Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Furret Basket posted:

DUDE dude, don't you dare say anything even remotely mean about Aqua.

Hahaha I can't believe this disgraceful thing has a video.

Clearly a stunt band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eERQVL5RxA

edit: god drat it youtube, stop advertising tick and lice medicine! I'm a clean person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

DUDE dude, don't you dare say anything even remotely mean about Aqua.

Hahaha I can't believe this disgraceful thing has a video.

Actually, I really like Aqua. They're silly pop, but awesomely silly pop.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

A lot of people feel that, but most aren't being honest with themselves. Or their definition of broad is "anything on the radio". Anyway, this 'genre' isn't a huge stretch from Rammstein and Depeche Mode.

Based on everything you listed, I suggest you give Project Pitchfork another look. Rammstein got their break by touring with them.

(Eon:Eon I think is the best overall album, but their biggest hit is Timekiller, and there are great songs all throughout their career.)

I'd actually call Eon:Eon one of their worst albums as a whole, some incredibly average stuff on there aside from the single cuts. I'd recommend to try out a couple of Pitchfork albums from different eras as they're quite different sound-wise, Daimonion is an incredibly solid album with some beautiful production and sound design, it's their most played album live and the one people always recommend to new fans for good reason. Also Continuum Ride is my personal favorite and (in my opinion) the best out of the three last, completely electronic albums.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 16, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I totally agree about Eon:Eon but I Live Your Dream is still one of my favourite PP songs.

[edit]

I'm lying of course they're all my favourite.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

I'm lying of course they're all my favourite.

Carnival is best PP song, QTIYD

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Which is ALSO on Eon:Eon. I love the whole thing. Screw you haters.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Which is ALSO on Eon:Eon. I love the whole thing. Screw you haters.

Like I said, really average/boring stuff apart from the singles :colbert:

e: Don't get me wrong, I love all PP albums, including Eon:Eon, but when compared to other Pitchfork albums it's just pretty unspectacular in my opinion.

e2: THIS THREAD IS NOW PROJECT PITCHFORK FANZONE gently caress YOU ALL HERE'S HOW I'D RANK PROJECT PITCHFORK ALBUMS

1. Continuum Ride
2. NUN-Trilogy (difficult to get into, but easily the deepest stuff Spilles has ever done. The EPs are essential, too)
3. Daimonion
4. Lam-'bras
5. Dream, Tiresias!
6. ¡CHAKRA-Red!
7. Quantum Mechanics
8. IO
9. Alpha Omega
10. Entities
11. Eon:Eon
12. Dhyani
13. Kaskade (I also dig Kaskade a lot, especially tracks like Your Tempting Fantasy, Schall und Rauch and Abyss, but it's just not very balanced as a whole. Also it's got Beautiful-Logic-Strings which is the worst Pitchfork track)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 17, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is it time to talk about what our favourite albums of the year were?

For me, it was L'Unification Des Forces Opposantes by This Morn' Omina and Automatic by VNV Nation.

This Morn' Omina are always good, and L'Unification is the perfect mix of rhythmic tribal drumming and slower more contemplative interludes. I was somewhat disappointed by the Mika Goedrijk solo release the other year, but this is awesome.

Automatic, on the other hand, is a return to form after Matter+Form, Judgement and Of Faith, Power & Glory since none of those three really worked for me. Yeah, their sound has changed noticeably over the years, and they don't play things from the first two albums very much any more but Automatic is loving great. I hadn't really listened to it, since Control didn't grab me on release, but then when I went to see them live they played a bunch of their new tracks and I realised I liked them again. Nova will be the new song-you-remember-dancing-to-with-that-girl just like Standing and Beloved pretty much were before it.

I haven't bought as many CDs as I intended though, and there are quite a few of this year's releases that I intend to buy in January, including the new Synapscape which I have high hopes for.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I dunno, lots of disappointments and dashed hopes this year, including the terrible new And One record, a very good but not mindblowing Pitchfork album, an average one from Gothminister, the ultra-mediocre Rammstein single, Das Ich - Koma still not getting released this year... Some CDs I initially loved I haven't listened to at all after the initial week or two (Turmion Kätilöt, KMFDM). I think the albums that ended up being my favorites this year were the ones that took me by surprise in some way.

Diary of Dreams - Ego:X Was expecting a decent if unsurprising, basic Diary of Dreams CD, but goddamn if this isn't one of the best concept albums I've ever heard. Such a beautiful, dramatic piece of art.

Skinny Puppy - Handover I definitely like all the Puppy albums I own a lot, but this is the only one this far that I just can't stop listening to. What a bizarre album, I love it to bits.

Santa Hates You - Jolly Roger Was expecting another fun, dance-y album with goofy lyrics in the vein of Crucifix Powerbomb, got a fun, dance-y album that is also hard as a loving diamond. Not a single weak link. Kicks rear end.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 17, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

The Gothsicles - Industrialites and Magic is pretty much the only thing that really held my attention this year. A little less accessible than previous releases but after a few listens it was a permanent fixture in my headphones for quite some time.

This year sucked.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I agree with this year not being particularly spectacular.

