Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What I'm trying to say is, it frustrates me that more people don't walk through the Lego aisle and lose a little more faith in the products future when all you see are Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Ninjago (??), Heroes Factory or whatever, etc. Atlantis was a dud for me, Power Miners was complete trash. From 2010 to 2011, my Lego spending dropped by something like 200% because there's nothing interesting to me, and I don't know what to look forward to. I couldn't be less interested in LOTR. I want more space, pirates, and castle.

Power Miners and Atlantis weren't bad if you could get them on sale. The price per part markups were just too steep -- as a set, 8708 looked awesome, but $50 for 259 pieces is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Time Cowboy posted:

Power Miners and Atlantis weren't bad if you could get them on sale. The price per part markups were just too steep -- as a set, 8708 looked awesome, but $50 for 259 pieces is absurd.

I wonder if that had to do with all the new pieces they had to mold and print for those sets. Pirates suffered the same problem but maybe to a lesser extent, for instance, Soldiers' Fort. (http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6242-1) $49.99 and 367 pieces.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I really have tried to avoid buying prices that blow past the general 10 centers per part rule its gotten harder the past 2 years, the only atlantis set I have is the sub/base deal because I got it for $35.

I know now its getting up to 15 cents per part and sitting comfortably at 20 cents per part for anything with a bloody licence attached to it :( I don't have the restraint to quit you lego :(

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Jut posted:

Sucks if your not into the licensed themes. I skipped on Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter and I'll be skipping on LotR too :( Still bitter about the Pirates of the C theme, I would have loved more Pirates.

Yeah, same here. And I don't see how the Toy Story / Cars stuff even looks like Lego.

I am excited for LotR though.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Yeah, same here. And I don't see how the Toy Story / Cars stuff even looks like Lego.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Army-Men-on-Patrol-7595

I'm a sucker for military block sets(so generic & Megablocks), but I missed this set. I kept waiting for it to go on sale for <:10bux: it was sold out by the time it did. :smith:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Did Lego ever stop the stupid RC thing for the trains? I miss the trains that used the 9V controller because you didn't have to constantly replace batteries and have that stupid proprietary RC thing to build the train on. All I've seen trainwise are that one train from the Toy Story line and a pretty cool steam locomotive.

I really miss the old trains. I've wanted the Metroliner and the yellow cargo train for drat near forever.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Zeether posted:

Did Lego ever stop the stupid RC thing for the trains? I miss the trains that used the 9V controller because you didn't have to constantly replace batteries and have that stupid proprietary RC thing to build the train on. All I've seen trainwise are that one train from the Toy Story line and a pretty cool steam locomotive.

I really miss the old trains. I've wanted the Metroliner and the yellow cargo train for drat near forever.

Trains are still remote controlled, but the terrible RC line thy did a few years ago are gone. All the trains use the Power Functions system now. So yes, you still have to replace (or recharge) batteries, but you can do things you could never do with 9v. You can pull heavier loads, build more complex and larger trains, and strictly control the sort of speed or power you want to build into your model. Having used it for a couple years now, I can definitely say Power Functions are worth the battery hassle. If all else fails you can mod a broken 9v motor into a power pickup system!

Plus, some of the new sets are pretty cool as-is:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Maersk-Train-10219

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RodShaft posted:

I'm a sucker for military block sets(so generic & Megablocks), but I missed this set. I kept waiting for it to go on sale for <:10bux: it was sold out by the time it did. :smith:

I bought like two of those, they're fantastic. The other ToyStory sets didn't look a drat thing like Lego, though. They looked exactly like the toys in the movie, though, which was cool.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Trains are still remote controlled, but the terrible RC line thy did a few years ago are gone. All the trains use the Power Functions system now. So yes, you still have to replace (or recharge) batteries, but you can do things you could never do with 9v. You can pull heavier loads, build more complex and larger trains, and strictly control the sort of speed or power you want to build into your model. Having used it for a couple years now, I can definitely say Power Functions are worth the battery hassle. If all else fails you can mod a broken 9v motor into a power pickup system!

