Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Just get a $5k car and call it a day.

Looks like there are a number of slightly older civics in that price range on CL.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2737367567.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2725665237.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2710855794.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2712180887.html

Holy crap I wasnt even looking in the east bay on craigslist. Lot more stuff over there for sale.... Welp I guess I should just get a 5k honda or something! I feel better about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

See if your new job is anywhere near Caltrain, because gently caress commuting up and down from SF to Cupertino every day (take 280 if you possibly can, but still, ugh).

By all means buy a $5k honda or whatever, but be aware that unless you're commuting non-commute hours, you're going to spend close to two hours a day driving in traffic.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

See if your new job is anywhere near Caltrain, because gently caress commuting up and down from SF to Cupertino every day (take 280 if you possibly can, but still, ugh).

By all means buy a $5k honda or whatever, but be aware that unless you're commuting non-commute hours, you're going to spend close to two hours a day driving in traffic.

Yeah this wont be close to Caltrain, the company does offer a ton of shuttles to the city for free though. But the commute times will be the same.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

PrettyhateM posted:

Yeah this wont be close to Caltrain, the company does offer a ton of shuttles to the city for free though. But the commute times will be the same.

If the time is equal I'd take the train, and put that $5k towards an iPad with 3g or something and stay way more sane.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
The other problem is I live in the inner Richmond district. It would take me at least 45 mins by muni to even reach the train.

Maybe I should just suck it up and take the shuttles. It will save me money and it has free wifi.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

PrettyhateM posted:

I live in San Francisco and I am starting new job in cupertino at the beginning of the year. This is about a 50 mile drive all highway. I havent owned a car in 6 years so its been awhile. But I have about 10k saved right now in my savings account and I was referred to this "broker" that people seem to love in the city. He showed me this car.
http://www.mycarguy-sf.com/2004-honda-civic-hybrid.html

Seems like a great deal maybe. But I am worried about the batteries in it. Either way I am just confused on what I should do financially...

Should I blow my entire savings on a car? Should I get a car loan from a credit union and put down a 5k downpayment on something? How does that work, do I find a car first then go to the bank or do I go to the bank first?

I am thinking what I should do is get a loan and pay about half of the car in cash. Then maybe the loan will help my credit? Or should I get a beater for 5k and call it a day?

Some things to consider, the smaller the car the better, parking in the city sucks. And since it is in the city I cant care if it gets banged up from people parking next to it. That being said maybe I shouldn't get an expensive car, YET I need a car that reliable to commute.

Ugh everything feels like a catch 22.

Buy a Smart car if you're concerned with the parking, and then drive to the Caltrain station and take the train to Cupertino. 50 miles one way is a seriously lovely commute and hard on any car, and taking the train sounds like just as good of an option.

Shipon fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 6, 2011

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

Shipon posted:

Buy a Smart car if you're concerned with the parking, and then drive to the Caltrain station and take the train to Cupertino. 50 miles one way is a seriously lovely commute and hard on any car, and taking the train sounds like just as good of an option.

Well the problem is the train will take about 1 hour to get down there, then on top of that I will have to find a bus or something that will get me close to work. The closest the train stops is a town over. Caltrain doesn't really seem possible, or practical.

I did a 2 hour commute a day, ten years ago and it wasnt that bad. You just get good at listening to podcasts and audio books. Hell I do two hours a day commute WITHIN the city right now to work. loving Muni.

Either way, I would actually like having a car. I havent had one in over six years.

Edit:
But lets say I do get a car and lets say I wanted to buy a used one from a dealer. Should I get financing first? Should I find a car first? What would be the steps in that situation?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

PrettyhateM posted:

Edit:
But lets say I do get a car and lets say I wanted to buy a used one from a dealer. Should I get financing first? Should I find a car first? What would be the steps in that situation?

For a used car your best bet is going to be having a loan ready from your credit union or similar compared to dealer financing. The rates will most likely be quite a bit lower.

1. Find a car you like at a dealer if that's important to you. If you want it, agree on a total price with the dealer, I'd ask for the bottom line all tax, fees, etc. You may have to put a deposit on the car so they keep it for you? I dunno
2. Call your credit union with the details of the car and your loan amount. Have them wire the money to the dealer or get a certified check or something.
3. Enjoy your new car.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
So many Bay Area goons! I should have figured, though. I should find a goonmeet :v:

Well, I am planning on getting a brand new car in late January or February. I have been told by countless people not to get a new car, but the deal is I'm taking a year and a half off of classes because I want a god drat car finally (I'm 23 and this is my first.) My parents weren't too big on the taking time off of classes thing and wanted me to pay rent.