Imperative Reaction - Imperative Reaction - I wasn't totally floored by this album when I first started listening to it, but it really grew on me over time. Really solid, although it fades a little bit towards the end, and they still have the monotony issue going on a bit.

Necro Facility - Wintermute I know there was some discussion about this album awhile ago, but I was floored. Really solid from start to finish, and I really enjoy the direction that these guys have gone in.

Fractured - Beneath the Ashes There are a few tracks on here I'm not crazy about, but some of the other tracks (For What, You Are (the Voice Inside My Head), Dig) make up for it with their awesomeness.

Releases that almost made it for me: The Birthday Massacre, Dismantled, Aesthetic Perfection. I enjoyed all of their releases this year, but they just weren't as good as I was hoping.

Here's to 2012 and Revelations by Mind.in.a.Box :woop:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I need to check out that Fractured. Totally forgot about it.

I had a roommate years ago into them, and I loved his copy of Only Human Remains ... then I picked up a copy and it had a pretty significantly different tracklisting. I didn't like it as much.

Then I saw them live and it was like ... bad metal. But I've heard they've dumped the guitars since.

(I love guitars in electro ... just didn't do it for me with Fractured)

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

somethingwicked posted:

There are snippets up on http://www.infrarot.de/mind-in-a-box/revelations/2010248

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

ARRGH YOU'RE THE ONE THAT IS DOOMED TO SINK
I have been out of the scene for a while. I know all the basics already. Though I would like to hear some suggestions of new bands to check out based on what I left off with.

Some of the bands I was listening to before I stopped trying to find out new stuff:

Porcupine Defense/Terminal Sect
NVMPH http://www.myspace.com/nvmph
Object http://www.myspace.com/objectger
Cenobita http://www.cenobita.com/
Necro Facility

Man I think I am getting old. :(

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Actually, I really like Aqua. They're silly pop, but awesomely silly pop.

Exactly.

So far I'm really enjoying Project Pitchfork, but I wont be able to settle any dispute, since I like both EON:EON and Daimonion. :)

Not really given Skinny Puppy a whirl yet.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

As for Puppy, I'd start with Rabies for the classic era and then maybe Greater Wrong of the Right as an entry point into the "post-Dwayne" stuff. If you need more guitars, try The Process. From there can branch off to the early stuff with synths roots to the gently caress you drug noise fare.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Krztoff Bile threw up a demo of a new Bile song tonight. He says that it is a musical counterpart to a screenplay/short story he's been writing called "Dead 16".

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

ARRGH YOU'RE THE ONE THAT IS DOOMED TO SINK

Jarl posted:

Make sure you check out some of their live stuff. My buddy who is pretty much a metal only fan got into them when he tagged along with me to see them during the Greater tour.

Now he listens to ohGr as well.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
Doesn't seem like anyone else has posted this yet, M.I.A.B. released an official teaser trailer for the new album with song snippets, on their FB page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_u4JcjTmSA&context=C387287fADOEgsToPDskJ4Q19f1lhLY1VnWnfZz-fK

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Jarl posted:

I got started in the early Puppy stuff, and never left. Raw, rhythmic, over-the-top, describe it how you will. Their live stuff is amazing.

Dig it
The Choke
Hexonxonx

Can anyone recommend bands with a similar sound? A lot of the bands mentioned prior have too much of a dance/techno sound for my taste.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

adamj1982 posted:

I got started in the early Puppy stuff, and never left. Raw, rhythmic, over-the-top, describe it how you will. Their live stuff is amazing.

Dig it
The Choke
Hexonxonx

Can anyone recommend bands with a similar sound? A lot of the bands mentioned prior have too much of a dance/techno sound for my taste.

Old Necro Facility (The Room, Black Paintings).

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

adamj1982 posted:

Dig it
The Choke
Hexonxonx

Putrefy Factor 7 does a pretty OK Mind era ripoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6WB5P7o2Y0

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Putrefy Factor 7 does a pretty OK Mind era ripoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6WB5P7o2Y0

Thanks for this! I know it's user created, but that house they repeatedly show in that video is like 30 minutes from me.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
There were lots of 90's bands that went for that 80's sound but never really went anywhere as I think many went too far in doing the SP/NIN impersonations as opposed to doing that style their own way. As far as decent newer bands?

Dead When I Found Her mentioned a few times here of course, for that late 80's industrial style (but done with very good 2010 production). Though most of it is danceable it has a 'listening' vibe, at times rock-oriented. Especially their mid-tempo stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um030N1rJs8&feature=related

Also Interlace, though dancey at times is also really dark and cold with emotion. Almost a blend of 90's and newer industrial styles, even a bit Too Dark Park-ish on their last release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzjA7DVnZo&feature=related

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Cleaner posted:

There were lots of 90's bands that went for that 80's sound but never really went anywhere as I think many went too far in doing the SP/NIN impersonations as opposed to doing that style their own way.

That's the thing. In theory, one might want a band that sounds like classic Skinny Puppy, but in reality, what made SP great was experimentation and evolution. A band that tries to sound like a bunch of forgotten B-sides from an earlier point in some other band's career is not interesting.

