Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Any Trine2 Players getting hit with a "Controller 1 disconnected" message coming up out of nowhere? I cannot get rid of it, or advance the game, forcing a quit to XMB, losing all progress for that stage.

Happend twice so far in the petrified tree stage, near the portals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

So I decided to try out Beat Hazard Ultra on Scyron's recommendation and holy poo poo is it a fun game. Playing on hardest difficulty with the visuals cranked up to 200% is hilarious fun :D

Edit: Speaking of PSN games, I noticed Dungeon Defenders went up on the PSN store today and it looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Kd7NTkqN8

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 21, 2011

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Apples to Apples is also out on PSN now. I played the physical version for the first time this year and it was pretty fun! No idea how well that holds up online without other people in the room, especially on PS3 where no one (including me) uses a headset, though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MUFFlNS posted:

Edit: Speaking of PSN games, I noticed Dungeon Defenders went up on the PSN store today and it looks awesome.

Dungeon Defenders is indeed a good time with 2-4 people. I've been playing the PC version. Curious how it translates to PS3.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

Dungeon Defenders is indeed a good time with 2-4 people. I've been playing the PC version. Curious how it translates to PS3.

I have it on the 360 and it is great fun without the headache of constant game balance changes via updates on the PC.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

MUFFlNS posted:

It's been out for a couple weeks at least! No idea what the PC version is like, but it plays great on PS3. My only complaint is, I feel like I'll never be able to afford one of those drat pets :(.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Someone wanna give me a laymen's rundown on Dungeon Defenders. I knew it was a PSn game, but also it came out as a sorta overly User-Interfaced iOS game earlier.

I like the color. The vids look cool but a little crazy. If I had to guess, it's a Tower Defense-like game where you are also a guy who can run around and fight on your own a bit?

I'd love a bit more detail on what it is and why I should want it. :) (If you don't mind talking about it some...)

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

Feenix posted:

Someone wanna give me a laymen's rundown on Dungeon Defenders. I knew it was a PSn game, but also it came out as a sorta overly User-Interfaced iOS game earlier.

I like the color. The vids look cool but a little crazy. If I had to guess, it's a Tower Defense-like game where you are also a guy who can run around and fight on your own a bit?

I'd love a bit more detail on what it is and why I should want it. :) (If you don't mind talking about it some...)

This is the meekest gameplay impressions request I've ever seen. Someone give this man the low-down, stat!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Feenix posted:

All I've played is the PC version, but here are some thoughts:

It's an active tower defense style game, where you wander around and actively fight monsters in addition to your traps. There are four different classes, each with different skills/talents/play strategies, and you can switch out different characters between waves. It's fairly loot driven, and you're constantly collecting money to buy new weapons/armour/pets from a store. You level up your character as well, assigning points to traits and skills. The traps/towers are the usual tower defense-y tropes, but the different characters vary dramatically in what they set down so there is room for strategy.

It's really meant to be played co-op. You can get through about two thirds of the game on your own with mild-to-minimal grinding (you can re-do levels you've done before), but eventually you end up having to protect three different cores in a sprawling level and its just too big (for me) to handle alone.

The art style is fairly cartoonish and fun. There is lot of loot to sort through, so if that is your kind of thing you're set. If you have someone you can play through the game with, that would be ideal.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Feenix posted:

You kind of nailed it already, but here we go.

You can choose between 4 characters (Knight, Monk, Wizard, Archer). Each character has a primary and secondary attack. I've played the Monk and the Wizard. The Monk swings his staff, and shoots lasers, while the Wizard shoots lasers, and does an area of effect explosion around himself. You can customize your name and color of your character.

There are around 6 dungeons that you are tasked with defending for about 5-10 rounds. Every round has increasing more and tougher enemies coming from a handful of spawn points to try and destroy your crystal. You build towers along the various pathways to your base. Towers range from AOE damagers or cripplers, to Indiana Jones bowling balls, magic walls, etc. You can upgrade any tower once, and repair it multiple times.

You build towers and upgrade things with mana that is dropped by enemies, and is hidden in chests during your Build phase (between each round). As you kill more enemies you level up your character, choose skills (like damage upgrades for you, or your towers), and gain access to more powerful towers.

Fighting with your avatar is nothing special, but personally I never sit passively behind my towers and let them do the work. I'm always hopping about, shooting ogres, blasting archers, and just racking up kills. As the rounds progress, you may have to be less active, as the horde increases in size.

It's a pretty fun, decent tower-defense game, and I'd say at the $7.50 I paid for it (gameshare), it's worth the money, I probably wouldn't pay more than $10. There's not a ton of content. If you want to level up, you'll be playing the same dungeons over and over, just grabbing new weapons, selling stuff, and hopefully getting pets and other things. The final level is hard as hell though, and I haven't beat it on 3 tries, so I'm sure I'll keep leveling up naturally that way.

efb

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 21, 2011

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Discount Viscount posted:

Apples to Apples is also out on PSN now. I played the physical version for the first time this year and it was pretty fun! No idea how well that holds up online without other people in the room, especially on PS3 where no one (including me) uses a headset, though.

