Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I just started a Sorcerer character out of curiosity to see his starting stuff, and gently caress me he can one-shot most enemies in the Undead Parish right from the off...

I'm thinking of raising the intelligence of my main character to use some of that stuff.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

MZ posted:

I just started a Sorcerer character out of curiosity to see his starting stuff, and gently caress me he can one-shot most enemies in the Undead Parish right from the off...

I'm thinking of raising the intelligence of my main character to use some of that stuff.....

Sorcerer is all fun and games until you get to the Carpa Demon

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

^^^If your connection isn't good, you can do the play offline option. And don't get too worried about people loving you up...you can only get invaded if you're in "human" form, which you never have to be in.^^^

Man I love relatively new game threads, answers come so quick. And yeah the connection in my apartment stinks because we don't have wireless and it's a bitch getting the ethernet cable across the room from the jack to the Xbox.

This question is just out of curiousity: How does the game handle saves? Can you have an unlimited number of files restricted by hard drive space or are there 3 available like in Zelda or what?
e. Wow now I got to reading about human form, it basically seems like turning PvP on in World of Warcraft. That's pretty neat. Are there other benefits/disadvantages to being human or is it a glorified PvP switch?

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 21, 2011

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I think you have 10 character slots.

Humanity also gives you access to co-op play, so it's a double-edged sword of having people to help you, but people who can harm you as well. Even if you're playing offline, being human will let you summon NPC phantoms in certain areas and let you get invaded by NPCs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's something to be said about summoning two dudes who can only communicate by pumping their arms in the air and demolishing demons and crazy undead knights.

Coop owns.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Level 36, should be spot on they money for Sen's, yes?

That's always firmly been Queelag territory in my experience. Hell, post-patch you can even get Depths summons around that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fun Times! posted:

Man I love relatively new game threads, answers come so quick. And yeah the connection in my apartment stinks because we don't have wireless and it's a bitch getting the ethernet cable across the room from the jack to the Xbox.

This question is just out of curiousity: How does the game handle saves? Can you have an unlimited number of files restricted by hard drive space or are there 3 available like in Zelda or what?
e. Wow now I got to reading about human form, it basically seems like turning PvP on in World of Warcraft. That's pretty neat. Are there other benefits/disadvantages to being human or is it a glorified PvP switch?

Not human:
-Can't be invaded
-Can't summon help
-Can invade
-Weak to curse

Human:
-Can be invaded
-Can summon help
-Can invade
-Okay curse protection
-Get extra NPC interactions, mostly through scripted NPC invasions

Keep five or so humanity items on you for emergency use (kindling bonfires) but apart from that the cool thing to do is to play as a human as much as you can. Yeah, people will invade you and gently caress you over. But that's really just a different flavor of Dark Souls as normally it's just the game brutalizing you instead of other people.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

neetz posted:

That's always firmly been Queelag territory in my experience. Hell, post-patch you can even get Depths summons around that.

Yeah, I figured it might be a tad low, since it's only like ~4 levels higher than what I averaged in Blighttown...

I was still getting Depths summons at 34, but decided I should finish up Sen's my myself so I can get to Anor Londo.

And since both I get more souls from the Golem than Gaping, and he typically goes down faster, I can get more souls per minute!

At least I could if it took less than five minutes of waiting to get summoned...and I didn't have a couple stupid deaths from the Golem grabbing me and throwing me off. :mad:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I wish the game would make some kind of special sound when you get summoned. I'd put down my sign in front of O&S's fog gate, and I was browsing the forums and making a drink. When I looked up, there was another sunbro and a summoner, standing at the gate, clearly waiting on me.

Then, when we killed Smough, they kept trying to fight mega-Ornstein in a corner of the little platform instead of luring him out into the center for some room to maneuver. The summoner died, and we two sunbros got punted back to our regular boring worlds.

That poo poo's embarrassing.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

a foolish pianist posted:

I wish the game would make some kind of special sound when you get summoned. I'd put down my sign in front of O&S's fog gate, and I was browsing the forums and making a drink. When I looked up, there was another sunbro and a summoner, standing at the gate, clearly waiting on me.

Then, when we killed Smough, they kept trying to fight mega-Ornstein in a corner of the little platform instead of luring him out into the center for some room to maneuver. The summoner died, and we two sunbros got punted back to our regular boring worlds.

That poo poo's embarrassing.

The sound will cut out during the loading screens. So if you're near a bonfire you can use that. Otherwise once you get summoned don't you hear the phantom zone in sound?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

KingShiro posted:

2nd Lightning Spear Miracle
Eye of Death
Dragon Eye summon stone
Forest cov. ring
Darkmoon cov. ring
Blue Eye Orb (maybe?)

The Greater Lightning Spear that you get from hitting rank 1 still works after you leave (personally confirmed, at least so far as I didn't unequip it, and I could still cast it). I believe the Gywn soul lightning is the one that is locked out.

