Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
You'll need a LOT of room to run that car. I was running a 65+ mph buggy a few weeks ago, and it took a lot of room to get it up to that speed. Even accounting for the crap aerodynamics of a 1/8th buggy, you'd need at least as much space as we used to get 100+ out of that car I'm sure, so figure two football fields of running space plus braking area.

I do like the undertray, though.

e: didn't want to double post, but here's the newest thing at RC airplane meets, apparently:

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
If I wanted an RC car capable of going 10+ miles without stopping (at slow speeds, under 15MPH), what would be my best bet? I've had nitro buggies when I was a teen and the engines seemed sort of finicky in that they'd sometimes just die for whatever reason and need to be restarted. The options are:

1. Some nitro setup with a huge fuel tank

2. An electric with a poo poo load of batteries strapped on.

Any model recommendations (would need to be more off-road oriented)? The more dependable the better. I also have no idea if anything close to 10 miles is even reasonable.

edit: apparently there exists two stroke RC cars that use unleaded gas, that seems promising.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 15, 2011

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yeah, the HPI Baja's are 2 stroke and can pretty easily have another fuel tank thrown on.

e: there's also this
http://www.hpiracing.com/barstow2vegas/
:v:

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
I'm really late to this thread and trying to catch up, so sorry if I missed this question.

I just moved last summer, and I live in Valdez, AK. Our weather is mostly, Snow, more snow than you want to think of.

I'm bored out of my mind and looking at some hobby to do during the long winter months that doesn't involve a shovel and my roof.

Is there an R/C car/truck/whatever that could be fun for this? Not just toy level, but something someone in their mid-thirties could enjoy, build, and repair. I'm a beginner (I know nothing about R/C) but not an idiot with tools and working on things.

I'm just looking at something fun I can play with this kind of weather and landscape.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There's a ton of different vehicles you can look at, I'd suggest something electric and 1/10th scale. Look at the Axial scale trucks, they have them in RTR and build it yourself form. Bust out a scale version of your actual truck and you'll have to fight off your buddies from wanting to drive. Nitro is nice, but temperamental at your latitudes! Plug-and-go is the way to do it.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
I'm pretty much sea level right now, but the top of our pass is around 3800 feet, but I don't go up there unless I'm getting out of town. I should have said this before, I'm pretty much sold on Electric because there are no hobby shops or anywhere I could get gas for it here without traveling 700 miles round trip to buy it in bulk.

If this helps, the snow is usually pretty sticky and soft. So track with smooth belly is great. I might be wishing for more than I should, but who knows, maybe someone has a good suggestion. This is really my first attempt to ask around.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boba_Fettish posted:

I'm pretty much sea level right now, but the top of our pass is around 3800 feet, but I don't go up there unless I'm getting out of town. I should have said this before, I'm pretty much sold on Electric because there are no hobby shops or anywhere I could get gas for it here without traveling 700 miles round trip to buy it in bulk.

If this helps, the snow is usually pretty sticky and soft. So track with smooth belly is great. I might be wishing for more than I should, but who knows, maybe someone has a good suggestion. This is really my first attempt to ask around.

anything 4WD and big - Savage, E-Revo, etc.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I was thinking with the space that's likely in Alaska, you can get away with just about anything, even 1/5th scale (uses pump gasoline and 2-cycle engine oil, just like a weedwhacker). 1/5th brushless is starting to come out but the batteries are catastrophically expensive.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Boba_Fettish posted:

I just moved last summer, and I live in Valdez, AK. Our weather is mostly, Snow, more snow than you want to think of.

I'm bored out of my mind and looking at some hobby to do during the long winter months that doesn't involve a shovel and my roof.

Is there an R/C car/truck/whatever that could be fun for this? Not just toy level, but something someone in their mid-thirties could enjoy, build, and repair. I'm a beginner (I know nothing about R/C) but not an idiot with tools and working on things.

I'm just looking at something fun I can play with this kind of weather and landscape.

Valdez! Say hi to Jamie and Kit if you run into them, that's my sister and BIL. Unless you're a stalker weirdo, but they're both appropriately armed and unstable.

