Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I was pissed when someone on eBay sent me Black Moth Super Rainbow's first EP in a bubble mailer with no cardboard support. There's only 500 of them out there. Thanks rear end hole.

Was it ruined when you got it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

CPL593H posted:

Was it ruined when you got it?

I haven't played it because it's dirty and I don't have a cleaner yet, but all corners were bent to poo poo. Lucky it didn't snap in half.

EDIT: Anyone want to get never played Black Keys El Camino and The Big Come Up? My boyfriend bought an extra El Camino for me for Christmas so I need to unload my copy. Ended up getting the first press of The Big Come Up so I don't need my other copy.

EDIT 2: Still waiting on my NMH box set. :(

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 20, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Third Man Records Vault packages are always sent without bubble wrap or anything. I'm always surprised that they're not ruined when they arrive here in Europe.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I emailed everyone in regards to the records I'm selling. Was pretty busy last week and didn't want to have to delay shipping. I am pretty open this week though so I can ship quickly. Check your junk mail if you don't see anything in your inbox.

Some more stuff I dug up.

Boris/sunn0)))-Altar 3xlp (sweetest packaging I have ever seen)
Fantomas-delirium cordia (actually this one might be cooler, 2x picture lp with super glossy heavy duty gatefold)
At the drive in/Sunshine split (clear pink)
Cibo Matto-Stereotype A (2x gatefold way oop)

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I think I emailed everyone in regards to the records I'm selling. Was pretty busy last week and didn't want to have to delay shipping. I am pretty open this week though so I can ship quickly. Check your junk mail if you don't see anything in your inbox.

Fantomas-delirium cordia (actually this one might be cooler, 2x picture lp with super glossy heavy duty gatefold)

Man, I'm interested in 1 or both of those. How much did you want? I'm in Oakland, CA for shipping estimates

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

NESguerilla posted:

At the drive in/Sunshine split (clear pink)
Cibo Matto-Stereotype A (2x gatefold way oop)

I'll take the Cibo Matto. PMed.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Anyone know of a decent record shop in Munich? I'm looking mainy for electronic, reggae, and dancehall but I'm open to anything, especially if its within walking distance of Marienplatz. Most of the ones I've found online have since closed...

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

So I'm gonna get a vintage direct drive turntable purely for sampling purposes only. I also would like to listen to vinyl occasionally. Currently I have an Apogee Duet audio interface (2 ins, 2 outs), and a small Behringer mixer. What would I need to connect my turntable to my computer? Do I have everything I need already, or do I need a separate pre-amp?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Gotta say, it feels drat nice to come upstairs after eating dinner and spin up some "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra. Nothing beats vinyl. Not by a long shot.

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells

dookie posted:

What would I need to connect my turntable to my computer? Do I have everything I need already, or do I need a separate pre-amp?

You're going to need something to amplify the turntable output to line level and apply RIAA equalization, so you'll need either an integrated amp with a phono in and a line out or a dedicated phono pre-amp.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Just watch out for the many, many lovely DD tables that were made in the 70's.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FFStudios posted:

Gotta say, it feels drat nice to come upstairs after eating dinner and spin up some "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra. Nothing beats vinyl. Not by a long shot.

Psh. C-cassettes have superior sonic hardware anti-aliasing and a limited dynamic range that closely matches the psychoacoustic expectation matrix when listening to old music while the integration of several moving parts in both the replay equipment and the medium itself provides additional leeway for the sound - after all, sound waves are just motion - that the rigid plastic disc simply cannot accomplish.

Also, all my christmas music is on cassettes bought from gas stations in the eighties.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I listen to all my vinyl through my phone's speakers. It's the only way to achieve sonic perfection.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

dookie posted:

So I'm gonna get a vintage direct drive turntable purely for sampling purposes only. I also would like to listen to vinyl occasionally. Currently I have an Apogee Duet audio interface (2 ins, 2 outs), and a small Behringer mixer. What would I need to connect my turntable to my computer? Do I have everything I need already, or do I need a separate pre-amp?

Since you are an electronic dude (like myself) here's my setup. It might be a little overboard for what you are trying to do but its loving FUN.

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-iBATTLEPACK-Vinyl-Ipod-Package/dp/B001RP3VSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324566070&sr=8-1

This package comes with two DD TT1625 Numark turntables, not the greatest things in the world by a long shot but they are fantastic for practicing mixing at home. It also comes with a cheap mixer (that can record your mixes/samples directly into an ipod if you care about that) and a pair of DJ headphones.

Now im my opinion if you want to get the best sound out of vinyl sampling then you should really look into getting a secondhand Akai MPC (1000 series or higher). I have a MPC 1000 I bought used and it sounds great when ripping samples from records.

Just run 1/4 inch cables from the mixer into the 1/4 imputs on the MPC, hit record, and you are good to go. This setup also means you can sample scratches directly over whatever tune you are trying to sample. Álso the MPC gives the samples a great "flavor" that maybe someone who is smarter than me can explain.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I listen to all my vinyl through my phone's speakers. It's the only way to achieve sonic perfection.

The ideal setup is to place your phone next to the stereo system and listen to the music through your other phone that you have called from the first phone, from a distance of about 100 metres. It adds tremendous depth to the sound stage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maguro posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-iBATTLEPACK-Vinyl-Ipod-Package/dp/B001RP3VSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324566070&sr=8-1

This package comes with two DD TT1625 Numark turntables, not the greatest things in the world by a long shot but they are fantastic for practicing mixing at home. It also comes with a cheap mixer (that can record your mixes/samples directly into an ipod if you care about that) and a pair of DJ headphones.

If, as I suspect, they come with those 'Numark' Groove Tool cartridges (which I believe are the cheapest kind of magnetic cartridge made in China, available under about 40000 other brands), Dookie'll do well to consider investing in something non-lovely.