Is there a Christmas-y style train? I'd love one for under the tree, and I keep almost buying non-lego ones.

You know the type I mean, Red engine with the smoke stack thingy. I think I still have some of my old Unitron Monorail somewhere, but that is not Xmasy at all.

Edit: Searching for Christmas learned me that there are Lego advent calanders. That is way cooler than chocolate. And also made me realize that Lego: Nightmare Before Christmas would suck every last cent I own from me. I'm talking I would buy every set big or small at full retail the day they came out.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 19, 2011

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

RodShaft posted:

Is there a Christmas-y style train? I'd love one for under the tree, and I keep almost buying non-lego ones.

You know the type I mean, Red engine with the smoke stack thingy. I think I still have some of my old Unitron Monorail somewhere, but that is not Xmasy at all.

I think the Hogwarts Express looks Christmasy enough to not be out of place. Of course, you'll need to buy everything to get it to run...

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
^
That's the issue with the Hogwarts Express. They made a motorized one years ago, but I imagine it's pretty pricey now. The new one was a disappointment for me because it's not remotely compatible with Power Functions and needs quite a bit of rebuilding to get running. If you have any old 9v stuff you could just shove a motor under the tender, though.

There was a holiday train about 5 years ago. They don't make train exactly like what you're describing anymore, though if you bought any of the stock trains and had a few parts of your own I don't suppose it would be too hard to make one.

They have been doing a series of winter buildings in a sort of Christmas village style that are pretty nice. If you have a Lego store near you you can probably find all three that they've made. If not, there's two available online.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

RodShaft posted:

The Toy Story Western Train is also fairly close to a Christmas-style train, at least if you remove the minifigures. Like the Hogwarts one, you'd have to buy a motor separately and modify it somewhat.

Edit: Also that set doesn't come with any track.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RodShaft posted:

Come to think of it I think I saw a couple boxes of those on clearance in the checkout lanes at Target not that long ago. Maybe check something like that?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Hobnob posted:

The Toy Story Western Train is also fairly close to a Christmas-style train, at least if you remove the minifigures. Like the Hogwarts one, you'd have to buy a motor separately and modify it somewhat.

Edit: Also that set doesn't come with any track.

I think that's the closest I'm gonna get with lego.

Is there a Power Functions starter pack with tracks or am I going to have to ebay for that stuff? It looks like there's a train motor, but I'd still need a power pack and anything else?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Shuppiluliumas posted:

That's kind of cool. I remember getting the Lego catalogs as a kid and balking at the trains' prices, knowing I would never own one. Then my parents got me that blue express train with the gullwing doors for Christmas. I still have it to this day. :unsmith:

I also recall that Santa Fe train where you could build one of two cars for it with some sets, but that meant spending about $100 on multiple sets so you could have a full train.

You could use the speed regulator from the train sets to control Mindstorms motors and poo poo too. Hell, the old yellow RCX brick from Mindstorms could be hooked up to the tracks and you could program it with some C++ program to make your trains run. I don't know if the NXT brick can do that with the Power Functions trains but that would be so awesome.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Here is the list of the LOTR sets for the summer

quote:

9469 Gandalf Arrives:
- Small-sized set
- Gandalf on a horse carriage with a bunch of fireworks.
- Gandalf and Frodo minifigures.

9470 Shelob Attacks:
-Small-sized set
- Shelob attacking the 2 hobbits while Gollum looks on.
- Samwise, Frodo and Gollum minifigures.

9471 Uruk-hai Army:
- Medium-sized set
- Uruk-hai attacking a small fort.
- 4 x Uruk-hai with a siege crossbow, 1 x Rohirrim Soldier, 1 x Rider Of Rohan with his horse.

9472 Attack On Weathertop:
- Medium-sized set
- Famous scene where the Nazgul attacked the Hobbits at Weathertop.
- Samwise, Frodo, Aragon and 2 x Nazgul with their mounts.