Additionally, I've tried to branch out my playstyles after my first successful one (ended at SL125, heavy armor/zweihander lightning+5/pyro spam), and did a very fun paladin (med armor with wrath of gods, lightning, and emit force miracles). I rounded out the trio with one that has probably been the most surprising fun of all - a SL55 dex/int sorceror, wielding Velka's rapier and armed with an array of soul spears, homing soul masses, etc. It's amazing how many uses each offensive spell gets, especially after coming from a paladin, where miracles aren't really designed for offense. I can sling magic missiles for hours without hitting a bonfire, and that rapier can crit/riposte for almost 1000 damage!

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

So I just read the item description on the Sunlight Medal... Does that mean Solaire is Gwyn's rejected first born?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So out of curiosity I switched language to my sweet Italian to check the localization.

It is loving atrocious :v:

It seems everything but NPC lines has been put trough automatic translation and left at that. Item names and descriptions, location names... it all stinks of not-giving-a-gently caress.

Demon Souls didn't suffer from that.

:wtc: Namco

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sassafrasquatch posted:

So I just read the item description on the Sunlight Medal... Does that mean Solaire is Gwyn's rejected first born?

Nah, I'm pretty sure it means that the Warriors of Sunlight worship the God of War who is Gwyn's firstborn. You sacrifice Gwyn's soul to his son and he gives you a big honking lightning bolt that his father once wielded.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did the patch buff the poo poo out of the forest people or am I just really out of practice?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

NESguerilla posted:

Did the patch buff the poo poo out of the forest people or am I just really out of practice?

The latter. The fog ring dude still stands around like a moron, and everyone else behaves the same too

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

KingShiro posted:

2nd Lightning Spear Miracle

Nope! :sun:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ball Stink posted:

The latter. The fog ring dude still stands around like a moron, and everyone else behaves the same too

I must have just been really over leveled because they seem to have 10 times more life now.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

NESguerilla posted:

I must have just been really over leveled because they seem to have 10 times more life now.

You can always train them off the ledges if you wanted but I'm sure you know that

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
They're actually pretty fun to fight, after you get rid of the magic missle one.
Big fuckoff axe guy especially. Good challenge.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

zachol posted:

They're actually pretty fun to fight, after you get rid of the magic missle one.
Big fuckoff axe guy especially. Good challenge.

I agree, and the lower level you are the more fun. Going back to what I said earlier about Lautrec. I also try to fight the crescent warrior in town very early too. The fights last a realllllllllly long time but are always more fun than boss fights.

edit: I wish there were more HUMANOID mini/boss fights.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really enjoy fighting them too. I'm not having a problem killing them, I just remember slicing through them like butter in my previous playthroughs and they are actually pretty menacing now. I did wait to open the door until like, post Anor Londo the first time though and I opened it right after the Parish this time.

I seriously don't remember the caster even having a shield before.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Toiwat posted:

So out of curiosity I switched language to my sweet Italian to check the localization.

It seems everything but NPC lines has been put trough automatic translation and left at that. Item names and descriptions, location names... it all stinks of not-giving-a-gently caress.

That's not the only thing Atlus shelled out for (good game manual, dedicated servers) on a completely new IP from a cult developer that the much larger Bandai Namco couldn't be bothered to finance for a highly anticipated sequel. Funny how that works. Maybe I'm missing part of the story though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

swamp waste posted:

That's not the only thing Atlus shelled out for (good game manual, dedicated servers) on a completely new IP from a cult developer that the much larger Bandai Namco couldn't be bothered to finance for a highly anticipated sequel. Funny how that works. Maybe I'm missing part of the story though.

Not really. Bamco is terrible. It's a stroke of luck that Dark Souls turned out as well as it did, given their history of atrocious mismanagement.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Not really. Bamco is terrible. It's a stroke of luck that Dark Souls turned out as well as it did, given their history of atrocious mismanagement.

To be honest, DeS came with its fair share of problems as well. Shadows, anyone?

There are, however, a couple of serious design and balance issues with DaS (too many covenants, pyro too powerful and not counting in soul level, frame rates). Without those, the game would've been near perfect. I think one of the posters earlier in this thread said it best; I wish From would come up with a finished game for once. Seriously, screw the deadlines and make sure you get everything right, without descending into feature bloat.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Meh, it has it's problems sure but I've probably sunk 200 hours if not more into Dark Souls which is more then I can say for 99% of games I play. I have two games from gamefly I've hardly even touched because of Dark Souls.

So no, it's not perfect, but really what is? I'd have liked for a few things to be better sure but I really can't complain. I've more then got my $60 worth and the game still keeps me entertained night after night.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
waaah i hit solaire :(

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

oneliquidninja posted:

So no, it's not perfect, but really what is? I'd have liked for a few things to be better sure but I really can't complain. I've more then got my $60 worth and the game still keeps me entertained night after night.