Anyway, I saw some video of some guys using speedboats in the snow. It takes a ton of room so it would be pretty cool out on the glacier or something. I suppose you could actually put one in the water too.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
I'll have to find a Video of that, sounds pretty cool actually. I guess that's a good use for the baseball field in the winter.

If I see a Jamie and Kit together, I will let them know an internet person said hello, and claims sibling status. :) I was handed my stack of guns and Ammo when I got to town so I'd be better at fitting in.

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNt0PUahTY

This looks pretty cool, but I'm afraid that the snow here isn't usually the light and powdery snow, it's a bit thicker, and mixed with plenty of wind drifts. Still, looks awesome.

Don Baylor fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 15, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hayden. posted:

If I wanted an RC car capable of going 10+ miles without stopping (at slow speeds, under 15MPH), what would be my best bet? I've had nitro buggies when I was a teen and the engines seemed sort of finicky in that they'd sometimes just die for whatever reason and need to be restarted. The options are:

1. Some nitro setup with a huge fuel tank

2. An electric with a poo poo load of batteries strapped on.

Any model recommendations (would need to be more off-road oriented)? The more dependable the better. I also have no idea if anything close to 10 miles is even reasonable.

edit: apparently there exists two stroke RC cars that use unleaded gas, that seems promising.
I just did an enduro run where you had to run your electric onroad RC car for half an hour. I was able to do that with a silver can 540 motor in an AWD chassis with a 5000 milliamp Lipo battery. The charge went from 8.40v to 7.56v

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Snowboating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNt0PUahTY

F Yeah! Some good snow/RC related videos too.

edit: ninja-ed by like a minute. Good show.

Jamie says the NRA Ball is the biggest event of the year. I wouldn't doubt it.

Dielectric fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 15, 2011

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So, I am addicted to micro RC.

These were a big craze about 5 years ago, although occasionally new ones are released in different formats. The truck one is the most recent - Airhogs Thunder Trucks. it has working front and rear suspension and 2 speed forward controlled by a button on the remote (IR). unfortunately while its very similar in construction to the Bit-Char Gs (the cars) they dont share any parts. The motor is smaller, the gear set different, and axles/knuckles are different. Still, plenty of fun to play with since it isnt toppled easily or stopped by dusty floorboards.

The cars are bit-char Gs. Japanese RC (radio) that came as a kit you had to build yourself (to a degree). fit the gears, tires, rear axle and the body, charge and go. they mainly focused on Japanese cars that had an impact on car culture, with a few oddballs for good measure (you can get yoshi and mario "mario karts" Japanese buses, and speed racer modesl too). I started out when the craze was big with a chinese knock off, then upgraded later to a genuine kit that was also a limited edition 2 speed model, similar to the truck. They also spawned a line of pull-back cars that had other bodies.

I have a bunch of mods and accessories for them, like ripple strips and cones for making circuits on the floor, tire sets (soft, medium, hard) motors (ranging from 10,000RPM up to 40,000), gear sets, Sway-bars and (home made) suspension, motor heatsinks and third party up grades like photo-etched alloy wheels.

From left to right - Honda Mobil NSX, Skyline 2000 GT-R, Nissan Gloria, Thunder Truck, Nissan 350Z, Mitsubishi Ralliar WRC Evo VII.

other bodies: Evo VII, R32 GT-R, Supra, FD RX-7, R34 GT-R, Celica

Theres also Ferraris, Porsche, Lamborghini and lotus models, but they are even harder to find than what I already have (and Japanese is more my style anyway).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Very cool! I posted a while back ITT about the Radio Shack Zip Zap sets I got a while back. Haven't tried running it in a while, but I have a good-sized coffee table that would be a cool location for a track :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Not a R/C car but hey, it's r/c...

