Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Yeah everyone keeps saying Super Mario World is easy, but I don't get it. One of the biggest appeals of this show to me is how much I can relate to Arino's experience with these games, asides from his tenacity. I see some people think he's dying on purpose but his efforts look completely genuine to me.

Part of the problem, for me, is that for example, I'm watching him fight Bowser (Koopa). Through painful lurching and contortions, he's made it to the boss' third form. How can he be unable to time the cadence of his bouncing attack? I mean, Arino can write his own name, yes? Wasn't he a musician, a drummer, in a past life? (I remember this being mentioned when he played a drumming game in an arcade somewhere.) He runs right into Bowser, losing his Super status, and then runs right into him again, dying.

I'm yelling at the screen at this point! Look, I'm no super genius video game player and I don't want to sound like (too much of) a dick, but I didn't even know there was a Game Over screen to Super Mario World. I can barely watch this, but I need something to do while the Battletoads raw downloads. I suppose a big part of the appeal, as you say, is watching him struggle with game we ourselves struggled with. Watching him fail constantly with a game we could play with our arms tied behind our backs is pure agony!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Part of the problem, for me, is that for example, I'm watching him fight Bowser (Koopa). Through painful lurching and contortions, he's made it to the boss' third form. How can he be unable to time the cadence of his bouncing attack? I mean, Arino can write his own name, yes? Wasn't he a musician, a drummer, in a past life? (I remember this being mentioned when he played a drumming game in an arcade somewhere.) He runs right into Bowser, losing his Super status, and then runs right into him again, dying.

I'm yelling at the screen at this point! Look, I'm no super genius video game player and I don't want to sound like (too much of) a dick, but I didn't even know there was a Game Over screen to Super Mario World. I can barely watch this, but I need something to do while the Battletoads raw downloads. I suppose a big part of the appeal, as you say, is watching him struggle with game we ourselves struggled with. Watching him fail constantly with a game we could play with our arms tied behind our backs is pure agony!

On the other hand, you try doing the same thing only for hours on end and you also have to be funny.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Part of the problem, for me, is that for example, I'm watching him fight Bowser (Koopa). Through painful lurching and contortions, he's made it to the boss' third form. How can he be unable to time the cadence of his bouncing attack?

Fatigue? That can be a huge factor and hard to gauge when hours of footage is cut down to less than an hour (or less than two hours int his case). Also, when he enters a boss fight like that, he probably ends up cracking under the pressure and screwing up the most basic things. It happens. Again, as someone who's just as bad at games as he is, it's completely understandable to me. I studied music for years and played drums too but when it comes to platformers like the Mario series I mess up my timing quite often. (I'm good at rhythm games, however. I was obsessed with DDR for a while.)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 19, 2011

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
To be fair, some of the levels are a bitch in Mario World; I didn't beat Outrageous until I was like 13.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Dude, if you're yelling at the screen because of Arino playing badly you're gonna lose your voice. :v:

Also you're jumping to some epic conclusions when you say 'we could play with our arms tied behind our backs'. I'm sure there's some people on here that can do that. Maybe a lot of people. But you'll also have some people that can't. Hell, zari-gani even says this. Which you acknowledge since you respond to her.

I'm not sure how you were expecting to come off but you're acting like a bit of a douche.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I have no trouble with a lot of really tough games, but for some reason I die in Mario games really often. They're games where it's very easy to make dumb mistakes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Dectilon posted:

I'd say it's easy in the sense that, excluding the special world, the difficulty doesn't increase very much over the course of the game. Once you have the controls down there are very few problem areas.

There's a thing here that people are missing here, especially Jimmy Colorado there (sorry dude, you sound like a massive dick of Brobdingnagian proportions)---a lot of people don't have the particular knack it takes to play certain sorts of video games, or they don't have the experience of having played these games to death as kids. Mario games have never been easy, they've just never been unfair, which is what really sets them apart from other platformers. People are basically coming at this from the perspective of forgetting exactly how many times they had to restart stages and die in the same hole over and over again as a six-year-old. They've learned the language of the platformer, and unconsciously understand how to translate "run, make this long jump, then land on the tiny platform" into a fairly precise series of d-pad moves and button presses.