Apples to Apples is seriously one of the best party games ever made. I think it loses a lot of the charm in digital form because most of the fun is sort of "playing" the other people. You have to know how your friends are going to react, because some of them will go for the comedy answer, some will go literally, some will go with their personal bias. It's such a great game.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SamBishop posted:

Apples to Apples is seriously one of the best party games ever made. I think it loses a lot of the charm in digital form because most of the fun is sort of "playing" the other people. You have to know how your friends are going to react, because some of them will go for the comedy answer, some will go literally, some will go with their personal bias. It's such a great game.

This is what kept me from buying it on the PSN, yep. It really is an amazing game but does require that human contact touch to make it really awesome.

Also: the answer to everything is Hitler.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 21, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SamBishop posted:

Apples to Apples is seriously one of the best party games ever made. I think it loses a lot of the charm in digital form because most of the fun is sort of "playing" the other people.

A lot of the fun is also alcohol, and in choosing a winner via severely spurious logic and shaggy dog tales that go on for ten minutes. I can't imagine online play would be very good for either, alas.

Maybe if someone made a Cards Against Humanity expansion...

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 21, 2011

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I'm pissed that the various specialty versions of Apples to Apples have identifying marks on the cards to tie them to that version. I want to mix the Bible and Disney cards in with the regular game, dammit!

If the digital version eventually gets expansions and allows for this then it might be worth a purchase.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Most inspiring Psalm?

Hitler.

Best Disney Princess?

Hitler.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
That port of Sonic CD is surprisingly well done.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Code Jockey posted:

Most inspiring Psalm?

Hitler.

Best Disney Princess?

Hitler.

I don't know why I hemmed and hawed around it, we were all thinking it.

Iskanderson posted:

That port of Sonic CD is surprisingly well done.

I played and beat the PC version quite a while ago, but didn't do all the funky time travel stuff to get the good ending. The price is right and I still have that free 6 dollars in my PSN wallet. I'm curious about the Japanese soundtrack as well.

Sonic CD and the original Sonic the Hedgehog are the only two classic-styled games in the series I've cleared.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Just beat SR3.

Well... drat this was a fun game. :aaa: Gonna tackle the side stuff now. There's... a lot of it. Not that that's a bad thing. Doesn't seem like it'll be too hard to plat and it should be a fun plat.

No real complaints. It was basically GTA sans any concept of sanity, plus a pretty good sense of humor, and that made for a really fun, goofy game. I guess the one complaint I have is that the brutes were just too much of a bullet sponge. Like I get it they're big and whatever, but coupling their health with the heavy weapons they carried plus the fact they were pretty much just as fast as normal ground troops [I think?] AND could gently caress up vehicles easily made for annoying fights.

Totally worth the $30 I paid, I'd say its probably going to have enough replay value to warrant the full $60 retail cost even.

e. Also, Sonic CD for PC krew :respek: I loved it back then and can't wait to dig back into it.

e2. Holy poo poo Sonic CD looks nice. And the minute the stage 1 music kicked in, I got kicked square in the nostalgia-balls. Oh man this rules. This is a really good port [at least from my first few mins of play]

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 22, 2011

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I picked up SR3 last night and played 7 hours straight. I wasn't that blown away by the first two missions as I saw videos of them played online but drat is the game fun once you start upgrading. I haven't beaten the game yet but I heard there are two endings based off choice. The only choice I had was blowing up the cloning building which I chose not to. Is that it?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Housh posted:

I picked up SR3 last night and played 7 hours straight. I wasn't that blown away by the first two missions as I saw videos of them played online but drat is the game fun once you start upgrading. I haven't beaten the game yet but I heard there are two endings based off choice. The only choice I had was blowing up the cloning building which I chose not to. Is that it?

No, there are various parts in the game where you decide what to do with a thing, and your decision influences something small. As far as I know, the only decision that has any bearing on the ending is the last one you make.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is Strangers Wrath any good? I loved the first 2 Oddworld games on the PS1 and was always interested in the game but never had a chance to play it.

Anyone played the HD version?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Housh posted:

Don't stress about the ending choice. It occurs during the last mission. You're actually encouraged to do both of the endings -- it's the only mission in the game you can actually replay.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ChetReckless posted:

Don't stress about the ending choice. It occurs during the last mission. You're actually encouraged to do both of the endings -- it's the only mission in the game you can actually replay.
This still bugs me. SR2 had this great replay-anything structure, which was a hoot, and now they... just took it out entirely? So weird.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shalinor posted:

This still bugs me. SR2 had this great replay-anything structure, which was a hoot, and now they... just took it out entirely? So weird.

It has been modded into the PC version, but its absence in the normal game is baffling. I just want to watch the cutscenes again with my new boss, I shouldn't have to play through the whole game again!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Is it possible to miss reports in VC? I didn't realise what they did initially and didn't view the first one until like a chapter later, so I'm worried I may have missed one.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Spalec posted:

Is Strangers Wrath any good? I loved the first 2 Oddworld games on the PS1 and was always interested in the game but never had a chance to play it.