We discussed it and since they've both had a ton of bad history with used cars, they would be fine with me taking the year off if I get a brand new car. I'm okay with this. I'm looking at a 2011 or 2012 Jeep Wranger or Jeep Compass.

The main question I have is how to go about getting it, I suppose. I'm already planning on having $5,000 ready for down payment, and I always just assumed I was going to go through the dealership. I was on the phone with Wells Fargo today about increasing my credit card limit(my only bank) and they recommended I go through them for a loan for a car when I eventually do it.

Before talking to them, I'd never even considering going to someone other than the dealership as an option. My credit used to be really bad but I've worked my way back up slowly. I'm at just about a 700 credit score at the moment, and I make about $2,000 a month at my current job. I figure without any kind of deal, the brand new Jeep I was looking at was about 25k.

I'm just talking in circles at this point, so I'll see if anyone has any advice for me. I saw the post above me, but my main question is if going through the dealership isn't the best option, should I go through Wells Fargo or try and find someone else who would do a better job?

I'm really new to all of this and the internet is really the only place I can turn to right now. Thanks, guys.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Have you done any research at all? The Compass and the Wrangler are completely different vehicles, even though they both say Jeep on the front.

The reason everyone keeps telling you not to buy a new car is because it's a monumentally dumb thing for a young person to do. It's even dumber to take a year and a half off of school in order to get a car.

Have you figured out what the real, total cost of this brand new vehicle is going to be to you? Gas, insurance, and maintenance are not free. You'll also be eating thousands of dollars in depreciation.

Your parents seem to be leading you in the wrong direction here. You're going to be on the hook for this, so be very cautious before you sign your name.

What kind of income do you have?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Wrangler with the 300hp V6 and 6 speed manual *is* pretty awesome. Plus Wranglers have some of the highest residuals in the industry. If you were going to buy any new car you could do much worse.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 20, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Wrangler with the 300hp V6 and 6 speed manual *is* pretty awesome. Plus Wranglers have some of the highest residuals in the industry. If you were going to buy any new car you could do much worse.

That is true, but dropping out of college to buy a new car is an abysmal decision and should never be entertained by anyone.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
I shouldn't have listed what cars I was looking at. I am not dumb and know the Wrangler and the Compass are completely different cars. I like both but I want to test drive both and see which I like better. Price is a thing I'll look at, too.

I didn't drop out of college. I am taking a year off and I already have some classes planned out for February. I live in a place where public transit is a loving horrible piece of poo poo and I'm tired of not being mobile. I could have stayed in school and still worked for the car, but it probably would have taken me years to just get the down payment, where as in the year I've been on break, I've cleared my debt, made enough for the down payment, and worked on my credit. Also, I would have been miserable. I'm happier with my life currently than I have been in years.

I make $2,000 a month, as I had already said, and I have no bills other than my cell phone. I know about insurance, gas, and I have two uncles who work with cars as their careers so maintenance shouldn't be too bad at all. Also, Jeeps are strong cars and keep their values well, which is partly why I'd want one, other than always having wanted one. I also will likely be moving out in 2 years, but, I still won't have to pay rent.

I didn't really think I'd be getting judgmental responses. I just was hoping for some help with what I've already planned on doing, which was how to go about doing the financing.

But thank you for your opinion on my horrible life choice.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Which Wrangler are you looking at, 2 doors or 4? I would think California would be a nice climate with the Wrangler's soft top. The base model manual trans 4x4 Wrangler and Compass are about the same price so I would go with the Wrangler.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

DarkestLite posted:

I shouldn't have listed what cars I was looking at. I am not dumb and know the Wrangler and the Compass are completely different cars. I like both but I want to test drive both and see which I like better. Price is a thing I'll look at, too.

I didn't drop out of college. I am taking a year off and I already have some classes planned out for February. I live in a place where public transit is a loving horrible piece of poo poo and I'm tired of not being mobile. I could have stayed in school and still worked for the car, but it probably would have taken me years to just get the down payment, where as in the year I've been on break, I've cleared my debt, made enough for the down payment, and worked on my credit. Also, I would have been miserable. I'm happier with my life currently than I have been in years.