I hate to bust out the E-word here, but this is the sort of entitlement complex that 'hardcore' gamers use to disparage 'casual' gamers for enjoying things with a lower rate of difficulty---and having to struggle through them to do so. I'm currently helping train someone in basic game skills who never had any game consoles aside from a 2600 and a Game Gear (with, like, Columns) in their youth and is so intimidated by the culture of people who don't get that these things aren't automatically easy for people who haven't been playing games for years on end.

(this is rambly as gently caress, I'm super-tired, I'm probably EFB to gently caress and back by now, but I don't give a poo poo)

EDIT: I'm a drummer. I've never beaten Super Mario World. Shut up.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I can't remember if it was this thread or the previous thread that this was brought up in, but a lot of the enjoyment that can be derived from GCCX comes from Arino as a person as opposed to the games he plays. I think he was compared to a little brother who's bad at games but is just so excited when he finally makes progress. When he does poorly or makes a stupid mistake, you feel disappointed, when he succeeds, you just can't help but smile. It's not a straight feeling all the way through, each episode has their ups and downs that make the overall experience that much more enjoyable.

And I'm with Boogie on this one. If you're yelling at Arino for being bad at video games, your vocal chords are in serious poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

And I'm with Boogie on this one. If you're yelling at Arino for being bad at video games, your vocal chords are in serious poo poo.

Which is why the Game Center CX Drinking Game is:

- Take a drink when Arino is overconfident.
- Take another when that overconfidence is immediately shattered.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Random Stranger posted:

Which is why the Game Center CX Drinking Game is:

- Take a drink when Arino is overconfident.
- Take another when that overconfidence is immediately shattered.

- Take yet another if he takes his hands off the controller in victory and it ends up backfiring.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Shlapintogan posted:

- Take yet another if he takes his hands off the controller in victory and it ends up backfiring.

- Take yet another if he is surprised by a boss's multiple forms.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Vlaphor posted:

- Take yet another if he is surprised by a boss's multiple forms.

- Up-end the bottle if the new form kills him.

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
I think super mario bros. 3 is as easy as mario world, and not only Arino, but Sasano and Toujima could not beat it. But again, I´m playing smb3 since I was 5 years old.

When I and my girlfriend where playing new super mario bros. wii, she was like "How do you know how to make that jump? You have played this game before?" and my response was "I dont know, mario jumps like that.." I have played mario games for so long that jumps and timing in general are natural and easy for me, but for my girlfriend who kick my rear end in puzzle games found very difficult.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Joctan posted:

I think super mario bros. 3 is as easy as mario world, and not only Arino, but Sasano and Toujima could not beat it. But again, I´m playing smb3 since I was 5 years old.

When I and my girlfriend where playing new super mario bros. wii, she was like "How do you know how to make that jump? You have played this game before?" and my response was "I dont know, mario jumps like that.." I have played mario games for so long that jumps and timing in general are natural and easy for me, but for my girlfriend who kick my rear end in puzzle games found very difficult.

Tell us more about your skill at platformers. :allears:

Also I was really surprised at how high-quality Quest of Ki looked, and the amount of poo poo that Arino went through that looked way harder than bumpheadhitspikes.gif

redmercer fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 19, 2011

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Quest of Ki looks fun. I love hard platformers that let you try as much as you want.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So yea, when the wind starts kicking in at 66 it gets a little crazy. The physics immediately change when your feet hit the ground so the pedestal jumping in 65 basically makes you stop touching the D-Pad when you hit the pedestal and only use it in the air. Took 3 continues to clear that stage.

:e good lord gently caress 71. Hitbox seems to warp at will. Still only taken about an hour to get to 76, though.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 19, 2011

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I've played a handful of the games on the show both before and after watching it, but Kirby's Adventure and Mega Man 2 are the only ones I've ever managed to complete. :shobon:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

So yea, when the wind starts kicking in at 66 it gets a little crazy. The physics immediately change when your feet hit the ground so the pedestal jumping in 65 basically makes you stop touching the D-Pad when you hit the pedestal and only use it in the air. Took 3 continues to clear that stage.

:e good lord gently caress 71. Hitbox seems to warp at will. Still only taken about an hour to get to 76, though.

I got to 59 in about 15-20 minutes but got stuck there for another 10 or so minutes and that's as much of that game I can take. I can see why Arino had problems with it. Someone with little game experience who just isn't very good at games in general would take forever to get through each level once the warps stop. The controls are really awkward and just bad. Yeah it makes the game far more difficult, but it's because you never feel like you're in control. It feels like a bad, contrived difficulty.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

elf help book posted:

Quest of Ki looks fun. I love hard platformers that let you try as much as you want.

