Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Greggster posted:

:aaa: This is beatiful, and also how I imagine Space Marines to look like (nurgleness aside ofcourse).
How would I best cut and mutilate my future marines to look battle-hardened? Without using green stuff that is.

All of his ugliness is modeled already, but the OP has some weathering guides that would probably do the trick for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Thought you guys might like to know I updated my SA mart post with our full inventory (before our next shipment arrives)

I can also process Credit Cards instead of just paypal.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455444&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post398675927

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Kommando posted:

noone makes resin hexbases. :(

Added some Rottweiler Battlearmour to my Lyran Guards.
drat its hard to paint detail on something only 9mm high.

Email this guy:
http://www.resinaddict.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=457

Cool mechs by the way. :)

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Pierzak posted:

@Simpo: How does Milliput & co. work with fine details? I need GS mainly for little conversions (adding bits of armor, dragon scale details, etc.), and for filling various gaps. Bases would be nice but are not needed.

These seem to be GW 25mm bases but the bases I have to work with are cast together with the minis. I'm in Poland, so that leaves me without some of the options you use.

Is this the sort of thing you're wanting? (ignore my very quick and terrible drybrush attempt)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Daedleh posted:

Is this the sort of thing you're wanting? (ignore my very quick and terrible drybrush attempt)
Yes, I want this sort of floor except painted (I hate the effect of minis' feet
sinking into the GS floor). I'll probably also add some spilled sand/dirt, moss, little clumps of grass, etc.
How did you do the rough surface?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 19, 2011

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Check your PMs :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

She got you a stack of dirty bowls you need to take to the kitchen?

Its a 'workspace'

yeah, i need to clean my desk.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Pierzak posted:

Yes, I want this sort of floor except painted (I hate the effect of minis' feet
sinking into the GS floor). I'll probably also add some spilled sand/dirt, moss, little clumps of grass, etc.
How did you do the rough surface?

As a note I also do this with modelling clay which is alot cheaper than milliput and it works just as well. I save my milliput for things I can't do with clay :)

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Red Herring posted:

Almost finished the Warboss and the Wyvern, just some minor details to do. I'm going to add gore to the axe. I still have to finish the bosspole, the shield is almost done too. Wyvern just needs to have it's eyes and lips done and it's finished.

Anyone got any recepies for gore they prefer? I was just going to use Regal Blue + Red Gore, with a hit of Blood Red mixed in for the highlgiht and just gloss it, but I'm open to suggestions.

I really like this method, with Tamiya Clear.

As an aside, how do you get your "dirty" reds?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
Nearly finished with this wizard for a friend's D&D character:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's an old reaper mini- the detail is a lot shallower, less exaggerated than GW figures. No need to critique the photo technique, they are cell phone pics.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Vim Fuego posted:

I really like the style you used here, with the heavy darklining. Feels like a classic old-school paint job to match the classic old-school mini.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vim Fuego posted:

Your wizard is the poo poo and if you bring minis like this you can play in my campaign any time. ;)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Teach us your secrets.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Whoever plays a wizard that looks like that is a boss.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Vim Fuego posted:

I really like that cape. I am just now attempting freehand stuff on my scratchbuilt 40k killa kans and that looks amazing.

~~

On the subject of scratch building stuff. Does anyone have any experience with a really good CA Glue remover? I had a CA incident involving a model and my kitchen table and now the table and my right hand have a seemingly impenetrable layer of glue on it. No, the hand and the glue are not stuck together.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Verdugo posted:

I really like that cape. I am just now attempting freehand stuff on my scratchbuilt 40k killa kans and that looks amazing.

~~

On the subject of scratch building stuff. Does anyone have any experience with a really good CA Glue remover? I had a CA incident involving a model and my kitchen table and now the table and my right hand have a seemingly impenetrable layer of glue on it. No, the hand and the glue are not stuck together.

Well, when its stuck on models I usually put the model in the freezer. Not sure if that is an option for your table or hand.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's an old reaper mini- the detail is a lot shallower, less exaggerated than GW figures. No need to critique the photo technique, they are cell phone pics.

Needs a wolf or three howling beneath that moon (Looks great!)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Acetone will dissolve CA glue like it's not even there. I've used this several times myself, and there was one incident not long ago where my wife was trying to superglue something and the nozzle was jammed up a bit, and ended up basically gushing superglue all over her hand, firmly gluing her rings in place, all the way around.

A quick rinse with some acetone and the rings fell right off and everything cleaned up good as new. The worst that'll happen is you'll have a little dry skin.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Bad Munki posted:

Acetone will dissolve CA glue like it's not even there. I've used this several times myself, and there was one incident not long ago where my wife was trying to superglue something and the nozzle was jammed up a bit, and ended up basically gushing superglue all over her hand, firmly gluing her rings in place, all the way around.

A quick rinse with some acetone and the rings fell right off and everything cleaned up good as new. The worst that'll happen is you'll have a little dry skin.

Are acetone and simple green safe for use with finecast?
I got a batch of used ogres, and a couple of the finecast minis need to be taken off their bases and stripped.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Manifest posted:

Are acetone and simple green safe for use with finecast?
I got a batch of used ogres, and a couple of the finecast minis need to be taken off their bases and stripped.

Simple Green is definitely safe for resin, not positive about acetone, it's pretty nasty stuff in general.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know, but acetone will definitely eat plastic bases (I've used it for thoroughly debasing a couple minis I had.) For getting CA glue off skin and surfaces, though, it can't be beat. Well, depending on the surface. Your kitchen counter would certainly not care, whereas your fine heirloom dining table might be a bad idea.

