Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Moose Bigelow posted:

Bill "Nolan Ryan and Robin Yount aren't first ballot Hall of Famers" Conlin

Bill "I'm surprised that guy (named Raul) would leave the blueberry harvest to send that email." Conlin.

fakedit: some of the rural areas outside of Philly are used to farm crops like mushrooms and blueberries; the harvest workers are predominantly Hispanic migrant laborers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bill "Mmmmm give me another piece of that tender rear end" Conlin

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

leokitty posted:

He can't be indicted because of the statute of limitations.

Here's the article http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20111220_Four_say_Philly_Daily_News_writer_Bill_Conlin_sexually_abused_them_as_children.html

If he managed to assault four kids before 1996, it's almost certain there's another victim who was assaulted after 1996. Just a matter of one of them coming forward.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I like how molesting children is cool there as long as you're able to hide it for 15 years.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

sportsgenius86 posted:

I like how molesting children is cool there as long as you're able to hide it for 15 years.

Similarly the Texas Judge who beat his disabled goon daughter with a belt couldn't be prosecuted because it happened in like 2003. Why the gently caress are there statutes of limitations on poo poo like this?

hcreight fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 21, 2011

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

hcreight posted:

Similarly the Texas Judge who beat his disabled goon daughter with a belt couldn't be prosecuted because it happened in like 2003. Why the gently caress are there statutes of limitations on poo poo like this?

The statute of limitations was abolished in PA in 1996, but it isn't retroactive.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The BBWAA is so goddamn dumb.

http://bbwaa.com/conlin-statement/

quote:

Statement on Bill Conlin, winner of the 2011 J.G. Taylor Spink Award:

“Bill Conlin has been a member in good standing of the BBWAA since 1966. The allegations have no bearing on his winning the 2011 J.G. Taylor Spink Award, which was in recognition of his notable career as a baseball writer.”

-Jack O’Connell, BBWAA secretary/treasurer
Dec. 20, 2011

Jesus loving Christ.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

The BBWAA doesn't kick members out for plaigerism; it was a foregone conclusion that this sort of non-statement would be their official response.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

hcreight posted:

I imagine that the idea of statutes of limitations is that if a person has demonstrated a lengthy enough period of good behavior, then we might reasonably assume that they are already rehabilitated and no longer a danger to society.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mornacale posted:

I imagine that the idea of statutes of limitations is that if a person has demonstrated a lengthy enough period of good behavior, then we might reasonably assume that they are already rehabilitated and no longer a danger to society.

There's also the fading of memories by witnesses, lost or compromised physical evidence...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Please God let a big Mike Lupica exposé be right around the corner.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Crazy Ted posted:

Please God let a big Mike Lupica exposé be right around the corner.

Hoping for a child molestation scandal hmmmmm

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zakharov posted:

Hoping for a child molestation scandal hmmmmm
A more likely Mike Lupica scandal would involve prostitutes, skipping out on payments, and the phrase "Don't you know who I am? I'm Mike loving Lupica"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

This is the same group of people who wont vote for players to be in the HoF for nebulous character issues.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Via HardballTalk, the BBWAA has made a second attempt at not being loving morons about Bill Conlin.

http://bbwaa.com/conlin-statement-2/

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Badfinger posted:

Via HardballTalk, the BBWAA has made a second attempt at not being loving morons about Bill Conlin.

http://bbwaa.com/conlin-statement-2/

At least that's a slightly less obvious way of saying "We're not doing anything, gently caress you."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A.J. Daulerio had a long conversation with Bill Conlin before the story broke. Click here if you want to read it. I'm not going to C/P it because the formatting will get all messed up if I do.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Two more women are claiming Bill Conlin molested them when they were children:

Number Five

Number Six

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I hope the BBWAA comes out to defend him every time a new accuser comes forward.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Crazy Ted posted:

A.J. Daulerio had a long conversation with Bill Conlin before the story broke. Click here if you want to read it. I'm not going to C/P it because the formatting will get all messed up if I do.

In a totally related story, the movie Shattered Glass was on HBO as I was waking up this morning, and I caught the second half of it where Glass is a sweaty mess trying out line after line on various people to avoid dealing with what he had done.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Why would the BBWAA say ANYTHING? Who gives a poo poo about the Spink award? It's a plaque and a speech that you can't undo anyway. Would anyone have thought less of the BBWAA head for a "no comment until the charges are resolved?"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zakharov posted:

Why would the BBWAA say ANYTHING? Who gives a poo poo about the Spink award? It's a plaque and a speech that you can't undo anyway. Would anyone have thought less of the BBWAA head for a "no comment until the charges are resolved?"