I make $2,000 a month, as I had already said, and I have no bills other than my cell phone. I know about insurance, gas, and I have two uncles who work with cars as their careers so maintenance shouldn't be too bad at all. Also, Jeeps are strong cars and keep their values well, which is partly why I'd want one, other than always having wanted one. I also will likely be moving out in 2 years, but, I still won't have to pay rent.

I didn't really think I'd be getting judgmental responses. I just was hoping for some help with what I've already planned on doing, which was how to go about doing the financing.

Wanting a car is entirely reasonable. Spend 2 months salary on a used japanese midsize sedan (or an early 90's Wrangler, they are great) and another $500 or so per year to maintain it, which should be easy if your uncles are helpful. New cars are luxury items, like expensive watches or business class air tickets, get one when you can really afford it.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 20, 2011

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
2 Definitely. The four door looks too Hummer-y to me. The problem is, I really want the GPS and it looks like they want an extra $1000+ because you need to get the all out media center package.

And yeah, the Wrangler would be great in California. If I do end up moving out of state in a year or two, it would be to Hawaii most likely so it would probably fit in well there too :v:

sanchez posted:

Wanting a car is entirely reasonable. Spend 2 months salary on a used japanese midsize sedan (or an early 90's Wrangler, they are great) and another $500 or so per year to maintain it, which should be easy if your uncles are helpful. New cars are luxury items, like expensive watches or business class air tickets, get one when you can really afford it.

Add in the price of rent, then!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

DarkestLite posted:

If you don't want opinions on the financials of buying a new car, why did you post in a thread about "the financials of owning a car"?

You're young and you're going to do whatever you want to do, so just go ahead and do it.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
I wanted goon help and advice about how I should go about getting the car, which I am already set on. Should I have gone to a loan thread instead?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

DarkestLite posted:

2 Definitely. The four door looks too Hummer-y to me. The problem is, I really want the GPS and it looks like they want an extra $1000+ because you need to get the all out media center package.

Chrysler's Uconnect system is generally regarded as the best in the business although the Wrangler doesn't get the huge 8" screen that the 300 and Charger comes with.

Chrysler/Fiat uses it in most of their cars, it's pretty good. I think you should go for it.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 20, 2011

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

Throatwarbler posted:

Chrysler's Uconnect system is generally regarded as the best in the business although the Wrangler doesn't get the huge 8" screen that the 300 and Charger comes with.

Chrysler/Fiat uses it in most of their cars, it's pretty good. I think you should go for it.

http://i.imgur.com/oEu2T.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3959l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/g7nBh.jpg

Might want to make the last pic smaller so people don't bitch about tables, but yeah, I'm most likely going to get it. I'm really bad with directions, so, a GPS is high on my list and the built in ones are usually nicer. I'm probably going to go test driving on the 3rd of January.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

DarkestLite posted:

So many Bay Area goons! I should have figured, though. I should find a goonmeet :v:

Well, I am planning on getting a brand new car in late January or February. I have been told by countless people not to get a new car, but the deal is I'm taking a year and a half off of classes because I want a god drat car finally (I'm 23 and this is my first.) My parents weren't too big on the taking time off of classes thing and wanted me to pay rent.

We discussed it and since they've both had a ton of bad history with used cars, they would be fine with me taking the year off if I get a brand new car. I'm okay with this. I'm looking at a 2011 or 2012 Jeep Wranger or Jeep Compass.

The main question I have is how to go about getting it, I suppose. I'm already planning on having $5,000 ready for down payment, and I always just assumed I was going to go through the dealership. I was on the phone with Wells Fargo today about increasing my credit card limit(my only bank) and they recommended I go through them for a loan for a car when I eventually do it.

Before talking to them, I'd never even considering going to someone other than the dealership as an option. My credit used to be really bad but I've worked my way back up slowly. I'm at just about a 700 credit score at the moment, and I make about $2,000 a month at my current job. I figure without any kind of deal, the brand new Jeep I was looking at was about 25k.

I'm just talking in circles at this point, so I'll see if anyone has any advice for me. I saw the post above me, but my main question is if going through the dealership isn't the best option, should I go through Wells Fargo or try and find someone else who would do a better job?

I'm really new to all of this and the internet is really the only place I can turn to right now. Thanks, guys.

