Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

TehKrush posted:

I made a Minecraft comic. http://i.imgur.com/Ytnen.png

I think it's pretty good. :P

You think wrong.

Also, get the gently caress out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

YOURFRIEND posted:

I was seeing if that one fighting game tournament was up and I noticed Notch is streaming: http://www.twitch.tv/notch

I don't know.

*CLACK CLACK CLACK* Mashing the keyboard is my proof of being a good programmer. So he's making a "retro" game based off his own game?

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.

YOURFRIEND posted:

I was seeing if that one fighting game tournament was up and I noticed Notch is streaming: http://www.twitch.tv/notch

I don't know.

About sums up Minecraft's planning I think

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

You lost interest after the Halloween alpha update? Why are you still hanging around the thread is you haven't been in to Minecraft in over a year?

I haven't really played in that long either, aside from the occasional adventure map, but I enjoy seeing the cool things that people build. Also seeing what insane, half-baked features Notch is adding and reading about delicious drama. I also have friends who still play Minecraft, so it's nice to be able to chat about that.

Every time I try to play, I think of a bunch of cool things to build into the landscape, start gathering resources, and then get killed and lose all motivation to start over. I should probably just play creative, but eh.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Narxysus posted:

About sums up Minecraft's planning I think

Man, the way he wrote his coordinates for text output :psyduck:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jetsetlemming posted:

Man, the way he wrote his coordinates for text output :psyduck:

Yeah, if I recall, Minecraft's text rendering is similarly pants-on-head retarded, which is part of why custom fonts flip the gently caress out and don't space correctly.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

fondue posted:

It has a new developer at the lead and honestly there are a lot of people that have a dream of making it more than it is (see the Minecraft Mod thread) so I would say you're wrong.

I see what you're saying with the new developer, and it does give me hope for the future, but how does having modders add stuff and fix inherent problems make my point wrong? I never said anything about the modding community, and I could care less about all that stuff. I paid good money for the unmodded game, I don't want to spend hours researching different mods and installing them and then finding out they break other mods.

If I sold you a house that had missing walls, broken windows, hallways that go nowhere and leaky plumbing, and then said "Welp, this house is finished, enjoy!" You would have every right to be upset and dissatisfied. And imagine your aggravation if every time you complained about how lovely your house is, people around you said "Oh, there is nothing wrong with your house, see it's perfect... just wait for the volunteer do-gooders in the community to come 'round and fix it!"

I can't believe these spoiled, entitled goons who demand working homes.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Yeah, why didn't he use a few of his 48 hours writing some typesetting and kerning stuff for one paragraph of text on one screen?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Learn a real programming language and stop writing in java :bang:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Slickdrac posted:

You don't know very much about programming.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

baby puzzle posted:

Yeah, why didn't he use a few of his 48 hours writing some typesetting and kerning stuff for one paragraph of text on one screen?
"0 * 8 + 4" is a pretty lovely way of writing "4".

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jetsetlemming posted:

"0 * 8 + 4" is a pretty lovely way of writing "4".

Almost comically so. I assume that originally it wasn't 0 and was later changed to that value, but I still don't understand how you end up in that situation without noticing.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Chalks posted:

Almost comically so. I assume that originally it wasn't 0 and was later changed to that value, but I still don't understand how you end up in that situation without noticing.
I'm going to assume he was copypasting the text output lines and altering them as needed. The x*8+y math was for the "HOW TO PLAY" headline, and he never bothered to remove it from the explanation lines, even though they're all just "4". I don't know if Eclipse translates that math on compile so that it doesn't have to be done on runtime, but it's still a bad idea to leave poo poo looking like that (or to mass copy paste text at all in the first place, the rule of thumb is at most one single line at a time, then edit).

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Chalks posted:

I have other issue with the code, but I kind of understand how he came up with 0*8+4 and how he can have no issue with it.

Though I would have done something like
code:
leftAlign*charWidth+offest;
instead.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'm going to assume he was copypasting the text output lines and altering them as needed. The x*8+y math was for the "HOW TO PLAY" headline, and he never bothered to remove it from the explanation lines, even though they're all just "4". I don't know if Eclipse translates that math on compile so that it doesn't have to be done on runtime, but it's still a bad idea to leave poo poo looking like that (or to mass copy paste text at all in the first place, the rule of thumb is at most one single line at a time, then edit).