As much as I could (and do) nitpick about Dark Souls' various problems, the end product is still perhaps my favorite action RPG in the history of the genre. Hell, I think it's a better game than Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, as it provides a healthy challenge along with the expansive and cohesive game world, rewarding exploration, and multiple play styles. I can't even remember the last time I immediately wanted to replay a game of this length upon completing it—that may have been Symphony of the Night, actually.

Lost Trousers
Apr 20, 2007
Honey, Have You Seen My pants?
finally beat queelag, went on to get the lava guy too. looked at a guide that said I should go for the fire ember in the lava basin, PAST the 6 or 7 taurus demons that I have to pick off one by one.

gently caress that.

I decide to put on the fire resist cloak that you pick up before the lava boss and make a run along the cliff edge for the ember. This gets me close but the lava still kills before i can get to it.

However on my last attempt I get surrounded, knocked back and fall down the ledge. I was ready to quit and do something productive when, still on the death screen, not one but TWO of the demons fall down after me.

I go and check when I revive and sure enough, there are two less demons.

Three deaths later and I have cleared them all out. my favorite was when I got three of them off the edge in one go, each of them falling after each-other in the exact same pose

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Sorcerer is all fun and games until you get to the Carpa Demon

Nope, Aural Decoy works on him AND the dogs. Sorcerers are ridiculous. :toot:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Lost Trousers posted:

finally beat queelag, went on to get the lava guy too. looked at a guide that said I should go for the fire ember in the lava basin, PAST the 6 or 7 taurus demons that I have to pick off one by one.

gently caress that.

I decide to put on the fire resist cloak that you pick up before the lava boss and make a run along the cliff edge for the ember. This gets me close but the lava still kills before i can get to it.

However on my last attempt I get surrounded, knocked back and fall down the ledge. I was ready to quit and do something productive when, still on the death screen, not one but TWO of the demons fall down after me.

I go and check when I revive and sure enough, there are two less demons.

Three deaths later and I have cleared them all out. my favorite was when I got three of them off the edge in one go, each of them falling after each-other in the exact same pose

You can just wait until you get the ring that lets you resist lava damage :shobon:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ixjuvin posted:

You can just wait until you get the ring that lets you resist lava damage :shobon:

Yeah but you get that after that part. Also, you just need to beat the chaos boss for most of that lava to go away.
You don't get the ring until after you've pasted that part and beat the centipede boss.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Here's a dumb question. Do you have to be hollow for the crow to carry you back to the Undead Asylum? (For some reason, its not picking me up.) I spent most of my first playthrough hollowfied as to prevent rear end-hat invaders, but now I'm chuggin' around as a Human in NG+ to try and get all of the random NPC invasions proc'd.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

AlternateNu posted:

Here's a dumb question. Do you have to be hollow for the crow to carry you back to the Undead Asylum? (For some reason, its not picking me up.) I spent most of my first playthrough hollowfied as to prevent rear end-hat invaders, but now I'm chuggin' around as a Human in NG+ to try and get all of the random NPC invasions proc'd.

Well you have to stay in the nest for a while the first time, maybe you're not waiting long enough?
I can't say I've ever tried it as a human, though, and it would make a kind of sense that you wouldn't be able to.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I don't think it matters, but it does take a while for the crow to pick you up the for the first return trip, maybe about a minute at most. So just curl up into a ball and wait and it should eventually happen.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

homewrecker posted:

I don't think it matters, but it does take a while for the crow to pick you up the for the first return trip, maybe about a minute at most. So just curl up into a ball and wait and it should eventually happen.

Ok. Confirming that I was just not waiting long enough. And thanks to that Titanite slab, I'm getting my stabby-stabby on with a Sunlight Blade'd +15 Estoc. :black101:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just got the symbol of avarice, and holy crap it's hilarious running around with that on my head. I used the talisman trick, but multiple times. I don't know if I saw anyone mention it this way.

I took out a weak weapon and hit the mimic so he stood up, then threw a talisman at him and he went to sleep. I walked up and was able to get the normal item from him, no hat though. Then I poked him again and threw another talisman at him and he fell back asleep and this time I was able to grab the hat from him. I am guessing you might be able to just poke and talisman him indefinitely until you get the symbol of avarice.

I really wish I had this when I was sunbroing for O&S, I want to coop with a big rear end tongue flopping around .

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Toiwat posted:

To be fair, localization for Atlus is their bread and butter. It's literally the one thing they are known for doing better than any other company.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Thundercracker posted:

To be fair, localization for Atlus is their bread and butter. It's literally the one thing they are known for doing better than any other company.

Namco Bandai did the European localization for Demons Souls so it's a bit confusing if the Dark Souls localization is that much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
just got through Sen's Fortress, I died a LOT. gently caress those axes & electro lizard dudes......

I got the lightning spear too, pretty neat. When I got to the boss the guy I summoned to help managed to jab him off the tower!! Easiest 40k souls ever :)

• Locked thread