM does it with their ECUs and there's never been a fix for that, they're unresellable. Salvage yards sell them to circuit board melters. But I guess that's not a stereo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Just got this today. Brand new, still had the packing film over the windows. I'm going to be building a deck next Spring and this is exactly what I was looking for. $100? meatpimp is happy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
EDIT: nm.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Over the course of several days at work I've read through the entire thread, but can't recall anyone commenting on these sets:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-flexible-wrench-set-66087.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-metric-flex-head-combo-wrench-set-66286.html

Reviews seem decent on their site and I was looking to pick some up as my first ratcheting wrenches.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I needed a small toolbox to lockup my tools at work. Not finding anything that really fit my needs, I decided to slap some stainless on an old electrical panel from work.

Works perfect (inside, just about every tool needed to apply most insulations - minus my cement stuff, big saws, and spare banding tools). Added a little divider with some aluminium flatbar and some more stainless.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

metallicaeg posted:

Over the course of several days at work I've read through the entire thread, but can't recall anyone commenting on these sets:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-metric-flex-head-combo-wrench-set-66286.html

Reviews seem decent on their site and I was looking to pick some up as my first ratcheting wrenches.

I've got the SAE set (Minus the goddamn 9/16, which I lost). The ratcheting mechanism feels pretty tight, but it gets jammed sometimes and you have to jerk it the other way to un-jam it sometimes. The fit is OK, it doesn't feel necessarily sloppy, but it's not super finely manufactured either. They're not bad for the price, I use them every now and again, and they're not annoying to use. Nobody else seems to make a swiveling, non-reversible, combo ratcheting wrench like that. Thinking of getting the metric set.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Raluek posted:

Nobody else seems to make a swiveling, non-reversible, combo ratcheting wrench like that.

Except for the Gearwrenches that these are the generic knockoff of. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sockington posted:

I needed a small toolbox to lockup my tools at work. Not finding anything that really fit my needs, I decided to slap some stainless on an old electrical panel from work.

Awesome. You have the very first Square D toolbox.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

Square D toolbox.

Federal Pioneer.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

metallicaeg posted:

I've got these in metric, and Craftsman non-flexing ratchet wrenches in SAE. I bought these for the flex head, but ended up hating it; it always ends up pivoting off the nut/bolt, and makes it much harder to use than a simple straight ratchet-wrench would have been. The flex head ended up not working for the job I bought it for (ultimately ended up with a crow's foot) and hasn't been nearly as useful in general use as I expected it to be. I've yet to run into a situation that isn't either done more easily with either a straight ratchet wrench or a simple socket extension. Other than that, no complaints on the ratcheting part, just the poor utility of the flex head.

If you can only afford one set, I highly recommend plain ordinary straight ratchet wrenches instead.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 17, 2011

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

And the Gearwrenches are only $5 more for a larger set....

http://www.truevalue.com/product/7-Piece-Flex-Ratcheting-Metric-Wrench-Set/35696.uts

edit: if anyone is going to buy this set you can use the coupon code STOCKING5 and get $5 off, making this $25 for a 7 piece ratcheting flex head set.

Sex Weirdo fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 17, 2011

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I've had the flex head gearwrench set for the past couple years and I've been pretty happy with them overall. The flex head is bit annoying at times but works okay for the most part. If I had the non-flex versions I would probably use those most of the time. They've taken light beatings with my 16oz hammer without breaking so they seem durable enough.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

I guess I haven't seen the flex-head Gearwrenches in stores, always the fixed or twisted ones. Looking on their website, looks like they do indeed make them that way. Might have to get a set, although Amazon sells the singles for $17. No way I'm going to pay that to replace my missing 9/16" one.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Raluek posted:

I guess I haven't seen the flex-head Gearwrenches in stores, always the fixed or twisted ones. Looking on their website, looks like they do indeed make them that way. Might have to get a set, although Amazon sells the singles for $17. No way I'm going to pay that to replace my missing 9/16" one.

Sears just had a sale on gearwrench flex and nonflex wrenches. Good deals ($27? for 7 piece flex set) and a little lower for nonflex. I love gearwrench stuff but you have to catch it on sale because it retails for way too much.

velocross fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 18, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I recommend the locking version flex-heads (locks the angle); they cost a little more but it's been worth it for me. Also, I've heard a lot of good about the unexpected amount of grunt you can put on the twist ones.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sockington posted:

Better not buy any used parts from an Integra Type R or Civic SiR. :3:
fortunately I don't own any such silly vehicles :smug: just big banged up rusty trucks.

You could encode a serial number or VIN in an OEM stereo easily. Hell, there are premade chips for it - Dallas Semiconductors makes ICs with a 48 bit unique ID number lasered into the die at the factory for this sort of thing, and they're pulled from their MAC address block allocation so you can even use them as MAC addresses if you need to. The only problems:
1. car manufacturers are stupid and will probably use an I2C EEPROM that any retard can read, hex edit, and rewrite with about 5 minutes spent on the reverse engineering and decoding
2. if not, they will use some laser-burned part that has the same footprint and interface as a common I2C EEPROM that any retard can read, decode, write a replacement, and solder in with about 10 minutes spent on reverse engineering, decoding, and soldering

large corporation's concept of hardware security is laughable at best.

e: oh, I have one flex head gear wrench for a specific purpose - a 15mm for removing torque converter bolts from 4.0L/AW4 equipped Jeeps. Makes the job so easy. I have a stubby 9/16" one as well for removing NP231 transfer cases from the same vehicles, makes it so you don't have to drop the trans down as far before you can get to the bolts at the top.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Pegboard EVERYWHERE! (save the areas where you'll be shelving.

Why not put pegboard behind the shelves too, in case you decide to move the shelves? If I ever get enough money to build my ideal shop, it's going to have a wall or two of Madix gondolas (there are a couple of competing brands, but Madix is the best).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

Why not put pegboard behind the shelves too, in case you decide to move the shelves? If I ever get enough money to build my ideal shop, it's going to have a wall or two of Madix gondolas (there are a couple of competing brands, but Madix is the best).

As mentioned, pegboard is murder for your vapour barrier - unless you can space it off the wall a bit. Otherwise, your insulation's vapour barrier will look like the Valentine's Day massacre behind the pegboard.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, ideally put up plywood with 3/4 inch spacers, then pegboard.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, ideally put up plywood with 3/4 inch spacers, then pegboard.

Drywall is cheaper than plywood. And may slow down the inevitable garage fire.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Delivery McGee posted:

because I'd most likely use the framing of the garage to build my shelves on.
sort of like the ones I already built.

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/11/garage-makeover-30.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This setup kicks rear end