What I'm saying is Necro Facility sucks.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So as to not sift through 29 pages of this thread I'm going to just ask here.

Does Celldweller fall into this genre, or is it closer to something else? If it does, can anyone recommend some artists that sound similar to them?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Cleaner posted:

There were lots of 90's bands that went for that 80's sound but never really went anywhere as I think many went too far in doing the SP/NIN impersonations as opposed to doing that style their own way. As far as decent newer bands?

Dead When I Found Her mentioned a few times here of course, for that late 80's industrial style (but done with very good 2010 production). Though most of it is danceable it has a 'listening' vibe, at times rock-oriented. Especially their mid-tempo stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um030N1rJs8&feature=related

Also Interlace, though dancey at times is also really dark and cold with emotion. Almost a blend of 90's and newer industrial styles, even a bit Too Dark Park-ish on their last release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzjA7DVnZo&feature=related

No Skinny Puppy ripoff band ever uses the funky FM synthesized slap bass sound, which is the best part of 80's Skuppy, so they all pretty much suck. :colbert:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Skinny puppy ripoffs generally fail to capture both unique noisiness of the music, and their ear for strange pop hooks.

So you end up with something that sounds kinda noisy, yet at the same time you can tell what kind of synth it was made on...and something that has some pop sensibility but doesn't quite reach the point where it's catchy.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I found out this weekend that Acretongue had recently released an album, Strange Cargo. Solid stuff if you're a fan of some of the less-hard stuff like Seabound/Edge of Dawn. Dependent Records released it back in November, and we'll see it in America released by Metropolis in mid-Jan.

It's neat to see a full album by them; I've always enjoyed their remixes.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That's the thing. In theory, one might want a band that sounds like classic Skinny Puppy, but in reality, what made SP great was experimentation and evolution. A band that tries to sound like a bunch of forgotten B-sides from an earlier point in some other band's career is not interesting.

What I'm saying is Necro Facility sucks.

To be fair, technology-wise, it was a MUCH more unique time to be making music back then. MIDI was just invented along with FM synthesis (Zyklon B Zombie wink wink), sampling had just started significant progress, synth and sound-design options were being upped every year, etc.. etc... tons of huge breakthroughs. Nowadays the biggest breakthrough is more about what new iPad app emulates what synth or which DAW has the prettiest interface. The level of major breakthroughs in technology just are not the same (aside from digital format which has been around over a decade and now is more about controlerism). There are small breakthroughs in the world of computer-music but again, it's nothing that didn't already exist in some form 11 years ago.

AND the fact that everything wasn't already done to loving death genre-wise. Back then the underground was punk music and industrial didn't have a all the "scene artists" who got signed because everything about them was over the top and popular (except their actual music which they themselves didn't even care much about).

I do agree with you though Mr Brown. Hell, I honesty can't say I even "listen to industrial" because then people immediately assume I listen to KRAUTENBACHNERERTCRR with their HEAVY 4|4 dance beatz! Dressed in military clothes! "Cold" lyrics and 80's Juno synth! To the extreme! gently caress. That's not experimental-industrial. That's something else.

I'm going to call it "Boomstep". It's boomstep from now on ok

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Also, the imagery. It's 2011*, not 1992. I just don't want to be a rotting cyborg zombie anymore. That's something a granma could be into, but I live in the now.

*2012 if you read this in 20 hours.

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics
this is the best new skinny puppy riffing if you ask me :q:

http://bamn.bandcamp.com/album/by-any-means-necessary

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

somethingwicked posted:

Only four days into 2012, and already the best year ever!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Terrormisu posted:

Doesn't seem like anyone else has posted this yet, M.I.A.B. released an official teaser trailer for the new album with song snippets, on their FB page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_u4JcjTmSA&context=C387287fADOEgsToPDskJ4Q19f1lhLY1VnWnfZz-fK

:drat: That sounds amazing. Only a few weeks to go, too.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
I listened to the soundtrack for the game Descent 2 after not hearing it since i was a kid and wow. this whole thing was ahead of its time. Ogre and Walk had a part in a couple tracks too.

but this one is my favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x9bjSHmwqs

e: found a better quality song

spider_ross.avi fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 7, 2012

W424
Oct 21, 2010

"Robert" posted:

this is the best new skinny puppy riffing if you ask me :q:

http://bamn.bandcamp.com/album/by-any-means-necessary

This was pretty great, bought all their poo poo. Thanks.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
Huge Depeche Mode, De/Vision, Covenant fan here... God drat it... why have I not discovered Necro Facility until now?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Great news!

quote:

Bruno Kramm his extremely happy to report that his band colleague and friend Stefan Ackermann not only survived a severe brain hemorrhage but also the critical first 6 months - against all odds. Today, the Das Ich singer feels a lot better.

Das Ich have scheduled a band rehearsal in April and hope to be able to reunite on stage late 2012.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Oh my god I feel so relieved. I was super worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Necessary Response - Tomorrow works amazingly well with T2 as a 'music video'. In fact, this is way better than most official music videos.