I went through the dealership financing when I got my new car this year. Compare the rates they will offer you with your bank. Go with the lowest unless you have some other perks you can get. The dealership will handle all the finance stuff so just make sure you don't get screwed on the numbers when you go to buy it.

Work from the total out the door price, not monthly payments or anything else. Is your $25k including gst, freight, etc etc or is that just the MSRP? Consider the extra costs for a new vehicle that you might want done like 3m paint protection, summer/winter tires if applicable, and all that. Also remember you will lose thousands of dollars as soon as you buy it. That $25k jeep will be worth $20k as soon as you drive it off the lot most likely, just something to keep in mind.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DarkestLite posted:

Add in the price of rent, then!

Will your parents kick you out if you buy a used car with your own cash or something? It seems pretty clear that you're determined to proceed with your plan so do whatever you want, I'm just curious.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

DarkestLite posted:

I wanted goon help and advice about how I should go about getting the car, which I am already set on. Should I have gone to a loan thread instead?

There's a whole subforum for cars, not sure why you're coming here and ignoring everybody's financial advice.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

DarkestLite posted:

Might want to make the last pic smaller so people don't bitch about tables, but yeah, I'm most likely going to get it. I'm really bad with directions, so, a GPS is high on my list and the built in ones are usually nicer. I'm probably going to go test driving on the 3rd of January.

To answer your financing question, agree on a total price with the dealer (not a monthly payment) and then look for financing. Then go for the financing with the lowest rate over the time period you can afford. My second piece of advice that you will hopefully listen to is get the Wrangler, people will always want them. At least the previous version of the compass was a turd that likely no one wants to buy used, so just get the Wrangler already.

Now on the to the real advice that you will ignore: Don't buy a new car. Cars are the great money-suck of the country. Cars are necessary, yes, but people borrow large sums of money for brand new cars that lose value. The general rule of thumb for financial types is "Do not borrow money for something that goes down in value". You're getting bent over both ways, you're paying for the privilege of buying something at top-dollar price, and then it loses a bunch of value at the same time.

You're not exactly swimming in cash, you're going to be dropping way too close to half of that $2k/mo on payments, insurance, and gas. Does it sound smart to spend half of your money just on car stuff every month?

This is not meant to be an insult so don't freak out, but your parents are probably not very smart with money if they somehow think this is a better idea than buying a reliable, used car. Surely since your uncles are mechanics they could find a reasonable, reliable used car for MUCH less than the cost of a brand new Jeep whatever.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Alright goons, I come for some advice.

I need a new car. I'm driving the Hyundai Tiburon I've had since high school (about 8 years now, it was used when I got it), I've put about 100k miles on it and it's certainly served me well but I need something else because this thing is on it's last legs. Plus it is absolutely awful in any kind of bad weather and my state gets all kinds of weather. So let's just say I need a different car.

Take home pay is about $2800 a month. (This will turn into $3200 a month in June). $700 rent, various other bills, no debt except a $10k federal student loan that I pay $125 a month on. No kids. I drive 61 miles roundtrip for work and so I need a car that is light on gas. But like I said, I put a ton of miles on my car, so I need something that can take the punishment.

I've been considering a new car in the $20k range - Elantra, Focus - they seem better than ever in terms of quality for your buck. BUT the car payments I've been calculating are kinda blowing my mind. Granted I've never had a car payment before, but I'm getting like $300 per month for 5 years. That's with a $5000 down payment/trade in. On a $20,000 car. What the hell? I thought this was the lower price range?

So that seems expensive for something that, like everyone says, depreciates terribly. But I also don't want to buy something that is gonna wear down quickly. And I would like something comfortable as I spend almost 2 hours in the car every day.

So when is it worth it to buy a new car?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you really like new car smell, and/or must have a specific set of options that is difficult to find used, and/or you want a car that when found used has often been beaten on hard (i.e. sports cars).

Commuter? Go back a year or two and save a shitload.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
20k is well above the lower price range. The Nissan versa starts at 10,900.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

AndrewP posted:

I've been considering a new car in the $20k range - Elantra, Focus - they seem better than ever in terms of quality for your buck. BUT the car payments I've been calculating are kinda blowing my mind. Granted I've never had a car payment before, but I'm getting like $300 per month for 5 years. That's with a $5000 down payment/trade in. On a $20,000 car. What the hell?

