Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
I saw Mayhem last night and it was pretty cool. They moved the show to a different venue here in arizona than they had originally planned, and it's an outdoor venue that's not as loud and doesn't have as good sound.

Necrobutcher seemed pretty into it but the other 2 guitarists kind of just stood there. It was fun though, glad I caught them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Fans of Agalloch/WITTR/Nechochwen/Petrychor

Let's be best friends since you know Petrychor!

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Let's be best friends since you know Petrychor!

They've only been posted here and on blogs relentlessly for the past few months..

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Cold Day posted:

They've only been posted here and on blogs relentlessly for the past few months..

Yeah, I mean they're so not underground any more. What sellouts.

(Wha?)

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

So when Hellhammer got bounced from Dimmu because of his neck problems, why wouldn't they take him back once he was healed up? (I've seen Dimmu with Barker, Hellhammer, and Daray, and I'd take Hellhammer each time. Barker's a close second though.)

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Maybe they got sick of him being an rear end in a top hat

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

Maybe they got sick of him being an rear end in a top hat

It's true he does seem like an rear end in a top hat.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Yeah, I mean they're so not underground any more. What sellouts.

(Wha?)

If you haven't, Tad Piecka (the guy that is Petrychor) has some solo guitar stuff that is worth checking out. Not at all black metal, more in the Kottke/Fahey/Blackshaw vein, really beautiful work.

http://tadpiecka.bandcamp.com/

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

QPZIL posted:

It's true he does seem like an rear end in a top hat.

Let's be fair, we're discussing Dimmu Borgir too. The ignominious split with Mustis and ICS Vortex in recent history, everyone seems guilty of being an rear end in a top hat. I'm a little surprised Hellhammer would want to get back into the middle of that, if he's an rear end in a top hat himself.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

5er posted:

Let's be fair, we're discussing Dimmu Borgir too. The ignominious split with Mustis and ICS Vortex in recent history, everyone seems guilty of being an rear end in a top hat. I'm a little surprised Hellhammer would want to get back into the middle of that, if he's an rear end in a top hat himself.

I saw him with Mayhem last month. He seems a lot happier. Hasn't lost anything since his neck injury that I can see.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I bought some kvlt gear at Target

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cleanse the skin with the blood red suds of Old Spice.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
This album rules a lot: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Insane_Vesper/Abomination_Of_Death/306636

Grab it, tell me what you think.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Weaponized Cum posted:

This album rules a lot: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Insane_Vesper/Abomination_Of_Death/306636

you're absolutely right, loving sickeningly good.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

I think it's excellent and more people should listen to it.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I will never understand why Deathcrush is considered an original classic when it's a clear rip off from Triumph Of Death by Hellhammer.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Cold Day posted:

I will never understand why Deathcrush is considered an original classic when it's a clear rip off from Triumph Of Death by Hellhammer.

I've listened to them both twice just now and I don't hear what you're talking about. Hellhammer could barely play when they recorded that, mayhem at least had more than a few months on their instruments. One is fast, the other isn't. Maybe there's chord crossover, but the songs are nothing alike

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
I've had this TNBM poster signed by peter beste when I met him at his art / photo showing in I guess 2008 in NYC ... anyhow I never put it up or anything and I was wondering if anyone wants it ? I bought it for like $40 but you can have it for free. I don't have PM so I don't know how you can give me your address but I'd be glad to mail it for free ... the catch is that I had a house fire and I'm cleaning the room, so it might have some slight spots, otherwise it looks fairly mint.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Plasma1010 posted:

I've had this TNBM poster signed by peter beste when I met him at his art / photo showing in I guess 2008 in NYC ... anyhow I never put it up or anything and I was wondering if anyone wants it ? I bought it for like $40 but you can have it for free. I don't have PM so I don't know how you can give me your address but I'd be glad to mail it for free ... the catch is that I had a house fire and I'm cleaning the room, so it might have some slight spots, otherwise it looks fairly mint.

ianblake@gmail.com email me please

edit-- as a photographer and black metal fan, this would make my holiday season brilliant

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 13, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, I would have loved that. I have the book on my shelf, so amazing and a nice thing to bring up and talk about.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress, I would have loved that. I have the book on my shelf, so amazing and a nice thing to bring up and talk about.

Same here, it hasn't left my coffee table since I got it :)

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
same here, goddammit.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

QPZIL posted:

ianblake@gmail.com email me please

edit-- as a photographer and black metal fan, this would make my holiday season brilliant

You got it, check the e-mil and address me.