I think it's so it iterates in blocks the size of the letters.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Wheeze posted:

I haven't really played in that long either, aside from the occasional adventure map, but I enjoy seeing the cool things that people build. Also seeing what insane, half-baked features Notch is adding and reading about delicious drama. I also have friends who still play Minecraft, so it's nice to be able to chat about that.

Every time I try to play, I think of a bunch of cool things to build into the landscape, start gathering resources, and then get killed and lose all motivation to start over. I should probably just play creative, but eh.

You may also want to give Equivalent Exchange a try. It allows you to (eventually) make ridiculously game-breaking equipment. Eventually you almost wind up being able to do anything that you could do anyway in creative mode.

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

Oh, I played with Technic for a few days. It was cool, but way too complicated for me. Pipes and alchemy and Redpower are definitely the kinds of things that should be in the vanilla game, but it was a lot of new stuff to learn and I didn't have the patience (and also the documentation wasn't very good). I do like the idea of being able to build all the crazy contraptions though.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I was watching the stream a few hours ago and he was writing the about page and dedicated it to his dad. Sounds like maybe his dad passed and that is the bad news :(

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.

dsylecxia posted:

i don't know if there's a proper name for this within the minecraft community, but i like doing something i call a "nomad run" or "backpacking". this is where, instead of building a proper home/base and staying relatively close to it, i forego all that entirely and just constantly move in one direction to see how far i can get on a single life (since it became available, i usually do this on hardcore mode). living off of just your on-hand inventory is actually way easier than i thought it'd be.

so far the furthest i've traveled in a single life is about 90,000 meters (where one block = one meter, of course). after crossing a rather long ocean on this run, i got onto land at night and got into a fight with some skeletons. i didn't happen to notice i was running around next to probably the deepest surface-level gorge i've ever encountered (it was seriously like 30-40 meters deep), so as i hopped around trying to avoid arrows, i accidentally hopped into the gorge and died horribly. it was a pretty big letdown since i was less than 10,000 meters from my goal, 100,000.

it's been a while since i've gone backpacking but i'm giving it another go right now. so far i'm about 7,000 meters in on this run.

so, have you guys ever tried anything like this? if not, it's definitely a great challenge to try if you've played a lot of minecraft and want to try something new.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is actually a really cool idea and could breathe some new life into the game, especially with a bunch of mods implemented. I actually just gave it a shot. Didn't get very far though because I'm away from home and only have my laptop. Track pads are no way to play first person games. :argh:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

a starwar betamax posted:

I see what you're saying with the new developer, and it does give me hope for the future, but how does having modders add stuff and fix inherent problems make my point wrong?
... terrible analogy deleted ...

I can't believe these spoiled, entitled goons who demand working homes.
If you isolate the game in a vacuum then yes, it's not what was promised. That said, the game doesn't exist in a vacuum and due to the nature of how it was created is incredibly extendable and richer than its creators limited imagination.

I un-ironically enjoy the game as-is. It's unusual, has weird game mechanics, and often the rewards don't match effort to achieve them - but I don't care. I have fun.

Other games have come out since I started playing minecraft - games more thought out, planned, detailed, etc, but but despite all of its flaws I always come back to minecraft.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Shut up. You can write bad code in any language.

On another note, gotta love the Color.get(....) in each row instead of storing it just above so that changing color of the text would be... abit easier. Just a small thing but kinda shows bad coding practises.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kem Rixen posted:

On the private server I play on we've been running into that problem since we're expanding out our original city greatly. New stuff we've added that I don't see in your list are, a warehouse, docks, city hall, library, marketplace, and a train station. We also have an industrial district on the outskirts of the city where we're building some factories. We just started thinking of areas in Sim City for ideas, hope this helps some.

Thanks for the idea for a jail, we need one of those in our city.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Give each neighborhood or block its own feel. Maybe all of the houses have black roofs or have sandstone walls or are all circular or something. Make a neighborhood where all the houses are up in big trees. Make a rural neighborhood where there are like three houses and an absolutely staggering amount of wheat, sugarcane, and livestock.

This way you can say something like, "Hey, meet me over in the Black Roof neighborhood, I wanna show you this house that came out perfect" or something. You'll have good landmarks for navigation and wandering around will show diversity.

Also, if you're on a river or ocean, you should definitely have a dock and warehouse section. And off of that dock, you can build boats.