Quest of Ki really seems to presage the Super Meat Boy school of modern indie platformer design where you have short levels that are hard as hell, an extremely mobile jumper with no offensive ability to speak of, and next to no penalty for failure. I find it interesting in that regard.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I got to 59 in about 15-20 minutes but got stuck there for another 10 or so minutes and that's as much of that game I can take. I can see why Arino had problems with it. Someone with little game experience who just isn't very good at games in general would take forever to get through each level once the warps stop. The controls are really awkward and just bad. Yeah it makes the game far more difficult, but it's because you never feel like you're in control. It feels like a bad, contrived difficulty.

It took me a solid 20 minutes on 79(the one Arino couldn't beat and needed the extension for). The missile/Blinky dodging was just repetition but those descending stairs with the 2-3 pixel ledges and the wind going is just unfair. The first time I landed the bottom one I made the jump to the door and did a little "YATTA".

The game plays so quickly that doing a level for 20 minutes feels like an eternity so Arino's problems with 79 and 98 must have been utter hell for him.

Up to 84 now in 2.5 hours. Starting to become a grind.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Benly posted:

Quest of Ki really seems to presage the Super Meat Boy school of modern indie platformer design where you have short levels that are hard as hell, an extremely mobile jumper with no offensive ability to speak of, and next to no penalty for failure. I find it interesting in that regard.

"Extremely mobile" is not how I'd put it. You can jump forever, but that's it. You move slowly, it takes a long time to build momentum and once you have it it's hard as hell to reverse. It's like you're controlling a fat cow on rollerskates on an ice rink.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

"Extremely mobile" is not how I'd put it. You can jump forever, but that's it. You move slowly, it takes a long time to build momentum and once you have it it's hard as hell to reverse. It's like you're controlling a fat cow on rollerskates on an ice rink.

Please tell me you're using B+opposite direction to brake. It's pretty easy to come to a stop using that combo.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

The amount of games I've seen that make you defeat all the friggen bosses again before fighting the final boss can all choke on dicks. Wow, so many do this.

However Arino doesn't seem to complain of them yet. What a chill dude :3:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I watched Castlevania 3 and experienced PTSD

I remember that horrible loving block section, pretty sure that's where I got stuck. He was stuck for eight loving hours. Then the three form last boss. What a bunch of dicks.

I love that people look back on the original CVs with nostalgia, but I have to wonder how many people just enjoyed the catchy music in the first three stages :v:

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

I've just got into this over the last couple of days. It's really lovely how it's not mean-spirited like most Japanese gameshows, and how Arino is simply a lovely man. I've only seen the Adventure Island and Street Fighter 2 episodes so far though, so I'll just randomly go for others as I see fit.

I have to take issue with the "it's like Top Gear for video games" tagline you guys use though. It's nothing like Top Gear, and it was one of the things that actually stopped me from clicking on the banner for weeks until a friend watched it and told me more about it.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Dache posted:

I've just got into this over the last couple of days. It's really lovely how it's not mean-spirited like most Japanese gameshows, and how Arino is simply a lovely man. I've only seen the Adventure Island and Street Fighter 2 episodes so far though, so I'll just randomly go for others as I see fit.

I have to take issue with the "it's like Top Gear for video games" tagline you guys use though. It's nothing like Top Gear, and it was one of the things that actually stopped me from clicking on the banner for weeks until a friend watched it and told me more about it.

He can't be that lonely with 2 kids!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dache posted:

Since I used it as a title I obviously disagree. They're both shows that are about having lighthearted fun with their topic. There's a lot of goofing around and even if you don't care about the nominal topic of the show it's still interesting. The shows have a playful tone that they have in common.

And it doesn't hurt that one is the most watched television show in the world and the other is a show that we're trying to get a bit more attention for. :v:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Shlapintogan posted:

- Up-end the bottle if the new form kills him.

-Should Arino forget to continue and have to start the game over due to his carelessness, finish 3/4 of your drink, then refill it.

Also I've not seen Top Gear but whether or not the analogy is spot on I like the idea of getting exposure for it by comparing it to a popular show.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

13/f/cali posted:

Also I've not seen Top Gear but whether or not the analogy is spot on I like the idea of getting exposure for it by comparing it to a popular show.

