Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrubadubdub
Dec 26, 2008

aliencowboy posted:

New Municipal Waste album announced for early 2012. I wasn't a big fan of their last album, but I am interested that the bass/synth guy from Zombi is going to be on some tracks.

Inside source says it's one hell of a lot better than Massive Aggressive, heaps of D-beat and energy. Stoked!

New Nails and Black Breath are looking to be much more metal numbers, keep an ear out for these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

When I think of keys in metal the first band that comes to mind is Nocturnus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNy6MuqrMQ

HlTLER
Dec 18, 2011

by T. Fine
Super Mario Castle Theme Death Metal

It's extremely well done, the song is actually extremely fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ew0VtHmik

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Houseplant posted:

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but for those of you who live in the States and missed Arkona the first time around, they are coming back with Paganfest 2012:

Turisas, Alestorm, Ex Deo, Arkona, Huntress

Thu 3/29 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
Fri 3/30 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
Sat 3/31 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre
Sun 4/01 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
Mon 4/02 - Toronto, ON @ The Opera House
Tue 4/03 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Wed 4/04 - Detroit, MI @ Blondie's
Thu 4/05 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
Fri 4/06 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
Sat 4/07 - Louisville, KY @ Vernon Club
Sun 4/08 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
Fri 4/13 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
Sun 4/15 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
Mon 4/16 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
Tue 4/17 - San Francisco, CA DNA Lounge
Wed 4/18 - West Hollywood, CA @ Key Club

Wish tremont wasn't such a dump, but I'll be tempted for this.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

the yeti posted:

Wish tremont wasn't such a dump, but I'll be tempted for this.

I just saw Arkona at Jaxx in Alexandria VA (a dump, what a dump) and they were amazing. If you're on the fence at all, go.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Revol posted:

I want recommendations for metal bands that use keyboards.

If you like black metal, Windir and Emperor used keyboards well without overloading on them.

Sgt. Slobber
May 15, 2011
General question to all of you:

What does metal mean to you? Like, what feelings or attitudes does it stir up? What other things do you associate with metal? What draws you to metal? What band or album or song really epitomizes the spirit of metal in your opinion?

Like for me, I think Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power perfectly sums up my feelings about metal. It's pounding and pissed off, but it's like a battle cry.
It's about turning aggression into inner strength and confidence in your convictions, especially in the face of opposition. And of course, the album rocks the gently caress out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Sgt. Slobber posted:

What does metal mean to you? Like, what feelings or attitudes does it stir up? What other things do you associate with metal? What draws you to metal?

...Satan.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'd like to second "Satan". Bongripper's "Satan" is 10+ minutes of seamlessly blending black/death/doom, it has a great atmosphere from leaving some roughness (higher frequencies of guitars/drums) in a clean, but not polished mix. It's four dudes without a record label, recording the most extreme music they can, handling their own production, and just kicking rear end in general.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Zodijackylite posted:

I'd like to second "Satan". Bongripper's "Satan" is 10+ minutes of seamlessly blending black/death/doom, it has a great atmosphere from leaving some roughness (higher frequencies of guitars/drums) in a clean, but not polished mix. It's four dudes without a record label, recording the most extreme music they can, handling their own production, and just kicking rear end in general.

I don't think you get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puwllq0fBLs

Gaahl will explain it for you.

edit: I do agree with you though. I love Bongripper and I wish they had more than 1 song with screaming, but it's ok. They're still awesome.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 19, 2011

Austin Powers
Aug 13, 2011
Anyone listened to Dirge - Elysian Magnetic Fields? One of my favorite metal albums of the year. Sludge metal is the best.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't think you get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puwllq0fBLs

Gaahl will explain it for you.

edit: I do agree with you though. I love Bongripper and I wish they had more than 1 song with screaming, but it's ok. They're still awesome.

I get it, I just didn't want to post "awesome avatar/title/post combo" since that's dumb :( A well-worded post provides more content and comedy than alluding to the obvious.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

Sgt. Slobber posted:

What does metal mean to you? Like, what feelings or attitudes does it stir up? What other things do you associate with metal? What draws you to metal? What band or album or song really epitomizes the spirit of metal in your opinion?

Like for me, I think Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power perfectly sums up my feelings about metal. It's pounding and pissed off, but it's like a battle cry.
It's about turning aggression into inner strength and confidence in your convictions, especially in the face of opposition. And of course, the album rocks the gently caress out.

It shames me to listen to it because 99% of the fan base is retarded and not even 1% of the bands make meaningful music anymore.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Monkeytime posted:

I just saw Arkona at Jaxx in Alexandria VA (a dump, what a dump) and they were amazing. If you're on the fence at all, go.
Seconding this, I was there too, and the sound was lovely but it was still a great experience. The band is really fun and into the music (even if Masha can't speak english beyond "THANK YOU MY BROTHERS" and "THIS NEXT SONG ABOUT RUSSIA")

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

saviro posted:

It shames me to listen to it because 99% of the fan base is retarded and not even 1% of the bands make meaningful music anymore.