Anyone played the HD version?

I played it and enjoyed the hell out of it on the Xbox when it first released. The HD version released only in Europe and Australia this week, while the US has to wait until next week. Having only played the original, I highly recommend it. The humor of the Abe games is still intact and the gameplay is pretty drat fun.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shalinor posted:

The mission replay feature generated so many bugs that they didn't have the time or manpower to come anywhere close to being able to include it. IdolNinja, the lord of the Saints Row modders, has already said that it's likely that the modded-in mission replay function may never fully function properly. He expresses sympathy for the game developers who wanted to keep it in, but said it was clear that they weren't going to be able to. If he reckons they had reasons to ditch it (while remaining as disappointed as the rest of us) then I'm not going to argue with his opinion which is far more qualified than mine.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is it possible to miss reports in VC? I didn't realise what they did initially and didn't view the first one until like a chapter later, so I'm worried I may have missed one.

I don't... think so? I beat it but I seem to be missing one still, there's like a slot at the bottom of the list that may intentionally be blank but kind of looks like something should be there, I'm guessing maybe it's unlocked with performance or something since I D-ranked nearly everything. Or there's just a space in the list.

I had a few times where I didn't check Castlefront, went back there and Ellet had like 2-3 I could "buy" from her, so I don't think you can permanently miss them...

e. I also created saves right before each "decision" in SR3 so it'd be easier to go back and get the trophies for them, kind of a pain in the butt but oh well

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think the last report unlocks in a second playthrough only.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I think the last report unlocks in a second playthrough only.

Ahhhh. I was kind of wondering why there was a start over with everything option, that'd make sense if so.

If my team kept their gear and skills like half of the game would be an absolute cakewalk :laugh:

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
I just finished Rayman Origins last night. My god does that game get hard at the end. Night of the Livid Dead will make a man out of you, I wound up staying up to 6am just getting through it and don't think I could have done it if I didn't have a co-op buddy.

I'd really reccomend it to everyone, it's pretty much everything a video game should be. It's beautiful, NES-hard, lengthy, and absolutely amazing to play with a friend. It might actually be the greatest 2D platformer ever made IMO.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
So I don't put any stock into this, but Gamestop has pulled The Last Guardian from their site. They're also calling people up and cancelling preorders.

E: Here is the audio.

Pandanaut fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 22, 2011

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Pandanaut posted:

So I don't put any stock into this, but Gamestop has pulled The Last Guardian from their site. They're also calling people up and cancelling preorders.

I just got this call a few minutes ago. The message specifically says that development has ceased and the game's been canceled. I haven't been able to find any more info on the internet besides the departure of the creator and executive producer.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but I actually thought the Last Guardian looked rather bland compared to SOTC. The idea of a buddy-monster system didn't appeal to me at all, and the small amount of gameplay in the trailer looked rather dull. I'm kinda hoping they are taking the Blizzard approach-- "this game doesn't mean our standards so let's can it".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Last Guardian will be the next Duke Nukem Forever(Though I guess Half-Life:Episode 3 already kind of has that spot).

So how is Trine 2? I'm playing Trine for the first time and really liking it, should I grab Trine 2 after I'm done?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cbouncerrun posted:

So how is Trine 2? I'm playing Trine for the first time and really liking it, should I grab Trine 2 after I'm done?

If you like substantially better versions of things you already like, then yes.
:)

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Trine 2 really outdoes the first, though I have ran into cheesing some of the puzzles because I lack a co-op partner. Like I should be able to solve all the puzzles in the game as a single player but I'm just finding it a gently caress ton easier to use a second character or repeccing the wizard and then respeccing back to what I had.

Currently I am stuck on this acid ooze stage. Only 2 levels left according to the stage select screen.

Also some of the items seems glitchy as gently caress and may or may not get permanently fused with the terrain geometry requiring a restart of the entire level.

Trine 2 appears to be one of the easier platinum trophies I'll have earned. Every trophy is a gold except 1, and a lot of the trophies are pretty easy.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pandanaut posted:

E: Here is the audio.

Gamestop messed up. It's not cancelled, but they're not going to put it back on their list of games coming soon.

from here

quote:

"The Last Guardian has not been cancelled by Sony as we incorrectly stated in an automated call to reservation customers. Because the game did not have a specific release date, GameStop made the decision to remove the game from our system. The Last Guardian will be reinstated for pre-order when a firm launch date is known."

Shuhei Yoshida, also confirms that it's not cancelled, multiple times:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Just beat SR3.

Well... drat this was a fun game. :aaa: Gonna tackle the side stuff now. There's... a lot of it.

It's so much fun to do the side stuff (assassinations, car thefts, challenges) and just goofing off that I haven't got around to finishing the game. I've completed 32/47 missions, but I only do one mission each time I play because the sandbox element is so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there a time limit on getting SR2 for buying SR3? My console's in the shop but if I'm going to miss out I might go snag it in the meanwhile.

• Locked thread