Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
I actually was in home depot the other day eyeing a large chest freezer for multiple kegs and the estimated electricity usage a year was like $30 so i think you're about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Jacobey000 posted:

Pretty sure I'll be getting a wort chiller soon. I've been looking around and found pretty decently priced Stainless Steel wort chillers. Is there a performance difference between copper and stainless steel? Am lessening my impact of the chiller with stainless steel?
I use a stainless immersion chiller and I love it.
I seem to remember that the thermal conductivity of copper over stainless is a very non-issue for some kind if important crazy physics-based reason in a cooling coil kind of design.

On top of that, stainless tubing will be thinner than copper but still considerably stronger and easier to clean and keep looking nice.

mindphlux posted:

uhhh

so, I left a killawatt hooked up to my kegerator for a while, and took a reading

139 hours
2.66kwh used.

I think that translates to like 15 cents? that can't be right...

This seems right to me. I have an absolutely gigantic very old chest freezer and a 10" tall uninsulated collar for my kegerator and I was drawing dramatically less power than any other fridge or freezer in my house. It only kicks on a few times a day.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 21, 2011

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Cointelprofessional posted:

I used John Palmer's ratio and did 2/3 cup of white sugar with 2 cups of water.

Amount of yeast doesn't matter near as much as the amount of priming sugar when worrying about overcarbonation. No matter how many yeast you pitch they can only eat the amount of sugar that's left in the beer.

You said the bottle you had that was overcarbed was half full, which is normal. If you have too much headspace your beer will get more carbonated than if the same bottle had proper headspace.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hypnolobster posted:

This seems right to me. I have an absolutely gigantic very old chest freezer and a 10" tall uninsulated collar for my kegerator and I was drawing dramatically less power than any other fridge or freezer in my house. It only kicks on a few times a day.

well, I guess that settles the debate about the actual fridge portion of a kegerator being a major cost consideration!

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

j3rkstore posted:

Got my SS package today, thanks drewhead! German Altbier, Steam Beer, Cider, Braggot, Belgian Triple, Holiday Spice, and Witbier. Also pictured, honey bear filled with the take from his beehives :3:

They're all chilling in the fridge now and start in on them tomorrow!

Glad everything arrived safely. Cheers! Sorry I couldn't narrow it down to six bottles. :)

I'm anxiously awaiting my Secrete Santa delivery!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

drewhead posted:

Secrete Santa

Eww.

e: Sent out my yeast samples today. Expected delivery is the 27th, sorry it won't make it in time for Christmas. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 21, 2011

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
First brew post infection disaster. Dunkelweizen. Did a double decoction. Next time I do it I'm definitely going to make each decoction larger. Way off temps. Had to remove some liquid from the tun and heat/reinfuse. Other than that it seems to have gone well. Got around 76% efficiency (I say about because I don't have an accurate way of measuring volume in the kettle yet). Obvious activity in the fermenter a few hours after pitching. A quick whiff of the gases coming out of the blowoff smells right (no vinegar or other funkiness, just malty wheat).

2 lbs 7.9 oz Wheat Malt, Dark
1 lbs 11.7 oz Pale Malt
8.4 oz Caramel Wheat Malt
2.1 oz Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann)
4.0 oz Rice Hulls
0.327 oz Hallertau [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 14.0 IBUs

Wyeast 3068 of course.

2.5 gallon batch. 65% wheat. No I'm not that anal about the grain weights, that's just what BeerSmith spit out.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Sent out my SS today. Without being specific. The distance might mean it will get there on monday or tuesday, but I added a little extra thing to compensate.

EDIT: I'll give a hint: It's NOT a Therminator, or a Ranco Dual-Stage. Or tissue paper. Somewhere in between.

Darth Goku Jr fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 22, 2011

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Sent out my SS as well today. Should arrive there Friday :cheers:

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

Looks to me like perhaps he has been tasting the hydrometer samples, and has been for a while.

The best way I have seen to sweeten cider that is too dry is to use an unfermentable sweetener. Pretty much anything else you can add will just ferment out. Another poster here recently used xylitol (Xylosweet) to backsweeten his cider, and got a flavor he liked. I have heard of others using sucralose (Splenda) with good success also.