In all fairness you could say the same thing about any genre of music right now

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm a bit worried I'll be made fun of because I'm a fake hipster or whatever but I need new music recommendations so here goes. My current favorite bands are ISIS, Agalloch, Fen, and 40 Watt Sun and I really need some new stuff to go to. Any recommendations?

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
For Isis-type stuff, check out Pelican, Cult of Luna, and Neurosis (who basically created the whole "post-metal" sound, and are really drat good in their own right).

Can't really help with the others.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Psycho Mantits posted:

For Isis-type stuff, check out Pelican, Cult of Luna, and Neurosis (who basically created the whole "post-metal" sound, and are really drat good in their own right).

Adding Buried Inside to this list

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Sgt. Slobber posted:

Defiant, aggressive freedom. That sums it up, for me. I love the fact that metal can and does express whatever the hell it likes. Yeah, there's a billion subgenres, but they're all under the same banner. You can rock out with your cock out, murder motherfuckers with a chainsaw, go forward or back in time, into outer space, whatever. Metal offers a greater escape, and, even though it's outside, it's inclusive.

On the other hand, metal can have some pretty horrible lyrics, and that makes me run far away from a lot of bands. Drawing a blank on album/song thing.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Psycho Mantits posted:

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Rosetta whenever someone says "post-metal".

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

McPantserton posted:

I'm a bit worried I'll be made fun of because I'm a fake hipster or whatever but I need new music recommendations so here goes. My current favorite bands are ISIS, Agalloch, Fen, and 40 Watt Sun and I really need some new stuff to go to. Any recommendations?

For Agalloch and Fen, these have been posted many times over in the thread but bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Altar of Plagues, Krallice, Petrychor, Ash Borer, Caina, and Drudkh. There is one band that I believe is from Canada that literally sounds exactly like Agalloch, I just can't remember their name because I'd rather just listen to Agalloch.

Psycho Mantits posted:

You can also throw The Atlas Moth and Bongripper in the mix for these bands as well. The newest Twilight album has Aaron Turner writing and playing on it, so it's basically a nasty raw black metal version of Isis. It's really good.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Give Intronaut a shot too, sometimes it's a tossup between Intronaut and Isis as to who I enjoy more.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

If you like Agalloch, there's a band called the Morningside that I belive someone in this thread recommended to me way back when that sounds very similar.

I also just found out about Negura Bunget recently, who do the whole atmospheric, post black metal thing but with a litte bit of death metal influence thrown in. Definitely check them out.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

McPantserton posted:

Waldgeflüster and Oskoreien should help out with your Fen/Agalloch cravings. Nechochwen and Drudkh (Autumn Aurora in particular) and Gallowbraid will also probably float your boat. (Gonna check out The Morningside, thanks for the suggestion Drifter287!)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

plester1 posted:

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Rosetta whenever someone says "post-metal".

Rosetta is ridiculously good and completely doesn't require a "post-" label. It's just good music to listen to.

Speaking of good music, I made this. I may well do more, especially since 2011 was a drat good year for metal releases and I'd like to do some retrospectives. This is the first episode so it's rough as hell and I just kind of threw together a playlist to see if I'd get the show approved. It took a while but it's finally up. In case you're looking for a podcast or something random to listen to over the holidays, give this a shot. I'd appreciate PMs or emails with any comments too (just to avoid clogging up the thread).

I called it All Shall Fall: http://kclradio.co.uk/music/shows.php?SID=47

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I got into metal around about the same time as Emperor released the much maligned Prometheus; I was more into nu-metal, and when I heard 'The Tongue of Fire' on a free Kerrang! CD (lol) it just blew me away.

I think, as a track, it kind of sums up everything that I love in heavy metal music: it's, in equal measures, mean as hell, epic, evocative, and beautiful. There's incredible solos, sick riffs, dramatic clean singing, terrifying (at the tender age of 13) screaming all in the space of one six minute track. It was like nothing I'd ever heard before, and really this sense of drama and exploration is one which I think is difficult to find in other forms of music.

I think, ten years on, the romance and mystery that extreme metal music had when I was younger has faded somewhat, but the spirit of adventure and freedom that it encompasses is what keeps me coming back :)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Thanks so much, everybody! I had some albums by of the bands mentioned (Neurosis, Pelican, WitTR, Altar of Plagues, Intronaut) but there is a TON of stuff that I haven't checked out and so far everything I've previewed has been really promising! Buried Inside kicks a lot of rear end.