9473 Mines Of Moria:
- Large-sized set
- Another famous scene where the Fellowship fights their way through the Mines Of Moria.
- Frogo, Gimli, Legolas, Aragon, 2 x Goblins, 2 x Skeletons and a Cave Troll!

9474 The Battle Of Helms Deep:
- Large-sized set
- The big battle at Helms Deep where the Fellowship fights off hordes of Uruk-hai.
- Aragon, Gimli, Legolas, Theoden (with horse), 5 x Uruk-hai

And here is the video with the box art http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkeZHJIgh4k&context=C384f40eADOEgsToPDskKRRjNBauup8Jm4JX-DcnEs

4 Uruk-Hai with one set, 5 with another, a cave troll? Minifigs all over the place it seems.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
This is pretty drat awesome right here.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Merchant of Death posted:

And here is the video with the box art http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkeZHJIgh4k&context=C384f40eADOEgsToPDskKRRjNBauup8Jm4JX-DcnEs

4 Uruk-Hai with one set, 5 with another, a cave troll? Minifigs all over the place it seems.

wow, an extremely mini fig heavy line without being able to actually assemble the full fellowship. Bit of an oversight there.

Overall it looks fairly mediocre.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I wonder if that is going to be a new horse figure, or if it is just for that box art. A rearing horse like that would be pretty nice.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Overall disappointing.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Weren't there also like two different spider attack sets in the Harry Potter line?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
No Hobbiton, or at least Bag End? Lame.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Ville Valo posted:

No Hobbiton, or at least Bag End? Lame.

I am still pointlessly holding out for UCS/Modular house bag end that will never come.

We are also missing Marry, Pippin and Boromir. Overall though I really don't like any of the sets :( Gandalf arriving seems the least disapointing set of them all but will definatly be at least $15, probably $20 in canada so no dice.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
These are pretty loving amazing

From http://mikedoylesnap.blogspot.com/

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Wow, it looks like only one set (helms) actually has anything you can break into actually building. More minifigs, less building seems to be the theme here.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Nerdy Boyhood Dream Acheivement Unlocked!

And then again a week later!

My only regret is there not being a Flying Dutchman.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Paragon8 posted:

wow, an extremely mini fig heavy line without being able to actually assemble the full fellowship. Bit of an oversight there.

According to the guy that I think was the original blog post this is probably not a complete list.

I'll join in the "disappointed" train though. Of those I would probably get the Gandalf cart and Weathertop. I think some aspects of the Weatherop set look kind of interesting. It's kind of ugly (although that might not be finalised art) but it does capture a bit of the overgrown ruin thing.

Oh and same youtube channel has 2012 Summer Star Wars stuff up including 2012 advent calendar already! Guess that's going to be a yearly one now. Which is hardly suprising given how well it sold. Thing was #1 on Amazon's toy charts (in the UK anyway) forever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLBfmjicKhQ

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 19, 2011

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I've been quite impressed by the Toy Story/Cars stuff I've built. I only buy it, for my kid, when I can get it for half price or less which makes it a bit better value. But I've found it quite LEGO-ey with only a couple of custom printed pieces. They do some nice tricks with standard LEGO pieces and theres usually a couple of things that look like "not LEGO" on the box that I'm suprised to find are LEGO when I build them.

They're way too expensive though, but yeah, at 50% off not too bad.

On a vaguely related note I'm really hoping some of the Pharaoh's quest stuff gets heavily discounted in the UK after Christmas. I've seen it cheap in the US and I like the look of a couple of the larger sets (Rise of the Sphinx in particular). That's probably my favourite recent line and I don't see it discussed much when people are complaining about the current sets. At full retail it's still really expensive per brick though, but still:

I think that car sums up why I like it. I mean it's obviously massively derivative of The Mummy (which in turn owes a lot to other films both modern and classic), but it's got a really distinctive style that they followed through with across the whole line.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 19, 2011

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I have a ton of Paradisa in the basement. Is it worth anything besides a fun project over Christmas break?