Thanks for the ideas, between the these and what I've got planned I should be able to fill out the majority of the area nicely.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I know that I've already said it about 50 pages ago, but the best yogscast videos are the ones where the map creator just has no grasp of the english language

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Bicehunter posted:

Shut up. You can write bad code in any language.

On another note, gotta love the Color.get(....) in each row instead of storing it just above so that changing color of the text would be... abit easier. Just a small thing but kinda shows bad coding practises.

Yeah he may have his own quirks but when you think about going back and fixing things after a change has been made his problems with programming create so much extra work.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Ludum Dare is over so the game is out. Pretty amazing for something made in 48 hours regardless https://s3.amazonaws.com/ld48/ld22/index.html

\/- What doesn't? Seems to work fine for me.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 19, 2011

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Cool, it doesn't work.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Works for me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I just got a black screen. I figured something was up, so I disabled adblock and reloaded the page.

And firefox crashed.

(It appears to be okay on reload, but, yeah, disable adblock on that page.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's official. This proves that Minecraft is literally the only thing Notch can make now. He's not even head developer anymore. :smith:

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Well, he did figure out how to make it so you can carry a light source with you. Tackling one impossiblity at a time... hopefully double wielding light source and weapon is next in his queue.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Willie Trombone posted:

Well, he did figure out how to make it so you can carry a light source with you. Tackling one impossiblity at a time... hopefully double wielding light source and weapon is next in his queue.

I couldn't figure out how to get the square things you need to make the lantern. How's that go?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

I couldn't figure out how to get the square things you need to make the lantern. How's that go?

Dig up sand with a shovel and melt it in a furnace to make glass in this innovative new game.

It's OK, it's a contest that only gives you a couple days to make a game, you shouldn't expect true innovation out of it. But notch's entry seems a bit lazy.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dig up sand with a shovel and melt it in a furnace to make glass in this innovative new game.

It's OK, it's a contest that only gives you a couple days to make a game, you shouldn't expect true innovation out of it. But notch's entry seems a bit lazy.

Yeah, surely more time spent on an interesting mechanic or gameplay trick would make for a better entry rather than a range of sprites and cloned gameplay mechanics that any programmer could do? Notch is working on something that shows "look what I can physically do in X hours", not "look what I can create in X hours".

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Minicraft seems pretty cool, he knows how to get the addictive balance of item finding and crafting correct from the start. I've almost filled my cave/dungeon with lanterns and have found a crapload of iron etc, but no gems for the gem tools. I assume these are needed to break through the darker coloured stone surrounding the upward staircase in the overworld?

Never mind.

I just died. Not going through that again.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
If you're talking about the pillars in the end, you're correct. They're made of obsidian. Keep in mind that it still takes a whopping 10 seconds to break even one block of that with a diamond pickaxe, so you'll probably just want to jump up while placing dirt under you over and over instead. Or bring a ton of ladders.

For what it's worth I haven't even gone there yet on a non-creative save because it really doesn't seem worthwhile. Anyway, keep in mind that obsidian and bedrock look kind of similar, but bedrock looks more like shale. That's the bottom of the world (and the top in the nether), and it's completely unbreakable.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

TehKrush posted:

Hehe now draw it the other way. "Oh hey, a creeper ten blocks over there! I just need one more gunpowder to craft a TNT block for this trap I have in mind."

*draws blade*

*creeper despawns*

:notch:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

Hehe now draw it the other way. "Oh hey, a creeper ten blocks over there! I just need one more gunpowder to craft a TNT block for this trap I have in mind."

*draws blade*

*creeper despawns*

:notch:

More like

*draws blade*

*hit creeper twice, third hit just goes right through frozen creeper that sits there unmoving for a few seconds*

*creeper flashes in places around randomly then you die in an explosion*

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

TehKrush posted:

http://i.imgur.com/KwP69.png

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

DuFfY posted:

Minicraft seems pretty cool, he knows how to get the addictive balance of item finding and crafting correct from the start. I've almost filled my cave/dungeon with lanterns and have found a crapload of iron etc, but no gems for the gem tools. I assume these are needed to break through the darker coloured stone surrounding the upward staircase in the overworld?

Never mind.

I just died. Not going through that again.

Wow you can make tools? Huh I just swam until my sprite died and then closed it...to never open it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

http://i.imgur.com/KwP69.png

COMICBOX COMIC COLLECTION v1.0 by Bellend Sebastian

Download HERE