Simple division. Makes you really appreciate how much $20,000 is when it's laid out as $333/mo for 5 years, eh? That's not even taking interest into account.

quote:

I thought this was the lower price range?

New cars are loving expensive, even the "cheap" ones. Now you see why we don't recommend buying new cars without having significant expendable income.

You can of course use that to your advantage to spend less money total, but the $12-20k segment of the used car market is IMO the sweet spot for buying a nice used car. For ~$15k you have a huge choice of nice cars that are only 3-7 years old in pretty much any style from most any brand, be it econobox, family, sporty, luxury, utility, offroad, you name it.

My car cost almost $45,000 in 2004, but I bought in 2010 for $15,000 in still like-new condition with only 55k miles. That's some brutal depreciation. It's still essentially a new car has all the records for up to date maintenance. Of course cost of ownership will be more than a Civic or similar, but generally not substantially so if you buy known reliable models. Definitely not recommended as the most financially prudent decision if you are on a tight budget, but if you've got some disposable income and like nice cars and don't mind spending a little extra...

Edit: Oh, sorry, forgot this thread isn't in AI. But still...

Guinness fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 21, 2011

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

DarkestLite posted:

I make about $2,000 a month at my current job. I figure without any kind of deal, the brand new Jeep I was looking at was about 25k.

Others have mentioned this, but just so you know - you can't afford that car. Is that 2K a month after taxes? Even if it is, let's figure you put 5K down (smart, now you're not upside down). You have a ~23k loan (sales tax, PDI, Frieght, etc) . You want that paid off before the warranty runs out right? So let's say in 4 years you want to be free. If you can't pay the car off soooner than that you definitely cannot afford it. So let's assume $500/month in payments.

That's 25% of your income. Now you figure in gas, insurance, maintenance - you're well into something like 35%-40% of your income.

In short, this is a dumb idea. But enjoy that yoke around your neck dude.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

Now on the to the real advice that you will ignore: Don't buy a new car. Cars are the great money-suck of the country. Cars are necessary, yes, but people borrow large sums of money for brand new cars that lose value. The general rule of thumb for financial types is "Do not borrow money for something that goes down in value". You're getting bent over both ways, you're paying for the privilege of buying something at top-dollar price, and then it loses a bunch of value at the same time.

This is not meant to be an insult so don't freak out, but your parents are probably not very smart with money if they somehow think this is a better idea than buying a reliable, used car. Surely since your uncles are mechanics they could find a reasonable, reliable used car for MUCH less than the cost of a brand new Jeep whatever.

I don't really agree with this. I believe making smart financial decisions allows you to use that money to buy things that improve your quality of life and that you will enjoy. I won't say that a new car makes any kind of financial sense because of depreciation and everything else, but some people really love cars. I consider myself pretty smart with my money, which is why I was able to buy myself a new car, the car I had been wanting for 2 years, earlier this year. Was it the smartest purchase I could have made? No. I could have gotten a used reliable car that had already taken the depreciation hit. But I have yet to regret my decision. I was able to buy exactly what I wanted and I'm just as excited to drive it around now as I was when I first got it.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Guinness posted:

My car cost almost $45,000 in 2004, but I bought in 2010 for $15,000 in still like-new condition with only 55k miles. That's some brutal depreciation. It's still essentially a new car has all the records for up to date maintenance. Of course cost of ownership will be more than a Civic or similar, but generally not substantially so if you buy known reliable models. Definitely not recommended as the most financially prudent decision if you are on a tight budget, but if you've got some disposable income and like nice cars and don't mind spending a little extra...

Used cars are gamble unless you know about cars. Yeah you and I can walk away with some great deals. Or you can end up like my GF and pay 13k for 4 year old "Certified Preowned" Civic that doesn't even have power windows and had clearly been in a crash at some point in it's life - oh and her father helped her buy it. When we first met she was convinced that she got a great deal because the MSRP on that civic was over 20k when new!

Buying used cars is a huge hassle and a gamble
How long did it take you to find this 6 year old car for $15k?
How many cars did you have to look at first?
Was it REALLY 45k or was it 45k MSRP but selling at the 40k invoice with a 5k rebate and 0% interest for 6 years making it really a 33k car?

My daily driver was bought brand new, MSRP of 32k, paid 25k out the door. That's not a great deal either by the way. I just needed a car NOW because my old car blew a hole in the engine.