VVVV I thought that was what I said?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 22, 2011

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Or just buy new carts? Like every DJ does anyway?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Seriously the concept that you wouldn't buy turntables based on what carts they come with is making my brain hurt.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

answersyouseek posted:

Erika does them but Flexis are retarded.

The point is that they're retarded, if I can find a place that does them cheap enough I'll describe what I'm doing.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Speaking from personal experience, this is something that will leave you broken inside and wishing you'd just bought an old Presto off the bay. :negative:
Whose guides did you follow? That guy that taught christian marclay I guess has a bunch of online tutorials because he teaches it to kids, at least an edison cylinder version

Jerry Cotton posted:

By the way, there are 12" pizza boxes that are just right for mailing 12" records. I only realized this when I received such a package, from Italy of course.
Buying records from Italy in a pizza box sounds like your average record nightmare. Ryan Cappalleti from Punks Before Profits used to send all his stuff in duct taped cardboard scraps. People who professionally burn bridges can't even come close to his awesomeness.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

The point is that they're retarded, if I can find a place that does them cheap enough I'll describe what I'm doing.
I've actually kind of had a use for pressing flexis myself, if you ever find a good one...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't have the box I got the records from Italy in but I had one I got a pizza in (a different model but similar size) lying about so I tried it out and I really don't see the problem. The size was just perfect, the cardboard is actually sturdier than in some of the packaging meant specifically for shipping LPs and the amount of assembly required is about the same. I wouldn't be surprised to learn these things come from the exact same cardboard-thingie-making machine.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

The ideal setup is to place your phone next to the stereo system and listen to the music through your other phone that you have called from the first phone, from a distance of about 100 metres. It adds tremendous depth to the sound stage.

I only listen to music recorded on an Edison cylinder :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I only listen to music recorded on an Edison cylinder :colbert:

I just look at phonautograms and deduce the music. (I would collect the poo poo out of Edison cylinders if I ever saw them. I guess They'd be out of my price range, though.)

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
NMH boxset arrived. It really has great production quality. My 2nd best purchase of the year, with number one being the Mr Gasser reprints on Black Friday.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just look at phonautograms and deduce the music. (I would collect the poo poo out of Edison cylinders if I ever saw them. I guess They'd be out of my price range, though.)

Me too :ssh: Those things are cool as hell.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

VVVV I thought that was what I said?

Ah I thought you meant the turntables were not worth purchasing if they didn't come with nicer carts. Misunderstanding.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Needs pictures...

I'm a bit of a hoarder.
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/stack.JPG

My expidit is now on its side. Sucks that plastic sleeves make the spines unreadable.
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/expedit.JPG

More hoarding...
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/moreclutter.JPG

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 22, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

My expidit is now on its side. Sucks that plastic sleeves make the spines unreadable.

My job sucks, I had heart problems a while back, my home is a mess, and I drive a 1984 Opel Kadett 1.2. Yet, this is what annoys me every loving day. The bit about the sleeves, not your Expedit being on its side.

Also, give me all your record players. And that NES.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Not an Anthem posted:

Whose guides did you follow? That guy that taught christian marclay I guess has a bunch of online tutorials because he teaches it to kids, at least an edison cylinder version

Please share. My pseudo workshop is a mess of speaker drivers and broken dreams.

cosmicjim posted:

Needs pictures...

More hoarding...

Nice Garrard A.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

cosmicjim posted:

Needs pictures...

I'm a bit of a hoarder.

More hoarding...

Is the weird vacuum pressed clear topped organic-topped record player a lathe as well? What is it?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
It's a Garrard A type.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

That Garrard Type A plays music but I have to get the platter going by hand. It seems the motor isn't strong enough to get it started on it's own anymore. I guess it's the motor's fault. I don't really know what to do.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Cosmicjim, maybe you should just start up a record shop with all that.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Needs pictures...

I'm a bit of a hoarder.

More hoarding...
hahaha holy poo poo you are me. Unfortunately I got rid of about 6 turntables and receivers a week ago or my shameful pictures would have been crazier than they're about to be (don't have a camera handy)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

MokBa posted:

Cosmicjim, maybe you should just start up a record shop with all that.

I live in a town that can't support 2 record shops. I don't want to compete with the one that's already here, because I consider the guy my friend, though I think I could do it better. Also, been considering opening a used video game store(I own every licensed nes game including stadium events).

I even own a store front in the downtown section of my city, but I cant decide if I want to put a store in it, sell it, or rent it out. I have a full time job that I'm not going to quit so I can run a second hand store.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

(I own every licensed nes game including stadium events).

:smug: /

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

cosmicjim posted:

I live in a town that can't support 2 record shops. I don't want to compete with the one that's already here, because I consider the guy my friend, though I think I could do it better. Also, been considering opening a used video game store(I own every licensed nes game including stadium events).

I even own a store front in the downtown section of my city, but I cant decide if I want to put a store in it, sell it, or rent it out. I have a full time job that I'm not going to quit so I can run a second hand store.

I just can't believe anyone can have so many turntables all stacked on top of each other like that! There's not a single shop in my state that even has that many for sale.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

MokBa posted:

I just can't believe anyone can have so many turntables all stacked on top of each other like that! There's not a single shop in my state that even has that many for sale.

I think I have 8 total. Though, I sold 3, and gave 3 broken ones to the local shop recently.
I have tons more of other old electronics though. My garage is disgusting.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

cosmicjim posted:

I think I have 8 total. Though, I sold 3, and gave 3 broken ones to the local shop recently.
I have tons more of other old electronics though. My garage is disgusting.

Why do you do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Why do you do this?

HOARDING IS A DISEASE. DON'T JUDGE ME. Seriously, though. I can't pass up a bargain.