Hoof
May 17, 2009

I've made some noisy lo-fi black metal and I'd like to share it. It's a free album and you can find it here: http://armblast.bandcamp.com/album/psilosoma

Comments and criticisms welcome. It was my first time attempting vocals and I think it kinda shows but whatever. I recommend the tracks The Will To Power and Toothpick as they are my favourite.

On a side note, Absu are playing in my town in January and it should be dooopppee.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
I finally got a copy of the new Evilfeast album and the guitars are just not doing it for me as in his previous albums ... they sound less "full" then the previous albums, I'm not sure what he did with the production. I'm going to have to give another few good listens before I decide if I like the album much or not.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

So I made some lovely fuzz-ridden black metal for GBS' annual awful christmas music thread, you guys might get a kick out of it. i continue to crack up at the terrible transitions and misplaced cymbals and poo poo. filming a video for it in the mountains tomorrow.

behold.

One a side note, Ash Borer's 2011 self-title is loving awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74fv0vQ0tk

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh Black Metal thread, how I've missed you so.

Edit: fixing tags

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 22, 2011

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
Thy Catafalque - Rengeteg is my black metal AOTY 2011, I love everything Tamas Katai does, what a wonderful musician.

Gire rules, his solo work is cool and Thy Catafalque is the poo poo. Guy is cool as hell, too, you can talk to him on Skype anytime and he'll talk back.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Objurium posted:

One a side note, Ash Borer's 2011 self-title is loving awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74fv0vQ0tk

Yes, it is very loving awesome and you should watch this video.

http://killthatcat.com/2011/11/ash-borer-november-4th-2011/

Also, they're recording a record for Profound Lore right now, so I can't wait for that.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Did anybody grab that Mütiilation vampires 2XLP bootleg?

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
Sargeist came out with another 2 song EP and it's just classic Sargeist, in the same vein as Let The Devil In.

Check it.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Could I get some reccommendations for really melodic, energetic black metal with fast riffs, something akin to the opening to Gorgoroth's Satan-Prometheus or pretty much most of Windir's Svartesmeden og Lundamyrstrollet? I know that's pretty open-ended.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cobweb Heart posted:

Could I get some reccommendations for really melodic, energetic black metal with fast riffs, something akin to the opening to Gorgoroth's Satan-Prometheus or pretty much most of Windir's Svartesmeden og Lundamyrstrollet? I know that's pretty open-ended.

Arcturus, Ulver, Satyricon and maybe Dimmu Borgir (the early stuff for all of them). It's not quite the same, but close enough I think.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
What's some good blackened thrash? I've been really digging Skeletonwitch and I think that's where they fall on the black metal spectrum.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Let's see here, the last time I asked this question some people recommended this band for me.

Ruins - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGnmI0yTxJY

Also, does old school Behemoth count as blackened thrash? I suppose it doesn't matter, but the one song Nergal wrote as a tribute to thrash is absolutely sick. It's mostly due to the nasty raw sounding vocals on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3uF1bAfeA

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

What's some good blackened thrash? I've been really digging Skeletonwitch and I think that's where they fall on the black metal spectrum.

It kind of depends on how blackened you want it to be and also if it has to have the same sort of polish that Skeletonwitch has.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'll check out some Ruins, thanks!

I guess I'm interested in stuff that's more black than thrash and I'm not too worried about polish. What exactly makes it "blackened" anyway?

Basically I've just been consuming all the black metal I can. I've discovered I like Burzum, Windir, Emperor, Wolves in the Throne Room, Esoteric, Deathspell Omega and Drudkh. Oh and Absu, who I would go see for my first metal show ever this month if I wasn't working my new job then :(

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Have you tried Bathory at all? Blood Fire Death is pretty drat sweet to start with. I haven't really listened to much in the way of full albums from Bathory, so I'm not sure what else to go for. I'd also suggest some Darkthrone. Their newer stuff is sort of blackened crust punk while their older stuff is pretty quintessential (no pun intended) black metal.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I feel like this is a no brainer, but would Dissection count as well? Skeletonwitch definitely has the same vibe as Dissection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not sure if it counts, but Dissection is definitely a good band to check out. I also found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXWcdwpIAvE

I love piano covers of black metal. There are some good Transilvanian hunger piano covers out there as well. Probably some good burzum covers, not sure what else.