Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Quest of Ki down in a little under 6 hours. The 80s and 90s are really weird in that you'll breeze through a couple levels and then get stonewalled out of nowhere for 20-30 minutes. Then clear another 3 levels in under 10 minutes and hit another wall. Not impossible but can get immensely frustrating and it's easy to see why Arino acted like he did during parts of that video. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for an old-school challenge.

Also it's apparent my console gaming "muscles" vanished with my childhood and the advent of PC gaming because my thumb was killing me last night and it still hurts a little. Arino's thumbs must be in sad shape after some of these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haunta
Apr 9, 2011
I've been following this thread and the old one for a long time now and I just wanted to say thanks to the all the people who work on the translation and timing of the episodes past and present.

You guys are absolutely fantastic for taking up so much of your own time so the rest of us can enjoy Arino's retro escapades too, and the quality of each episode is always very impressive. It's given me many hours of enjoyment. :)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

I think GCCX is like Top Gear in the sense that GCCX is a 'videogame show' in the same way Top Gear is a 'car show'

The cars/videogames are just a pretense, the shows are really about antics and jokes.

GCCX is just a professional Let's Play (that I love).

Risky
May 18, 2003

Anyone know the specs of that Toshiba monitor Arino uses for his challenges? It looks like it would have the perfect amount of video outs like a crt but with more portability.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

Quest of Ki down in a little under 6 hours. The 80s and 90s are really weird in that you'll breeze through a couple levels and then get stonewalled out of nowhere for 20-30 minutes. Then clear another 3 levels in under 10 minutes and hit another wall. Not impossible but can get immensely frustrating and it's easy to see why Arino acted like he did during parts of that video. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for an old-school challenge.

Also it's apparent my console gaming "muscles" vanished with my childhood and the advent of PC gaming because my thumb was killing me last night and it still hurts a little. Arino's thumbs must be in sad shape after some of these games.

Wow, congrats dude. I could only imagine playing Quest of Ki if the President had been kidnapped by ninjas and that was in their list of demands (it could happen, people). Now why don't you take that diaper off and try a REAL CHALLENGE: Super Mario World.

Because, you know, according to the consensus in the thread, it's like hard. Or something. :rolleyes:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Some of us had a Genesis instead of an SNES when we were kids. :argh:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Super Mario World.

Because, you know, according to the consensus in the thread, it's like hard. Or something. :rolleyes:

Seriously? You can't accept that different people find different games to be difficult?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bocc Kob posted:

Some of us had an Atari 5200 and a NES up until the 64-bit era.

dans
Nov 30, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Wow, congrats dude. I could only imagine playing Quest of Ki if the President had been kidnapped by ninjas and that was in their list of demands (it could happen, people). Now why don't you take that diaper off and try a REAL CHALLENGE: Super Mario World.

Try Falcon 3.0 if you're up for a challenge. Oh, wait, you're talking about kids' games...

Seriously, thanks for all the work that goes into each of these episodes, this show is a blast.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Here's a challenge for you: stop posting

Again, much love to the team.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Bocc Kob posted:

Some of us were smart enough to figure out a "I stick with Nintendo, you stick with SEGA" deal with their cousins so they got the best of both worlds. :colbert:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
My cousins were all spoiled and got every system, but I only got to see them a few times a year. :negative:

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
At last!

When I was a kid everytime I saw someone with a SEGA was because their parents got the wrong system

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Joctan posted:

At last!

When I was a kid everytime I saw someone with a SEGA was because their parents got the wrong system

I had a SEGA Saturn and that's how we all felt :(

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Toejam & Earl + Streets of Rage 2 made the whole thing worth it!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Fishbus posted:

The amount of games I've seen that make you defeat all the friggen bosses again before fighting the final boss can all choke on dicks. Wow, so many do this.

However Arino doesn't seem to complain of them yet. What a chill dude :3:

Have you watched the Megaman episodes. He always forgets about the boss gauntlent in the Wily stages and dreads going through them all the time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Joctan posted:

Did the SNES have Sega Channel? No, it didn't. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

SNOT CORN posted:

I had a SEGA Saturn and that's how we all felt :(

Hey, I had a Saturn and it was awesome!

I also got it a few years after it 'died'

For $40. Including a game, second controller, and memory card

So how about that Game Center CX?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kanos posted:

Hell yes sega channel. :hfive: poo poo was like ten years ahead of its time

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

what about satellaview?

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Bocc Kob posted:

Toejam & Earl + Streets of Rage 2 made the whole thing worth it!

I like how Kibe is a huge Sega fanboy. Makes him even more :3: imo. Also, when they did that "Aces of Hardware" bit, all those retro consoles have to be his (Kibe's), right? Seems like it would make sense.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Please tell me you're using B+opposite direction to brake. It's pretty easy to come to a stop using that combo.