Mizadaranatitanium
Jun 10, 2010
Anyone got any band recommendations for someone who like bands like Gojira, The Ocean Collective, The Human Abstract, Swallow the Sun, Anaal Nathrakh etc..? PS anyone in this thread going to the Soundwave festival? Pretty sweet line up

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Textures and Ihsan.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mizadaranatitanium posted:

Anyone got any band recommendations for someone who like bands like Gojira, The Ocean Collective, The Human Abstract, Swallow the Sun, Anaal Nathrakh etc..? PS anyone in this thread going to the Soundwave festival? Pretty sweet line up

Barren Earth. Same vocalist as Swallow the Sun I believe. Not as doomy, but pretty similar.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IRQ posted:

Barren Earth. Same vocalist as Swallow the Sun I believe. Not as doomy, but pretty similar.
Might also wanna give Black Sun Aeon a go. Another band by Tuomas Saukkonen who also runs Before the Dawn and Dawn of Solace. Seriously, that guy is mind-bogglingly productive.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nordick posted:

Might also wanna give Black Sun Aeon a go. Another band by Tuomas Saukkonen who also runs Before the Dawn and Dawn of Solace. Seriously, that guy is mind-bogglingly productive.
This guy sounds obsessed with the sun and events involving the sun.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Misogynist posted:

This guy sounds obsessed with the sun and events involving the sun.

He annually produces at least three albums of nigh-identical material under different monikers that sounds like it was composed and recorded in a week and tailor-made for ugly goth girls who got their holes damaged by daddy.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
As it's almost the end of the year - what were your top albums?

Here's my list, for what it's worth:
Oskoreien - Oskoreien
Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
Altar of Plagues - Mammal
Falkenbach - Tiurida
Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument
Fen - Epoch
Eïs - Kainsmal
Waldgeflüster - Femundsmarka
Petrychor - Effigies and Epitaphs

(Not in any real order. But the Oskoreien album is probably the one I've listened to most.)

Moonsorrow is my favourite band, but VKKM - while a good album - was nowhere near Hävitetty for me. So it makes the list, but wasn't a clear standout "album of the year" type deal, which I would have predicted before it was released. I mean, I listen to it a fair amount, but I would much, much rather listen to Hävitetty or Verisäkeet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I haven't found a pile of metal albums I really enjoyed this year, but I do need to name All Pigs Must Die's God Is War as my album of the year. Crusty without being sloppy, aggressive as poo poo and really well-constructed all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM2RL9wzu48

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Not what I think are "the years best", but here's what I listened to the most out of the new releases this year:

Leprous - Bilateral
Solstafir - Svartir Sandar
Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
WitTR - Celestial Lineage
Krallice - Diotima
Symphony X - Iconoclast
Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
Anaal Nathrakh - Passion

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

m-o-o-n posted:

He annually produces at least three albums of nigh-identical material under different monikers that sounds like it was composed and recorded in a week and tailor-made for ugly goth girls who got their holes damaged by daddy.
If you think Black Sun Aeon is "nigh-identical" to Before the Dawn, you suck at listening to music.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Misogynist posted:

I haven't found a pile of metal albums I really enjoyed this year, but I do need to name All Pigs Must Die's God Is War as my album of the year. Crusty without being sloppy, aggressive as poo poo and really well-constructed all around.
I've seen a punch of people repping this, I'm gonna have to check it out, thanks.

I'm still mulling over stuff I've listened to, but I'd definitely mention Portrait - Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae (nwobhm, Mercyful Fate worship more or less) and Ribspreader - The Van Murders (death metal). I enjoyed Tyr's album The Lay of Thrym a lot more than previous albums too. It's sort of reminiscent of Amon Amarth's better moments in that it's melodeath, everything sounds really similar, but tracks still have distinguishable melodies enough that you don't feel like it's the same track over and over again.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

FYI, Google Music has a bunch of albums at $4.99 for the holidays, and the metal selection is pretty solid. So far I've picked up the new Wolves in the Throne Room, both Leprous albums, the new Animal as Leaders, Kvelertak, Les Discrets, and some Swallow the Sun and Amorphis albums for 5 clams a pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

het posted:

I've seen a punch of people repping this, I'm gonna have to check it out, thanks.

I'm still mulling over stuff I've listened to, but I'd definitely mention Portrait - Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae (nwobhm, Mercyful Fate worship more or less) and Ribspreader - The Van Murders (death metal). I enjoyed Tyr's album The Lay of Thrym a lot more than previous albums too. It's sort of reminiscent of Amon Amarth's better moments in that it's melodeath, everything sounds really similar, but tracks still have distinguishable melodies enough that you don't feel like it's the same track over and over again.

Lay of Thrymm is head and shoulders above Tyr's previous stuff and really makes me anticipate another album from them.