Pasteurization is something people talk about, but I have never personally seen it done by the home user. If you have a proven process, you might be able to backsweeten with regular sugar, honey, etc., and have it stay sweet, but it seems like a crapshoot to me.

When I talked to the people at the local brewing supply, they said that it would take 4 weeks to finish. To be honest, I thought that only meant that it would stop fermenting. It could be that it was supposed to help with the taste. The reason I thought that early pasteurization would work out well is that I would be able to simplify the sweetening and reduce the ABV a little. I didn't get the hydrometer until a little before I took the reading, so I can't say exactly what the ABV is, but I am pretty sure it is higher than I expected.

What I am facing right now as far as flavor goes is that it is so tart that I am not sure that it would benefit from any sort of sweetening short of a 1:1 ratio of sweetener to cider. I have tried mixing 3:1 non-alcoholic to hard and it is still too tart. I figure this is due to the amount of tannins in the mix. We press our cider with little fermentation and I ended up deciding to pour the last of the dark stuff in after pouring the clear in without considering how it would effect taste.

As for the pasteurization method, I used the method from this thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

I am hoping that this will age well. It isn't really bad right now, but I would like it a little more mellow. At least I swear that I have heard that cider mellows.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Hit that poo poo with some gelatin and put it in the fridge for a few days, then rack to a new vessel and taste. That'll pull a lot of the tannins out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For the secret santa thing, do we need to provide proof of shipping to anyone? I can't even remember who's organizing it at this point, but my stuff is shipped. :)

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I just opened a bottle of that cider I made 1.5 years ago. It used to be an unpleasant, tart, harsh drink, as recently as 6 months ago. Now it's got a mildly tart white wine flavor. So it does mellow, just very very slowly.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
My SS went out yesterday, I hope it is enjoyed!

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Eww.

I hadn't been back here since I typoed that and now I can't stop laughing.

quote:

e: Sent out my yeast samples today. Expected delivery is the 27th, sorry it won't make it in time for Christmas. :)

Poor me, I guess I'll just be opening empty bottles on Christmas day. :smith:

I keed, I keed. I'm looking forward to my package yeast samples.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean for that to be unclear, but you're not my secretee, it's someone else. Didn't mean to get your hopes up, dash them, and then maybe get them up again. :shobon:

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

drewhead posted:

I am your santa, and I haven't had time to ship. Things are packaged and will go out tomorrow.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

Got my SS today, not going to lie when I felt how light the package was I was a bit disappointed, but when I opened it up it was more than worth it. Four ounces each of Mt Hood, Willamette, Magnum, and Simcoe leaf hops for a freaking pound of delicious! My secret santa kept it really secret even afterwards. So, secret goon, thank you. Seriously.

For the record, their handwriting did not suck. Pic of the swag tomorrow.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Got my SS today, not going to lie when I felt how light the package was I was a bit disappointed, but when I opened it up it was more than worth it. Four ounces each of Mt Hood, Willamette, Magnum, and Simcoe leaf hops for a freaking pound of delicious! My secret santa kept it really secret even afterwards. So, secret goon, thank you. Seriously.

For the record, their handwriting did not suck. Pic of the swag tomorrow.

Holy poo poo that only took two days to get there?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bad Munki posted:

For the secret santa thing, do we need to provide proof of shipping to anyone? I can't even remember who's organizing it at this point, but my stuff is shipped. :)

It's good to know they're going out. I'm keeping track of who gets, most people have em by now.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

indigi posted:

Hit that poo poo with some gelatin and put it in the fridge for a few days, then rack to a new vessel and taste. That'll pull a lot of the tannins out.

That sounds ideal, any recommendation on how much gelatin?

The odd thing about this was that this wasn't my first batch, just the first one to complete fermenting. The first try ended with a broken carboy. gently caress carboys. I pulled a little off of that when I racked it and I really liked it. I am certain that it was incredibly low ABV compared to what I have now, but it was much more apple flavored. It was odd, I can only figure that I didn't do a good job or mixing the chems and yeast or something because the bubbler was going at a rate of maybe once every 30 sec whereas this last batch was bubbling nearly constantly for a while.