I picked up a new (to me) heli the other day as a bigger counterpart to my mcpX. Quite a bit bigger! Align TRex 500 ESP. Holy balls it's a rush getting this huge bastard in the air. The sound it makes is impressive as hell. Here's a lovely phone video of my lovely flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHwF0bm4Sxs&feature=g-upl&context=G2eb0053AUAAAAAAAAAA

I've got a fair bit of experience with the mcpx, but this thing is so intimidating (especially in this small an area) and crashes so much more expensive I'm not doing a whole hell of a lot. Not that I really have the room to do much anyway.

Who else flies r/c?

Edit -

I also managed to break the drat scroll wheel on my DX6i :argh:. Have a milled aluminum replacement from East RC on the way.

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 20, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do, but I fly planes. I know there are a bunch of fixed wing and heli guys floating around in this thread.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

needknees posted:

Align TRex 500 ESP

Who else flies r/c?

Good choice, that is a nice ship. I've been looking at picking up a medium sized electric for a while.

I used to fly a lot in high school and college...that was my life in high school. Need to pack up the remaining fleet and bring them down to Tennessee. I started on a Raptor 30 v1, crashed and rebuilt too many times to count. Had lots of smaller electrics (align, hornet, laheli, etc) and a big Bergen gasser camera ship.

If you think the 500 is intimidating fire up a 16 pound gasser (22 pound flying weight) with 810mm blades and 2k+ worth of camera equipment under it...got so nervous every time I flew that drat thing.

Also for any heli guys if you're not on the runryder.com forums you might want to look into it. Was one of the better ones when I was flying.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I do, but I fly planes. I know there are a bunch of fixed wing and heli guys floating around in this thread.

I still want to get a cheap little 3d foamie kit to put together. Flew a buddies awhile ago and it was a riot. Very calming... unlike helis which have you on edge all the time!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Good choice, that is a nice ship. I've been looking at picking up a medium sized electric for a while.

I used to fly a lot in high school and college...that was my life in high school. Need to pack up the remaining fleet and bring them down to Tennessee. I started on a Raptor 30 v1, crashed and rebuilt too many times to count. Had lots of smaller electrics (align, hornet, laheli, etc) and a big Bergen gasser camera ship.

If you think the 500 is intimidating fire up a 16 pound gasser (22 pound flying weight) with 810mm blades and 2k+ worth of camera equipment under it...got so nervous every time I flew that drat thing.

Also for any heli guys if you're not on the runryder.com forums you might want to look into it. Was one of the better ones when I was flying.

Thanks :). It's not a "big" heli but compared to the ultra micro class mcpX it's MASSIVE! A friend of mine has a 550e and that's another huge step up in size. The 450s look tiny compared to these things! Never seen a bigger ship in person than that 550 but I can imagine... I've never been a fan of nitro stuff, cars or otherwise. electric is much easier and cheaper than it ever used to be now that you can get high quality packs for reasonable prices.

In looking at the various sizes it seems the 500 is one of the best compromises between scale and price of parts. 550 and up the parts get expensive in a hurry. There's tons of aftermarket stuff available for them too.I'm not sure why but I wouldn't mind picking up an Align 250 for indoor flying. We have a pretty big area near the indoor track available to mess around in. You can't fling the big ones around much but the mcpX is a riot. Gets a little hard to see sometimes though.

I want to put my gopro on the 500 at some point for some areal video/photos. It should be fine with that amount of weight hanging off it.

needknees fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 20, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Here's the r/c airplane and helicopter thread. it's not as active. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

Sport trainer aircraft are really, very, relaxing to fly. They're stable, they do what you ask. I could almost sleep flying my UM T-28s. My UM Sukhoi takes a lot of effort to fly.

And I don't have any pictures of the sukhoi...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Check out this thread for planes/helis:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

efb by seconds

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

needknees posted:

I still want to get a cheap little 3d foamie kit to put together. Flew a buddies awhile ago and it was a riot. Very calming... unlike helis which have you on edge all the time!

I fly a UMX Beast these days, which is half way between a 3D foamie and a parkflyer, and is both relaxing and hectic to fly, and a ton of fun.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I very nearly bought the beast. How does it handle wind? how does it compare to the UM Sukhoi?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

I very nearly bought the beast. How does it handle wind? how does it compare to the UM Sukhoi?