It's not too much like Top Gear, but there's no other show I could think of that's closer to what GCCX is.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Since I used it as a title I obviously disagree. They're both shows that are about having lighthearted fun with their topic. There's a lot of goofing around and even if you don't care about the nominal topic of the show it's still interesting. The shows have a playful tone that they have in common.

Naw, sorry but I agree that it's really nothing like Top Gear. If I'd seen the banner ad first I wouldn't have checked the last thread either. I figured it was like some kinda Consolevania thing, where they showcase games and give presentations on them and mess about. Instead it's a dude playing old games and sucking, and giggling about it while the whole crew joins in. And tons of nostalgia for being a little kid right down to an arts and crafts section.

Also while I like to watch TG now and then, Clarkson is a smug right-wing jackass. Arino is the most inoffensive dude to ever host a show (unless you're fat).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Top Gear is much more bombastic and overproduced, but structurally there's a definite resemblance. They're both shows that celebrate the lifestyle surrounding their specific industry - based around ridiculous challenges and the minute curiosities of the products that make up the world of cars/games.

The comparison is apt, but I can also see someone being disappointed by GCCX if they went in expecting the same level of sheer insanity that Top Gear puts on display. To be comparable on that level, you'd probably have to have Arino driving around Tokyo in a custom built F-Zero car, getting shot at by red arremer helicopters .

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

To be comparable on that level, you'd probably have to have Arino driving around Tokyo in a custom built F-Zero car, getting shot at by red arremer helicopters .

Someone send them a postcard! They have to do this for the next live special!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

13/f/cali posted:

-Should Arino forget to continue and have to start the game over due to his carelessness, finish 3/4 of your drink, then refill it.

- Take a drink when the phrase "Game Over Hell" is used.

Man, the GCCX drinking game is beginning to sound dangerous. :ohdear:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Corridor posted:

Also while I like to watch TG now and then, Clarkson is a smug right-wing jackass. Arino is the most inoffensive dude to ever host a show (unless you're fat).

If anything I'd compare Arino to May.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Emalde posted:

- Take a drink when the phrase "Game Over Hell" is used.

Man, the GCCX drinking game is beginning to sound dangerous. :ohdear:

- Take a drink when Arino is proud that he beat a little kid in a game.

- Take a drink anytime Arino acts like a lecherous old man towards video-game characters.

- Pour your drink all over yourself when Arino forgets how to play the game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Corridor posted:

Naw, sorry but I agree that it's really nothing like Top Gear. If I'd seen the banner ad first I wouldn't have checked the last thread either. I figured it was like some kinda Consolevania thing, where they showcase games and give presentations on them and mess about. Instead it's a dude playing old games and sucking, and giggling about it while the whole crew joins in. And tons of nostalgia for being a little kid right down to an arts and crafts section.

But they do showcase games. They give small breaks between the challenge telling about games on the same system. They also show off a lot of arcade games. And there's a lot more segments for showing off games like the Game and Watch segment, or Aces of Hardware. That is literally them showcasing games and presentations on them and messing about with them. It's just not the main purpose of the show, but it's there.

If anything, GCCX is just Top Gear with lovable, endearing characters.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Speaking of forgetting to continue, I've been playing through GCCX Arino no Chousenjou 2 and I forgot to use the continue code over halfway through Demon Returns. I also replayed through RGC and the game is even better because of all the little GCCX references I can now appreciate.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

If anything, GCCX is just Top Gear with lovable, endearing characters.

I think both arguments are sound, certainly the cultural celebration of games/cars comparison. I'll definitely admit I clicked on the banner because I enjoy Top Gear, and at first I didn't see the connection: my hang up was that Clarkson, May and Hammond are complete, stone-cold gear heads (petrol heads?). They are automotive experts. Arino doesn't display that obsessive quality when it comes to games; if he never played another game on camera again, I don't think he'd be too miffed. I don't think he'd be too miffed at anything, really, because he's Arino.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I think GCCX is like Top Gear in the sense that GCCX is a 'videogame show' in the same way Top Gear is a 'car show'

The cars/videogames are just a pretense, the shows are really about antics and jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Don't forget that Top Gear has an insane budget too. If I had to guess the USA episode has been GCCX's most expensive to date and it pales in comparison to many of the things TG has done.

Also, whenever AD Nakayama appears, chug your drink for the duration of the bowing, including pausing on half-bows.