Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I like the part where you can hear the driveshaft isn't balanced well enough to be going that fast and he keeps his foot buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
What kind of rpm would that driveshaft have been spinning at when it let go ?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Motronic posted:

I like the part where you can hear the driveshaft isn't balanced well enough to be going that fast and he keeps his foot buried.

I got that too. "vrrrrrrrrrrrgrumbleGRUMBLEGRUMBLEBLAMMO!"

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Youtube Moron posted:

I had an opportunity to drive my Mustang on a closed road at high speeds and this is what happened.

...right...

Youtube Moron posted:

After all, many of these cars are driven regularly on the German Autobahn and a failure like this could be very dangerous!

Yes, we Europeans lust after the V6 Mustang (screw the GT) for our high-speed autobahn driving. In fact, it's selling by the thousands 'round these parts. It's the great fuel economy, low price and substantial dealer network that seals the deal.

Jesus cartwheeling christ what a dumbass. Hope the dealership denies each and every one of his warranty claims.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

DefaultPeanut posted:

What kind of rpm would that driveshaft have been spinning at when it let go ?

About 4500rpm.

Assuming 225/60-14 stock tire size, 2.73:1 final drive ratio, and 135mph.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On one hand, there is zero excuse for Ford to let that car out the door with a driveshaft that's imbalanced at all. It may be "just a V6" but it is a 300hp car, and five years ago if someone had done that in a GT nobody would bat an eye / everyone would be screaming about Ford's poo poo quality.

On the other hand, there's equally zero excuse for why he kept his foot in it with an awful racket like that. Presumably he had to feel it too.

Way back in the early days of the fourth-gen F-body, a number of six-speed cars got out with imbalanced driveshafts, but you had to get it up over 100 to notice. GM still put out a TSB for it and gave anyone who complained the aluminum 1LE driveshaft.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Motronic posted:

That is exactly what I was going to say. Around 115 it already sounds like something is out of balance. In the comments he says they should have a better drive shaft, but I have a suspicion that if his drive shaft fails at 25 mph over the stock limit something else is not too far behind, or at the very least Ford felt it would be hard to control at those speeds.

My father always told me that car manufacturers pay a lot of money to people to design cars, and they are smarter than your dumbass friends or the guy at the parts store.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's nothing wrong with the design of the car as a whole, the same car with a V8 will do those speeds without batting an eye, and I doubt the V8 has a significantly different design on its driveshaft - just bigger / better-balanced parts, my guess.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
At my old job we made a bunch of half shafts for old Fords, and the quality of the original parts was always appalling. Granted they were like 40/50 year old forged shafts but still, it blew my mind that the thing would actually spin to any speed and not shake themselves to pieces.

The worst were Anglia shafts, and while I know nobody on earth is going to approach any sort of speed in a stock Anglia I would still be nervous if I were ever in the back of one.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I'm not saying there is something wrong with car as much as there is probably a reason for the limiter, even if it is just to sell v8's.

I also totally agree that Ford should not treat the v6 as "just a V6" and treat it as a 300hp motor. That applies to many recent cars, we are making more power per cubic inch than we ever have before, so puny 4 bangers are now regularly putting out over 200hp, and v6's can put out over 300. Hell, the F20C Honda put in the S2000 has more horsepower than the 350sbc Chevrolet put in Camaros in the 80's.

(I would like to note that I am fully aware the s2k has no low end to speak of)

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

bolind posted:

...right...

Yes, we Europeans lust after the V6 Mustang (screw the GT) for our high-speed autobahn driving. In fact, it's selling by the thousands 'round these parts. It's the great fuel economy, low price and substantial dealer network that seals the deal.

Jesus cartwheeling christ what a dumbass. Hope the dealership denies each and every one of his warranty claims.

Assuming this guy was smart enough to have kept the video off of the internet, what were the chances of Ford honoring a warranty claim on the failed driveshaft? Would they be able to tell the speed the car was going when it let go?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As far as I know, most modern vehicles save the last few minutes of OBDII sensor (which includes speed) data if they experience an airbag-triggering event. I may be wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

As far as I know, most modern vehicles save the last few minutes of OBDII sensor (which includes speed) data if they experience an airbag-triggering event. I may be wrong.

I think you're in the wrong thread.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cowwan posted:

I'm not saying there is something wrong with car as much as there is probably a reason for the limiter, even if it is just to sell v8's.

Usually it's just there for the tires. To go back to the fourthgen example, if you didn't tick the "Z-rated tire" option on an LT1 Z28, you got a speed limiter. If you did, the limiter disappeared.

Also, apparently the GT does have a significantly different driveshaft design - apparently it gets a two-piece. That seems...dumb. This isn't the '80s where the base Mustang is a Pinto-engined slug, or the '90s-'00s where the V6 is only the providence of high school girls.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
One reason you can't make part of a unibody out of stainless is that welding stainless to mild steel = galvanic corrosion out the rear end, iirc. If the welds even hold well, which they might not. Also it's not as strong like someone else already mentioned.

Rusted weldnuts inside the frame are the bane of my existence.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

quote:

Two men were killed early this morning after their car hit a palm tree at high speed on Riverside Drive in Perth.

A police spokesman said the male passenger died after he was thrown from the car, while the driver was incinerated. The impact of the crash split the Commodore in half and it immediately burst into flames.

The fire was quickly extinguished but its speed and intensity left the car in an almost unrecognisable twisted state. Pieces of the wreck were found 75 metres from the palm tree on the road's median strip.

Holy poo poo, especially the second picture.

I'd say "high speed" is probably the understatement of the year. That is mythbusters rocket sled level of car splitting.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
That second picture looks like a bad photoshop

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

JBark posted:

I'd say "high speed" is probably the understatement of the year. That is mythbusters rocket sled level of car splitting.