I've helped a lot of friends buy used cars, I've seen dealers and private sellers try to sell so many broken money pits that I have a really tough time recommending buying used to anyone who is not knowledgeable about cars. Oh and if you go looking, bring a ODB2 scanner - I'm serious. One of the cars we looked at had the check engine light bulb missing just to make it look like it wasn't throwing a code. You really can't trust anyone - including Carfax. The Carfax to my car is still 100% clean and it's been in the body shop with it's entire passenger side torn by a guard rail.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

Used cars are gamble unless you know about cars. Yeah you and I can walk away with some great deals. Or you can end up like my GF ...

Was it REALLY 45k or was it 45k MSRP but selling at the 40k invoice with a 5k rebate and 0% interest for 6 years making it really a 33k car?

Yep, totally agree and I know full well. That's why I added my little comment at the end mistakenly thinking this thread was in AI. I should have just removed that bit from my post after realizing this is the BFC thread, not the AI thread, but oh well. If you are car-dumb and don't want to spend some time learning, buying used cars is a pretty huge crapshoot and you'll probably end up like your GF and get a terrible deal on a terrible lemon. Right now, used car prices on late model economy cars are so inflated that it can actually make good financial sense to buy a new car if you are financially secure, have good credit, and can negotiate a good price. But that's really only true in the economy car segment, as the more upmarket cars (anything over ~30k new) still depreciate like crazy in the first few years.

But I am a car nut, know exactly what I want(ed), every detail and pitfall of what I wanted, and I spent 6 months of casually watching car ads passing over many other cars in the process (obviously I wasn't in a hurry to buy). I in no way expect "normal" people to want to do anything even close to that much research and waiting. And yes, it was really a 40-45k car (04 BMW 330Ci sport/premium/cold + more), I've got the original receipts buried in with the maintenance records somewhere. Bought it from the original owner who took OCD-level care of it, and couldn't be happier. Has been entirely problem-free for me, but will be due for its "big" scheduled inspection/maintenance in 6 months or so. Will probably run around $800-1500 at an indy specialist shop, depending on what needs attention. If that number scares you, or the idea of scheduled/preventative maintenance is foreign to you, it's probably best for you to stick to Corollas and Civics, though it's a lot easier to plan and budget for worst-case preventative maintenance than it is surprise broke-down-on-the-side-of-the-road maintenance. :)

Okay I promise I'll keep the AI-chat out of this thread from now on and stick to purely financially-optimal discussion.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 21, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

FileNotFound posted:

Used cars are gamble unless you know about cars.

He has uncles that know about cars. He even wants a Wrangler, which are incredibly easy to maintain and mechanically bulletproof.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Buy a BMW so you can talk about YOUR BMW[series][trim level][option package][mods][more] in every thread.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
Well took some advice from this thread and I got a used car last Saturday! Got a auto loan from my credit union at 2.99% on 15k.

I did a ton of research and I was able to find a 2006 Toyota Matrix with 47k miles for $12,990. Couple of my buddies took me to go car shopping all day and we checked out the car. It is extremely clean, hard press to find a dent or scratch in the thing. The interior looks pretty good, though there is some small wear and tear on the drivers seat, and some of the pockets have gunk in them that the dealer missed when detailing it.

Took some time but I was able to walk away with the car for $11,110 and about $13,200 after taxes and fees. I really checked it out to the best of my ability, looked for leaks around seals on the engine, looked at the fluids and had them rev and listened for any exhaust leaks. Pretty happy with it, though I didnt think about this till it was too late and this guy doesnt have cruise control, that could suck since I will be using this car to commute 45 mins each way to work.

Overall, I am happy and should have this bad boy payed off by july!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

PrettyhateM posted:

Well took some advice from this thread and I got a used car last Saturday! Got a auto loan from my credit union at 2.99% on 15k.

I did a ton of research and I was able to find a 2006 Toyota Matrix with 47k miles for $12,990. Couple of my buddies took me to go car shopping all day and we checked out the car. It is extremely clean, hard press to find a dent or scratch in the thing. The interior looks pretty good, though there is some small wear and tear on the drivers seat, and some of the pockets have gunk in them that the dealer missed when detailing it.

Took some time but I was able to walk away with the car for $11,110 and about $13,200 after taxes and fees. I really checked it out to the best of my ability, looked for leaks around seals on the engine, looked at the fluids and had them rev and listened for any exhaust leaks. Pretty happy with it, though I didnt think about this till it was too late and this guy doesnt have cruise control, that could suck since I will be using this car to commute 45 mins each way to work.