Never flown the Sukhoi so I cant comment, but the Beast handles wind very well. I came from a full-size Parkzone T-28, which I crashed into oblivion, then moved to the Beast. The Beast very much flies like a larger parkflier, and is very similar to the full-size T-28 in its ability to handle wind. Obviously it doesnt have the weight to take huge winds, but its not like other UM's that will stray 100 yards off course if someone sneezes outside.

My brother in law has a UM T-28, and the Beast is a much better flier in general, and in the wind. It is also a more advanced plane, using a brushless motor, and 2S batteries.

Aerobatics-wise its awesome, and is a great intro to aerobatics. It certainly has more capability than I have skills at the sticks, and looks very impressive when flying.

The new Beast II has a gyro stabilization system that is supposed to make it even better in the wind, but I'm not moving to the Beast II until I completely kill my original Beast, because it flies so well. That may take a while, as I rarely crash the Beast, whereas my fullsize T-28 got crashed constantly. Despite being the "more difficult to fly" of the two (Beast and full-size T-28), I have much better luck with the Beast.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't think this has been posted in here yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZiRMKoOTBA

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

InitialDave posted:

I don't think this has been posted in here yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZiRMKoOTBA
Dog keeps getting off because she doesnt like exhaust in her face. Good pet owner.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Probably the noise is bothering her more than the smoke. But I hope that guy isn't in love with his clutch, it's probably wrecked after that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never understood rc towing dickwaving contests. Who regularly tows with an rc car? Absolutely no one. So who cares how much it can pull.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I never understood rc towing dickwaving contests. Who regularly tows with an rc car? Absolutely no one. So who cares how much it can pull.

The same people that care about shelf queens and ALL ALLOY PARTS MAKE THE BEST BASHERS.

I was into nitro pretty heavily around the days of the Savage supremacy. The only alloy parts I put on that werent there from the factory was steering bellcranks and diff cups. Plenty of flex for lovely landings and cheap to replace. The guys with alloy arms and shocks constantly bending poo poo, always moaning about how much they spent and how 'cheap' the parts were made.

I kinda miss those days, then I remember what it was like to have to choose between lunch or buying more parts to get my RC ready for next weekend and I kinda get over it. Micro RC is proving to be quite enough for me, for now.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QC44VYJkUQ

This a pretty acceptable use of an RC trailer IMHO.

Edit: in other videos the pickup truck is actually a pretty sweet drifter in its own right.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Laserface posted:

The same people that care about shelf queens and ALL ALLOY PARTS MAKE THE BEST BASHERS.

I was into nitro pretty heavily around the days of the Savage supremacy. The only alloy parts I put on that werent there from the factory was steering bellcranks and diff cups. Plenty of flex for lovely landings and cheap to replace. The guys with alloy arms and shocks constantly bending poo poo, always moaning about how much they spent and how 'cheap' the parts were made.

I kinda miss those days, then I remember what it was like to have to choose between lunch or buying more parts to get my RC ready for next weekend and I kinda get over it. Micro RC is proving to be quite enough for me, for now.

hehe I remember that, guys showing up at parking lot races with $1000 investment (minus engine, pipe, electronics, etc.) into a $200 car and wondering why it was slow, heavy and very expensive to crash. Those were the days!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

hehe I remember that, guys showing up at parking lot races with $1000 investment (minus engine, pipe, electronics, etc.) into a $200 car and wondering why it was slow, heavy and very expensive to crash. Those were the days!

well yeah. I mean I poured money into my Savage(s) but it was always on spare parts because I drove it with one goal in mind - to pull ridiculous poo poo at all costs. The guys with 2K revos (in Australia, revos were initially priced around 1K) would be trying to pull off similar jumps and just shattering their suspension, scratching their heads, throwing on more red tie-rods and trying again.