I read that opening the fermenter too often will oxidize the fermenting liquid, is there a rule of thumb for this? I would like to keep a closer eye on this the next time, but I don't want to end up with stale cider.

I am thinking of trying an ESB kit next, is that easy to gently caress up?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

stizu posted:

The first try ended with a broken carboy. gently caress carboys.

There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

Gelatin - one envelope of unflavored gelatin such as Knox brand. Here's a pretty good process I found over at (shudder) HBT:

Boil 1-2 cups of water.
Let water cool to ~170.
Add a tablespoon of Knox unflavored gelatin.
Let "bloom" for 10-15 min and cool to room temp.
Add to gelatin to secondary.
Add beer to secondary.

Stick secondary in fridge for a cold crash.

Instead of the italicized steps above, you could just pour it into your fermenter and then rack off the accumulated boogers a few days to a week later.

ESB kit - ESB is a vastly underappreciated style, IMO. I think non-beer people are afraid it will be very bitter and have been conditioned to think that's a terrible thing by the American brewery industry, while many homebrewers view the label as a hollow promise because it's not a 100+IBU grapefruit bomb. What it is, is a mellow, malty, delicious, easy-drinking beer.

As you have no doubt seen in this thread and its predecessors, there are some freakout points in the brewing process, especially in the first couple of batches. Overall, though, an ESB kit will tend to be less complex than some, and should therefore be harder to gently caress up. Don't forget we're all here to help you over the hump.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Haven't heard anything from my santee yet, so Magua, in case you didn't get notification, your leasing office has your SS package according to the fedex tracking and it was delivered on Monday.

Magua
Feb 26, 2004

crazyfish posted:

Haven't heard anything from my santee yet, so Magua, in case you didn't get notification, your leasing office has your SS package according to the fedex tracking and it was delivered on Monday.

I was actually there Monday, so I'm not sure why they didn't knock or leave a note. They had me worrying that they'd leave it outside now that I'm away from my apartment and I'd come back to find exploded beer ice in a box.

I won't be back for another week or so, but I'll let you know how awesome it is once I'm there to try it.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Ooooh, whats this?

I got a Key Lime Mead, aged ~3 years and a Black IPA from Acceptableloss.

I can't wait to give them a taste! Thanks!

As for mine, it's going out today...sorry it probably won't be there by Christmas!

:edit:
Also, since mine are going out late, I made some custom bottle labels for each of them.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 23, 2011

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

Gelatin - one envelope of unflavored gelatin such as Knox brand. Here's a pretty good process I found over at (shudder) HBT:

Boil 1-2 cups of water.
Let water cool to ~170.
Add a tablespoon of Knox unflavored gelatin.
Let "bloom" for 10-15 min and cool to room temp.
Add to gelatin to secondary.
Add beer to secondary.

Stick secondary in fridge for a cold crash.

Instead of the italicized steps above, you could just pour it into your fermenter and then rack off the accumulated boogers a few days to a week later.

ESB kit - ESB is a vastly underappreciated style, IMO. I think non-beer people are afraid it will be very bitter and have been conditioned to think that's a terrible thing by the American brewery industry, while many homebrewers view the label as a hollow promise because it's not a 100+IBU grapefruit bomb. What it is, is a mellow, malty, delicious, easy-drinking beer.

As you have no doubt seen in this thread and its predecessors, there are some freakout points in the brewing process, especially in the first couple of batches. Overall, though, an ESB kit will tend to be less complex than some, and should therefore be harder to gently caress up. Don't forget we're all here to help you over the hump.

I didn't realize that HBT is a dirty word. I plan to buy a better bottle for the beer. I was just pissed about a five gallon chunk of glass breaking in my hands, wasting 5 gallons of cider pressed from our apples and I had read at least a few times that a secondary isn't always necessary, especially with cider.

I must admit that I am a little foggy on how a cold crash works. Does the cold kill the yeast? The reason I don't understand is because, as far as I understand, lagers are fermented cold.

To be honest I haven't had many ESB's, but I had a Deschutes Bachelor ESB and it was mighty tasty. I also am interested in a recipe that i have an idea of how it's supposed to come out. As opposed to this cider experiment. At least I hope it will come out something like I expect.