Overall, I am happy and should have this bad boy payed off by july!

Cool, what are your payments and for how long?

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

AndrewP posted:

Cool, what are your payments and for how long?

So this is what I think I may have made a mistake on but I am not sure. I opted for the 60month payment at 220 bucks a month. I actually have 7k in cash that I was planning on going towards this car. So what I was thinking was making a huge payment of 7k for the first payment then from that point forward I can afford $650 payments till it is payed off. I triple checked with the bank, then again while at the dealer that I wont be penalized for early payment.

Does that make sense?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

PrettyhateM posted:

So this is what I think I may have made a mistake on but I am not sure. I opted for the 60month payment at 220 bucks a month. I actually have 7k in cash that I was planning on going towards this car. So what I was thinking was making a huge payment of 7k for the first payment then from that point forward I can afford $650 payments till it is payed off. I triple checked with the bank, then again while at the dealer that I wont be penalized for early payment.

Does that make sense?

Yep, so long as you're not going to starve without that $7k. And if something comes up you can always pay the minimum for a month or two. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Good choice on the car, it should be very reliable for you for many years. Good price, too for a 2006.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

FileNotFound posted:

Used cars are gamble unless you know about cars. Yeah you and I can walk away with some great deals. Or you can end up like my GF and pay 13k for 4 year old "Certified Preowned" Civic that doesn't even have power windows and had clearly been in a crash at some point in it's life - oh and her father helped her buy it. When we first met she was convinced that she got a great deal because the MSRP on that civic was over 20k when new!

Used cars are not a huge gamble in this day. There are all sorts of resources out there to help you educate yourself prior to buying a car. There are also resources out there to help you locate a qualified, honest mechanic that can take a look at it prior to purchasing. There are also lots of ways to figure out if the car you buying is a "good deal" or not. Just because you don't change your own oil or give a poo poo about cars, you really do owe it to yourself to make an educated purchase regardless of whether it's new or used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I'm looking for a little advice, plus an excuse to write down everything in my head for some clarity.

I currently own a 1996 Toyota T100 w/200,000miles (62,000 miles on used engine). It was bought used by my parents when we did a full renovation on their house. It was bought to assist with the big project, but it was "gifted" to me afterwards (an exchange for an ungodly amount of free labour) and I have been driving it daily for the past 3 years.

Over those 3 years I have spent a good deal of money on it, but have kept it in good shape. Replaced the motor, radiotor, water pump, ball bearings, rear brake drums, new set of tires and just recently a new set of front pads/rotors. I have all the receipts.

Unfortunately, it's starting to show signs of rust around the wheel wells. Typical toyota, the paint is starting to bubble right above the wells. Because of this, I'm considering getting out of this vehicle before the rust spreads and drastically reduces the re-sell value.

Is that a good justification, or am I just trying to rationalize getting something newer? I'm having a hard time finding a realistic asking price for my truck as it stands, since the T100 is relatively rare, and most of the ads I can find are American. In Canada, especially BC, Toyota trucks have a huge mark up, and I have seen my truck go for insane prices (8-10k) in the past. However, if the rust spreads exponentially in the next 2 years, I might get 2k for it as a work truck.
I was originally looking for full size trucks, but anything that fits my criteria (3-4 years old, very limited km, 4x4, extended cab) is looking to be 18-22k minium. I'm now looking at Rangers, and can find 2009-2010's with under 20km for 12-15kish. I know an extended cab Ranger is pratically a single cab F150 when it comes to rear seats, but the rear seats in my T100 are never used except for storing tools.

From a financial POV, I currently have about 9k cash on hand, and make 2,800 post tax/month. In Aug of 2010, when I replaced the engine, I started setting aside $500/month, to see how manageable it would be to have a car payment. It was tight but doable, but since I'm now looking at a compact truck, this has giving me a sizable downpayment. I also have a ~75k inheritance but have earmarked that for retirement or a house down payment.

I have the next week off, and plan to use that time to test drive some vehicles and get a ball park figure for what I can get for my current truck. I also have to make sure a Ranger fits the bill, since I will be using it to transport all my tools on a daily basis. They are not heavy enough to justify getting a V8, but might not all fit into a Ranger's narrow box.