Things that kept ruining my day at the BMX track, like diffs chewing out or ring gears stripping (which were a 20+ bolt and greasy/dirty way to spend an hour) got upgrades to alloy parts, I went from pullstarts to electric starters then back to pulls, alloy fuel tank holders to stop it cracking on hard landings, and a chassis with a skid plate that screwed on through the TVPs for super rigidity. I plowed that thing off-centre into a pole at the top of 3rd gear on a .30ci motor and it still came away straight as a die. I mean, I bent dogbones, cracked A-arms, wheels, and vaporised the carrier hubs, but the chassis was straight!

I eventually replaced the Savages with an LST2 which handled infinitely better but ultimately was not as well suited to hucking off berms at the BMX track and catching 60' of off-axis air.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There were a LOT of companies that built up a bankroll with the options for Savages, Nitro RS4s and lots of other kits. And the Savage X redesign made it much quicker to get to the diffs, I think it's less than 10 screws to get the diff out now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Laserface posted:

When I used to own a Stampede and followed the Stampede world, I remember guys who would literally build all-alloy stampedes, as in no factory plastic remaining except the wheels.

The total cost would be something insane like $700, the truck would weigh 15 lbs, and they would undoubtedly be back on the forums looking for the biggest motor they could get for it because the stock Stampede motor was never designed with 15 lbs of metal in mind. Then once they did get it running acceptably, they'd invariably tag a pole or a curb or something, which would bend an A-arm, which would tweak the frame, and the whole thing was garbage after one hit.

Meanwhile I put my stock Pede with RPM A-arms through hell and back and it was fine every time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

When I used to own a Stampede and followed the Stampede world, I remember guys who would literally build all-alloy stampedes, as in no factory plastic remaining except the wheels.

The total cost would be something insane like $700, the truck would weigh 15 lbs, and they would undoubtedly be back on the forums looking for the biggest motor they could get for it because the stock Stampede motor was never designed with 15 lbs of metal in mind. Then once they did get it running acceptably, they'd invariably tag a pole or a curb or something, which would bend an A-arm, which would tweak the frame, and the whole thing was garbage after one hit.

Meanwhile I put my stock Pede with RPM A-arms through hell and back and it was fine every time.

pretty much this. RPM arms were the poo poo.

I mean I went through about 1.5 spur gears in a day of bashing the savage, but a $10 weak point is OK with me if it protects my 3speed and clutch. I could nearly change that fucker while blindfolded.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The savage was and always will be the beast that wants to be punished. My original savage21 had me hell bent on blowing up the engine. I removed all head shims, ran 30% nitro that had 8% synthetic oil (7 gallons!). I had it running 380-400 degrees, and would be dead pegged on the throttle for the entire tank, all the way through my radio range. It finally died when I jumped off a snowbank and landed topside on the asphalt. It cracked the block from the front bearing to the backplate. Not a lot of power, but still the most amazing engine that just wouldn't die no matter what I did (outside of destroying the block)

I've got 2 something's awesome in the works, one being my cup racer, the other my HBS Cyclone I'm making my drift car. The cup racer is a Datsun 510, the cyclone is a Silvia S15. Both will have full lights, and body accessories, and a Japanese sunburst paint scheme. They're masked off, waiting to be painted.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Man I love the idea of the Cup Racer, I just wish more clubs (read: the only onroad club within 1hrs drive of me) supported them. Wont even let em run in the Mini class :(

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Haha, I'm so glad everyone around here understands how dumb those all alloy guys are. I can't imagine spending that much money on a shelf queen.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just bought a Stampede 4x4 last week and a few LiPO's. It's hella fun to drive, but I broke one of the rear bearing carriers and a rear stub axle already. LHS doesn't have the axles in stock, so I ordered MIP X-Duty's as replacement. I hope they hold up better. I just want to tear poo poo up. Well, to be honest - I bought it as a Christmas present for my boys but thanks to me breaking stuff they haven't been able to drive it much yet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stampedes are super fun. Once you figure out what breaks frequently and replace it with RPM or whatever parts, they become nearly unkillable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Good to know, thank you. I was warned of the stock a-arms ahead of time and already replaced those with RPM parts.