Because the BBWAA never misses an opportunity to try to overstate their significance

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
The treasurer made that first statement, too, which is one of the more confusing parts about this BBWAA aspect to me.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

ThatsMyBoye posted:

The treasurer made that first statement, too, which is one of the more confusing parts about this BBWAA aspect to me.

Wait, so was it just the treasurer running his mouth and not an official statement? Because then I can't really fault them for the second one, since they'd have to try to do something.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
No I think it was an official statement, but made by the treasurer instead of Shaikin the first time.

+ http://bbwaa.com/conlin-statement/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This kind of poo poo really highlights how rotten the BBWAA is.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Nah it's all good you guys, /conlin-statement/ is totally overridden by /conlin-statement-2/

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just wait until someone posts an article about how this is totally different (from Sandusky) because he was raping young GIRLS instead of young BOYS.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Bigass Moth posted:

Just wait until someone posts an article about how this is totally different (from Sandusky) because he was raping young GIRLS instead of young BOYS.
Look he's not a pedophile, he's an ephebophile.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Anime Reference posted:

I realize this was somewhat of a joke but that doesn't even apply and it's really not something to be joking about

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Anime Reference posted:

:siren: WARNING: GIBBIS DETECTED :siren:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Seven

Good god, he's going to have outdone Sandusky at this rate.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
From this article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/12/25/bengals.fans.plea.ap/index.html#ixzz1hf86OYEQ

"Franchise quarterback Carson Palmer then insisted he would sit out rather than play another season in Cincinnati. The Bengals eventually satisfied his request for a trade, sending him to Oakland during the season.

Although the Bengals got a first-round pick and a conditional second-rounder, for fans it confirmed the notion that the franchise is hopeless."

Huh?! Yeah, every Bengals fan around here definitely shouted, "This is bullshit! We got two high draft picks for someone who isn't even playing on our team? THIS FRANCHISE IS HOPELESS!"

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I have nowhere else to put this so here is Bob Costas promoing a Bulls game from 1979.

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/index.php?c=786

That hair. THAT HAIR.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Deathlove posted:

I have nowhere else to put this so here is Bob Costas promoing a Bulls game from 1979.

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/index.php?c=786

That hair. THAT HAIR.

that was 30 years ago, the man is ageless. He's like the Dick Clark of sanctimony.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Koons posted:

From this article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/12/25/bengals.fans.plea.ap/index.html#ixzz1hf86OYEQ

"Franchise quarterback Carson Palmer then insisted he would sit out rather than play another season in Cincinnati. The Bengals eventually satisfied his request for a trade, sending him to Oakland during the season.

Although the Bengals got a first-round pick and a conditional second-rounder, for fans it confirmed the notion that the franchise is hopeless."

Huh?! Yeah, every Bengals fan around here definitely shouted, "This is bullshit! We got two high draft picks for someone who isn't even playing on our team? THIS FRANCHISE IS HOPELESS!"

That quote isn't saying the fans were pissed about the picks, they were deflated by Palmer wanting out. When players want out (and it's not like he is the first to get disgruntled with the Bengals) it is pretty easy for the fans to feel hopeless no matter the return they get.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
I see what you're saying here and after reading it again I can see that's what the writer is probably saying.

However, the way it is written, it just seems to me that he/she is talking specifically about the trade, which was very, very well received amongst Bengals fans, especially considering that by the time it happened, Dalton had proven he was worthy. I think to say at this point, after the fact already, that saying the Palmer thing "confirmed that the franchise is hopeless," is silly. Honestly, anyone who is an actual fan doesn't give two shits that Palmer is gone and if anyone does care they're probably not really paying attention anyway.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

I dont think it's about Carson so much as it is about your franchise quarterback choosing to sit out or retire rather than play for your team. Thats gotta be a bad sign for your franchise, no?

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

dog poop n doritos posted:

I dont think it's about Carson so much as it is about your franchise quarterback choosing to sit out or retire rather than play for your team. Thats gotta be a bad sign for your franchise, no?

If they were 1-14 or something like that, then yeah. However, they are on the verge of making the playoffs, and it's not just Dalton. If Palmer would have stayed, I think they might have enjoyed equal success. What I'm trying to say is I just think he's a whiny bitch, so gently caress him anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Koons posted:

If they were 1-14 or something like that, then yeah. However, they are on the verge of making the playoffs, and it's not just Dalton. If Palmer would have stayed, I think they might have enjoyed equal success. What I'm trying to say is I just think he's a whiny bitch, so gently caress him anyway.

After seeing Hard Knocks, I will never blame anyone for not wanting to work under Mike Brown. That organization could be doing much better if he didn't nose in everything with frugality and nepotism running rampant.