Thanks for the gelatin procedure!

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

stizu posted:

I didn't realize that HBT is a dirty word.

Go back a few pages and find the discussion of the HBT thread about adding human remains to beer.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

stizu posted:

I didn't realize that HBT is a dirty word.

HBT is not a dirty word, really. There actually is some good info there. There are also nine truckloads of infighting and condescension for every thread. The signal:noise ratio is pretty terrible.

And yes, human remains in the beer is pretty hosed up. But what really gets me is the sifting through piles of idiocy to get the info I am looking for. I just don't read HBT anymore unless I am looking for something specific and Google points me to a thread and post.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

stizu posted:

I must admit that I am a little foggy on how a cold crash works. Does the cold kill the yeast? The reason I don't understand is because, as far as I understand, lagers are fermented cold.

Cold crashing helps drop the yeast into sleepytime and clarifies the beer, but there will still be plenty in solution for priming.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yesterday I stopped by my brew shop and they had guest speakers from Sierra Nevada come in to talk about their new Ovila Belgian style beer line. It actually has a really cool backstory. They got the idea of the line when they had a monastery come to them about doing a partnership with them to benefit rebuilding some of their property. They learned a lot from them and actually went over to Europe with a few of them to visit other monasteries and trappist breweries to really understand the process and I have to say, it really shows in the beer. All three of the beers are really good.

Strangely enough, I actually went into the shop to buy ingredients for a Belgian golden ale so the timing was nice.

7 lbs pilsen light dry extract
1 lb aromatic malt
1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade 3 min
1 lb candi sugar
.75 lb corn sugar
1 tsp irish moss
Wyeast 3787 Trappist Ale Yeast

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Ooooh, whats this?

I got a Key Lime Mead, aged ~3 years and a Black IPA from Acceptableloss.

I can't wait to give them a taste! Thanks!

As for mine, it's going out today...sorry it probably won't be there by Christmas!

:edit:
Also, since mine are going out late, I made some custom bottle labels for each of them.

Awesome. Glad they got there in one piece. I've been waiting for an opportunity to use that bottle shipping foam thing.

I tasted the black IPA the other day and it was pretty young. You might give it a few weeks to smooth out.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Would you mind sharing the recipe for the Key Lime mead?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

drewhead posted:

It's shipped. UPS 1zE21A350311631895. Just dropped it off at the shipper, so the tracking number might not be active yet.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

j3rkstore posted:

Sent out my SS as well today. Should arrive there Friday :cheers:

Got my package from you! For those interested, I got four well-packed bombers of pumpkin ale, vienna lager, hefeweizen, and hard cider (even got my wife excited - she doesn't like 99% of beers but she loves cider). Thanks a lot!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Another question on plate chillers:

I am planning to circulate boiling wort through the chiller for the last 20 minutes or so of my boil. The return port will have a 90 and a short length of pipe just inside the kettle, so it should create a nice whirlpool.

After flameout, should I continue circulating back to the kettle for whirlpool while I chill, or should I just go one pass through the chiller and straight into the fermenters?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Jo3sh posted:

Another question on plate chillers:

I am planning to circulate boiling wort through the chiller for the last 20 minutes or so of my boil. The return port will have a 90 and a short length of pipe just inside the kettle, so it should create a nice whirlpool.

After flameout, should I continue circulating back to the kettle for whirlpool while I chill, or should I just go one pass through the chiller and straight into the fermenters?

Depends on your chiller, and the water temp. Using gravity, and a 50 plate chiller, I get my wort down to 1 degree over water temp on one pass.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

What would you say your flow rates are like, both chilling water and wort, for that? That is, how long does it take to fill your fermenter(s), and how high do you crank up the chilling water?

Edit: God, drat, I, like, commas.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 24, 2011

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Would you mind sharing the recipe for the Key Lime mead?

It's just a typical mead recipe with about a pound of sliced key limes and actually a small amount of crab apples as well. It was terrible at first but it aged well I think.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

UPS says my Secret Santa package was delivered and signed for today, hope it made it ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

I got a package today. Heavy for its size. Haven't opened it.