I'd be willing to buy some of it, if you let me know which sets you have? I had a lot of Paradisa as a kid, and I'm missing a couple of sets here and there, and I'd LOVE to complete my collection. That is, ofc, if you'd be willing to a)sell and b)ship to the UK. Feel free to ignore me or PM me. :)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm assuming there will be at least one more wave of LotR stuff. There's just too much to cover in one, and I doubt they want to over-saturate the market right off the bat. I mean, there's nothing from The Hobbit here, and nothing past Two Towers.

That said, it does seem a tad thin.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

rickiep00h posted:

I'm assuming there will be at least one more wave of LotR stuff. There's just too much to cover in one, and I doubt they want to over-saturate the market right off the bat. I mean, there's nothing from The Hobbit here, and nothing past Two Towers.

That said, it does seem a tad thin.

According to the press release there will be a second Hobbit specific wave towards the end of the year (to conincide with the movie). I guess 2 small, 2 medium, 2 large is fairly standard for a start. I guess how much more we see will depend on how succesful it is.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
None of it grabs my attention. I hope there is some UCS sets or something. I mean that Helm's Deep set is pathetic.

End of the day though you've got to remember this is for the kids first... :(

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Mines of Moria set looks pretty sweet at least. Definitely be picking that up.

And I'll probably get like 12 Urak-Hai armies because uhhhhhhhhhh

Urak Hai Armies.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Holy minifigs Batman! Really wish they fleshed the buildings out more, but it looks like they are concentrating on figures instead. Interested in seeing how expensive these will be.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ingram posted:

None of it grabs my attention. I hope there is some UCS sets or something. I mean that Helm's Deep set is pathetic.

My first impression was that it looked absolutely terrible and I think that might be to do with the colouring more than anything (hopefully that's not finalised). But a second glance at the static box art here (http://www.lordofthebrick.com/2011/12/lego-lotr-premiers-visuels-preliminaires-de-la-gamme-2012/) and I'm a little more optimistic.

At first I thought it was just a flat two dimensional wall and that's something I'm not a big fan of. But given the layout on the box and the fact that the tower looks like it's set quite far back it looks like it could have a fair amount of depth.

So yeah first glance: Ugly and basic. But looking again the main castle bit of it could actually end up being fairly impressive. Either way I doubt it'll be in my price range!

Edit: Also pointed out on another forum it looks like the Urak Army wall section might be compatible with the Helm's Deep set so people who are army building could use it to extend the walls.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

If Merry, Pippin, and Boromir are all missing from this lot, does that imply an Amon Hen set later? :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd like a Prancing Pony set, done in the Winter Toy Shop/Bakery style.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Gravy Jones posted:

My first impression was that it looked absolutely terrible and I think that might be to do with the colouring more than anything (hopefully that's not finalised). But a second glance at the static box art here (http://www.lordofthebrick.com/2011/12/lego-lotr-premiers-visuels-preliminaires-de-la-gamme-2012/) and I'm a little more optimistic.

At first I thought it was just a flat two dimensional wall and that's something I'm not a big fan of. But given the layout on the box and the fact that the tower looks like it's set quite far back it looks like it could have a fair amount of depth.

So yeah first glance: Ugly and basic. But looking again the main castle bit of it could actually end up being fairly impressive. Either way I doubt it'll be in my price range!

It just looks flat with stickers for texture.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is Legolas' hair just the collectible minifig elf hair with ears? That's pretty lame, it didn't look anything like Legolas' hair from the movies. I was really hoping the next Castle wave would be Fantasy II with more variety in elf hairpieces.

This is a major concern in my life is lego elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
These are only preliminary box art. I can't imagine Lego would put out such dull looking sets for a license that excites so many fans.

Besides, the cave troll is just a blank mold in the Mines of Moria image. I'll hold out on being disappointed until I see the final sets.

Travis343 posted:

Is Legolas' hair just the collectible minifig elf hair with ears? That's pretty lame, it didn't look anything like Legolas' hair from the movies. I was really hoping the next Castle wave would be Fantasy II with more variety in elf hairpieces.

This is a major concern in my life is lego elves.

I'm sure it is. Making new molds is expensive. Lego will reuse as much as they can.