It's really not THAT nasty. I mean, compared to happy fuzzy no-problem-leaving-it-with-your-daughter chemicals like simple green, sure, it's the devil, but as real, manly solvents go, it's fairly benign. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 20, 2011

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dominion posted:

Simple Green is definitely safe for resin, not positive about acetone, it's pretty nasty stuff in general.

Acetone is bad for resin. It will melt plastics.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Still, the original question was (I think) about a kitchen table and a human hand, both of which acetone ought to work great with (depending on the table, I suppose, but the hand will have no trouble.)

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

And please god don't wash your acetone down the sink. Doesn't matter how harmless you think it will be - even just tiny bit! - dispose of it properly. I spend most of my days in a chem lab and seeing people throw that stuff down the sink is awful!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Munki posted:

Still, the original question was (I think) about a kitchen table and a human hand, both of which acetone ought to work great with (depending on the table, I suppose, but the hand will have no trouble.)

Yeah. I'm going to try the acetone on the edge of the table that sits against the wall in case it's destructive, but I think I can get the table clean with that. I have some lying around.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
I painted up my first TH/SS Terminator today. I still have lots of room for improvement but I can already see things I am doing better than the Lightning Claw terminators I previously did.

Also thanks for the advice on finding Simple Green in Canada. I found it at the local Canadian Tire, while looking for christmas lights. Couldn't find LA's cleaner at the dollar store though. I have a feeling I'll eventually Simple Green this model and redo it when I improve some more but for now I'm pretty happy with him.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

gropemotron posted:

I painted up my first TH/SS Terminator today. I still have lots of room for improvement but I can already see things I am doing better than the Lightning Claw terminators I previously did.

Also thanks for the advice on finding Simple Green in Canada. I found it at the local Canadian Tire, while looking for christmas lights. Couldn't find LA's cleaner at the dollar store though. I have a feeling I'll eventually Simple Green this model and redo it when I improve some more but for now I'm pretty happy with him.

I would think about using a more silvery or steely color for the hammer on that guy. The gold with the yellow armor is maybe a bit too much yellow, a more steel or silver colored hammer would offset it nicely.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

And please god don't wash your acetone down the sink. Doesn't matter how harmless you think it will be - even just tiny bit! - dispose of it properly. I spend most of my days in a chem lab and seeing people throw that stuff down the sink is awful!

Are you urging this because it's harmful to plumbing or because it's toxic to the environment?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Dominion posted:

Are you urging this because it's harmful to plumbing or because it's toxic to the environment?

Does it matter? Are you going to pour the acetone down the drain if it won't damage your pipes even if it fucks up the water table?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Does it matter? Are you going to pour the acetone down the drain if it won't damage your pipes even if it fucks up the water table?

No, I was just curious which it was. I'm not gonna pour the stuff down the drain either way.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Dominion posted:

No, I was just curious which it was. I'm not gonna pour the stuff down the drain either way.

A bit of both. It's worse in a lab because we've had a few idiots pour different things down the drain and explode somewhere along the way. For everyday life it's just bad for both and one of those things where a number of people think 'it's only a little bit' and collectively mess stuff up. There are normally places at the dump you can throw it away, but if you MUST get rid of it down the sink throw it down a tiny bit at a time with lots of flowing water.

If you put it through a coffee filter you can reuse acetone a fair bit too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lethemonster posted:

if you MUST get rid of it down the sink throw it down a tiny bit at a time with lots of flowing water.

The solution to pollution is dilution!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

A bit of both. It's worse in a lab because we've had a few idiots pour different things down the drain and explode somewhere along the way. For everyday life it's just bad for both and one of those things where a number of people think 'it's only a little bit' and collectively mess stuff up. There are normally places at the dump you can throw it away, but if you MUST get rid of it down the sink throw it down a tiny bit at a time with lots of flowing water.

If you put it through a coffee filter you can reuse acetone a fair bit too.

Would putting it in a sealed container in the trash be bad as well? Like how you dispose of grease and the like? Or is that still bad because it all ends up in the landfill/sewer anyway?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Dominion posted:

Would putting it in a sealed container in the trash be bad as well? Like how you dispose of grease and the like? Or is that still bad because it all ends up in the landfill/sewer anyway?

Still bad.
This goes for you guys who strip paint with brake fluid too.
Take it to a dumping facility that accepts liquid waste. They're all over the place.
Or use simple green because you can throw it all over the place and it's perfectly natural.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The wikipedia page for Acetone says it evaporates quickly even from soil and decays relatively quickly in the atmosphere. Just leave it out in the sun!

Comedy option: set it on fire.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 20, 2011

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm pretty sure you could disappear a gallon of it in about ten minutes with a good speed fan just blowing air across the top.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

The wikipedia page for Acetone says it evaporates quickly even from soil and decays relatively quickly in the atmosphere. Just leave it out in the sun!

Comedy option: set it on fire.

Do not listen to this guy. Although setting it on fire is better than evapourating it into the water system. Seriously why the hell do people think putting it directly into the environment is better than through the sewage system.

Acetone is ok for stripping models but people should really buy alternatives like Simple green and Dettol. :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Burning it, assuming it's clean, should be a pretty benign way to go. Aside from the obvious pollutants added in during use, pure acetone combusts, like, what, C3H6O + 4O2 -> 3CO2 + 3H2O?

And in any event, I'd rather gently caress da erf and give my hand a quick rinse in acetone than sit there with my hand in a jar of simple green for a day while I wait for the glue to dissolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

... Seriously why the hell do people think putting it directly into the environment is better than through the sewage system. ...

People that want the future to be grim. And dark. :hist101:

• Locked thread