I am. It still takes WAY too long to stop when doing that.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

I can't remember if it was this thread or the previous thread that this was brought up in, but a lot of the enjoyment that can be derived from GCCX comes from Arino as a person as opposed to the games he plays. I think he was compared to a little brother who's bad at games but is just so excited when he finally makes progress. When he does poorly or makes a stupid mistake, you feel disappointed, when he succeeds, you just can't help but smile. It's not a straight feeling all the way through, each episode has their ups and downs that make the overall experience that much more enjoyable.

And I'm with Boogie on this one. If you're yelling at Arino for being bad at video games, your vocal chords are in serious poo poo.

I usually freak out instinctively whenever Arino makes a blunder and it isn't me getting upset with him over the mistake, but it's the same way I'd react if I was making those blunders. A lot of stuff he does, I'd probably be doing too. His goof on the Bonk's Adventure bonus stage made me laugh and cringe because I'm pretty awful at bonus stages of games for some reason. Strange sense of pressure.

And to add to the Mario discussion, well, I've been playing games for a long time and most of the time now I am used to certain mechanics depending on the genre so I feel like I can get through them pretty easily, but man do I suck rear end at SMB3, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and, as I most recently found out, Super Mario Land (the 3DS buttons kinda suck for GB games, IMO). It's not some strange phenomenon some people can't get through them. It just happens. :(

Thanks for the wallpapers! Took one for my laptop.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I was just looking for a good GCCX picture to use as a phone wallpaper when I came across a thing someone made for it. I think? :aaa:

http://mariahiggy.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/44/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I watched both Quest of Ki vids yesterday, and I found it exhausting. I can only imagine how it must have been to play it, much less translate it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
After humming it for like a week straight I noticed a certain something wasn't on Youtube. So I fixed(?) it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jcCn8sPlE

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

absolutely anything posted:

After humming it for like a week straight I noticed a certain something wasn't on Youtube. So I fixed(?) it.

And I had just got it out of my head too... :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ledneh posted:

Hell yes sega channel. :hfive: poo poo was like ten years ahead of its time

I think you mean ten years behind the times.

drat you! :argh:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Shlapintogan posted:

And I had just got it out of my head too... :negative:

Random Stranger posted:

drat you! :argh:

It helps if you imagine the death tune occuring every few seconds. It helps break the monotony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jcCn8sPlE

Do you have the mp3 lying around somewhere? If so, could you share it? I'd like to edit it to 40 second clip for ringtone use to annoy surrounding people. :downs:

Dracozon
Nov 4, 2010

Living in a box,Living in a cardboard box.

jyrque posted:

Do you have the mp3 lying around somewhere? If so, could you share it? I'd like to edit it to 40 second clip for ringtone use to annoy surrounding people. :downs:

MP3ified! - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?37ye73i7a2500dw :devil:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Thanks!

I edited it into a 35 second loop and even got rid of the nasty pop at the beginning. If anyone is interested, you can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?c4a438vxhbfbvka

Only in .mp3 format, sorry. Audacity can't export into .m4r files. Works fine on my Galaxy S 2.

Edit: Speaking of ringtones, Nakayama's bowing (pon~koron) sound was available in the last thread since it makes such an awesome notification or SMS sound. I reuploaded them since it seems at least the old mp3 link was down.

MP3 version: http://www.mediafire.com/?xm17jh197gh1cjo
M4R version: http://www.mediafire.com/?91bo5hh77h7km1c

jyrque fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 20, 2011

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Tangentially related, CoCoIchi, the curry house of awesome in Japan, is running a holiday giveaway contest. The lowest tier prize is your choice of either a free drink ... or one of those water pigs from the Korea episode.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Risky posted:

Anyone know the specs of that Toshiba monitor Arino uses for his challenges?

I'm curious about his monitor too. I think the thing might have display lag.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Fishbus posted:

The amount of games I've seen that make you defeat all the friggen bosses again before fighting the final boss can all choke on dicks. Wow, so many do this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

jyrque posted:

Edit: Speaking of ringtones, Nakayama's bowing (pon~koron) sound was available in the last thread since it makes such an awesome notification or SMS sound. I reuploaded them since it seems at least the old mp3 link was down.

MP3 version: http://www.mediafire.com/?xm17jh197gh1cjo
M4R version: http://www.mediafire.com/?91bo5hh77h7km1c

I don't know why, my stupid phone cuts the sound off halfway. :argh:

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't know why, my stupid phone cuts the sound off halfway. :argh:
Your phone is half bowing

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

I was just looking for a good GCCX picture to use as a phone wallpaper when I came across a thing someone made for it. I think? :aaa:

http://mariahiggy.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/44/

Is this an Android Live wallpaper and what do I have to search on the Marketplace to find it!?

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm just gonna leave this here :smug:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is this an Android Live wallpaper and what do I have to search on the Marketplace to find it!?

I'm not sure if it was made for smartphones or regular cellphones, but just downloading them and sticking them in didn't work. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

abraxas posted:

I'm just gonna leave this here :smug:

Did you order from Dino Direct? I ordered 2 like a month ago now and the things still haven't shipped. Also did you have to re-wire yours for US voltage and how hard was it to do?