Jesus gently caress. This is why I carry an extinguisher. Probably wouldn't put poo poo out, but it MIGHT just keep someone alive long enough to be removed from the crematorium...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

JBark posted:

Haha what my eyes are hurting from trying to figure this one out.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Chinatown posted:

Haha what my eyes are hurting from trying to figure this one out.

"unibody"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's a fileted Commodore. :stare:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
More proof that trees are a lot sturdier than they look.

Reminds me somewhat of the split in half RS6 Avant that I'm sure has already been posted

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Here's another angle that just showed up on a news article:

Absolutely nuts, and I just can't go over how undamaged the side of the car actually is. Hardly even a dent or crease.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

JBark posted:

Here's another angle that just showed up on a news article:

Absolutely nuts, and I just can't go over how undamaged the side of the car actually is. Hardly even a dent or crease.

It looks like something out of a cartoon, or a Naked Gun style comedy movie. :psyduck: How does the entire side of the car shear off undamaged like that? The wheel is still even in the proper place. How is that even possible, considering all of the support structure holding it there was obliterated? It's either a hell of a coincidence, or someone placed it there after the fact.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
The wheel is probably still attached to the front corner of the car by the strut tower.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Cowwan posted:

That is exactly what I was going to say. Around 115 it already sounds like something is out of balance. In the comments he says they should have a better drive shaft, but I have a suspicion that if his drive shaft fails at 25 mph over the stock limit something else is not too far behind, or at the very least Ford felt it would be hard to control at those speeds.

My father always told me that car manufacturers pay a lot of money to people to design cars, and they are smarter than your dumbass friends or the guy at the parts store.

It's not that the engineer who designed that wasn't smart, it was the production quality control manager who compromised on quality to save money.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Yeah, if you look closely you can see the strut tower poking out. Must've been really hauling rear end.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Clearly we need to start making cars out of palm trees, it's barely got a scratch.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

law abiding rapist posted:

Clearly we need to start making cars out of palm trees, it's barely got a scratch.

carbon-based fiber :smugdog:

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

JBark posted:

I don't know what year Commodore that is, but they don't appear to be the most hardy cars in existence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJl2aZMN4MU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Petekill posted:

I don't know what year Commodore that is, but they don't appear to be the most hardy cars in existence:

For once, youtube comments are great.

quote:

This Video has been around for a while now and as has been pointed out many times the car has no drive train and has sand in the boot to make for an explosive impact.
Still pretty awesome thing to see though.

Wit_sponge
Dec 29, 2008

FUUUCK

Petekill posted:

hmm yes this late 70s car sure is bad!

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Petekill posted:

Man, gently caress Holden, go Ford!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOxWPGsJNY

Whee!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I got to go to the 25 hours of thunderhill this year and crew for Boothman Racing. I knew some of the drivers from the FFR series in the great lakes region but had never seen this particular car before.

We'll be racing this

We qualified 9th I think, and the start of the race went well. About 4 hours in the car won't go into gear. Pulling the trans shows us this.

Pop in a new clutch, send it back out, it seems like smooth sailing from here on. We've had our big failure for the race right? Dropped back to somewhere around 60th overall, and climb back to the top 30 through the night. Around 6am the driver gets on the radio and says "the cars on fire, I'm getting out". This was maybe 5 minutes after a stop, new driver and full fuel.

The race is red flagged and a couple minutes later a worker tells us the driver is ok. 25 minutes or so later, this is dragged in.

(pics from daytime because all the night ones I took sucked)

Another worker took a picture during the fire. They say they tried to put it out, had no effect, and waited for it to burn down first.

19 hours down, 6 to go. Inspecting what was left afterwards we found the front mounting points of the fuel cells straps had failed where they were welded in to the rest of the chassis. They had bumped the tank from 22 gallons to 32 if I remember correctly and didn't reinforce the mounting points. I believe this was it's 5th 25hr.

In car video from the start of that race. That channel has lots of good in car FFR action with no music too.
http://vimeo.com/33401052

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Petekill posted:

It's the current model, the VE. Can tell by the flared front arch, the vent behind the front wheel, and the edge of the rear door shape.
edit: So its the same body as the US has for the pontiac G8 and whatever.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 20, 2011

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well it sure doesn't even come close to burning race cars but I saw this at work yesterday.

Bolts are still left in the bit attached to the block.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

honda whisperer posted:

I got to go to the 25 hours of thunderhill this year and crew for Boothman Racing. I knew some of the drivers from the FFR series in the great lakes region but had never seen this particular car before.

I was the head mechanic for 949Racing/Supermiata (E2 winner/8th overall and E2 3rd place). We've got in-car of the fire starting as the driver went into 2 - it's a serious :aaaaa: moment.

Our only big failure of the race in the lead car was losing the LF wheel (improperly installed OEM studs). Took us about 5 minutes to get the hub and rotor replaced and get the car back on course.

Cars before the race:

First 25 hour for about 90% of the team - not a bad result for our first one. :D

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Have you checked your ball joints lately?

You probably should.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Root Bear posted:

Have you checked your ball joints lately?

You probably should.

mother of god.
I'm walking out to the parking lot right now to check on my brand new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The upper ball joints on my mom's Ranger were worse. The right side had a rusted tear in the top metal cap, there was no grease inside, there was a solid 1/2 cm play in all directions.

I replaced brake discs, bearings, pads, UCAs, lower ball joints, put it back together, one day later it blew the hardline that fed the back brakes. Fixed that, then the filler neck rusted through. Replaced that, still leaks a bit, need to drop the tank to replace the hose. The tank is plastic, so it CAN'T rust. Noticed while I was under the truck for the filler neck that the bedliner is now the main structural component of the bed. gently caress that truck.